Should I return my D800 and wait for them to resolve the outer

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions
ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,051Gear list
Like?
Should I return my D800 and wait for them to resolve the outer
Apr 13, 2012

AF issue or do you think it can be fixed via firmware?

I've done a number of tests and yes my D800 is a good bit off on the left and slightly off on the right. I puchased it from BestBuy and have 30 days to return it but I love the camera and would be willing to hold onto it if it looks like a firmware update could/would fix the problem. My LCD has a light yellow tint which is not big deal but I do want the sensor to be working properly on the outer edges.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ollehto
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
Re: Should I return my D800 and wait for them to resolve the outer
In reply to ARB1, Apr 13, 2012

What are the first 3 numbers of the serial of your D800 ? So far it seems only reported by people in the 300xxxx range.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mike Worley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,486
Like?

Have you eliminated the lens as a component of the issue? Or, for that matter, yourself, as in what you photographed and how you photographed it.

ARB1
Like?
In reply to ollehto, Apr 13, 2012

ollehto wrote:

What are the first 3 numbers of the serial of your D800 ? So far it seems only reported by people in the 300xxxx range.

Yup, that's me 300XXXX
--
Allen

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
What a puzzle...

So you paid an insane amount for a new shiny toy, but they sold you a defective piece of junk. What should you do? Hmmm... That's a good one. The best, in fact. I think you should keep it. The fact that you had to ask shows you deserve it.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
ARB1
Like?
In reply to Mike Worley, Apr 13, 2012

Mike Worley wrote:

Have you eliminated the lens as a component of the issue? Or, for that matter, yourself, as in what you photographed and how you photographed it.

I shot under a number of different conditions (inside, outside, tripod, handheld, overcast, sunny) and got the same results left to right.

I did not change the lenses though, I shot all with my 24-120mm. I'll do some more tests this weekend with my 28-70mm and 50mm 1.4 to see if the shots improve.

Now when I shoot in AF-C all points are in focus, it's just AF-S that has issues.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1
Like?
Re: What a puzzle...
In reply to Press Correspondent, Apr 13, 2012

Press Correspondent wrote:

So you paid an insane amount for a new shiny toy, but they sold you a defective piece of junk. What should you do? Hmmm... That's a good one. The best, in fact. I think you should keep it. The fact that you had to ask shows you deserve it.

Ya' know, I deal with snotty @ss kids all day long, and at my age I don't need to deal with them here, grow up.
--
Allen

beshannon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?
 beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +5 more
Ayrshirephotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?

ARB1 wrote:

Mike Worley wrote:

I shot under a number of different conditions (inside, outside, tripod, handheld, overcast, sunny) and got the same results left to right.

I did not change the lenses though, I shot all with my 24-120mm. I'll do some more tests this weekend with my 28-70mm and 50mm 1.4 to see if the shots improve.

Now when I shoot in AF-C all points are in focus, it's just AF-S that has issues.

-- hide signature --

Allen

"Now when I shoot in AF-C all points are in focus, it's just AF-S that has issues."

I hear alarm bells going off to this sentence...

-- hide signature --

"I come to this forum because it sucks less than the others."

ARB1
Like?
In reply to Ayrshirephotographer, Apr 13, 2012

Ayrshirephotographer wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

Mike Worley wrote:

-- hide signature --

Allen

"Now when I shoot in AF-C all points are in focus, it's just AF-S that has issues."

I hear alarm bells going off to this sentence...

Yes, this was also mentioned in another thread where folks received clean shots while shooting in AF-C, but out-of-focus outer points in AF-S.

What alarm bells are you hearing?

-- hide signature --

Allen

dmlong1
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to Ayrshirephotographer, Apr 13, 2012

I have the D800 with a serial number in the 3000 range and have tested it out with a 24-120 and all of my other lenses and the focus is extremely sharp. I also have no green screen. It appears that if there is an issue it is only a few that have it.

Someone will always find something.....

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,430Gear list
Like?
Not true at all

The left outer focus issue was first identified in Asia and seemed to be with cameras starting with 800. The first digit of the serial number identifies the world region where the camera was sold.

ollehto wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
ARB1
Like?
In reply to dmlong1, Apr 13, 2012

dmlong1 wrote:

I have the D800 with a serial number in the 3000 range and have tested it out with a 24-120 and all of my other lenses and the focus is extremely sharp. I also have no green screen. It appears that if there is an issue it is only a few that have it.

Someone will always find something.....

Thanks dmlong1, I'm not one of those nit picky folks so I can deal with the slight yellow tint on the LCD, but I do want my AF points to be sharp. I e-mailed Nikon so I'll wait to see what they say, if I don't hear anything from them I'll bring it back to BestBuy this weekend and get on that long B&H line and hope for better results with a new camera. All-n-all the D800 is a dream camera so I won't give up on it and since I've been a Nikon user for over 30 years it's the only camera for me.

-- hide signature --

Allen

Dominique Dierick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,467Gear list
Like?
I wouldn't return it if I had the problem

If you see it consistently with other lenses, have the orthogonality of the AF sensor checked. This is very likely the cause if it is not a lens problem.

Should be an easy fix.

-- hide signature --

My equipment: Nikon D3s, D800, EOS 450D
The ladies equipment: Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
pyzon
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?

ARB1 wrote:

Ya' know, I deal with snotty @ss kids all day long, and at my age I don't need to deal with them here, grow up.
--
Allen

he has a point, you are asking forum peoples opinions if you should return a $3k defective camera? you bound to expect the 'odd' smart response no? You should have the nouse to know yourself if you should return it or not....

so many people who have bought this camera and in line to buy it still just seem to have either no clue of the mid to advanced functionality of it or are so insecure about it they have to almost ask permission to return it from people here....and no your not the first to do this....

it's faulty - (which I'm sure you'll probably verify after your lens swap) return it - money back or exchange - it's a no brainer at that expense

ollehto
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?
Re: Not true at all
In reply to michaeladawson, Apr 13, 2012

Ok so currently it's reports from the 300xxxx and 800xxx range. Probably even in those ranges there are plenty of people who don't have that specific left AF focus issue in AF-S mode. I'm guessing just bad luck with some batches.

Dominique Dierick
Like?

re-calibrating the AF sensor orthogonality is faster than waiting for another camera - which eventually might have rolled of the wrong production line again (if Nikon in the meantime has not fixed their calibration issue on that production line ).

D.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X100S
KenBuse
Regular MemberPosts: 222Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dominique Dierick, Apr 13, 2012

My fears are that many of these "defective piece(s) of junk" as someone said; will be returned because users are having problems and then the stores will just turn them around and send the same camera to next in line. This could be me or whoever is waiting for their new camera and expecting the best.

That's why I ordered from B&H and don't mind the wait... I hope they have the integrity to do the right thing. I wouldn't trust your average NY online camera shop.

Dominique Dierick
Like?
Re: Not true at all

I suspect one of the production lines has a calibration issue of a tool. Would expect parallel production lines even for one batch. If one of the lines is impacted, this could explain.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X100S
ARB1
Like?
In reply to pyzon, Apr 13, 2012

pyzon wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

--
Allen

he has a point, you are asking forum peoples opinions if you should return a $3k defective camera? you bound to expect the 'odd' smart response no? You should have the nouse to know yourself if you should return it or not....

You know, I'm over 50 years old and for me it's all about how you state your point. It can be done like an adult or like a 10 year old, it's a choice I guess.

so many people who have bought this camera and in line to buy it still just seem to have either no clue of the mid to advanced functionality of it or are so insecure about it they have to almost ask permission to return it from people here....and no your not the first to do this....

I'm not new to Nikon, I go back to the F2AS days. I've paid the price in life to not have to ask permission for much anymore, hense my question had more to do with the possibility of a firmware fix, that's the reason I asked.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads