Trap focus on D800. Not working?

Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions
HenrikL
Junior MemberPosts: 38Gear list
Like?
Trap focus on D800. Not working?
Apr 10, 2012

Testing through my D800. Perhaps I have missed some intricate setting, but I can not get the camera to function with trap focus.

a4 AF activation AF-ON only
a2 AF-S Priority set to Focus

When I do this on my D300 the camera only fires when there is something in focus, but the D800 takes a picture everytime the the shutter is pressed.

Can somebody out there help me?

Henrik

HenrikL's gear list:HenrikL's gear list
Nikon D7100
Nikon D300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RustyKnee
Regular MemberPosts: 462
Like?
Re: Trap focus on D800. Not working?
In reply to HenrikL, Apr 10, 2012

are you using an AF or AFS lens? On the D700 it doesn't work for manual lenses. Not sure about if manual mode is selected...might not work then either.

also, is the focus dot lit, doe sthe body think its in focus even though it isn't?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mat Miller
Regular MemberPosts: 201
Like?
In reply to RustyKnee, Apr 10, 2012

yeah, check to see what your focus settings are on... check your lens and the camera.

HenrikL
Like?

RustyKnee wrote:

are you using an AF or AFS lens? On the D700 it doesn't work for manual lenses. Not sure about if manual mode is selected...might not work then either.

also, is the focus dot lit, doe sthe body think its in focus even though it isn't?

AF-S 105 mm Micro

No, focus dot is not lit.

Mystery to me. Seems as the focus priority setting superfluos on this otherwise nice camera.

Nikon D7100
glennwith2
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?

Just a thought -are you sure you have AF-S set as your autofocus mode? AF-C needs to be set at a1.

glennwith2's gear list:glennwith2's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF
Codefoto
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?

Maybe you are in AF-C mode and have that set to Shutter priority?

Edit: glennwith2 beat me to it ..

RustyKnee
Like?

HenrikL wrote:

RustyKnee wrote:

AF-S 105 mm Micro

Mystery to me. Seems as the focus priority setting superfluos on this otherwise nice camera.

on top of what the others said....check that the lens is set to AF/M rather than M (on the lens its self). Just tried mine and focus trap didn't work in M.

Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,222
Like?
Known issue: D800 focus-priority not working

As others have reported and I confirmed on my D800 body as well, the D800 appears to be ignoring the focus-priority setting for both AF-S and AF-C.

HenrikL
Like?

RustyKnee wrote:

HenrikL wrote:

RustyKnee wrote:

AF-S 105 mm Micro

on top of what the others said....check that the lens is set to AF/M rather than M (on the lens its self). Just tried mine and focus trap didn't work in M.

Thanks, everything mentioned is checked.

Both AF-S and AF-C ar set to focus priority. And AF-S is set.

Focus priority is not regarded in either AF-S or AF-C. The camera just happily shots away.

Is there any other setting that must be changed for focus priority to work?

Nikon D7100
HenrikL
Like?
Re: Known issue: D800 focus-priority not working
In reply to Horshack, Apr 10, 2012

Horshack wrote:

As others have reported and I confirmed on my D800 body as well, the D800 appears to be ignoring the focus-priority setting for both AF-S and AF-C.

That is interesting. I have missed those reports. Thanks for letting me know that I am not alone.

Nikon D7100
RustyKnee
Like?

Bummer..so much for software testing then :). Hopefully they will release a firmware update soon for you. While they are at it maybe they could make a focus trap that works with manual lenses

Stu

glennwith2
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?

Just checked my D800 with 2 screwdrive and one AFS lens - all working fine.
Sorry to hear your trouble.

glennwith2's gear list:glennwith2's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF
Chas P
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?

RustyKnee wrote:
maybe they could make a focus trap that works with manual lenses

My only gripe.. come on Nikon - what are you scared of.. the zeiss crowd? How cool would all these cameras look with Ai primes working properly.. They may as well introduce a new mount

Chas P's gear list:Chas P's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +2 more
JediLight
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chas P, Apr 10, 2012

Sorry to hear your troubles. My D800 is working fine.

My settings

a1 is set on release
a2 is set to focus

a3 is set to 3 (tried all the setting here to see if it made a difference and no impact)

worked with my a4 setting to both shutter and AF-ON only with release occuring only after lock on on either the shutter button (when activated), or the AF-ON button.

All tested with a Nikon AF-S 28-300

JediLight's gear list:JediLight's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
HenrikL
Like?
In reply to JediLight, Apr 10, 2012

JediLight wrote:

My settings

a1 is set on release
a2 is set to focus

a3 is set to 3 (tried all the setting here to see if it made a difference and no impact)

worked with my a4 setting to both shutter and AF-ON only with release occuring only after lock on on either the shutter button (when activated), or the AF-ON button.

Thanks for testing. In my case it does not work when I use identical settings to those that you mentioned. I have tried with 105 mm Micro and AFS 500/f4.0 VR and a few other lenses.

Nikon D7100
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,222
Like?

HenrikL wrote:

JediLight wrote:

My settings

a1 is set on release
a2 is set to focus

Thanks for testing. In my case it does not work when I use identical settings to those that you mentioned. I have tried with 105 mm Micro and AFS 500/f4.0 VR and a few other lenses.

Mine doesn't work either. I tried a 50mm f/1.8G and 50mm f/1.4G.

Graeme Davidson
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?

HenrikL wrote:

Testing through my D800. Perhaps I have missed some intricate setting, but I can not get the camera to function with trap focus.

When I do this on my D300 the camera only fires when there is something in focus, but the D800 takes a picture everytime the the shutter is pressed.

Henrik

I can confirm the same is happening on my D800 and D4! It works fine on a D3X

-- hide signature --

Graeme

drifter605
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
In reply to Graeme Davidson, Apr 10, 2012

Hi, reading this forum is so depressing when you have spent part of your new kitchen money on an expensive camera that only partly works!! What a farce! How do I explain all this to the Mrs? :O)

Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 742
Like?
In reply to drifter605, Apr 10, 2012

It works fine for me... the only problem I had was trying to prevent the camera from achieving focus!

Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?

Focus trap doesn't seem to work on my D800 either, it just takes a picture whenever I hit the shutter release, whatever the settings...

HenrikL wrote:

Henrik

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads