5D Mark III Why only 22 MP ?

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions
vinovino06
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?
5D Mark III Why only 22 MP ?
Apr 13, 2012

Looks like Canon is spending all their resources on Video not photography.

If they had looked at photography the 5D Mark III would have more MP

Too much time and effort is being spent on video , SLR's are for photography not video.

We should have a seperate web-site called :

Digital Video Review

Vino Vino 06

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 4,970
Like?
Re: 5D Mark III Why only 22 MP ?
In reply to vinovino06, Apr 13, 2012

vinovino06 wrote:

Too much time and effort is being spent on video , SLR's are for photography not video.

Digital Video Review

Vino Vino 06

Gee - I dunno - I don't think that's entirely fair to say.

Six months ago, not a lot of people were calling for higher resolution - they wanted better AF and low light performance.

And the new AF system is certainly not evidence that Canon have been focused (pardon the pun) exclusively on video.

I'm one whom is quite happy with 22MP - I have no need for more, and six months ago a lot of others were saying the same thing. Of course, for each one like me, there is another that would like more MP - nothing wrong with that.

The camera is what it is - if its not your cup of tea then don't buy it. It's quite simple.

I suspect it will sell quite well though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jeff Palmucci
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?

All else being equal, I'd rather have 6 fps than 36 mp. Just because I shoot lots of different stuff. Would be different if I only shot landscapes. I do drool over the low iso dynamic range and color sensitivity of that other system, but I got over it.

devisor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,791
Like?
In reply to Jeff Palmucci, Apr 13, 2012

For me, I dont see the need for more mpix on the MKIII, for my work it is more then enough. As prices goes down one has to consider time vs cost. So for my workflow that I have worked out from the MKII the 22mpix is perfekt. And I seldom sell pritns larger then what a 22mpix res can deliver.

When I do a project needing the larger res it is easy to rent a medium format.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D MarkII and Mark III | EF 24-105 F4L | Pentax K20D| DA* 16-50 F2,8 lens | DA* 50-135 F2,8 | FA 43 F1,9 Limited |D FA100 Macro| I need more | Fuji s5600 | AlienBees | http://www.emfphoto.no | http://www.fotofashion.no | http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/ericfagerheim

DotCom Editor
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,523Gear list
Like?
Wrong forum
Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,595Gear list
Like?
Canon's task this time around was to improve AF & fps

for the still photogs and the 22 MPs apparently does something special for video. Twenty two MPs was probably the largest size they could manage and still push images into the buffer at 6 fps (most likely one of their non-negotiable target specs).

I think Canon may come to recognize that in the "affordable" FF category, they are going to need two models.

vinovino06 wrote:

Digital Video Review

Vino Vino 06

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, photography never for sale, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
rpiotr01
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?

The 12MP on the 5D are plenty for large prints. Frankly I refrained from even considering the Mk II in part because I thought 22 MP was overkill. I've come around to the usefulness of it in recent months - the idea that you can crop out nearly half the frame and still retain so much detail is amazing to me. I still find the idea of 22 MP a little daunting but nevertheless, I'll deal

If the reason you want more MP is because you look at 5DII or III images or print them out to your needed size and yet still find the detail lacking, then fine. If you want more MP simply because Nikon did it then you should probably just switch to Nikon.

twistedlim
Contributing MemberPosts: 764
Like?

vinovino06 wrote:

Digital Video Review

Vino Vino 06

I find even 22 mp cumbersome and slower to work with. I would not want more. For me the perfect camer would be the 5dc with the features and processor of the 5d3.

A lot of time is being put into video, but that is a sign of the times like it or not. Everyone is looking for selling features.

Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,228Gear list
Like?
5D-mk3 is a Crescent wrench

It is a one size fits all deal. It consolidates the 7D and 5D-mk3 and has video to boot. It will even do the laundry and wash your dishes. It will even do landscapes as well or ever so slightly better than the 5D-mk2. (that's the problem it did not make a major leap in that area)

Just like the 1DX consolidated its pro line into one machine at the cost of leaving the studio/landscape folks twisting in the wind.

So now Canon is offering a slew of video cameras and one astro camera. It seems to me that a studio/landscape camera is a distinct possibility in the future.

-- hide signature --

What I see when I open the image and view it at 100% is very important to my overall attitude toward a final print. When I look at the print I know what’s there and what I had to do to get there. For me, good enough does not work.

http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/

Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,365
Like?

Why do you do nothing except try to start negative threads about the 5d3 that make totally stupid points? Are you a troll, paid by Nikon, or just a little nuts?

vinovino06 wrote:

Digital Video Review

Vino Vino 06

Gmshots
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?

Don't think so...

The 5d2 was a cam that was and is loved by all. It had almost everything you wanted.

The drawbacks of shutter lag time and primarily centered focused was a pain that took time and skills to overcome.
5d3 I understand improved all the weak points and it will be an excellent cam.
They key most of us was looking was 1d focusing and low noise....

High megapix is not the answer for those of us who have hundreds of picts to screen through, process and print. Most of them are in the a3 sizes only.

Rgds
Gmshots

Gmshots's gear list:Gmshots's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,329Gear list
Like?

vinovino06 wrote:

Digital Video Review

Vino Vino 06

Perhaps Canon is investing their limited R&D money where it will generate the best return? Perhaps they are investing in what they see to be the future. Look at all the devices like iPads, iPods, etc. that are now video centric (or could be). At some point in the not too far distant future, our “magazines” and newspapers may be more “electronic” and video will be as important as stills.

David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Scott Larson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,174Gear list
Like?

Why not only 22MP?

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
plasnu
Regular MemberPosts: 308Gear list
Like?

+1
I don't know if it's a good move or not.

vinovino06 wrote:

joger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,508Gear list
Like?

you are fully right - unfortunately the answers to this question are heavily biased when being asked in the Canon forum.

To my understand the 5D III has roughly 1/2 stop more DR in real world (posted a long comparison here) and the resolutions is roughly the same.

Canon IS concentrated on getting the utmost revenue in areas where others are not active yet or where the prices are defined by enormously expensive equipment like the epic red camera.

Maybe the medium format backs are net to be targeted - it was surely most important for Canon to stop the high ISO whiners instead of developing a better studio camera.

The new lenses all point in the direction of higher resolution. This investment would be almost useless if the bodies stay at the rather low resolution. IMHO Canon elaborated how long they can keep serious studio and landscape photographers committed to the system and how many they would loose if they would not bring a perceived high ISO camera.

Unfortunately neither the heigh ISO promise is true nor the bigger DR. I am looking forward to the DXO Mark review and the results - it will be a disaster at low ISOs and probably not too good at high ISO too. I've done an ISO 25 k comparisson between the 5D III and the 5D II and at web sized images the difference is negligible if at all present aftr optimization in LightRoom - both files would not be printable to high standards - so what's the point of having the same old wine after four years - right - profit maximization. Nikon might have been tempted to do the same but they decided to make a giant leap ahead - CUDOS for Nikon - being a Canon user.

I can not understand the praising - the experienced photographer will recognize that the differences are negligible. The fan boys praise the new camera as being miles ahead.

For me it is a disappointment too.

vinovino06 wrote:

Digital Video Review

Vino Vino 06

-- hide signature --

isn’t it funny, a ship that leaks from the top

ISO 9000 definition of quality: 'Degree to which a set of inherent characteristic fulfills requirements'
I am the classic “Windows by Day, Mac by Night user'

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +9 more
vinovino06
Regular MemberPosts: 175
Like?
In reply to chironNYC, Apr 13, 2012

No not a troll , no not nuts and no not paid by Nikon.

Long time Canon user currently own 7D and 5D Mark II at one time owned a 20D and the orginal 5D . Also own several L series lenses , too much money invested in Canon to switch over to Nikon . But have certainly given it some thought , who could blame me Nikon is currenly offering a well made much higher resolution camera at a lower price.

From what I have seen other than the new focusing system on the 5D Mark III the high ISO differences between the 5D Mark II and the new 5D Mark III are minor.

At only 1 MP higher resolution many current 5D Mark II owners will not feel the need to spend $ 3500.00 to upgrade to the 5D Mark III. Myself included.

Do not beleive the 5D Mark III will be a big seller.

In fact with the release of Nikon's D800 many Canon users will leave Canon and switch over to Nikon.

With respect to video in SLR's it is getting out of hand , it looks like camera manufactures are focusing more on video than stills photography.

Just think of what an amazing feature loaded high MP camera Canon would develope if it concentrated on photography and photography only.

Since Canon is spending all of its time and resources on video , it is doing the purist the stills photographer a great injustice.

Video should be left in video cams not SLR's , thay are trying to make SLR's function like point and shoot camera's.

Vino Vino 06

DotCom Editor
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,523Gear list
Like?
Because it's enough? (nt)

Still, there's nothing here.

LeonardoG
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?

I have been considering moving up to full frame for a while now. When I considered the Nikon D800 I realized that I would also have to upgrade to a new computer; one with a faster processor as well as 16 GB of RAM. My main reason to go full frame would be to gain in larger pixel size for better high ISO shooting as well as better use of my best lenses such as Canon 24-105 f/4 L lens or Nikon 24-120 f/4. The 5D MK 3 would require me to spend at least another $2K+ for the new computer. Some of us are not necessarily looking for more MP but instead are looking for yet increased dynamic range and better low light images. The superb focussing of the 5D MK3 would meet my needs better than yet more MP. There are so many people with different wants on a new DSLR.
--
LenG

LeonardoG's gear list:LeonardoG's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads