Looking for a professional Camera...please help!

Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions
murfdig09
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Looking for a professional Camera...please help!
Apr 10, 2012

Hi guys! I was wondering if some of the professionals and semi-pros might be able to assist me in my quest of up-grading my Nikon D3100. I am looking for a FX body camera and looking around the 3-6k mark. Closer to the 3k the better!

I am very happy w/ what I have and think I will continue using my D3100 but if I where to take the step from a beginner camera to a professional one I wondering what camera you would think would be good for my needs. My needs being:

Budget around 3-6k.
Nikon full-frame
Bracketing for HDR pictures

Manly shooting landscape and low-light photography (wooded areas, lakes, ocean, running water, various buildings at night, moon pictures…basically looking for acceptable low and high ISO
Some macro and astrophotography
Don’t care about video
May someday do weddings
Haven’t stepped into the flash photography field so not as important.
I show RAW and edit in CS3

I have the following lenses.
18-55mm Nikkor f/3.5
70-300mm Nikkor f/4.5
24mm Nikkor f/1.4

I understand people such as myself tend to upgrade rather than use what they have. I completely understand this. I am more interested in comments that would aid in my search if I were to take the leap, that is all. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

-- hide signature --

Mark Murphy

murfdig09's gear list:murfdig09's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Nikon D3100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
andrbar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,718Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking for a professional Camera...please help!
In reply to murfdig09, Apr 10, 2012

Hi Mark,
I'm not a professional, not even a semi-pro.

You should take in account lenses. You have only one professional lens in your collection.

If you're looking for a full frame camera, you might look for a used (or new) D700. Now that the D800 is out, you could find one at a good price. That would leave room for some FX lenses.
Just my 2 cts
André
PS: you should ask in the DSLR forum to get professional answers.

andrbar's gear list:andrbar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,349Gear list
Like?
Wrong forum?
In reply to murfdig09, Apr 11, 2012

You posted here: "Welcome to the Nikon Talk Forum, the place to discuss Nikon compact digital cameras."

I doubt you were looking for opinions on compact cameras. There are a few Nikon DSLR forums as well as a Nikon Lens forum. Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Larry
http://www.pbase.com/fernley

I'm experimenting with Quantum Physics and I just discovered that I can completely destr

murfdig09
New MemberPosts: 23Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong forum?
In reply to nevada5, Apr 11, 2012

haha whoops! Thanks for the feedback
--
Mark Murphy

murfdig09's gear list:murfdig09's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
D Lynch
Senior MemberPosts: 2,681Gear list
Like?
In reply to murfdig09, Apr 14, 2012

Andre's response was great.
I had a D80 and wanted to change.

Set out to find a d300s. Found a great deal on a brand new, unopened box d700. Didn't take it.

I would have had to replace all my lenses. I wasn't ready to do that. Bought a d300s, and I am pleased.

If I still had a business, I would have bought the 700, and invested in fast glass.

I have:
18-200vr
70-300vr
50/1.4 pre-D

Since then I have bought a Sony NEX system. It's high ISO performance is incredible. More recent NEX cameras would be better. Yet somehow I don't use it much.

DaveL
Toronto

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Nikon D300S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Patco
Forum ProPosts: 11,440
Like?
In reply to D Lynch, Apr 14, 2012

D Lynch wrote:

Set out to find a d300s. Found a great deal on a brand new, unopened box d700. Didn't take it.

I would have had to replace all my lenses.

I have:
18-200vr
70-300vr
50/1.4 pre-D

The 70-300mm & the 50mm are designed for full frame cameras, so no problem there on the D700.
The 18-200mm can be used in DX mode, but only at ~5MP.

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads