X-Pro1 goes to the Leica store

Started Apr 12, 2012 | Discussions
since1968
Contributing MemberPosts: 574Gear list
Like?
X-Pro1 goes to the Leica store
Apr 12, 2012

I went to the Leica store in Washington DC today and can't say enough good things about the entire experience. The staff is knowledgeable and patient; the space is just the right size and layout; and the equipment is out of this world. Many thanks to Eric, Mike, and Meena for making the trip a fun one.

This is my first time handling Leica gear. All pictures are straight out of the camera. Given that I'm new to the X-Pro1 and new to Leica lenses, any issues you spot in the pictures are likely due to operator error.

The first lens I tried was the Leica 50mm f/2.5 Summarit-M. This was just to ensure that the Kipon adapter and the X-Pro1 coupled properly with the lens. I tried using the Fuji command dial to zoom in and manual focus, but the focusing experience was just awful. In the following shot I had trouble telling whether I was looking at the sweater or the subject's skin when zoomed in. Even then, I still couldn't achieve decent focus.

Next I tried the Leica Summilux-M 50mm and before I even took a shot I suspected this was the lens for me. The Summilux just feels perfectly balanced on the X-Pro1. In fact, it feels even better on the camera than Fuji's own 35mm f/1.4 lens, and looks smashing.

This time I gave up on the optical viewfinder and switched to the electronic viewfinder--and suddenly focus became an order of magnitude easier. The focus tab fits under the finger perfectly and the electronic viewfinder is clear enough to see what's in focus and what's not.

This one is close, but not quite right. I missed the critical focus on her closer eye.

This one is closer.

Here's a shot with the 90mm Summicron. The focus ring is stiff compared to the 50mm and I don't think I have the skill to take enough keepers when you consider the Fuji's 1.5 crop factor. But the bokeh is creamy and in the right hands the Fuji and 90mm could make beautiful music together. Come back next year.

We took the 50mm Summilux out on the street and I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to focus on people walking directly toward me and still get the shot. Except for Dick Nixon. He didn't move much.

Anyway, I went home with the 50mm Summilux. The combination of lens and sensor is humbling and highlights shortcomings in my technique. But hey--that's what practice is for. I couldn't be happier with this combination.

Cheers,
--
Marc A. Garrett
http://flickr.com/photos/since1968/

since1968's gear list:since1968's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +1 more
Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 17,349Gear list
Like?
Re: X-Pro1 goes to the Leica store
In reply to since1968, Apr 12, 2012

Interesting, Marc.

Could you please tell me where the Leica store is in DC? I am not familiar with this store and would love to pay a visit!

Thanks,
--
Louis

My DPR Gallery (Shots with Dlux3, Dlux4,Dlux5, Nikon D300)
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6584690903/photos/slideshow
My contributions to DPR Challenges:
http://www.dpreview.com/members/6584690903/challenges

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D300
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
since1968
Like?
In reply to l_objectif, Apr 12, 2012

977 F Street.
--
Marc A. Garrett

Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +1 more
Emacs23
Regular MemberPosts: 433Gear list
Like?

And try this lens on M9. You will immediately notice how better the picture is when used on significantly larger sensor. Fuji may have better low iso performance, but it's nowhere near as good in general.

Emacs23's gear list:Emacs23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
l_objectif
Forum ProPosts: 17,349Gear list
Like?

Thanks!
--
Louis

My DPR Gallery (Shots with Dlux3, Dlux4,Dlux5, Nikon D300)
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/6584690903/photos/slideshow
My contributions to DPR Challenges:
http://www.dpreview.com/members/6584690903/challenges

l_objectif's gear list:l_objectif's gear list
Leica D-LUX 5 Nikon D300
since1968
Like?
In reply to Emacs23, Apr 12, 2012

I handled the M9 and while I didn't take any pictures with it, the build quality seemed amazing. The rangefinder mechanism was like nothing I've ever seen.

I am not yet over the hump of spending 7K on an electronic camera. 4K on a lens that lasts for decades and never depreciates? Sure. But the camera? Tougher call for me.

Thanks,
--
Marc A. Garrett

Fogsville
Contributing MemberPosts: 557
Like?

since1968 wrote:

I am not yet over the hump of spending 7K on an electronic camera. 4K on a lens that lasts for decades and never depreciates? Sure. But the camera? Tougher call for me.

I think this is a reasonable response and logical for a majority of people.

It kind of comes down to use value. How much does one plan on using the tool and for what purpose. If the tool is associated in part with your career and/or daily life, then you will end up with more use value from it despite the initial expense. The more you use something the more value you get out of it. By the time it's obsolete then you (hopefully) will have received the maximum use value out of it and the monetary value is no longer an issue.

btw, it's a very nice lens. You were lucky to find it in inventory.

infocus
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Photo of Leica Store
In reply to since1968, May 11, 2012

I'm not a Leica user but I thought all of you would like to see a photo of the first Leica store in North America here in Washington, DC.

BTW, I took this with my reliable iPhone.

infocus's gear list:infocus's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G1 X II
vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,624
Like?
In reply to since1968, May 12, 2012

Hi,
How is your experience with manual focus after one month?

Thanks

Dr. Ulrich  Rohde
Contributing MemberPosts: 838Gear list
Like?

excellent pictures, very good contribution !

Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list:Dr. Ulrich Rohde's gear list
Leica X Vario Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Leica M8 Leica M9 +10 more
justfine
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?

nice shoots.....thanks for sharing and we toast for fuji....for beating up all leika camera ...the 40s ...the 50s...the 60s dont exist anymore . keep in mind I dont mention leika lens .have a happy week.all my best

moose111
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
In reply to justfine, May 12, 2012

justfine wrote:

nice shoots.....thanks for sharing and we toast for fuji....for beating up all leika camera ...the 40s ...the 50s...the 60s dont exist anymore . keep in mind I dont mention leika lens .have a happy week.all my best

at least you could spell it right, it's Leica not leika

justfine
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to moose111, May 12, 2012

I am very sorry if I spell fail , but english is not my mother native language ,but I am certainly spell and speak better sweedish ,spanish,portuguese,and french than you.keep your mouth shut before you judge people. keep smiling. you must be a sort of KU KLAX KLAN.

Canyongazer
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?
In reply to justfine, May 12, 2012

justfine, I hear ya'

These days on the Internet I usually assume someone having syntax or spelling problems is not an English as first language person. A forum such as this tends to attract educated and/or smart people from all over the world.

Whenever I see someone struggle with English I think, "Well, their English is a heck of a lot better than my horrible French, non-existent Finnish or Polish or whatever."

Canyongazer's gear list:Canyongazer's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
since1968
Like?
In reply to vkphoto, May 12, 2012

vkphoto wrote:

How is your experience with manual focus after one month?

Fantastic. The focus tab on the 50mm Summilux is so perfectly damped that it's easy to nail focus most of the time even wide open.

Mind you, I'm not bragging about my own skill. I think many, many people who are accustomed to autofocus would be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to focus with a bright viewfinder and a good lens with a focus tab.
--
Marc A. Garrett

since1968
Like?
Thanks [nt]
In reply to Dr. Ulrich Rohde, May 12, 2012

Dr. Ulrich Rohde wrote:

excellent pictures, very good contribution !

-- hide signature --
moose111
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
In reply to justfine, May 13, 2012

justfine wrote:

I am very sorry if I spell fail , but english is not my mother native language ,but I am certainly spell and speak better sweedish ,spanish,portuguese,and french than you.keep your mouth shut before you judge people. keep smiling. you must be a sort of KU KLAX KLAN.

English ain't my mother language as well and this has nothing to do with spelling brand names the right way.

go and read your posts and then think who's judging people, cause I didn't judge you.

and don't forget to keep smiling (just as you say).

Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,430
Like?
In reply to justfine, May 13, 2012

You call someone a member of ku klax klan because they noticed a spelling error in your msg? You may want to ask for some help with your anger management issues.

justfine wrote:

Irakly Shanidze
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,051Gear list
Like?
In reply to since1968, May 13, 2012

This lens seems a bit too contrasty for your camera. It is especially evident on indoors shots. Maybe tweaking with camera settings, or creating a default developing settings for LR4 will do the trick, but the way it is I would not be happy with the results.
--
Irakly Shanidze
http://www.shanidze.com/en

Irakly Shanidze's gear list:Irakly Shanidze's gear list
Leica M9
since1968
Like?
In reply to Irakly Shanidze, May 13, 2012

Irakly Shanidze wrote:

This lens seems a bit too contrasty for your camera. It is especially evident on indoors shots. Maybe tweaking with camera settings, or creating a default developing settings for LR4 will do the trick, but the way it is I would not be happy with the results.

Yep, good call.

The X-Pro1 has several film simulation settings; these shots were taken with "Provia," which is the default. After shooting for a couple weeks with the X-Pro1+50mm Summilux I've learned to change the setting to "Astia," or soft, which generates much more subtle images.

Thanks for the feedback.
--
Marc A. Garrett

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads