P510 - Attaching filters! (Not for purists)

Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 3,768Gear list
Like?
P510 - Attaching filters! (Not for purists)
Apr 10, 2012

I've read about the filter/lens adapter for P500/P510 here:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/67MM-Lens-adapter-converter-Nikon-Coolpix-P500-P510-/180848738321?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item2a1b6cc011

but based on my bad experience with a similar "adapter" for my Olympus SP-800UZ camera, I advise everyone AGAINST it, for several reasons: such adapters are heavy, cumbersome to put on, carry and put off again, they limit the light coming to the already tiny sensor and last but not least the price for such big filters are more than double. As for the lens, forget it! I've been so dummy or outright stupid to believe this hoax and from the three lens I got then, the only one usable has been the macro one. Finally I gave the entire gear as a present to a friend that wanted also my camera...

So let's come back to the filter issue: there is a so simple solution, that it could seem outrageous to some people, but that works perfectly The filter size: not 67, not 52, but... 49!

Here is everything you need:

Take a soft rubber protection pad and cut it to some 1.5mm thick (or thin, if you prefer). Then cut two small chips from its middle, broad to match the filter thread. Attach them somewhere on the filter thread: they'll stick to it, because of the special coating. Take another pad and repeat the action for the opposite part of the filter thread.

Put the camera off. Put a padded part on the base of the lens and push GENTLY the other padded part! READY! (Because of the striations I thought to be filter thread, the filter is fixed enough to be operated without problems and also ready to be put off with an equivalent operation (pull the high part, then take it off) when needed. Check out:

CAUTION: The pushing shouldn't be more than when attaching the protection cap! If there is a resistance or something doesn't go smoothly, modify the pad chips size! DON'T FORCE! You can take off the filter any time (actually even put it on, but just in case is better to perform attachment with the camera off).

Not to boast to you, but I've attached the pad chips to three fiters (PL-CIR, UV and WARM, Introductory set for beginners from Hoya) in less than half an hour...

Finally, the testing:

and after a 90 rotation:

I'm sorry if I offended someone with my solution, but I was so satisfied with it, that I've already ordered a high-quality PL-CIR Hoya filter, which, by the way, costs less than half a 67mm normal quality filter. There is no practical drawback: the camera remains intact, and if you want to use the filters elsewhere, you just pull the chips off; in the worse case you need to cut others...

Thank you for your time,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600
Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon Coolpix P510
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
John W B
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
Re: P510 - Attaching filters! (Not for purists)
In reply to Augustin Man, Apr 10, 2012

Sounds and looks good to me - I can't see this 'hurting' the camera in any way. The little pads will come off again no problem, although I'll probably leave a UV filter on the front of mine permanently as I have always done. Many thanks for the tip.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Augustin Man
Like?
In reply to John W B, Apr 11, 2012

John W B wrote:

Sounds and looks good to me - I can't see this 'hurting' the camera in any way. The little pads will come off again no problem, although I'll probably leave a UV filter on the front of mine permanently as I have always done. Many thanks for the tip.

Thank you for encouraging me in sharing my "solution" ! The only drawback is that you can't put the protection cap to the lens with the filter attached, but you wouldn't do that even with a regular filter thread, if only because the new high-quality Hoya filters don't have a front female thread.

All the best,

Augustin

Image_Orca
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to Augustin Man, Apr 11, 2012

It is very good DIY solution. Thanks for sharing the invention.

However, my only reservation is that mounting a heavy Cir PL filter at the tip of the flimsy long lens may eventually causing problem for alignment as well as the tiny motor in the camera. Please keep in post I would like to know.

On the other hand, the adapter would only be attached to the body by a grub screw and would not impost any stress on the lens and the motor, albeit the 67mm filters are more expensive than the 49mm filters.

John W B
Regular MemberPosts: 172
Like?
Can the P510 carry a filter without damage?
In reply to Image_Orca, Apr 11, 2012

I think the lens should easily be able to carry at least a UV filter judging by it's robust construction and stability at full zoom. To me it seems able to handle it. The 'grooves' within the rim of the lens really do look and feel (to my fingernail at least) like a fine thread......

Remember, I'm not advising anyone to do anything, just giving my personal opinion.

Augustin Man
Like?
In reply to Image_Orca, Apr 11, 2012

Image_Orca wrote:

It is very good DIY solution. Thanks for sharing the invention.

However, my only reservation is that mounting a heavy Cir PL filter at the tip of the flimsy long lens may eventually causing problem for alignment as well as the tiny motor in the camera. Please keep in post I would like to know.

On the other hand, the adapter would only be attached to the body by a grub screw and would not impost any stress on the lens and the motor, albeit the 67mm filters are more expensive than the 49mm filters.

Thank you, VERY good observation! P&S cameras with filter threads, like Fuji HS10, 20, 30 or Panasonic FZ150 are design to support much more weight (I read on a forum about a telephoto extension for Fuji on the tip of the extended lens weighting 275g!); but our problem is this camera was not designed to support filters.

So I started to make some measurements: first the lens cap has been designed to stay on the lens even with the camera on and with the lens fully extended (I found this mentioned, and also the lens cap cord is longer).

1. lens cap: 10g

Then the filters:

1. UV: 13g
2. Warm: 16g

3. Cir-PL: 18g (the normal quality one, I didn't receive the high-quality yet, it should be lighter as it hasn't a front thread).

So the maximum extra weight supported is 8 grams or 0.28 oz! Say more 2g the pads!

Frankly I don't think it could cause a problem whatever !

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man
Like?
In reply to Augustin Man, Apr 11, 2012

Got the "good" one: 15g only!

Augustin

Garmin
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?
In reply to Augustin Man, Apr 26, 2012
Augustin Man
Like?
In reply to Garmin, Apr 26, 2012

Garmin wrote:

Will this fit the Nokia P510

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Protector-Compatible-Olympus-Panasonic/dp/B0042ZSRSQ/ref=sr_1_25?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335432952&sr=1-25

Yes, but only with the ADAPTER (please see OP).

All the best,

Augustin

shir123
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Augustin Man, Jul 3, 2012

Hi Where would i get the self sticking pads from?

Augustin Man
Like?
In reply to shir123, Jul 4, 2012

shir123 wrote:

Hi Where would i get the self sticking pads from?

I got them in our DIY shops for a song (several cents)! Normally they are used as protection pads to all sort of house appliances or gadgets

All the best,

Augustin

Alex Ludden
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to Augustin Man, Nov 14, 2012

Hello Augustin Man,

Do you get any vignetting at wide angle? I read a review about  those other adapters and they said that was an issue.

Also, if I understand correctly, you are sticking the pad to the filter threads, and the pad holds the filter by friction against the little ridges for the lens cap, right? I couldn't quite tell from the pictures.

The lack of filter is keeping me from buying a P510. Maybe this will tip the scales

Thanks!

Alex

Archie B
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to Alex Ludden, Dec 2, 2012

I have a problem with this solution; the length of thread on my filter is so short the sticky pad won't sit securely on it - it just doesn't work for me.

I also bought the adapter from Hong Kong and I am so disappointed in it - it's great in that they've come up with a thread of some kind which screws securely into the striations on the camera lens barrel, but they have  failed to allow for the fact that the lens retracts slightly into the camera body, so that the flange fouls the body of the camera and could cause motor damage when turned off. If you don't screw it firmly home, the adapter is so loose when the camera is open, it's virtually useless. As mentioned by another contributor, the thread needs to be longer to allow the filter flange to screw fully home and leave a few thou clearance between the flange and  the camera body. If this is problematic because of the screw/striation fit, all that is needed is a short length of plain barrel of the same diameter as the lens mount between the thread and the flange to hold the flange just clear of the camera body when the lens closes. Another solution would be a suitably thick (2mm - 3mm) shim to seat into the lens housing, to let the adapter screw firmly home, but leaving that clearance behind the flange.

It's all so basic and simple - they've done the tricky bit with the screw design. I'm totally frustrated that they can't just do the obvious!

Archie B
Like?
In reply to Alex Ludden, Dec 14, 2012

After unsuccessfully trying this method, and wasting money (£9.50) on the Hong Kong converter which prevented the camera from switching off without fouling the mount, I had a go at another solution.

I filed off the flange of the converter, then filed the remaining rim down to about 3mm. This retained the thread which screws into the lens mount grooves, but does not foul the lens barrel when closed. I had also bought a cheap set of 49mm filters from Amazon (£6.15), so I took the UV filter and filed the threads down so that it sat securely into the adapter flange. A dab of adhesive on the mating surfaces gave additional solidity. This enables a 49mmm lens cap to fit on to the filter and also other filters such as polarising or fluorescent light filters to be added on top of the UV. It all works very well and is solid and easily screwed on and off, although there is a very small amount of vignetting at the widest angle. Using a 16:9 ratio removes it altogether, at 3:2 it's minimal. It's a decent solution at minimal cost, especially if you've already bought the bits. Alternatively, there is a guy in USA who will make you one with a 58mm filter mount for about 40 dollars - but he reckons you'll still get a little vignetting at wide angle, plus you'llalso have to buy the actual filter and a replacement lens cap.

KueH
Regular MemberPosts: 256
Like?
In reply to Archie B, Dec 15, 2012

Links and/or pictures of your setup, please ?

Archie B
Like?
In reply to KueH, Dec 17, 2012

Fitted to camera

The original adapter was from Ebay seller go4dc.

The depth of thread allowed the adapter to foul the lens barrel when the camera was switched off - this could damage the mechanism, so I decided it was no good. If you look at my photos you'll see a shiny rim round the filter holder, which is the filed-down part of the original adapter - this needs to be a small enough diameter to sit inside the lens mount. (The internally threaded flange is filed off and remaining rim filed down to the required diameter.) The 49mmm filter will fit firmly into the adapter body if you file down the threads a little, just keep trying it for size till it clicks in neatly. A dab of epoxy adhesive will hold it firmly in place. You should be aware that using additional 49mm filters on top of the UV/adapter will cause greater vignetting, using a step-up adapter and larger filters might solve that problem. If I was doing this again, I would use a 49/58 step-up adapter instead of the 49mm filter to make up my adapter. This would probably avoid vignetting altogether and would allow the the use of different individual 58mm filters.                                                 The USA guy who'll make you an adapter is hxhphoto.com                                                             Hope this helps.

Archie B
Like?
In reply to KueH, Dec 18, 2012

PS. The adapter ring is back in stock from Amazon at £8.99.

PaPa B
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Archie B, Feb 2, 2013

Hi: I bought 2 sets of the adapter set-up made by hxhphoto. The set includes the adapter(58mm), hood and cap. One set is on my wife's camera and it works great. The other is extra because I bought a different camera for myself. The sets cost $64 each. If anyone is interested, I'll sell the extra set for $32 plus shipping( I live in the US). Let me know and I'll post a buy-it-now listing on Ebay.

Archie B
Like?
In reply to KueH, Apr 8, 2013

Hi again,

As an update on previous posts on this subject, I have now re-done this adaptation using another adapter from Amazon and a 49-58mm step-up adapter.

Method: 1) File or grind off the flange of the Amazon adapter (avoid damage to external threads), leaving a 2mm width ring with the male thread attached.                                                                             -           2) Carefully file down the external (male) thread of the step-up adapter until it can be pressed firmly home into the the filed-down Amazon adapter.                                                             
            3) Put a thin ring of Araldite or superglue around the mating surfaces and press home. A touch of matt black paint to cover any scratched areas on the rear of the finished job and we're done.

So far as I can see, this set-up works perfectly and causes no vignetting at any setting.                 If anybody wants to give it a try and needs any more detail please ask on this forum.             Archie B.

Maureen I
Contributing MemberPosts: 539
Like?
In reply to Archie B, Apr 10, 2013

Archie B wrote:

Hi again,

As an update on previous posts on this subject, I have now re-done this adaptation using another adapter from Amazon and a 49-58mm step-up adapter.

Method: 1) File or grind off the flange of the Amazon adapter (avoid damage to external threads), leaving a 2mm width ring with the male thread attached.                                                                             -           2) Carefully file down the external (male) thread of the step-up adapter until it can be pressed firmly home into the the filed-down Amazon adapter.                                                             
            3) Put a thin ring of Araldite or superglue around the mating surfaces and press home. A touch of matt black paint to cover any scratched areas on the rear of the finished job and we're done.

So far as I can see, this set-up works perfectly and causes no vignetting at any setting.                 If anybody wants to give it a try and needs any more detail please ask on this forum.             Archie B.

Hi Archie,

Can you show anymore photos of what this looks like?  When I was using my Coolpix P80, there was a fellow in Canada that made an adapter so I could use 55mm filters, though I got a little bit of vignetting on the wide end.  I was hoping I could rig something up so I could use my 55 mm uv filter, circular polarizer, and a few others?  I had figured (with a vernier caliper) that the P510 would take a 51mm filter.  I bought a 49mm - 55mm step-up ring and am trying to find something to perhaps glue to the outside threads of the 49mm side so I could perhaps just gentlly push the modified step-up ring into the front of the lens.  I was thinking of o rings.  I didn't look thoroughly enough on a site that sells o rings, and ordered a few but they were too thin.  The 48mm (inner diameter) o ring fit snugly around the the 49mm threads but was too thin to fill in the extra room between 49mm and 51mm.  I later went on the site and saw there are some wider o rings.  I was thinking of ordering some of the wider ones and trying again.  I also saw some 51mm - 57mm step-up rings on the internet but then 57 mmm is an other odd size?

When I originally saw the 58mm and 67 mm adapters on ebay, I wanted to order the 58mm but I don't do PayPal.  I also emailed hxhphoto and was given prices and saw a post here of someone selling a discounted set sold by hxhphoto, but again, I don't do PayPal.

My other thought, could a push on lens cap be modified with the middle cut out and an adapter glued on?

Just me thinking and trying to figure out a set up for my 55 mm filters.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads