Doing the usual - but with a D800

Started Apr 12, 2012 | Discussions
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
Doing the usual - but with a D800
Apr 12, 2012

Borrowed a D800 last week, then promptly lost the camera I'd stashed the card in. Got it back now, having a look at shots taken with my scratched 14mm f2.8 (to see if it can use old lenses) and my 105 f2 DC (to see the best it can do).

I'm telling you, DPReview want to re-do those samples at a sensible aperture (which will in turn mean a new target).

Yes, 36MP does make a difference, and does work, and no the DPR samples do not do the camera justice!

Incredible. Just incredible. I'd like to post a really good sample of the 105DC but my involuntary "model" would kill us all, so here's Trevor wide open (as it were). DoF is nil (that's kind of the point) and even the 105DC is not at its happiest wide open, but even so...
100% crop

from this (downsized!).

Right, I'll look at the 14 and then try some pulls....

OK, 14mm - old, kanackered lens, but still does OK - downsized version followed by 100% crop

Right, and an ugly pull...

Yes I know, not a good way to do it, but shows the latitude is there.

Well, I shall play more tomorrow. For now, I have camera lust.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: Doing the usual - but with a D800
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Apr 12, 2012

OMG. Now you have to buy one, there is no way back

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dpalugyay
Senior MemberPosts: 1,119Gear list
Like?

I know you are expecting this comment, and are likely ready with a reply. So I'll be the first of several to tell you you posted in the wrong forum.

As much as you post here, you would know this is trollish and will incite a lot of negativity and debate.

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to dpalugyay, Apr 12, 2012

They're a lot of us using MFT as a second system - in fact I've only half jokingly suggested before the most common camera here is a Nikon FF!

So, for those people playing with MFT and Nikon FF, and who know the shots I do, here's what happens doing the same thing with a D800.

Nobody is suggesting binning your MFT and getting a D800.

dpalugyay wrote:

I know you are expecting this comment, and are likely ready with a reply. So I'll be the first of several to tell you you posted in the wrong forum.

As much as you post here, you would know this is trollish and will incite a lot of negativity and debate.

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 12, 2012

It's the 36mp in my opinion.

Wonder what the GH3 will have?

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

-- hide signature --

chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,178
Like?
In reply to dpalugyay, Apr 12, 2012

How did the size/weight feel after coming from m4/3?

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to chiane, Apr 12, 2012

Clumsy

No way I'd go back to having FF as my only system.

But if you don't have to carry it miles, it feels nice in the hands. Not the huge brick the D3 was!

The 4fps felt OK too. It clunkered away rapidly enough for seascapes.

chiane wrote:

How did the size/weight feel after coming from m4/3?

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Unreliable rumors are 15-16MP.

I have 24MP camera and a couple fast/sharp lenses for lugging around to important events. My plan is to have an m43 camera for the other 90% of the time.

windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,933Gear list
Like?
Meh. Old news.

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I'm telling you, DPReview want to re-do those samples at a sensible aperture (which will in turn mean a new target).

Yes, 36MP does make a difference, and does work, and no the DPR samples do not do the camera justice!

Excuses, excuses. The samples show detail galore. You just weren't paying attention. But it would be really obnoxious to say "We told you so," so I won't do that.

Julie

Incredible. Just incredible. I'd like to post a really good sample of the 105DC but my involuntary "model" would kill us all, so here's Trevor wide open (as it were). DoF is nil (that's kind of the point) and even the 105DC is not at its happiest wide open, but even so...

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to Just Having Fun, Apr 12, 2012

It should take a doubling of MP to see a real difference, logically. Certainly I saw no change going form 10-12. 12-16 was minor. 36 seems to make a difference.

But I shall print large, and report back. It may all be lost on paper...

Just Having Fun wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Unreliable rumors are 15-16MP.

I have 24MP camera and a couple fast/sharp lenses for lugging around to important events. My plan is to have an m43 camera for the other 90% of the time.

Louis_Dobson
Like?
Re: Meh. Old news.
In reply to windsprite, Apr 12, 2012

If we mean by the sample, the test shots, no they don't - because they were f11.

And my first efforts we f11 as well: guess what, they're nothing special

I shall see if I can upload one, hang on....

windsprite wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Excuses, excuses. The samples show detail galore. You just weren't paying attention. But it would be really obnoxious to say "We told you so," so I won't do that.

Julie

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,562Gear list
Like?
Ahhh, Louis, you knew it was going to be good...

For your purposes I had a feeling the D800 was going to be pretty close to perfect for your work....

I'd love to try one myself. If I had the money, I'd seriously think of getting one for landscape work; big lenses and all.....

-J

Louis_Dobson
Like?
Re: Ahhh, Louis, you knew it was going to be good...
In reply to jalywol, Apr 12, 2012

I really didn't. I had an open mind. But I am very, very impressed!

jalywol wrote:

For your purposes I had a feeling the D800 was going to be pretty close to perfect for your work....

I'd love to try one myself. If I had the money, I'd seriously think of getting one for landscape work; big lenses and all.....

-J

illy
Forum ProPosts: 12,160Gear list
Like?

i've seen some great stuff from the D800, lots of DR and detail, do i want one?....yes i bloody do, car upgrade and a possible 500mm lens purchase come first though.
--
working as intended

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to illy, Apr 12, 2012

It's a lot of money.

If I didn't already have the lenses, you could utterly forget it. As it is... I shall think about it.

illy wrote:

i've seen some great stuff from the D800, lots of DR and detail, do i want one?....yes i bloody do, car upgrade and a possible 500mm lens purchase come first though.
--
working as intended

Louis_Dobson
Like?
Don't use f11!

Examples (downsized image and 100% crop) below. Where did the res go?

This is going to be a big problem for a lot of people. You need f8 or less, which is f4 in the MFT world. That's not a lot of DoF...

Louis_Dobson wrote:
If we mean by the sample, the test shots, no they don't - because they were f11.

windsprite wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Julie

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

If it has 24 megapixels, do you give up on thinking on a D800 ?

Think on 24 megapixels with good image quality but in a small camera, with good micro 4/3 lenses

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
windsprite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,933Gear list
Like?
Re: Meh. Old news.

The f/11 samples may not have showed all the detail the camera is capable of, but they clearly showed a lot more than a 16MP camera (and that includes the D4, for anybody who thinks this is a brand war or format war).

Then you're doing something wrong.

The order on the crops below is D800, EM-5, 645D (the second row in each set has heavy USM applied accross the board):

Louis_Dobson wrote:

windsprite wrote:

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Julie

-- hide signature --

windsprite's gear list:windsprite's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F550 EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D2H Nikon D300 +36 more
zephyrus
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?

Wow, great images. If I were you I would get the d800. MFT is a great compromise, but for truly stunning pro-level images, you should get the best. I think your talent deserves it.

zephyrus's gear list:zephyrus's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?

Well, I can say Louis, that even though my humble G3 doesn't have the capabilities of the D800, for almost 3000 $ less, I'm quite happy with my results. Don't you agree?

This is as shot, RAW out of the camera

Shadows pulled by shadow slider and curves, highlights adjusted to avoid clipping.

Normalized, and with the right amount of shadow detail, or "As seen".

What do you think?
--
Martin Ocando
-------------------------

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads