Is the K-5 a ten-year camera?

Started Apr 12, 2012 | Discussions
Don Kiyoti
Regular MemberPosts: 435
Like?
Is the K-5 a ten-year camera?
Apr 12, 2012

Having purchased one recently, and not wanting to buy another DLSR for a long time,
5 years seems like a pretty reasonable useful life for a K-5.

But what about 10 years? Will this be the kind of camera people become attached to? Will it stay reliable for 10 years? Will people still want sharp, properly exposed photos then any less than now?

I have an idea that the K-5 will become something of the digital K1000.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/donkiyoti/

Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,613Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the K-5 a ten-year camera?
In reply to Don Kiyoti, Apr 12, 2012

No.

Its like asking if the iPad 3 is a 10 year iPad. If its got a CPU in it, its already obsolete before you unpack it.

The K-5 is a great now camera, in that it works reasonably well now.? But 10 years from now,/ I would imagine it being pretty long in the tooth.

 BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
robbo d
Contributing MemberPosts: 765Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the K-5 a ten-year camera?
In reply to BobORama, Apr 12, 2012

Agreed about technology moving on, but I do tend to think it will go down as one of the best of its time, despite it not being a Canikon and therefore not selling quite so much.

My first digital camera was a Fuji S7000 bridge camera and despite 6mp and a little bit of noise, I took some great photo's with it and still could, because the principals of photography remain the same.

The K5 is still one of the best aps-c cameras out there and able to hold its head well against even FF cameras from the big two. Sony's latest aps-c is allegedly no better in image quality, so as a photographic tool, its still going to be a good buy and produce typically nice shots for years to come.

I think the advances in image quality from sensors are becoming smaller and less noticeable to the average laptop screen shot and improved video and other filters and effects, like sweep panorama and 3D are creeping into the mix.

All said and done, I believe it will go down as a classic and sit against the K1000 for slightly different reasons.

 robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
Re: Is the K-5 a ten-year camera?
In reply to robbo d, Apr 12, 2012

My main question is how far has the shutter box been tested, if at all. Nikon states 150,000 actuations for the D7000. I haven't found numbers for the K5.

As far as if it will be a cam to last years, well, that depends. Look at how many people swear by Olympus E1s from all those years ago, in fact, still using them for magazine work. Of the Fuji S3 and S5 cams. Today, potentially any cam can be one of those because of how close the performance is when you're not chatting on a forum, splitting hairs.

However, perhaps today, cameras and lenses are more disposable than ever and won't make it that far.

In my opinion, the Canon and Nikon full frames are already going to be "classics", used many years into the future, especially since people started hoarding 5DIIs, as did studios who all bought multiple, redundant copies to shoot huge, worldwide hit shows with (House is one of them).

Since the performance of the K5 and D7000 is what is typically associated with Fullframe, it wouldn't surprise me, but it's up to people that own them to put stuff out that's worth it and gets noticed. So far, I've seen quality of shots (composition based factors) way higher from people using the D7000 than the K5, so I think K5 owners need to step it up.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
colesf
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?
Re: Is the K-5 a ten-year camera?
In reply to snake_b, Apr 12, 2012

After about 2 years, the shutter began acting up on my k100d. So I wouldn't be surprised if simple silly things like the control buttons fail before the shutter.

10 years represents a lot of progress. Don't romanticize your current gadget. It's not worthy and is not a Leica M3 or a Pentax k1000 (which is really just a cheap consumer camera after all).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cideway
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,663Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the K-5 a ten-year camera?
In reply to Don Kiyoti, Apr 12, 2012

It would purely depend on the availability of spare parts.
--
Chris.

A weather sealed ultra wide, is that too much to ask?

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/chriside

GMT +9.5

Pentax SLR talk FAQ
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=23161072

 Cideway's gear list:Cideway's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,673Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the K-5 a ten-year camera?
In reply to snake_b, Apr 12, 2012

snake_b wrote:

My main question is how far has the shutter box been tested, if at all. Nikon states 150,000 actuations for the D7000. I haven't found numbers for the K5.

Yep completely untested they pray nobody uses it to much !!

http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Pentax-K5.shtml

Same as all Pentax's its rated MTBF is 100,000 releases.

Which for the average heavy use is about 10Years.
The average hobbyist is abut 40 Years
the average 'keep it in cupboard' forever.

 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
familyogre
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Re: Is the K-5 a ten-year camera?
In reply to colesf, Apr 12, 2012

While obviously in 10 years time things will be radically different but in terms of taking a photo it's difficult to see the K-5 (and many of the current crop of DSLRs) becoming truely obsolete.

If the camera still works and is in good condition then in theory you'll be able to take fantastic photos with it just as you can now.

The first DSLR i bought (nikon D50) i was immediately aware of it's limitations, where as with the k-5 i can't find any problems what so ever, it just takes great photos in all conditions and is a joy to use at the same time. I certainly won't be upgrading for a long while.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?
@snake_b
In reply to snake_b, Apr 12, 2012

snake_b wrote:

Since the performance of the K5 and D7000 is what is typically associated with Fullframe, it wouldn't surprise me, but it's up to people that own them to put stuff out that's worth it and gets noticed. So far, I've seen quality of shots (composition based factors) way higher from people using the D7000 than the K5, so I think K5 owners need to step it up.

Dont assume that the few samples that are posted here on DPreview are the best that Pentaxians using K5 can do.

There are some very fine photographers using the K5, use some time search on flickr and see what you can find. Judging by your misinformed statement you will be suprised.

I've know it for years, that pentax users are more often than not great photographers. Go out and disccover whats out there!

-- hide signature --

Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

 Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
Re: @snake_b
In reply to Brentliris, Apr 12, 2012

Luckily, I don't go by DPR because I know it's a gear forum and not a photography forum. I go by what I know I can do with just about any camera, as well as examples from other sites.

I don't know what's "misinformed" about the statement, other than a good number of the shots I see from the K5 don't use it to their potential, while the users of the D7000 seem to be more "seasoned", perhaps owing to the fact that it may, in some cases, be a backup crop body to their fullframes they use professionally.

There's nothing more to it than that. Nothing nefarious in the statement, which you seem to be falsely sensing.

Brentliris wrote:

snake_b wrote:

Since the performance of the K5 and D7000 is what is typically associated with Fullframe, it wouldn't surprise me, but it's up to people that own them to put stuff out that's worth it and gets noticed. So far, I've seen quality of shots (composition based factors) way higher from people using the D7000 than the K5, so I think K5 owners need to step it up.

Dont assume that the few samples that are posted here on DPreview are the best that Pentaxians using K5 can do.

There are some very fine photographers using the K5, use some time search on flickr and see what you can find. Judging by your misinformed statement you will be suprised.

I've know it for years, that pentax users are more often than not great photographers. Go out and disccover whats out there!

-- hide signature --

Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Luke1
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
Re: @snake_b
In reply to snake_b, Apr 12, 2012

Go back to your circlejerk on the nikon forums.

Also: http://www.boxedlight.com/k5/index.htm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
Re: @snake_b
In reply to Luke1, Apr 12, 2012

What circle jerk?

Are you so misguided that you think I'm there? I have maybe one thread with a few posts in it on the Nikon forum.

So it's "dirty" to say "Nikon" here because the immature bots will be unable to handle it and completely miss the point of what's being said?

Really?

Luke1 wrote:

Go back to your circlejerk on the nikon forums.

Also: http://www.boxedlight.com/k5/index.htm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the K-5 a ten-year camera?
In reply to Cideway, Apr 12, 2012

It's up to the individual in the end. If you have a use for a camera, know it well, enjoy using it, it's likely you could keep using it for ten years. There are still users using the istD they must soon be reaching 7 years old now.

I think in ten-15 years from now the DSLR may a developed into quite a different form factor. Personally I doubt the FF will be very prevalent. The mechanics of the Glass the size of the bodies the need for much bigger lenses for the long reach just don't make it economically feasible. Material prices are going up, energy prices are going up. I think the sensors have to made smaller but give an equal quality to FF, it's the only way to make an improvement in IQ that will give manufactureres a higher profit margin. The DOF issue is the only reason for full frame. But already now PP, and Bokerama technique combined with advanced motorized panaroma heads. Auto Focus stacking not only for increased Dof but also Bokeh effects all these new techniques could lead the camera to develo in 10-20 years will be a robotic realtime PP monster. The EVF taken to an advanced level will do alot to make all this effects/techniques transparent to the user.

Shake reduction in camera. But also iterative predictive shake reduction of selected object in a frame anyone?

Stereographic photography will also be more common and integrated into the camera.

Viewfinder glasses, lens and sensor on a pistol grip a beltpack with 10 GB buffer and transmitter, your memory card is in the "cloud". Settings could be adjusted either on the pistol grip or a wrist strap. We will also be using voice commands to control the camera. Hal I need iso 30 I want superfine quality.

K5 might be a comfortable tool to use a long time into the future for a few, but most will jump on getting a camera that gives a better quality finished product with a smoother workflow.
--
Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

 Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?
Re: @snake_b
In reply to snake_b, Apr 12, 2012

I don't know what's "misinformed" about the statement, other than a good number of the shots I see from the K5 don't use it to their potential, while the users of the D7000 seem to be more "seasoned", perhaps owing to the fact that it may, in some cases, be a backup crop body to their fullframes they use professionally.

There's nothing more to it than that. Nothing nefarious in the statement, which you seem to be falsely sensing.

Tha seems quite a charged statement that D7000 users are more seasoned, this sounds like a "nefarious" statement a smoking gun as it were. Therefore I responded in the first instance to your post. We do good work, don't need to take a second seat to anyone, So watch out what you say! It's flaming the phtotgraphy skills of the users of a paticular brand !

You get the message?

Brent

 Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,073Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the K-5 a ten-year camera?
In reply to Don Kiyoti, Apr 12, 2012

what do you mean 10 years for the k5, my k7 will be going till it dye's ! 3 years now 7 to go. whats going to change? cars have no more than my 1985 rx7 i had back then. i still use 40 yo machines because they arnt any better these days. just serviced my compressor 25 yo. radios arnt any better, a friend just gave me a top of the range sound system and it doesnt sound any better than the 80w system i buit when i was 16yo 35 years ago. because i just tested it ?

cheers don

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
Re: @snake_b
In reply to Brentliris, Apr 12, 2012

Not really. Seems like you're just overly sensitive and about the wrong things in life.

Brentliris wrote:

I don't know what's "misinformed" about the statement, other than a good number of the shots I see from the K5 don't use it to their potential, while the users of the D7000 seem to be more "seasoned", perhaps owing to the fact that it may, in some cases, be a backup crop body to their fullframes they use professionally.

There's nothing more to it than that. Nothing nefarious in the statement, which you seem to be falsely sensing.

Tha seems quite a charged statement that D7000 users are more seasoned, this sounds like a "nefarious" statement a smoking gun as it were. Therefore I responded in the first instance to your post. We do good work, don't need to take a second seat to anyone, So watch out what you say! It's flaming the phtotgraphy skills of the users of a paticular brand !

You get the message?

Brent

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
welshwizard
Regular MemberPosts: 472Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the K-5 a ten-year camera? It has the potential
In reply to Donald B, Apr 12, 2012

depends on the use but I think that like most computer electronics the life of items has reduced over the past 20-30 years. Just look at the fact that the Kr costs the same new as a Z-10 did 20 years ago, and then look at how much more in terms of features the Kr has, and the Z-10 (a basic camera) was superb.

My Z-1 and Z-1p were recently serviced and the technician pointed out that spares are scarce for pre-MZ cameras, given that product life-cycles are now shorter I think spare supply will be a major issue, and since there is more to go wrong the life of the camera is dictated more by use and service than decades ago. But then again, in car terms, compare a Ford Anglia 105E and with a Ford Mundano Mk3, the Mondeo can go longer without oil changes, and is more reliable than the old car, but the old car is easier to maintain and demands less specialist attention and will survive longer than the newer car (televisions are the same)....

So, the answer is a potential YES, but a likely no.

-- hide signature --

20 years ago a maginifent Mickey Thomas free-kick and Steve Watkin's sublime winner knocked the Gunners out of the FA Cup - 1st vs 92nd... Let's hope Andy Morrell's Red Army continue WREXHAM's unsurpassed Giant-Killing tradition tomorrow.....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?
Re: @snake_b
In reply to snake_b, Apr 12, 2012

snake_b wrote:

Not really. Seems like you're just overly sensitive and about the wrong things in life.

It's quite easy to brush off this issue with this statement that Im overly sensitive, but that just shows that perhaps you have to learn to be more sensitive in your language when writing on a public forum.

It's about being aware of your context, it's also called emotional intelligence. I'm interested in the content of what is written here in the detail and the underlying implied prejudices, I can improve at my writing skills I know but that goes for both parties. If someone has a hidden agenda or is out on a personal vendetta, venting frustrations, it's interesting for me to try and understand what is going on, where is this statement or sentiment coming from? Who benefits from it? Whos being hurt? Is he a troll, a brand flaming? If it's any of this I'd like to help to reveal it. It is helpful for me to understand the content and meaning of the threads I read and contribute to.

Brent

 Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
Re: @snake_b
In reply to Brentliris, Apr 12, 2012

Learn to be more sensitive? Over a camera brand? I guess that's confirmation that you really are extremely sensitive.

All this over a statement that isn't even against Pentax. Nor did the internet personally address you.

Brentliris wrote:

snake_b wrote:

Not really. Seems like you're just overly sensitive and about the wrong things in life.

It's quite easy to brush off this issue with this statement that Im overly sensitive, but that just shows that perhaps you have to learn to be more sensitive in your language when writing on a public forum.

It's about being aware of your context, it's also called emotional intelligence. I'm interested in the content of what is written here in the detail and the underlying implied prejudices, I can improve at my writing skills I know but that goes for both parties. If someone has a hidden agenda or is out on a personal vendetta, venting frustrations, it's interesting for me to try and understand what is going on, where is this statement or sentiment coming from? Who benefits from it? Whos being hurt? Is he a troll, a brand flaming? If it's any of this I'd like to reveal that it. It is helpful for me to understand the content and meaning of the threads I read and contribute to.

Brent

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,673Gear list
Like?
Re: @snake_b
In reply to snake_b, Apr 12, 2012

Its looking like your a payed shill for Nikon.

Nobody genuinely looking at there options would have still have Pentax on the list given your views on the merchantability.

So you must be here bashing Pentax and it's users for some nefarious purpose.

It doesn't bother me but I personally wouldn't want to be in the Gazzooma, MFzoom, Barry, ET2 gang.

One thing they all have in common they seem till the last oblivious and shocked when eventually given the red card.

 awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads