AM I the Only one worried that Canon has gone video?

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions
Thomas Kachadurian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,780Gear list
Like?
AM I the Only one worried that Canon has gone video?
Apr 13, 2012

When the 5DII first came out I worried that Canon would find more traction as a video camera company and slowly abandon us still photographer. I overstated it then, but is sure seems that still photography is in the back seat and video WAY up front.

Think of all the lenses we haven't seen from Canon while the introduce new cine lenses.

Is Canon going to just yield still photographers to Nikon?

I shot Nikon in the 1990s and switched to Canon and have been there ever since. Now it seems like it might be time to change back to Nikon just because I don't see still photography innovation coming out of Canon any more.

Anyone else seeing the same tea leaves.

Tom

http://www.kachadurian.com

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RRJackson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,555Gear list
Like?
You're the only one.
In reply to Thomas Kachadurian, Apr 13, 2012

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

Nope.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 4,967
Like?
Re: AM I the Only one worried that Canon has gone video?

I shot Nikon in the 1990s and switched to Canon and have been there ever since. Now it seems like it might be time to change back to Nikon just because I don't see still photography innovation coming out of Canon any more.

The newly developed AF system of the 1Dx is rumoured to be the best AF system of any DSLR - including all the competition.

Of course, phase detect AF systems are of little use (currently) for the video market. So it would seem that at least some of their efforts are directed towards stills photography.

Yep - some are. I'm not one of them though.

shaktipalooza
Senior MemberPosts: 1,652
Like?
yes n/t
-- hide signature --
matthias jurisch
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?
the grass is always greener on the other side...

I looked at your publications and editorials on your website and wondered if there was ever a photo editor that complained to you for lack of image quality ???

I guess it is like having a Porsche and at some time wanting a Ferrari and the other way around...BTW your photography presented on your website looks really good...now you have to decide if you are behind the wheel of one of these great sport cars.
greetings
Matthias
http://www.foto-jurisch.de

24Peter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,942
Like?
Re: yes n/t
In reply to shaktipalooza, Apr 13, 2012

If the concern is that Canon is somehow neglecting still camera innovation at the expense of video, I don't see this as an issue at all. The addition of Live View was a great innovation in still photography and opened the door to add video. I use and enjoy both the still and video features of my Canon DSLR's and don't feel Canon is short-changing one in favor of the other.

I also see many new, high-quality still photography lenses have come out of Canon over the past couple of years. The only problem for me with those lenses is price, not lack of commitment to the format.

On the issue of moving (back) to Nikon to avoid this problem, just take a look at the video features of the D4 and D800. If anything, Nikon has really stepped up its devotion of resources to improving video in it's latest cameras. So if Canon is "guilty" of being video-centric, Nikon can be seen as moving in the same direction.

In either case, I see only good coming from improving video features on the latest cameras.

-- hide signature --

View my photo galleries here: http://imageevent.com/24peter
Model Mayhem: http://www.modelmayhem.com/93181

bigdaddave
Contributing MemberPosts: 942
Like?
You are not alone

For me video has no place anywhere near a dslr.

Stills are stills and video is a completely different thing. I am dismayed Canon has gone down this road

When the 5DII first came out I worried that Canon would find more traction as a video camera company and slowly abandon us still photographer. I overstated it then, but is sure seems that still photography is in the back seat and video WAY up front.

Think of all the lenses we haven't seen from Canon while the introduce new cine lenses.

Tom

leemoh
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?

I believe Canon understood that:

1- Videography and photography are different expressions of the same art.

2- There's no room for IMMEDIATELY POSSIBLE improvement in still photography technology as much as there is in videography.

3- What was holding still photographers off adapting their creative skills to do videography is mainly the high cost of videography, which is a problem that's gradually diminishing.

Canon is sensing the future race and trying to win it beforehand. And all other manufacturers are going to ride this trend sooner of later.

joema1
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
Re: You are not alone
In reply to bigdaddave, Apr 13, 2012

bigdaddave wrote:

Stills are stills and video is a completely different thing. I am dismayed Canon has gone down this road

It's not just Canon that's gone down this road -- the entire camera industry has.

There is no credible basis that DSLRs would be significantly better still cameras without video. If that were so, all a DSLR manufacturer must do is omit video and their vastly superior still cameras would outsell all the competition.

No video also means no live view. You must have live view to get video. Once the development, engineering and production cost for live view is made, video is a short step.

If a mfg made a still-only DSLR with no live view, it's unclear it would be materially better for stills, and -- more importantly -- less people would buy it. That would drive volume down, they'd lose economies of scale, and price would go up. You'd end up with a still-only DSLR with marginal (if any) photo improvement over video-capable DSLRs, but at a much higher price.

joema1's gear list:joema1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
mgrum
Contributing MemberPosts: 522
Like?
Are you worried about the time Canon spends developing photocopiers?

Canon is a huge company making a wide range of products. They have been making video cameras for a long time, along with broadcast cameras and broadcast camera lenses. Who's to say any resources at all were taken away from the EF lens division to develop the Cine lenses?

Development most likely came from the Canon broadcast equipment division who have much more expertise in the field of moving pictures!

http://www.canon.com/bctv/

If anything the more video cameras they sell the more profit is generated and the better things are for us still photographers!

Fotogroup
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
In reply to leemoh, Apr 13, 2012

I'm not so much worried about Canon going towards video as I am about the massive price increases and delays of their new camera/lens introductions because of initial quality issues. (See today's http://www.canonrumors.com )

I'm thinking that Canon needs to separate their emphasis and have two different lines of DSLR products for Pro Camera's. I don't need video in my DSLR and I don't need the capability to shoot stills if I'm shooting video. I can't shoot both and do justice to either one. (I have a degree in Television Production, but made much of my career in traditional photography.) I think any full time Pro understands that.

Canon has obviously devoted tens of millions of Yen to develop DSLR Video, and obviously sees a Market. I wonder, like you do, if they have lost sight of the needs and economic reality of what a Still Photographer can afford to pay for equipment in a World where we no longer can earn a living shooting Stock, where Photojournalist's are being laid off from newspapers and magazines in wholesale numbers, and where there are more "Uncle Charles's" shooting Weddings for a couple of hundred dollars than I have seen in my 40 years in this Profession. Canon may see Pro Still Photography as a dying part of the Market in this new Kindle, iPad World.

The equipment prices a traditional still Photographer sees as very expensive, are major bargain's in the Pro Video World. Sadly, I think Canon has saddled their traditional Market with the Video R&D costs.

If I wasn't retired, I'd switch to Nikon now, just like when I was one of the first in my area to switch to Canon several decades ago. Not having the new Pro camera's and lenses at this years WPPI Convention should tell us all that Canon may be going in new directions and professional still imaging may not be a major part of it.

Canon is asking us if we are photographers or videographers?

MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 846
Like?
In reply to bigdaddave, Apr 13, 2012

Hate to say it bigdaddave but your wrong. Video is becoming a major selling point, and video and stills are very similar. Being able to shoot video and stills at a event, makes me more money. Telling a client, they can get a dedicated video shooter, a dedicated still shooter and a 3rd shooter who will do both as needed is a great selling point.. Depends on your clients..

bigdaddave wrote:

Tom

MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 846
Like?
In reply to Fotogroup, Apr 13, 2012

I think the people here who are pure photographers, and their are less pure photographers everyday, dont see the future. I, as would many of the people I now, would never buy a DSLR now without HD video. Video is many ways the future. People are less interested in stills, people want video more. That is where my money is

Fotogroup wrote:

I'm not so much worried about Canon going towards video as I am about the massive price increases and delays of their new camera/lens introductions because of initial quality issues. (See today's http://www.canonrumors.com )

I'm thinking that Canon needs to separate their emphasis and have two different lines of DSLR products for Pro Camera's. I don't need video in my DSLR and I don't need the capability to shoot stills if I'm shooting video. I can't shoot both and do justice to either one. (I have a degree in Television Production, but made much of my career in traditional photography.) I think any full time Pro understands that.

Canon has obviously devoted tens of millions of Yen to develop DSLR Video, and obviously sees a Market. I wonder, like you do, if they have lost sight of the needs and economic reality of what a Still Photographer can afford to pay for equipment in a World where we no longer can earn a living shooting Stock, where Photojournalist's are being laid off from newspapers and magazines in wholesale numbers, and where there are more "Uncle Charles's" shooting Weddings for a couple of hundred dollars than I have seen in my 40 years in this Profession. Canon may see Pro Still Photography as a dying part of the Market in this new Kindle, iPad World.

The equipment prices a traditional still Photographer sees as very expensive, are major bargain's in the Pro Video World. Sadly, I think Canon has saddled their traditional Market with the Video R&D costs.

If I wasn't retired, I'd switch to Nikon now, just like when I was one of the first in my area to switch to Canon several decades ago. Not having the new Pro camera's and lenses at this years WPPI Convention should tell us all that Canon may be going in new directions and professional still imaging may not be a major part of it.

Canon is asking us if we are photographers or videographers?

dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?
No, same here

I feel they've tilted all their recent introductions in favor of video, but haven't abandoned still images. But if they're next SLR is a compromise for the video market, I'm out. I'll keep my 5D II in the meantime, but won't be upgrading to the III (like I had planned...). I like the III, but after seeing the raw files there isn't enough of a jump in IQ to justify the expense for me. I'm hoping Canon introduces another still SLR (FF, or course) in the fall.

...we'll see...
--
-------------------------------------------------
No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?
Re: Are you worried about the time Canon spends developing photocopiers?
In reply to mgrum, Apr 13, 2012

mgrum wrote:

Canon is a huge company making a wide range of products. They have been making video cameras for a long time, along with broadcast cameras and broadcast camera lenses. Who's to say any resources at all were taken away from the EF lens division to develop the Cine lenses?

It's not about resources, or copiers, or anything like that. It's compromising their still cameras in favor of video. I feel they have, as well.

Development most likely came from the Canon broadcast equipment division who have much more expertise in the field of moving pictures!

http://www.canon.com/bctv/

If anything the more video cameras they sell the more profit is generated and the better things are for us still photographers!

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
bigdaddave
Contributing MemberPosts: 942
Like?
In reply to MASTERPPA, Apr 13, 2012

I'm not remotely wrong, my opinion is just my opinion, I'm not trying to get anyone to agree

MASTERPPA wrote:

Hate to say it bigdaddave but your wrong.

f64manray
Contributing MemberPosts: 715
Like?

Tom

You're kidding right. Nikon is pushing video to the fore front or at least giving it equal priority. It's pretty evident from the release of the D800 and the D4. Video has boosted the sales of DSLRs and is probably one big reason that will put photographers on an upgrade path to future DSLR models. You're not going to escape it from Nikon or Canon.

The stills feature is already already superb in both Canon and Nikon. I'm really not sure what your looking for. The 5DIII is nothing less than superb as a stills camera and a big leap over the 5DII. Not to mention the new radio transmitter flashes that have just been released for EOS. I see nothing but progress. Frankly, I was looking hard at the D800, but the 5DIII is looking to me as the better camera. Better AF, Better video quality, better video features, better high ISO. I'm willing to easily pay the premium over the D800.

tko
tko
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,894
Like?
yes

Jeez, they can't even replace aging 50MM lens, or that pathetic 35MM F2.0, yet they can introduce, what 4 or more horribly expensive cinema lenses? And how many Cinema Cameras vs. one 1DX that they can't get out?

People use to argue that video in cameras wouldn't hurt still photography. Obviously, that's not true.

Tom

Phil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,398Gear list
Like?
Yes, You're the only one!

That's like saying Ford has gone all truck becasue they have a new F450. Or Intel has gone all PC because they OEM the early runs of most PC brands in the world.

I for one did high tech product development for more than twenty years and what you learn by dabbling in one division often finds a way to benifit other divisions (products).
--
Phil Agur

5DMKII - 7D Dual Body Bag - Go 'L' and don't look back!

Got 7D? See http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3167

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +3 more
Teila Day
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,239
Like?
I think Canon is using basic common sense!

I think many photographers think like users and not like businessmen and women. I see still photography as we know it today as a rapidly dying endeavor. I foresee video replacing stills like the CD did the cassette tape, and records for mainstream sales.

I think video is the future, and I think being able to pluck Perfect frames from video footage is the next best thing in mainstream photography videography; tech isn't there yet, but the writing has long been on the wall in my opinion.

Canon is a corp. in business to make money, not to cater to purists, although the later can be a byproduct of the former.

I see a benefit from Canon's direction. The bar is being raised, and Canon seems to be directly into the fray- I see it as a good thing.
--
Teila K. Day
http://wwww.teiladay.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads