Youtube videos about D800 Live View

Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,921
Like?
Youtube videos about D800 Live View
Apr 10, 2012

I've posted a few so far...more planned soon.

AF performance and AF modes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzIxNOBPaaM&hd=1

Exposure Preview, On-screen meter and histogram:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ma806K764&hd=1

Magnification Levels plus comments on interpolation issue:
http://youtu.be/wAu8sCti0wg?hd=1

Power Aperture demontration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOE--l3qyuY&hd=1

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 941
Like?
Re: Youtube videos about D800 Live View
In reply to Horshack, Apr 10, 2012

Nice, do you know why the power aperture function only works with HDMI recording ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
trend1
Contributing MemberPosts: 966
Like?

Well done HS and thank you for your time and effort in creating these videos for us!

Alchin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152
Like?
In reply to trend1, Apr 10, 2012

Thanks for making these available. Appreciated.
Nicely done.

Cheers.

Arretose
Senior MemberPosts: 1,049
Like?

Finally, some helpful information, instead of negative comments and fear mongering!
--
Chris
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crossphotography/

andy bp
Regular MemberPosts: 332Gear list
Like?
In reply to Arretose, Apr 10, 2012

thanks horshack.

The live histogram video answered loads of questions i couldn't figure out from the manual i downloaded.

Cheers

Andy

andy bp's gear list:andy bp's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
elliotn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035
Like?
In reply to andy bp, Apr 10, 2012

Thanks for making these videos.

I'm intrigued by the face-tracking feature - it seems to work well.

I shoot a lot of editorial portraits (environmental, full length, always from a tripod), and I'm curious if face-tracking is more than just a gimmick. So far in your videos you haven't actually taken a picture. I'm looking forward to seeing the process (I hate it on my D700, and just use Live View for focusing). Does the mirror stay up? Does the LCD screen black out? And, most important, how fast can you shoot? - I read somewhere that in Live View you can only take a picture once every 5 seconds (?!) Elsewhere I read that it depends on the memory card, and that with a fast card you can shoot at one frame per second.

bob elkind
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,802Gear list
Like?
followed up in dvxuser

Posted a followup to your dvxuser thread. -- Bob
--
Bob Elkind

Family, mostly sports. Seriously, folks, I'm not that good. If I can do it, you can do it!
photo galleries at http://eteam.zenfolio.com
my relationship with my camera is strictly photonic

bob elkind's gear list:bob elkind's gear list
Nikon D700 Canon EOS 500D Nikon D600 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,190
Like?
Thanks. Very helpful. (nt)

Thanks. Very helpful.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Horshack
Like?
In reply to elliotn, Apr 10, 2012

elliotn wrote:

I shoot a lot of editorial portraits (environmental, full length, always from a tripod), and I'm curious if face-tracking is more than just a gimmick. So far in your videos you haven't actually taken a picture. I'm looking forward to seeing the process (I hate it on my D700, and just use Live View for focusing). Does the mirror stay up? Does the LCD screen black out? And, most important, how fast can you shoot? - I read somewhere that in Live View you can only take a picture once every 5 seconds (?!) Elsewhere I read that it depends on the memory card, and that with a fast card you can shoot at one frame per second.

The mirror stays up for non-flash exposures but the shutter cycles since the D800 doesn't have an electronic first curtain like Canon/Sony. The cycle time between photos is painfully slow - the camera blacks out the LCD until the image has been completely written to the card.

Horshack
Like?
In reply to Zlik, Apr 10, 2012

Zlik wrote:

Nice, do you know why the power aperture function only works with HDMI recording ?

I don't. I assume there's some technical reason but whatever it is it's not obvious to me.

reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?

Thank you for shooting these videos. Awesome work.

elliotn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035
Like?

Horshack wrote:

elliotn wrote:

The mirror stays up for non-flash exposures but the shutter cycles since the D800 doesn't have an electronic first curtain like Canon/Sony. The cycle time between photos is painfully slow - the camera blacks out the LCD until the image has been completely written to the card.

Thanks for the update. If you have to wait seconds between shots, it does seem that face-recognition is a gimmick.

ukat123
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?
In reply to elliotn, Apr 10, 2012

Great post. Very useful. Would be nice to have more posts like this.

Jim Gilley
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
In reply to ukat123, Apr 10, 2012

Nicely done and much appreciated!

Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,022Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Gilley, Apr 11, 2012

Great job, thanks for taking the time to do this and to advice us...
--
http://www.photoexpedition.net
http://www.fotoclubhonduras.com

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +42 more
Jim Trainor
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
Enormously valuable
In reply to Horshack, Apr 11, 2012

Thank you, Horshack. I found the video on magnification and interpolation very useful, and I'm very interested in your future findings on this subject.

Jim Trainor's gear list:Jim Trainor's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
aman74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,778
Like?

Horshack wrote:

elliotn wrote:

One thing I really wish they would have included, especially considering how Nikon themselves stress reducing vibration.

RanL
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?

Thanks for the videos. Very nice!

Can you tell me if continuous AF, as well as the face-tracking feature, work while recording video in just the same way as we see in LV tutorial?

Cheers,
Ran

Horshack
Like?
In reply to RanL, Apr 11, 2012

RanL wrote:

Thanks for the videos. Very nice!

Can you tell me if continuous AF, as well as the face-tracking feature, work while recording video in just the same way as we see in LV tutorial?

Yes, continuous AF and object/face tracking are available while recording video.

FYI - since making the CDAF video I have discovered that the D800's continuous AF shuts down completely when light levels drop below a certain threshold - the camera seems to stop detecting focus loss and so never attempts to reacquire focus. I don't have a precise EV measure on the threshold yet.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads