Nikon D800 w/ Nikon 28-300mm f3/5-5.6 (Please post your shots)

Started Apr 11, 2012 | Discussions
DP007
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Nikon D800 w/ Nikon 28-300mm f3/5-5.6 (Please post your shots)
Apr 11, 2012

Hello,

I am a new member to DPReview community and a novice DSLR photographer. This is my first posting, please be easy on me with your technical questions.

Last week I got my D800, I was lucky to find one at local camera store. However, I had to drive 115 miles to get there because they were not willing to take my order over the phone. So far I have tried my D800 with Nikon 50mm f/1.4g, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, Nikon 70-210 f4-5.6D, Nikon 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 in last few days.

Overall I am very impressed with the pictures taken with Nikon 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 lens. Let me share some of the pictures taken with 28-300mm to this thread and request others to post pictures taken especially with D800 + Nikon 28-300 f/3.5-5.6 lens combination. All these shots were taken handheld with VR ON and were shot in JPEGs.

These pictures are downsized in iPhoto with Maximum Quality and Large Size options selected due to DPReview upload size limitations.

DP007's gear list:DP007's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Nikon D800
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,624Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D800 w/ Nikon 28-300mm f3/5-5.6 (Please post your shots)
In reply to DP007, Apr 12, 2012

Other than the first, the others are not in sharp focus or it could be the quality lens. Bokeh is also not great.
I'm glad I saw these though. Thanks.
--
Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,106Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red G8R, Apr 12, 2012

Thanks for posting... but....

I think you have issues with this lens, the photo of the geese or ducks looks terrible on the left side, even like cloned or something seriously wrong.

The others really are not a measurement of what this lens can really do . Have fun with your new camera !! enjoy and don't let our negative comments put a damper on your enthusiasm !!

best regards,

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +47 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,605Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bobby Handal, Apr 12, 2012

Yes these images are all rather soft and half out of focus.

Also there appears to be a lot of chromatic aberration which is adding to the softness.

I was wondering about this lens as it usually doesn't get rave reviews.

It appears the reviews are correct. The 24-120 may be the better choice.

Greg.

CaryTheLabelGuy
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Apr 12, 2012

The 28-300 VRII has its place, but it doesn't compare to the excellent 24-120 f/4 VRII. I own all of the current f/2.8G glass and most of the 1.4G and 1.8G primes (as well as some choice Ai-s glass) and I love my 24-120 f/4. For pro work, I obviously use the best lens for the job, but for travel and walkabout, the 24-120 f4 is my go-to glass. VRII is good for an extra 4 stops in low-light with stationary objects. I also use the 24-120 f/4 for video work, when I don't need super shallow DoF and am hand-holding, which benefits from the VRII. The lens is extremely sharp in the center, wide-open. The corner performance is good after stopping-down to f/5.6. It's a great lens on my D3s, D800 and D7000s. Highly recommended over the 28-300.

CaryTheLabelGuy's gear list:CaryTheLabelGuy's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Apr 12, 2012

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

Yes these images are all rather soft and half out of focus.

Also there appears to be a lot of chromatic aberration which is adding to the softness.

I was wondering about this lens as it usually doesn't get rave reviews.

It appears the reviews are correct. The 24-120 may be the better choice.

All the shots seem to be done at max aperture and handheld. I'm not sure we can know much of anything at all about the 28-300, except that the bokeh looks pretty good. We don't even really know who it performs wide open by this small sample of handheld images.

While I agree the 24-120 VR is likely a better lens, I've seen some pretty decent images with the 28-300 on Flickr.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,457Gear list
Like?
In reply to marike6, Apr 12, 2012

You certainly picked some combo of equipment as a novice DSLR user...but really nothing wrong with that...just need to take the time to learn how to use it...for now though I'd stick with the 50 1.4 for a few days and then compare them to what you've been getting off this lens...
--
Herby

Vrx1028
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?

First, I believe that there are no good or bad lenses. There are lenses fit for a particular shooting scenario and there are lenses that are not. Yes, 10+x zooms will never deliver the resolving power of Zeiss manual primes (or basically any prime). But primes and zooms, just like

Second, I think that you can indeed get better results from 28mm-3000mm on D800 by stopping down a bit and using Auto ISO with focal length adjustment. It looks to me that you were shooting in aperture priority mode at f5.6. This will not deliver the best sharpness for this lens and 1/30 shutter speed at 180mm sounds shaky regardless of how sturdy are you and VR can't compensate on such scale either.

Personally I would prefer f8, VR ON, maximum ISO sensitivity at 3200 and default focal length ISO adjustment setting. From what I have seen, ISO 3200 for casual shots is no problem at all - I am shooting RAW+JPG with D800, but it looks to me that for 98% of the shots, I do not have to use RAW processing if ISO is 3200 or below (out of camera JPG looks great to me). Remember, we are talking about travel/casual photography here...

As a side note, color rendition (yes, even with this zoom) looks superb on D800. Whole look of pictures, even out of camera JPGs, is noticeably more realistic to me. AF does require more precision in handling indeed, but when you nail it, it blows your eyes and your mind.

But I think that Nikon might actually have tough times with this one. It looks to me that they are trying to upsell this camera to DX users (can't imagine any other reason to allow using DX lenses on FX body) and this might spell trouble. This is not a camera for anyone who was using any of the Auto modes on DX and doesn't even have an interest in what is aperture/ISO/focal length, etc... There is no Auto/Landscape/Portrait or any other pre-programmed modes selector. You need to set all settings by yourself. Unless D800 gets into the hands of the user that knows how to use it, results might be less then optimal. Choose it if you want to get into the details of photography craft, but look elsewhere if you just want to press that button and get the result.

reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Packaged as a kit?

Congrats on your new gear. Thank you for sharing your photos with this combo.

I don't have the 28-300/3.5-5.6G VR. Seems like it would be a versatile travel lens.

How are you liking the IQ when used with the D800? Are these photos representative of the output you're getting with this lens?

DP007
Like?
Re: Packaged as a kit?
In reply to reginalddwight, Apr 12, 2012

Thank you all for your feedback. I strongly believe most of the issues noticed in these pictures could be due to inexperience of photographer may not be pointed to lens. I got to do some more practice to improve my skillsl.

BTW. Should I be keeping the the VR ON or OFF especially while shooing moving objects (birds, kids, etc) with Auto AF-C mode?

bendak
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?

I've seen much sharper and very impressive shots with this lens on a D700. It might need AF fine tuning on your camera? Try some tripod shots with a delayed shutter with different fine tune settings I.e. -20, -15, -10, -5, 0, 5, 10, 15, 20

Make sure to let the camera refocus on the same spot wih every setting.

bendak's gear list:bendak's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
DigitalMaven
Senior MemberPosts: 1,857
Like?
The Nikon 28-300mm f3/5-5.6 is a good lens when ...

used stopped down. The lens tests I have seen on it show that
it is pretty soft when shot wide open at any focal length, i.e.
f3.5 at the wide end through f5.6 at the long end. The best
results are obtained using f8 from 28mm out to about 100mm
and f11 from 100mm to 300mm.

I have a Nikon 28-300mm lens that I use on my D7000. I use
it frequently to shoot bike races. I set it to Aperture preferred
mode usually set to f11. I set my base ISO to a value that will
yield a shutter speed of at least 1/1000 depending upon the
current lighting and then set the Auto ISO control to a minimum
shutter speed of 1/1000 and the upper ISO to 6400. With
those settings, the lens preforms reasonably well over its whole
zoom range.

-- hide signature --

When a hammer is your only tool, all problems begin to look like nails.

caribou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017
Like?
Re: The Nikon 28-300mm f3/5-5.6 is a good lens when ...
In reply to DigitalMaven, Apr 12, 2012

You have wasted your money. You should of bought a D3100 which is much better suited for you.

Niucamer
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Re: The Nikon 28-300mm f3/5-5.6 is a good lens when ...
In reply to caribou, Apr 12, 2012

caribou wrote:

You have wasted your money. You should of bought a D3100 which is much better suited for you.

Or even better for him, a P&S superzoom.

If someone is too lazy to change lenses and prefer convenience over quality, he/she shouldn't use a DSLR.

DigitalMaven
Like?
Wow! This must be my lucky day.

Two of the leading lights of this forum read my humble
post and took the time to comment on my choice of
cameras and my fitness to have/use a DSLR.

Just how great is that!

-- hide signature --

caribou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017
Like?
Re: Wow! This must be my lucky day.

I'm not talking about you I am referring to DP007 who has just spent $4000 on a professional quality camera and does not have the first clue about operating a DSLR. Give me strength!

DigitalMaven
Like?
Mislocated responses
In reply to caribou, Apr 13, 2012

Given that your message was posted as a reply to mine,
it led to to believe that your comment was directed to me.
But, I can certainly understand how, when reading through
a series of messages before hitting reply to add a comment,
a message can get mislocated.

In any case, the OP does seem to be facing a steep learning
curve with his new D800. I was just trying to help him to
optimize his results with his 28-300mm lens.

-- hide signature --

tiko
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
In reply to DP007, Apr 13, 2012

DP007 wrote:

BTW. Should I be keeping the the VR ON or OFF especially while shooing moving objects (birds, kids, etc) with Auto AF-C mode?

Yes. Looks like you have a lot of learning to do, don't let others' comments bring you down. Enjoy your d800 and lens.
--
@AT

tiko's gear list:tiko's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
DP007
Like?
Re: Wow! This must be my lucky day.
In reply to caribou, Apr 13, 2012

caribou wrote:

I'm not talking about you I am referring to DP007 who has just spent $4000 on a professional quality camera and does not have the first clue about operating a DSLR. Give me strength!

Operating a DSLR is not the problem for me, within a day I was able to figure out most of controls, menus, done few button customizations etc.. I guess I am smarter in that regard:).

However, I admit that I have lot to learn in composing good pictures with steady hand. I would take some of the constructive criticisms/advices from experts and learn from there.

Vrx1028
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to DP007, Apr 13, 2012

Yes, from my experience I can tell that VR ON and AF-C with 3D tracking improves hit rate significantly (unless you shoot on tripod something that is absolutely stationary).

Previously I was shooting mostly AF-S and didn't use any 3D tracking, face AF or other fancy modes, thought these are just marketing gimmick. But with D800 I have found that for my hands and travel/casual shooting, 3D tracking does miracle things when combined with AF-C. Looks to me that even slightest displacement of the subject makes a lot of difference with D800 sensor and AF system. When AF-S locks focus, it stays where it was. There is always some lag between the moment you lock it and the moment you depress shutter fully. Could be that movement of yourself and/or subject during this lag is enough to become noticeable (obviously the wider you open aperture, the more it is noticable with less DOF)... 3D tracking in AF-C mode continues tracking until you take the shot and at least in my case improves results.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads