Don't understand consumers purchasing professional cameras

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions
vFunct
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
Don't understand consumers purchasing professional cameras
Apr 13, 2012

I'll never get this.

What exactly do consumers get out of a camera like the D800? Is it that much better than a D5100 for them?

Really, leave the high-resolution to situations that demand it, using supplemental things like controlled lighting, makeup, set design, etc..

High resolution cameras in the hands of non-professionals just means 36 megapixels of blur instead of 12 megapixels of blur. Then there's the people complaining about 4k video when they can't produce any more useful information out of it than a 720p video. They'll take the exact same shot they would have taken in both situations!

In case you pixel peepers haven't noticed, REDUCING information in your images makes them better. What do you think all the filters in Instagram do? They smooth out flaws in your images by selectively reducing the useless information contained in it, to isolate much more important information. (you don't need to see pores in the face, when you want to see the smile, etc..)

The main difference between the consumer and professional is their audience. Your personal audience isn't going to give a crap about seeing pores on people's faces, or every leaf in the tree. Meanwhile, a professional will have the specific needs of the audience in mind, and choose the appropriate tool.

Nikon really means it when they classify cameras into professional and consumer classes.

Nikon D5100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't understand consumers purchasing professional cameras
In reply to vFunct, Apr 13, 2012

This thread is gonna be fun to watch! lol

There are some people full of it! lol
--
Best regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,933Gear list
Like?

vFunct wrote:

I'll never get this.

What exactly do consumers get out of a camera like the D800? Is it that much better than a D5100 for them?

Yes.

Really, leave the high-resolution to situations that demand it, using supplemental things like controlled lighting, makeup, set design, etc..

High resolution cameras in the hands of non-professionals just means 36 megapixels of blur instead of 12 megapixels of blur. Then there's the people complaining about 4k video when they can't produce any more useful information out of it than a 720p video. They'll take the exact same shot they would have taken in both situations!

In case you pixel peepers haven't noticed, REDUCING information in your images makes them better. What do you think all the filters in Instagram do? They smooth out flaws in your images by selectively reducing the useless information contained in it, to isolate much more important information. (you don't need to see pores in the face, when you want to see the smile, etc..)

The main difference between the consumer and professional is their audience. Your personal audience isn't going to give a crap about seeing pores on people's faces, or every leaf in the tree. Meanwhile, a professional will have the specific needs of the audience in mind, and choose the appropriate tool.

Nikon really means it when they classify cameras into professional and consumer classes.

What I rteally can't get is why so many people are so concerned with what other people do with their money if it doesn't even affect them.

Firstly, you are being quite elitist and you really have a closed mind if you don't get why advancecd amateurs wouldn't want a camaera like the D800. Secondly, why do you even give a flying fornication what other people do with their money? It's not yours, so why do you even care. Thirdly, the fact that many (possibly well heeled) amateurs buy the D800 helps to amortise the cost for the professional purchaser, otherwise you'd be complaining about the chigh cost of pro DSLR's.

In my case, I shoot birds as part of my photographic hoibby and to me the D800 is actually two cameras in one as it will replace both my D700 and D7000.
Firstly, I can crop the D800 and it will have the same resolution as the D7000.

Secondly, the AF of the D5100 is not up to the task of accuracy and speed of the D7000 let alone the D700 and now the D800 (which supposed to be even better).

Thirdly, pro spec lenses work much better on pro spec cameras.
--
Lance B
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
tabloid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,680Gear list
Like?

You have a excellent point there.
But.

As a professional full time photographer,(over 25 years) i have to say that without the mass amateur market the price of a D800 would cost as much as a Hasselblad, so we have to be thankful and grateful the so many people will buy the camera and not use all of its qualities, its in our favour.(price wise).
But i do understand exactly what u are saying.
Regards
George R

tabloid's gear list:tabloid's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Lance B
Like?
In reply to JMacedo, Apr 13, 2012

JMacedo wrote:

This thread is gonna be fun to watch! lol

You're right there!

But I just couldn't let it go and had to reply as this guy must be living in a rarefied world.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
MLebout
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
In reply to JMacedo, Apr 13, 2012

May have something to do with a huge step in technology, introduced at an amazing price.

Careful, one could get a nose bleed on such a high horse.

4x5 Guy
Contributing MemberPosts: 939
Like?

vFunct wrote:

I'll never get this.

Of course you never will. You just have no clue and no understanding of some fundamentals. But you do know the secret of how to get added to someone's ignore list. Bye bye

JMacedo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,336Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lance B, Apr 13, 2012

Well done! +1
--
Best regards,

Jorge Macedo
http://www.jmacedophotography.com

JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Lance B
Like?
In reply to MLebout, Apr 13, 2012

MLebout wrote:

May have something to do with a huge step in technology, introduced at an amazing price.

Careful, one could get a nose bleed on such a high horse.

LOL. Well said.

-- hide signature --
directo
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
Popping some popcorn...this is gonna get good....haha (nt)

bookmarked!

Douglas Film
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,687
Like?

I want one because it will look nice on the shelf next to my Canadian passport.
Douglas Film

beshannon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?

vFunct wrote:

I'll never get this.

What exactly do consumers get out of a camera like the D800?

The satisfaction that comes from spending their money on something they want.

Nothing more to get, no reason it should concern you
--
My Smugmug photos http://www.brianshannonphotography.com/
My photo blog http://brianshannonphotography.blogspot.com/
My 500px photos http://500px.com/brianshannonphotography/

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Brian-Shannon-Photography/157237647635870

beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sigma DP2s Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +5 more
RyanWard
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?

vFunct wrote:

I'll never get this.

Why post this nonsense then?

Of course it's better. As a professional, you should know this. You are a pro, right?

You clearly don't understand that this camera is more than just resolution.

Dumb statement. Ignorant at best. I suppose only pros have a steady enough hand???

Do you think only pros know how to take good photographs? You have serious problems if you do.

Shall we call you God? You seem to know better than everyone else what THEIR audience (which includes the amateur who buys the camera) wants to see.

Unfortunately for you, it doesn't seem possible for you to understand what a consumer is.

Good grief. I really hope this OP was in jest. Otherwise, your crazy

What I do with my money is of no concern to you.

-- hide signature --
Hotphotons
Contributing MemberPosts: 520Gear list
Like?

This guy must be poor or from a third world country. He doesn't understand first world problems.

Hotphotons's gear list:Hotphotons's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
plasnu
Regular MemberPosts: 308Gear list
Like?
In reply to Douglas Film, Apr 13, 2012

I agree with OP. Mirror less cams are much better choice for 99% of amateur, I believe. Actually, I think those fake professional-lloking DSLRs such as Canon KISS are more ridiculous than D800.

JP Scherrer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,020
Like?
The OP is absolutely right !

I beleive Nikon should ask proofs that the buyers are true PROs before to accept to sale "pro gears" !

At least all these funky "amateurs" would stay at their place and not eat at the same restaurants as the real pros !

J-P.

Photo Galeries at http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Spherical Panoramas (360x180 degrees) at http://www.360cities.net/profile/jps
Equipment list in profile

Logan Nolag
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?

Why should anybody want a Porsche when the speed limit is only 75MPH and a Camry can get you from point A to point B just as easily.

Cipher
Senior MemberPosts: 2,333Gear list
Like?
I agree...we should shoot with a phone cam...

instead of a DSLR.

Live in huts instead of houses.
Drive Toyota Yaris or bicycles instead of 200+ HP vehicles.
Wear no-name clothing instead of anything with a label on it.
Eat no name food
Use Atom Netbooks only instead of Intel i7 processors in full blown desktops
Use 15" CRT TVs

Cipher's gear list:Cipher's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +12 more
Hotphotons
Contributing MemberPosts: 520Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hotphotons, Apr 13, 2012

Ok just checked his profile. Claims to be from Canada so he is either from Newfoundland, stupid or pulling our leg.

Hotphotons's gear list:Hotphotons's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,760Gear list
Like?

Because there are so many 'pros' out there delivering dull, unoriginal and derivative work that we hobbiests feel the need to try to take up the slack!

--
Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads