D800 + 85 1.4G Controlled AF Test Results: Left AF point definitely bad.

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions
wl7
wl7
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
D800 + 85 1.4G Controlled AF Test Results: Left AF point definitely bad.
Apr 13, 2012

Today I did some controlled autofocus tests using my D800 and 85 1.5G, mounted on a tripod.

I used 5 different AF points during the test, starting with the leftmost, then left center, center, right center, rightmost. I rotated the ballhead so that the AF point being tested was always on the target, and repeated the sequence 5 times. I intentionally defocused after each picture, and the AF mode was set to AFS.

The first picture is an example of the entire frame when using the center AF point. The second picture is a composite of 25 100% crops of the target using the leftmost AF, left center, center, right center, right AF points as labeled across the top.

All shots were taken wide open at f/1.4, ISO 400, 1/125sec, timer + exposure delay with the camera mounted on a tripod, 8 feet away from the target.

Clearly, my camera has a problem with the leftmost AF point. Actually, the sharpest focus was using the right center AF point. The center AF point was still a bit soft.

I haven't yet repeated this test with my 24 1.4, but based on my observations, I am pretty sure that the results would be the same

Nikon needs to address this ASAP. If they don't, my camera will be returned to Best Buy in two weeks before my 30 days are up!

wl7's gear list:wl7's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
IsaacImage
Regular MemberPosts: 121Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 + 85 1.4G Controlled AF Test Results: Left AF point definitely bad.
In reply to wl7, Apr 13, 2012

Thank you very much for your work
What is the serial # of the body pls ?

-- hide signature --
 IsaacImage's gear list:IsaacImage's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS-1D X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TigrouMeow
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?

I'm using the same lens but I don't have this issue at all. I'll do some more testing in one hour, if I find anything I'll come back on this thread.

wl7
wl7
Like?
In reply to IsaacImage, Apr 13, 2012

You're welcome. Since I get valuable information from this forum, I feel it is important to contribute as well.

S/N is 3001xxx

Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
fabgo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,294
Like?
(nt)

Edit. I see now my question has already been answered.

fabgo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,294
Like?
In reply to TigrouMeow, Apr 13, 2012

TigrouMeow wrote:

I'm using the same lens but I don't have this issue at all. I'll do some more testing in one hour, if I find anything I'll come back on this thread.

Whats the approx. serial # of your camera? I wonder if this is issue affects only early camera models, or affects a random number of D800s.

-- hide signature --

Fabian

olakiril2
Contributing MemberPosts: 522
Like?

You can see from the longitudinal chromatic aberration of the lens that the AF sensor is tilted (different colors left to right). The axis of tilt is your center-right AF point.

PLMSG
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
In reply to TigrouMeow, Apr 13, 2012

I have problems with the far & mid Left AF points with my AFS 85G/1.4 & D800. I used a tripod and electronic cable release and shot from a distance of about 15 feet @ 1.4 F stop. I used both AFS & AFC and Single shot. When tested from say 6 feet, it was hard to see any difference re focus clarity. I used ISO 1600 for my test to keep the shutter speed > 200.

I reported this to Nikon USA re EMail on 11 April afternoon (USA East Coast Time). I have not heard anything yet.

PLMSG
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
In reply to PLMSG, Apr 13, 2012

The serial number for my camera is 3003XXX.

wl7
wl7
Like?
In reply to PLMSG, Apr 13, 2012

I have also just reported this issue to Nikon. They are asking for the sample photos, which I will send. They said the problem will be escalated, and I should hear back in 1 day.

dennis chapin
Regular MemberPosts: 220Gear list
Like?
Serial #300...

I have no focus problems at all. Played with the camera in very low light with an 85mm 1.8D and it works fine.

dennis chapin's gear list:dennis chapin's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +21 more
PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,756Gear list
Like?
In reply to olakiril2, Apr 13, 2012

I wonder if a batch of D800's was set up with some alignment jig that was off at the factory, resulting in every D800 aligned on that setup to have a problem?

If it's just an alignment issue, I'd assume a recall and some labor would be involved to fix it.

-- hide signature --
 PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +28 more
carcodger
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?

Not long ago when I had a problem with a camera (nikon v1) from best buy the return window was 14 days and not 30! check into it before it is to late......

zoltrix79
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?

I contacted to Nikon for the same issue. They wanted sample images. I sent the sample images - 24 hours later, I got an email that suggests me to do AF micro adjust. Just a boilerplate email. When I asked how AF micro adjust would help with the asymmetric behavior of the left and right focus points, they told me to send the camera in.

Still debating whether I should send the camera now or wait a little longer.

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,632
Like?
Cameras assembled by...
In reply to fabgo, Apr 13, 2012

fabgo wrote:

I wonder if this is issue affects only early camera models, or affects a random number of D800s.

It affects the cameras with the AF assembled by Miko on Monday mornings and Friday afternoons.

Anyone old enough to remember when people tried to avoid cars assembled a Monday and Friday?
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Dominique Dierick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,467Gear list
Like?
Looks like textbook sample focus sensor orthogonality

Assuming that your lens is ok (not decentered), this is a textbook sample of a focus sensor plane out of orthogonality. If you have it with other lenses too, send it in for orthogonality calibration.

Perhaps one of the workbenches at Nikon has a deviation in the measurements. This could explain why some have the problem, while others don't see it. It may not be batch related.

D.

-- hide signature --

My equipment: Nikon D3s, D800, EOS 450D
The ladies equipment: Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Robin Casady
Like?
In reply to olakiril2, Apr 13, 2012

olakiril2 wrote:

You can see from the longitudinal chromatic aberration of the lens that the AF sensor is tilted (different colors left to right). The axis of tilt is your center-right AF point.

So, do the red edges mean the universe is expanding? (Back focus or front focus?)
--
Robin Casady

Robin Casady
Like?
Re: Looks like textbook sample focus sensor orthogonality
In reply to Dominique Dierick, Apr 13, 2012

Dominique Dierick wrote:

Perhaps one of the workbenches at Nikon has a deviation in the measurements. This could explain why some have the problem, while others don't see it. It may not be batch related.

Not perfectly calibrated after the earthquake, perhaps?
--
Robin Casady

Dominique Dierick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,467Gear list
Like?
Hubble trouble
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 13, 2012

Could of course be any reason. Remember Hubble? Perfectly corrected badly just because of one measurement instrument out of alignment. I think this is what we are seeing with some D800's. Luckily to correct this error, it just takes a round trip to Nikon, not to space. I would send the camera in with 'correct orthogonality AF sensor', not with 'calibrate focus' as a message, just to make sure they get it right.

-- hide signature --

My equipment: Nikon D3s, D800, EOS 450D
The ladies equipment: Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Same results shooting in AF-C? Live view?

Have you tested accuracy of the various AF points shooting in AF-C mode? Live view?

I have not tested the AF accuracy of my D800 as systematically as you (I have tested the outermost left, center, and outermost right AF points), but I have observed that shooting in AF-C mode essentially negates the mis-focus for me. Not certain why this is the case, but this is my workaround for now. Another suggested workaround is to shoot in live view, as Bill has with his recent wedding assignment.

USA copy, S/N 300XXXX

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads