I got my Q today.

Started Apr 12, 2012 | Discussions
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,607
Like?
I got my Q today.
Apr 12, 2012

Hi folks,

I got my Q today. Damn that thing is small but a lot heavier than I expected. Battery is now charging.

Now, for the very first time ever, I will have to read the manual to figure out how to use it.

My reason for buying it is to use it with some long lenses for shooting at the birds. In the manner of snostorm (Scott).

Has anyone used the Pentax 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 Zoom Lens for the Q? Is it worth a buy?

Thanks.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

stern
Senior MemberPosts: 1,645Gear list
Like?
Re: I got my Q today.
In reply to brandrx, Apr 12, 2012

brandrx wrote:

Hi folks,

I got my Q today. Damn that thing is small but a lot heavier than I expected. Battery is now charging.

Now, for the very first time ever, I will have to read the manual to figure out how to use it.

My reason for buying it is to use it with some long lenses for shooting at the birds. In the manner of snostorm (Scott).

Has anyone used the Pentax 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 Zoom Lens for the Q? Is it worth a buy?

I have it and use it for the wide shots (the 01 prime is a bit narrow) and bought it as part of the double lens kit (was cheaper than buying it extra). The Q BW-high contrast samples on my Zenfolio site were all taken with the zoom (in a place called Penco in Chile). Also the pictures a bit further down in this forum (Easter exhibition in St. Jakob/Austria) were taken with the zoom.

Nevertheless I am eagerly awaiting Pentax to come up with a wide prime (I heard something about autumn 2012).

Thanks.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

-- hide signature --
 stern's gear list:stern's gear list
Pentax 645Z
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,042Gear list
Like?
Re: I got my Q today.
In reply to brandrx, Apr 12, 2012

brandrx wrote:

Hi folks,

I got my Q today. Damn that thing is small but a lot heavier than I expected. Battery is now charging.

Congrats Ron!! You'll find it a fun little camera to use! Though perhaps it's more of a city/street camera than an outdoor camera. For me the added value is that the Q allows me to have a camera with me at all times. When, as you(?), one drives around in a large car all the time, having a DSLR with you all the time is possible, so perhaps that added value of the Q will be much less for you?

Now, for the very first time ever, I will have to read the manual to figure out how to use it.

Why? Its interface is almost identical to any Pentax DSLRs. Actually it's the first "compact" that I managed to "master" from the moment I put my hands on it.

My reason for buying it is to use it with some long lenses for shooting at the birds. In the manner of snostorm (Scott).

That's what I intend to do with it as well. In term that is. I'm waiting for the Pentax adapter. None of the third party adapters seem to have a decent tripod mount. The reason being that the lenses I intend using (K135/2.5, FA50/2.8 macro) don't have their own tripod mount. And the shutter in the adapter should be an added value as well. I dread the price they will ask for it though.

My main use will remain everyday camera though.

Has anyone used the Pentax 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 Zoom Lens for the Q? Is it worth a buy?

As I wrote, I'm currently using it as an everyday camera, so the zoom is a bit too big to pocket the camera. I love the 01, and I'm eagerly awaiting the announced wide prime (hoping it will be as fast as the 01). Diffraction kicking in from f/4 onwards, means fast lenses are a necessity for decent IQ. The 02 zoom is on the limit.

Wim

PS: don't forget to update both firmware for camera and 01 lens to versions 1.01. Update process is very similar to DSLRs, though it won't launch when you start the camera while pressing the menu button. You need to go into the firmware menu and select which upgrade you want to apply (provided it's in the root of your card). The update is much much faster as on a DSLR btw.

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

 Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,607
Like?
Wim...
In reply to Ishpuini, Apr 12, 2012

Ishpuini wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Hi folks,

I got my Q today. Damn that thing is small but a lot heavier than I expected. Battery is now charging.

Congrats Ron!! You'll find it a fun little camera to use! Though perhaps it's more of a city/street camera than an outdoor camera. For me the added value is that the Q allows me to have a camera with me at all times. When, as you(?), one drives around in a large car all the time, having a DSLR with you all the time is possible, so perhaps that added value of the Q will be much less for you?

Hi Wim,

I have an idea that I want to try out. Have 500mm or longer that I can keep, as a small package, in my Jeep at all times.

Now, for the very first time ever, I will have to read the manual to figure out how to use it.

Why? Its interface is almost identical to any Pentax DSLRs. Actually it's the first "compact" that I managed to "master" from the moment I put my hands on it.

Yes, I see that now. So far I havn't had to open the manual.

My reason for buying it is to use it with some long lenses for shooting at the birds. In the manner of snostorm (Scott).

That's what I intend to do with it as well. In term that is. I'm waiting for the Pentax adapter. None of the third party adapters seem to have a decent tripod mount. The reason being that the lenses I intend using (K135/2.5, FA50/2.8 macro) don't have their own tripod mount. And the shutter in the adapter should be an added value as well. I dread the price they will ask for it though.

Hopefully, if what I have planned works out, I will be using it without a tripod mount on the lens or the adapter. It should end up being 550mm to 1100mm (depending on which lens works best) that is small and easy to grab and shoot. That way I won't always have to have a monster lens with me to get those grab shots of birds that I sometimes see. More to come if it works.

My main use will remain everyday camera though.

Has anyone used the Pentax 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 Zoom Lens for the Q? Is it worth a buy?

As I wrote, I'm currently using it as an everyday camera, so the zoom is a bit too big to pocket the camera. I love the 01, and I'm eagerly awaiting the announced wide prime (hoping it will be as fast as the 01). Diffraction kicking in from f/4 onwards, means fast lenses are a necessity for decent IQ. The 02 zoom is on the limit.

I just figured I would try out lens 02 for times when I need a bit wider than 47mm and don't want to be carrying my DSLR with me.

Wim

PS: don't forget to update both firmware for camera and 01 lens to versions 1.01. Update process is very similar to DSLRs, though it won't launch when you start the camera while pressing the menu button. You need to go into the firmware menu and select which upgrade you want to apply (provided it's in the root of your card). The update is much much faster as on a DSLR btw.

I have updated the firmware for the lens 01 and the camera.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,042Gear list
Like?
Re: Wim...
In reply to brandrx, Apr 12, 2012

brandrx wrote:

Hopefully, if what I have planned works out, I will be using it without a tripod mount on the lens or the adapter. It should end up being 550mm to 1100mm (depending on which lens works best) that is small and easy to grab and shoot. That way I won't always have to have a monster lens with me to get those grab shots of birds that I sometimes see. More to come if it works.

Not sure working hand held will be easy. As far as I understand SR on the Q will not work for lenses other than the dedicated Q mount lenses. I suspect the camera will not ask for a focal length the way a DSLR does? Hence you will have to rely on the shutter speed to be fast enough to compensate the shake, i.e. apply the classic 1/(FocalLength x CropFactor) as approximation for the desired shutter speed. You'll be needing 1/1000s and faster most of the time.

Of course, shutter speeds are possible up to 1/8000s, so that should enable fast enough exposures, but you need enough light to allow for these. Though that will be using the electronic shutter. There is a risk of rolling shutter artifacts, though I expect that risk to be limited to non existing at these speeds. Still a leaf shutter should be preferred, and that will only be possible with the Pentax adapter, and probably only up to 1/2000s (as with the leaf shutter in the 01 prime).

Anyway, I suspect you'll be using a bean bag or sth like that?

I just figured I would try out lens 02 for times when I need a bit wider than 47mm and don't want to be carrying my DSLR with me.

My main issue so far with walk around compacts was IQ. And from tests with the Q I see that diffraction starts resulting in soft images once you stop down more than f/4. That means the tele end of the 02 will always suffer from loss of sharpness by diffraction. And the wide end will only have about one stop flexibility.

I found out the hard way that this is an important characteristic of the Q. My first walk only yielded good images when I used the 01 wide open. Most of the time I had (stupidly) been stopping down 2 to 3 stops as I'm used to do for glass on my DSLRs. Most shots were at f/6.3 and not that sharp... Actually the IQ for these was on the level that made me dismiss earlier compacts I owned. Now I use the 01 between f/1.9 and f/3.5 and I'm happy about IQ.

This diffraction issue means that you need fast glass that's great wide open for optimal performance on the Q. That should be an important factor in deciding which long lenses would work on the Q. Even the excellent FA*300/4.5 does not seem tack sharp in Snostorm's images, not because it's not good wide open, but I expect because of diffraction? Did he stop down the lens? I forget...

I'm looking forward to seeing your take on the diffraction story once you start working your way through your extensive long lens collection!!

Wim

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

 Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GeoffNS
Contributing MemberPosts: 560
Like?
Re: I got my Q today.
In reply to brandrx, Apr 12, 2012

Congratulations on your new camera. Hope you enjoy it. I'd be interested to know how it performs with a DA*300 F4 lens. I have one I use with my K10D, but I have not yet acquired a Pentax Q. (As the DA*300 has a tripod mount on the lens I expect that would make it easier to use.) Looking foirward to seeing examples of your Q photos. Regards, Geoff.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jack Simpson
Forum ProPosts: 10,845Gear list
Like?
Re: I got my Q today. (Wide angle Zoom)
In reply to brandrx, Apr 12, 2012

brandrx wrote:

Hi folks,

Hi Ron,

and congrats

I got my Q today. Damn that thing is small but a lot heavier than I expected.

Has anyone used the Pentax 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 Zoom Lens for the Q? Is it worth a buy?

IMO, I think it is and below is a link to some pics I took around the area where

I work, albeit with only one shot (I think) showing the zoom range. The majority were just shot at the wide-angle (27mm) end

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1028&message=40700238

And, FWIW, I printed them off at work (as 8x12) straight from the card and was,
frankly, amazed at the quality

Cheers,

Jack

Thanks.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

-- hide signature --

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0

( UPDATED NOV 16th )MY BLOG.... http://www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

 Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Pentax Q7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,607
Like?
Re: Wim...
In reply to Ishpuini, Apr 12, 2012

Ishpuini wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Hopefully, if what I have planned works out, I will be using it without a tripod mount on the lens or the adapter. It should end up being 550mm to 1100mm (depending on which lens works best) that is small and easy to grab and shoot. That way I won't always have to have a monster lens with me to get those grab shots of birds that I sometimes see. More to come if it works.

Not sure working hand held will be easy. As far as I understand SR on the Q will not work for lenses other than the dedicated Q mount lenses. I suspect the camera will not ask for a focal length the way a DSLR does? Hence you will have to rely on the shutter speed to be fast enough to compensate the shake, i.e. apply the classic 1/(FocalLength x CropFactor) as approximation for the desired shutter speed. You'll be needing 1/1000s and faster most of the time.

Of course, shutter speeds are possible up to 1/8000s, so that should enable fast enough exposures, but you need enough light to allow for these. Though that will be using the electronic shutter. There is a risk of rolling shutter artifacts, though I expect that risk to be limited to non existing at these speeds. Still a leaf shutter should be preferred, and that will only be possible with the Pentax adapter, and probably only up to 1/2000s (as with the leaf shutter in the 01 prime).

Anyway, I suspect you'll be using a bean bag or sth like that?

I just figured I would try out lens 02 for times when I need a bit wider than 47mm and don't want to be carrying my DSLR with me.

My main issue so far with walk around compacts was IQ. And from tests with the Q I see that diffraction starts resulting in soft images once you stop down more than f/4. That means the tele end of the 02 will always suffer from loss of sharpness by diffraction. And the wide end will only have about one stop flexibility.

I found out the hard way that this is an important characteristic of the Q. My first walk only yielded good images when I used the 01 wide open. Most of the time I had (stupidly) been stopping down 2 to 3 stops as I'm used to do for glass on my DSLRs. Most shots were at f/6.3 and not that sharp... Actually the IQ for these was on the level that made me dismiss earlier compacts I owned. Now I use the 01 between f/1.9 and f/3.5 and I'm happy about IQ.

This diffraction issue means that you need fast glass that's great wide open for optimal performance on the Q. That should be an important factor in deciding which long lenses would work on the Q. Even the excellent FA*300/4.5 does not seem tack sharp in Snostorm's images, not because it's not good wide open, but I expect because of diffraction? Did he stop down the lens? I forget...

I'm looking forward to seeing your take on the diffraction story once you start working your way through your extensive long lens collection!!

Wim,

All I know is that Scott gave ma an image to print from the FA*300/4.5 on the Q. I printed it, and as far as I am concerned it is a wall hanger to me. That single image is what gave me the courage to buy the Q for myself.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,607
Like?
Jack...
In reply to Jack Simpson, Apr 12, 2012

Jack Simpson wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Hi folks,

Hi Ron,

and congrats

I got my Q today. Damn that thing is small but a lot heavier than I expected.

Has anyone used the Pentax 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 Zoom Lens for the Q? Is it worth a buy?

IMO, I think it is and below is a link to some pics I took around the area where

I work, albeit with only one shot (I think) showing the zoom range. The majority were just shot at the wide-angle (27mm) end

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1028&message=40700238

And, FWIW, I printed them off at work (as 8x12) straight from the card and was,
frankly, amazed at the quality

Cheers,

Jack

Thanks Jack. I ordered the zoom.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jack Simpson
Forum ProPosts: 10,845Gear list
Like?
Re: Jack...
In reply to brandrx, Apr 13, 2012

brandrx wrote:

Jack Simpson wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Hi folks,

Hi Ron,

and congrats

I got my Q today. Damn that thing is small but a lot heavier than I expected.

Has anyone used the Pentax 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 Zoom Lens for the Q? Is it worth a buy?

IMO, I think it is and below is a link to some pics I took around the area where

I work, albeit with only one shot (I think) showing the zoom range. The majority were just shot at the wide-angle (27mm) end

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1028&message=40700238

And, FWIW, I printed them off at work (as 8x12) straight from the card and was,
frankly, amazed at the quality

Cheers,

Jack

Hi Ron,

Thanks Jack. I ordered the zoom.

Ya will nae be disappionted and, when/if, Pentax comes out with their
lens adapter (for K lenses), you can pop on a 100mm lens and have the
equivalent of a 500mm lens and, god forbid, you pop on a 500mm lens :o

;D

Jack

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

-- hide signature --

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0

( UPDATED NOV 16th )MY BLOG.... http://www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

 Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Pentax Q7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richard Smals
Senior MemberPosts: 1,778Gear list
Like?
Mine tomorrow, hopefully ...congrats.
In reply to brandrx, Apr 13, 2012

I hate the battery loading part...how long will it take?

I watch you so better excel in taking those first shots. Enjoy

-- hide signature --

Bye4now

http://www.indots.nl

I have the deepest respect for all those people who like me.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,607
Like?
Re: Jack...
In reply to Jack Simpson, Apr 13, 2012

Jack Simpson wrote:

Thanks Jack. I ordered the zoom.

Ya will nae be disappionted and, when/if, Pentax comes out with their
lens adapter (for K lenses), you can pop on a 100mm lens and have the
equivalent of a 500mm lens and, god forbid, you pop on a 500mm lens :o

If I read correctly somewhere before the crop factor is 5.5.

Of course as soon as I get the proper adapter I will surely have to try my Nikon 400mm f2.8 lens. Dang! That's 2200mm.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,607
Like?
Shooting in total darkness.
In reply to brandrx, Apr 13, 2012

In my opinion, using focus assist beam, this little gem takes pretty dang good images in total darkness using the flash.

So much to learn about this little monster.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
arnelie
Regular MemberPosts: 313Gear list
Like?
Why diffraction loss on the Q with big glass?
In reply to Ishpuini, Apr 13, 2012

Ishpuini wrote:

This diffraction issue means that you need fast glass that's great wide open for optimal performance on the Q. That should be an important factor in deciding which long lenses would work on the Q. Even the excellent FA*300/4.5 does not seem tack sharp in Snostorm's images, not because it's not good wide open, but I expect because of diffraction? Did he stop down the lens? I forget...

Hm, I do not understand the math behind why e.g. the 300/f4.5 should pose diffraction limitations at let say f4.5-5.6 on the Q when it does not on an APS-C sensor (K5, e.g.)! The Q only captures the inner part of the image circle, which should be the part with the best resolution, yes? Intuitively, I can understand why it happens in small compact lenses, with much smaller image circle. Can somebody enlighten this topic, please?
/Arne

 arnelie's gear list:arnelie's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,042Gear list
Like?
Re: Why diffraction loss on the Q with big glass?
In reply to arnelie, Apr 13, 2012

arnelie wrote:

Hm, I do not understand the math behind why e.g. the 300/f4.5 should pose diffraction limitations at let say f4.5-5.6 on the Q when it does not on an APS-C sensor (K5, e.g.)!

There's the pixel size, which is much larger on a APS-C sensor than it is on a 1/2.3" sensor. Hence diffraction will be visible much sooner. Slightly deviated light beams may still hit the correct pixel if that pixel is large enough, whereas they'll miss it in case of a smaller pixel and as such cause blurring.

The Q only captures the inner part of the image circle, which should be the part with the best resolution, yes? Intuitively, I can understand why it happens in small compact lenses, with much smaller image circle. Can somebody enlighten this topic, please?

I think you're confusing two things. It's true that the more the outer limits of the image circle are avoided the better the results will be. Hence stopping down is often required to use a lens optimally. Diffraction, however, is caused when light beams passing at the edge of the opening are deviated. The smaller the opening, the larger the proportion of light affected by this. This is why stopping down too much you see IQ drop off again.

I never worried about this on my DSLRs, but I did start noticing it on my K-5 when I stopping down to f/22 (I never noticed it as much on earlier cameras with larger pixels). Mistakingly using the 01 on the Q at f/6.3 drew my attention that on the Q, diffraction may be a more important factor to take into account.

Anyway, I have always understood that diffraction is related to pixel size on the sensor rather than being lens dependent. Perhaps I got it wrong? I'm not really sure whether the relative opening (the f/stop) or actual physical opening determines diffraction. I'm looking forward to learning about this in order to be able to use my gear optimally. I'm sure the "problem" can be easily avoided.

Wim

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

 Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,042Gear list
Like?
Re: Wim...
In reply to brandrx, Apr 13, 2012

brandrx wrote:

Wim,

All I know is that Scott gave ma an image to print from the FA*300/4.5 on the Q. I printed it, and as far as I am concerned it is a wall hanger to me. That single image is what gave me the courage to buy the Q for myself.

Cheers.

Ron

That sounds like good enough a reason! Looking forward to seeing your results Ron!

Wim

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

 Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,607
Like?
Influence of diffraction
In reply to Ishpuini, Apr 13, 2012

Influence of diffraction

Scroll down after the link to "Influence of diffraction".

When I enter the numbers for the Q I get 4.2 for Diffraction Limited Aperture.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,042Gear list
Like?
Re: correct result is f/3.1 :-(
In reply to brandrx, Apr 13, 2012

brandrx wrote:

Influence of diffraction

Scroll down after the link to "Influence of diffraction".

When I enter the numbers for the Q I get 4.2 for Diffraction Limited Aperture.

Cheers.

Ron

Tx Ron! I forgot about the calculators on that site. A great resource it is!

BTW, which sensor size did you enter? I suspect 1/2" is closest (the Q having a 1/2.3"), but that gives me a number of f/3.1? That's in line with what I see for the 01 lens: OK up to f/2.8, then it starts degrading.

I think you made a mistake in putting 2/3" for the sensor size? I wasn't sure at first when I got a different number to yours, so I tried the Focal Length Multiplier Calculator higher up the page, and that confirmed to me that 1/2" is the closest size to the Q's sensor size.

Anyway, diffraction kicks in gradually, so perhaps the FA*300/4.5 wide open will still just be within what we find OK, as you concluded from the print you did.

Regardless, practice will show...

Wim

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

 Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,607
Like?
Wim...
In reply to Ishpuini, Apr 13, 2012

Ishpuini wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Influence of diffraction

Scroll down after the link to "Influence of diffraction".

When I enter the numbers for the Q I get 4.2 for Diffraction Limited Aperture.

Cheers.

Ron

Tx Ron! I forgot about the calculators on that site. A great resource it is!

BTW, which sensor size did you enter? I suspect 1/2" is closest (the Q having a 1/2.3"), but that gives me a number of f/3.1? That's in line with what I see for the 01 lens: OK up to f/2.8, then it starts degrading.

I think you made a mistake in putting 2/3" for the sensor size? I wasn't sure at first when I got a different number to yours, so I tried the Focal Length Multiplier Calculator higher up the page, and that confirmed to me that 1/2" is the closest size to the Q's sensor size.

Anyway, diffraction kicks in gradually, so perhaps the FA*300/4.5 wide open will still just be within what we find OK, as you concluded from the print you did.

Regardless, practice will show...

Wim, you are correct. I just made a mistake. Brain fart I guess.

EDIT: I will probably just be using f2.8 long lenses. Of course I will experiment with others though. Perhaps a tryout with the Canon FD 200mm f4 Macro and the Canon FD 400mm f4.5 lenses.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PaulParis
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
Re: Mine tomorrow, hopefully ...congrats.
In reply to Richard Smals, Apr 13, 2012

loading battery not more than an hour and a half, it's only a small one (small camera)...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads