You are not an artist

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,466Gear list
Like?
You are not an artist
Apr 13, 2012

When you pull out your camera, you may be a photographer, but not necessarily an artist. I've read so many comments in this forum about how a person doesn't need a "portrait lens" so he is not interested in the Zuiko 45mm f/1.8. We currently have a thread approaching 150 posts where many people are questioning the need or purpose of the upcoming Zuiko 75mm f/1.8. Other people discuss their desire for "landscape" lens and, thus, the Zuiko 12mm f/2.

There is no word "portrait" on the 45mm or 75mm lens. There is no word "landscape" on the 12mm. In fact, those words do not appear on any lenses from any manufacturer (I'm sure someone will point out the exception that proves the rule).

You are not an artist if you cannot look at the possibilities that a lens offers and employ them creatively. If you avoid the 45mm because you don't do portraits, then you have no clue about the limitless potential of that lens. A gearhead will call it a "portrait lens" and pull it out when people are around. An artist will look at the lens and think, "Cool!"

I post some examples here of using lenses for purposes other than what the conventional "wisdom" demands. I do not call myself an artist, but neither do I pigeon hole any of my lenses for specific uses.

The Zuiko 12mm f/2 can do portraits:

The Zuiko 45mm can do landscapes:

The Lumix 8mm f/3.5 fisheye is more than a "gimmick" lens:

Are you an artist or a gearhead?

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
olddigiman1
Regular MemberPosts: 245
Like?
Re: You are not an artist
In reply to James Pilcher, Apr 13, 2012

Well said, Jim. But dude, it's DPR, of course it's gearheads
--
ODM

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mfj197
Contributing MemberPosts: 525
Like?

Completely agree!!

14mm doing portraits:

45mm doing landscapes:

Michael

caloymiranda
Regular MemberPosts: 314Gear list
Like?

Sometimes you need a wide lens to take in as much as your eye can see...it can be inconvenient to zoom out with your feet sometimes.

Wide lenses can certainly take portraits, but ordinary people aren't used to having cameras right in front of their nose.

But you do make a good point here. The pictures you posted here are very nice indeed.

I am a gearhead but i strive to become an artist someday.

caloymiranda's gear list:caloymiranda's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +4 more
Patrick2968
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?

All lens can be a portraits lens depends on what final image u want it will be. Btw i love my 45mm 1.8 so much when i take picture for my son

Tanngrisnir3
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?

Well, if I'm not an artist, can I be a unicyclist?

Nic Christie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,187Gear list
Like?
Well said
In reply to Tanngrisnir3, Apr 13, 2012

Its what you see, not what you use......

'The decisive moment'....
Always appears to happens when I'm not looking !!!!!

PEN EP-3 20 mm 1.7 and 45mm 1.8 FL-36R .
http://www.picnic4you.co.uk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/picnic4you/

Pic-nic4u

extension.

Nic Christie's gear list:Nic Christie's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,881Gear list
Like?

Nice pics.

Santa Claus looks a little overprocessed..... to me his skin looks overly smooth and waxey. Should he have wrinkles?

I like your use of the 8mm F.E. for the beach picture. How did you get it to look straight and not the usual F.E. curve?

Thanks for posting.

BTW: I'm a gearhead, not an artist.

James Pilcher wrote:

When you pull out your camera, you may be a photographer, but not necessarily an artist. I've read so many comments in this forum about how a person doesn't need a "portrait lens" so he is not interested in the Zuiko 45mm f/1.8. We currently have a thread approaching 150 posts where many people are questioning the need or purpose of the upcoming Zuiko 75mm f/1.8. Other people discuss their desire for "landscape" lens and, thus, the Zuiko 12mm f/2.

There is no word "portrait" on the 45mm or 75mm lens. There is no word "landscape" on the 12mm. In fact, those words do not appear on any lenses from any manufacturer (I'm sure someone will point out the exception that proves the rule).

You are not an artist if you cannot look at the possibilities that a lens offers and employ them creatively. If you avoid the 45mm because you don't do portraits, then you have no clue about the limitless potential of that lens. A gearhead will call it a "portrait lens" and pull it out when people are around. An artist will look at the lens and think, "Cool!"

I post some examples here of using lenses for purposes other than what the conventional "wisdom" demands. I do not call myself an artist, but neither do I pigeon hole any of my lenses for specific uses.

The Zuiko 12mm f/2 can do portraits:

The Lumix 8mm f/3.5 fisheye is more than a "gimmick" lens:

Are you an artist or a gearhead?

Jim Pilcher

-- hide signature --

Like others here, I suffer from chronic GAS.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +6 more
Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,415
Like?

When I am just taking photos for my fun, I like to use a prime (

dcassat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
Work on being less

of a gear-head and more creative. Yes, the 45 is a wonderful lens, EVEN for landscapes! Am I an artist? Yes, of course. We are all.

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
James Pilcher
Like?
touché (n/t)
In reply to olddigiman1, Apr 13, 2012

olddigiman1 wrote:

Well said, Jim. But dude, it's DPR, of course it's gearheads
--
ODM

Jim Pilcher

Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
James Pilcher
Like?
I will likely never be an artist
In reply to caloymiranda, Apr 13, 2012

caloymiranda wrote:

Sometimes you need a wide lens to take in as much as your eye can see...it can be inconvenient to zoom out with your feet sometimes.

I knew a young lady many years ago whose mother was a travel photographer. She zoomed backward with her feet one day in Greece, went over a cliff, and was no more. Maybe zooms have their place.

Wide lenses can certainly take portraits, but ordinary people aren't used to having cameras right in front of their nose.

But you do make a good point here. The pictures you posted here are very nice indeed.

I am a gearhead but i strive to become an artist someday.

I do not pretend to be an artist and I'm more of a gearhead than I'd like to admit.

Jim Pilcher

John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,617Gear list
Like?
Yikes! - the dangers of walk zooming!

safer to turn a dial for sure!

Next time I'm shooting with primes and 'walk zooming' backwards I'll look behind me first!

-- hide signature --
 John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
James Pilcher
Like?
plastic and white sand
In reply to Len_Gee, Apr 13, 2012

Len_Gee wrote:

Nice pics.

Santa Claus looks a little overprocessed..... to me his skin looks overly smooth and waxey. Should he have wrinkles?

No PP to speak of; Santa is a plastic life-size mannequin.

I like your use of the 8mm F.E. for the beach picture. How did you get it to look straight and not the usual F.E. curve?

Horizon dead center keeps it straight. No recognizable straight lines in the composition. Crop from the bottom to 16:9 in order to move the horizon below center. All of these techniques will disguise the use of a fisheye, if that is your goal. My wife wanted a photo that conveyed the vastness of this white sand beach near Sarasota, Florida. The fisheye was the perfect lens. The 12mm was too narrow!

Jim Pilcher

acahaya
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?

Why are these options exclusive?

And why are they only linked to using lenses different than their most common purpouse?

i am a creative gearhead but would not call myself an artist. I like to shoot weddings with a fisheye, portraits with a swa lens and landscapes with a tele lens ... if the situation is right. I also shoot portraits with a portrait lens, landscapes with a wa lens ... again depending on the scene or person to capture. My choice of lens does not make the resulting photo more or less artsy.

oh well, i probably simply don't understand what you are trying to tell us but ... i like the pictures.

-- hide signature --
James Pilcher
Like?
Exactly! (n/t)
In reply to Landscapephoto99, Apr 13, 2012

Jim Pilcher

James Pilcher
Like?
wonderful photo! (n/t)
In reply to dcassat, Apr 13, 2012

dcassat wrote:

of a gear-head and more creative. Yes, the 45 is a wonderful lens, EVEN for landscapes! Am I an artist? Yes, of course. We are all.

Jim Pilcher

James Pilcher
Like?
you may be an artist
In reply to acahaya, Apr 13, 2012

acahaya wrote:

Why are these options exclusive?

They are not, but some photographers think they are.

And why are they only linked to using lenses different than their most common purpouse?

Showing examples of these lenses used as they are "commonly" used serves no purpose to my point.

i am a creative gearhead but would not call myself an artist. I like to shoot weddings with a fisheye, portraits with a swa lens and landscapes with a tele lens ... if the situation is right. I also shoot portraits with a portrait lens, landscapes with a wa lens ... again depending on the scene or person to capture. My choice of lens does not make the resulting photo more or less artsy.

oh well, i probably simply don't understand what you are trying to tell us but ... i like the pictures.

My point is that too many people have pre-conceived ideas about what lenses are "suitable" for what purposes. An artist more easily dispenses with these notions and tries the unconventional. Gearheads often like everything neatly organized and quantified.

Jim Pilcher

ryanshoots
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?
Pulling my leg

You obviously have the Landscape version of the 45mm

Agree with what your saying. Landscape, portrait etc. might be generally accepted roles for those lenses, but if you let them define the lens' use you only limit yourself.

I choose a focal length based only on the look I'm trying to achieve.

I love looking at photographs from a photographer that uses a single prime for almost all their work. It's amazing how much they can do with a single focal length. Things that would have a lot of folks running for their bag of lenses.

amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,400
Like?
Are you yourself an artist at all?

Just proposing a meek concept and three of the most banal pictures seen in a long time?

And you are the one giving artistic patents?

LOL

Art must have gone down the drain.

Am.
--
Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amalric

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads