Help, Newbie to DSLR, Step by step to test my 15-85

Started Apr 11, 2012 | Discussions
Wellcraft
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
Help, Newbie to DSLR, Step by step to test my 15-85
Apr 11, 2012

Hi guys and gals, I finally got my new 60d with a 15-85 lens and a 70-300. I'm very new to all this stuff and have no idea how to test my copy, I had a P&S but wanted to go with something much better.

Before purchasing everything I asked a lot in this forum and most members suggested this lens. i read that there was a lot of owners getting bad copies, but I decided to give it a try anyway.

Now, my question is, is there any step by step instruction on how to test this lens?

I've heard allot about stops, F stops (f-6.5 etc) and I have no idea what people are talking about and I don't even know if this is something that can be adjusted while taking a picture.

So I need someone to guide me as I was a huge moron and an ignorant, which I am right now.

I just finished the 3rd chapter on the owners manual but haven't seen anything about this.

All help will be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Wellcraft's gear list:Wellcraft's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Oly Canikon
Contributing MemberPosts: 978
Like?
Re: Help, Newbie to DSLR, Step by step to test my 15-85
In reply to Wellcraft, Apr 11, 2012

Hi
In spite of what you read it would be very unusual to get a bad copy.

The most likely problem would be what is called de-centering. You can test for that by taking a picture of a flat surface like a brick wall. The camera has to be square to the wall ie. not at an angle. De-centering will manifest as one corner or side out of focus while the center and other side are in focus.

Wellcraft wrote:

Hi guys and gals, I finally got my new 60d with a 15-85 lens and a 70-300. I'm very new to all this stuff and have no idea how to test my copy, I had a P&S but wanted to go with something much better.

Before purchasing everything I asked a lot in this forum and most members suggested this lens. i read that there was a lot of owners getting bad copies, but I decided to give it a try anyway.

Now, my question is, is there any step by step instruction on how to test this lens?

I've heard allot about stops, F stops (f-6.5 etc) and I have no idea what people are talking about and I don't even know if this is something that can be adjusted while taking a picture.

So I need someone to guide me as I was a huge moron and an ignorant, which I am right now.

I just finished the 3rd chapter on the owners manual but haven't seen anything about this.

All help will be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,203Gear list
Like?

Hmm, I'm not trying to put you down or anything nasty, but... if you're at the stage of, "I don't even know if this [f-stop] is something that can be adjusted while taking a picture", then I don't think you're ready to do any kind of lens testing.

I suggest you continue reading your manual (good on you for doing that!), and take many shots over a few weeks in Av mode using the centre AF point, then ask about lens testing.

You'll find lots of useful beginners' tips in the unofficial Rebel forum FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Peter Kwok
Senior MemberPosts: 2,112Gear list
Like?
Just go out and shoot

Enjoy photography. Go out and see the world through the viewfinder.
--
Peter Kwok
http://www.pbase.com/peterkwok
WYSIWYG - If you don't like what you get, try to see differently.

Peter Kwok's gear list:Peter Kwok's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Wellcraft
Like?
In reply to Oly Canikon, Apr 11, 2012

Thanks alot for the info, will be taking pics tomorrow to see if can notice it.

Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Wellcraft
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, Apr 11, 2012

I understand your point and for me it doesn't sound nasty. I know is too much of a camera for me but I wanted something nice and most important I'm willing to learn all this stuff.
I'm just opening the link you provided.

Thanks for the link and suggestions.

Wellcraft
Like?
Re: Just go out and shoot
In reply to Peter Kwok, Apr 11, 2012

Thanks, that's what I did this weekend :). Spent the week with my wife and 5 year old son and took some pics. But after spending almost $700 in my first lens, I would like to make sure I have a good copy. I have only 3 weeks for an exchange.

Wellcraft
Like?
In reply to WilbaW, Apr 11, 2012

Thanks for the link wilbaw, I spent hours and hours last night and some more during the morning reading, that's a great article. From that article I open other links and found great information and also a huge and very useful glossary.
Going to spend sometime today printing ton of pages.

Thanks again, have a lot to learn about this type of camera, but I'm looking forward to it.

WilbaW wrote:

Hmm, I'm not trying to put you down or anything nasty, but... if you're at the stage of, "I don't even know if this [f-stop] is something that can be adjusted while taking a picture", then I don't think you're ready to do any kind of lens testing.

I suggest you continue reading your manual (good on you for doing that!), and take many shots over a few weeks in Av mode using the centre AF point, then ask about lens testing.

You'll find lots of useful beginners' tips in the unofficial Rebel forum FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

victorian squid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,826Gear list
Like?
Yes, just shoot.

Everybody here is correct.

IMHO, even if you're seasoned, the best way to start out with a new lens is by taking pictures. The types you usually take. Close, far, indoors, outdoors. People, pets, flowers and trees.

Tests lead to more tests, and if you're doing them wrong you'll never be happy. The only time I suggest it is if you are sure there's a particular problem - then you can test for that.

Some folks are just plain old geeky with their equipment, I swear they buy to test and never take a single photo if it's not a chart or a wall.

If you look back on this forum within the past week I've posted gobs of links on how to test lenses. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=41170155 Somebody a bit further back looking to test their 15-85 as well.

victorian squid's gear list:victorian squid's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +27 more
gdanmitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,730
Like?
In reply to Wellcraft, Apr 12, 2012

There is another current thread here that might be useful/interesting to you:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1029&thread=41169771

Dan

WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,203Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wellcraft, Apr 13, 2012

Wellcraft wrote:

Thanks for the link wilbaw, I spent hours and hours last night and some more during the morning reading, that's a great article. From that article I open other links and found great information and also a huge and very useful glossary.

No worries. I wrote it for you.

Thanks again, have a lot to learn about this type of camera, but I'm looking forward to it.

I'd also recommend you spend some time in the Rebel forum. There are many beginners as well as old hands there, and it's a lot friendlier than the 60D forum.

Wyville
Senior MemberPosts: 2,423Gear list
Like?
Really, just go out and shoot

Wellcraft wrote:

Thanks, that's what I did this weekend :). Spent the week with my wife and 5 year old son and took some pics. But after spending almost $700 in my first lens, I would like to make sure I have a good copy. I have only 3 weeks for an exchange.

If you haven't noticed anything obvious, just forget about all the testing nonsense and have fun.

Wyville's gear list:Wyville's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
rickreyn
Contributing MemberPosts: 523Gear list
Like?

Quit worrying so much. If you are new, there are numerous opportunities to take blurry photos, etc. You'll never know until a couple of years from now. You've got a great kit (my kit). Have fun!
--
http://www.gloriography.com

rickreyn's gear list:rickreyn's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads