single S100 photo somewhere

Started Apr 12, 2012 | Discussions
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,775
Like?
single S100 photo somewhere
Apr 12, 2012

My pbase galleries have all been deleted (yes, I did pay my bill), so I've posted a single S100 pic to my photo gallery on DPReview. It's the first photo seen at upper left. I can't seem to post it to this thread. It should come up at 1000 pixels transversely, but the DPR gallery has done something to it - so please don't try to view it at Original size, where the colors and definition are both badly "off". Viewed at Large size, colors are somewhat better though definition is still quite blurry and coarse. The actual 1000 pixel version looks much cirsper, sharper, with much better detail.

If others can view this photo I'll past a few more to the DPR gallery while waiting for pbase to recover. My pbase galleries will come back eventually - this sort of "deletion" has happened before and they always get things back.

Anyway, the S100 is proving to be a better camera than I'd expected. At ISO 80, its detail rendition and sharpness (shooting RAW) are as good as that of my G10, and at that ISO 80 I could make noise-free prints at 20X30 inches if I wanted to. Beyond 400, it begins to show the limits of the small sensor, but an occasional image even at ISO 1000 would be essentially noise free at 12X18 inches. Beyond about 1250 it's good for web displays and small prints. At 1600 and higher, colors suffer and noise becomes a serious problem for all but small displays.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

rickreyn
Contributing MemberPosts: 526Gear list
Like?
Re: single S100 photo somewhere
In reply to bill hansen, Apr 13, 2012

Looks great to me in your gallery, if its the German shepherd dog and puppy. Pretty sharp. Great color.

See some of mine take with my S100 if you care to http://www.gloriography.com

rickreyn's gear list:rickreyn's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bill hansen
Like?
In reply to rickreyn, Apr 13, 2012

Hi Rick - No matter what camera was used, those images (in your slide show) are superb. Am I correct that many of them are HDRs?

I'm glad you thought the GSD-pup image was a good one. It really was a grab shot, taken early in the morning before the sun was fully up. It's an unusual shot of that pup at rest, not "herding" the GSD. (I was disappointed in the way the detail and sharpness were diminished on DPR. When my pbase galleries are restored I'll put up a few more.)

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

gail
Forum ProPosts: 13,249Gear list
Like?
In reply to bill hansen, Apr 13, 2012

bill hansen wrote:

My pbase galleries have all been deleted (yes, I did pay my bill),

How did that happen? Is it something other pbase users have to worry about?

so I've posted a single S100 pic to my photo gallery on DPReview. It's the first photo seen at upper left.

Nice photo; very sharp. But I'm curios, do you have i-Contrast enabled because the ISO is 320 and it looks pretty bright outside.

I can't seem to post it to this thread.

Your message window needs to be open. Above the message click the correct button; then navigate to your gallery that contains the photo and insert. A URL will be inserted that begins like this:

d p r: / / galleries/ (spaces added so the url shows)

It should come up at 1000 pixels transversely, but the DPR gallery has done something to it -

There is a setting you can select so images show full size, but I'll be darned if I can find where it is now. I've seen PaulRivers explain how/where. Do a search or PM him.

Anyway, the S100 is proving to be a better camera than I'd expected.

That's nice to hear. Enjoy your new camera and I look forward to seeing more of your photos taken with it.
--
My S100 Galleries ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb/canon_s100
My Canon S100 Blog: http://www.digicamhelp.com/topics/camera-logs/canon-s100/

gail's gear list:gail's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS M
hifly
Contributing MemberPosts: 654
Like?
In reply to gail, Apr 13, 2012

How can your pbase images have been deleted? What was/is your pbase username?

bill hansen
Like?
Gail and hifly -
In reply to gail, Apr 14, 2012
-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

gail
Like?
What did you want to say, Bill?
In reply to bill hansen, Apr 14, 2012

There is no content in your reply.
--

bill hansen
Like?
Re: What did you want to say, Bill?
In reply to gail, Apr 15, 2012

Strange I wrote a few paragraphs, and thought I saw them added to the thread after I hit "Post". But whatever happened -

Mostly I remarked that pbase is a wonderful photo hosting site, but it's very busy, so it has its brief down times once or twice a year. Like all other sites, it also has its share of hackers who try to sabotage the site in various ways. My galleries have gone down twice previously, in the 10 years I've used pbase. Each time they've been recovered in a day or two. This time they came back in less than a day. I've read on DPR that a few others have had similar minor problems with pbase. For me, that means the galleries have gone down about once every three years - not too bad, really. I should clean them out anyway, because there are lots of pics there which don't contribute anything of value.

The other thing I wanted to say is that the pic a posted to my DPR gallery doesn't show the S100 off very well. It looks fine on my monitor, but something happened to it when DPR compressed it. It doesn't even look good on pbase. The colors are way off and the fine detail is lacking. I've actually re-done that image from scratch, hoping to put up a more appropriate version. I may get to that later today.

Someone - can't remember who - asked if the shots I've posted are "SOOTC". Nope - I always shoot RAW, so I do apply sharpening in Photo Shop. Aside from that and a little cropping to frame them better, these particular images haven't had much done to them. The WB of the S100 isn't ideal so matter which setting is used, so several of my dog pics have had color balance changes. The flower pics are "SOOTC" except for sharpening. Only the ISO 1000 image on pbase has had noise reduction applied, and I've deliberately left some noise in that one. Not that anyone would want to print that image, but it would make a nicely detailed and noise-free 12X18.

Meanwhile, if anyone's interested, there are a few better-looking images at
http://www.pbase.com/bill_hansen/s100_pics
I'll try to add a couple more to that gallery later today.
--
Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

bill hansen
Like?
A few more pics up on S100 Gallery
In reply to gail, Apr 15, 2012

Sample here - the best of them, of course. Now I'll stop with that gallery, at least for a while. This will be "large" size. You could also view it at "original" size if you like - but that may be too large

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

bill hansen
Like?
muddy "sharpening" on DPR and pbase galleries
In reply to bill hansen, Apr 16, 2012

I think I see why images displayed on DPR galleries and on pbase often seem a little muddy, as far as sharpening is concerned. Both galleries, if viewed at "original" size, display images far larger than the original monitor display. The result is a splaying out of any residual noise and a distinct softening of the fine detail. For some reason it doesn't occur with all images, but mostly with those which are most demanding of fine detail.

I wonder if anyone else has had the same experience with their images.
--
Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

gail
Like?
Re: muddy "sharpening" on DPR and pbase galleries
In reply to bill hansen, Apr 16, 2012

Do you have your browser set to display pages larger than 100%? I do and it can make images appear fuzzy. So when I want to view photos, I reset my browser window to 100%.
--

bill hansen
Like?
Re: muddy "sharpening" on DPR and pbase galleries
In reply to gail, Apr 17, 2012

Ahah! That's the explanation! Both my wife and I occasionally use the "CTRL-mouse wheel" method of increasing font size as we read email. I've noticed that my images are displaying at larger sizes in DPR and in pbase, but I didn't tumble to the fact that the increase in font size would also increase the size of the displayed image.

Thanks for pointing that out.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads