Best price/performance used primes?

Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions
SenorBeef
Regular MemberPosts: 282Gear list
Like?
Best price/performance used primes?
Apr 10, 2012

I'm looking to get some used primes (I can't afford the freshly more expensive new lenses at the moment), and I'm wondering which ones are considered the best bang for the buck. They can range anywhere from $20 to $200+, but which ones are worth it? Autofocus is preferred when possible but I'll learn to shoot manually too.

I hear good stuff about the various versions of the 50 1.7 (with the faster 50s being pretty pricey). Is there any particular version of that lens that's the best one to get?

What about other lenses? I'm mostly interested in primes, but if there's a good zoom or two, I'll grab those too.

SenorBeef's gear list:SenorBeef's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
Russ Houston
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,369Gear list
Like?
Re: Best price/performance used primes?
In reply to SenorBeef, Apr 10, 2012

I was going to say the manual 50mm f/1.7. You can find that for a song.
--
Russ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rfortson/
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/russfortson
Even bad photography can be fun

Russ Houston's gear list:Russ Houston's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,888
Like?

There are fewer AF primes than MF ones so your choice is more limited and because they are fully functional on digital bodies prices stay fairly high.

One lens which is an ideal starting point for a life of primes is the DA35 f2.4 AL - probably the best value lens in the current line-up. You could pay a lot more for the FA35 f2 but they are essentially the same lens.

Two early AF zooms worth looking out for are the F35-70 http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/zooms/medium/F35-70f3.5-4.5.html and the F70-210 http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/zooms/long/F70-210f4-5.6.html

There are lots of MF 28mm's around, AF versions are harder to find. Other MF favourites include the 135mm f3.5 and 200mm f4 lenses.

-- hide signature --
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 29,599
Like?

PM sent, I have 70 items for sale on the other forum
--
Mike from Canada

"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,965Gear list
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, Apr 10, 2012

I really like the 28mm FOV I have a M28 2.8 and M28 3.5. Apparently the 3.5 is better corrected for distortions, but on the otherhand it is also darker, the 3.5 is also bigger and feels like it's a better quality.

I think I paid 70 usd for it used in a shop. Then when I was out one day I lost the thing!!! So several years later I bought it again in mint condition from the UK for around 80 bucks.

I also recently bought the K 55 1.8 $80 a well regarded lens. Heavier and more substatial than the m 50 2 and the A 50 1.4 that I already have. I like it alot.

I have had the M 100 2.8 for years. It's a great performer and very small. It should be available for around 100 usd. I paid quite abit for it used here in Denmark from a highend photostore back in 1990 !

The 135mm lenses 3.5 are plentiful and quite small. I don't have one, but it's on my list..

Should should be able to find all of these somewhat cheaper in the states..

I really like working with these lenses, it's a treat to work with the smooth focus rings which aren't possible of AF lenses. AF lenses are damped but still much too easy to turn in my experience.

Hope this helps

Brent

-- hide signature --

Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,226Gear list
Like?

Hummm, can you narrow it down a bit... Ultra Wide Angle, Wide Angle, Normal, Short Telephoto, Telephoto ?

In MF I currently have and like: K24/2.8, K28/3.5, A50/1.7, M150/3.5, SMC K135/2.5 which I all like.

In AF DFA50Macro which I paid $200 used, which was a great deal.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,119
Like?
In reply to steephill, Apr 10, 2012

steephill wrote:

Two early AF zooms worth looking out for are the F35-70 http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/zooms/medium/F35-70f3.5-4.5.html and the F70-210 http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/zooms/long/F70-210f4-5.6.html

I second these recommendations. Just be sure to get the SMC F 70-210.

But the F 35-70 may not give you the wide angle you could need. Think in terms of what focal lengths you need for your type of photography.

The various versions of the 50 F1.7 are excellent. But in APS-C, it is a short telephoto lens, best for portraits, not so good as an all-around lens. For a "normal" lens, you might look for a copy of the FA 28.

Joe

SenorBeef
Like?
In reply to rogerstpierre, Apr 10, 2012

rogerstpierre wrote:

Hummm, can you narrow it down a bit... Ultra Wide Angle, Wide Angle, Normal, Short Telephoto, Telephoto ?

I need everything. All I've got now is the 18-55 kit lens.

I definitely want something wide, in the 14-22 type range, a normal lens (30-40), short telephoto/portrait (50-70), and probably something longer, maybe 85-125. I don't know if I'll need any long telephoto primes.

The other thing is that I don't know when to buy the F version of a lens, but stay away from the FA version, etc.... just all the different versions, which are gems, which aren't that great, which are a steal for their price.

I'd like at least one very few lens (f2 or better) in the normal-to-short telephoto range, 35-55ish.

SenorBeef
Like?

I meant very fast, not very few. I'd also like a fast wide, like a 20mm f2 or f2.8, but I know fast and wide is relatively difficult to do and hence rare and expensive generally.

HozicEmir
Contributing MemberPosts: 638
Like?

buy fast fifty first no mater which one, or maybe DFA 50 2.8 macro, most underrated extremely high IQ lens for macro and also portraits and maybe product photography.
DA35 is something like that just more pricier.

Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 19,516Gear list
Like?
This one is highly regarded

This one is highly regarded

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Helios-44

And its fun to use an old soviet lens!

Best is the 44M-7, there are lots of them on eBay for reasonable prices.

And you will need an M42 adapter

There is also an 44K-4 if you a K mount lens - but the last digit is resolution. So 7 is better than 4.

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Wanganuilad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,131
Like?
Re: This one is highly regarded
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Apr 10, 2012

M42 adapter
Super Takumar 105mm f2.8 with hood

Pete

-- hide signature --

K-5 some Len

Wanganuilad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,131
Like?
The one I won't sell :)
In reply to Wanganuilad, Apr 10, 2012

attempt to change header double post sry
K-5 some Len

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,320Gear list
Like?

The helios has funky bokeh! Not bad, but funky: you gotta see it to know if you'll like it. Its big brother, the helios 40 (85mm f/1.5) is on my "want" list, but i wouldn't replace my 77.

If you get a fast MF lens in this range, I'm sure you'll want a focus-screen upgrade.

You might want to look for a macro lens too, in the 100mm range. The manual focus ones are just as nice anyway.

I recently got a Petacon 135mm f/2.8 with 18 blades, I like it a lot. There are many old long lens with many blades.

With wider lens you'll run out of options using old, and therefore full-frame lens. You're not going to find anything wider than your 18-55, unless you're prepared to pay for it! A Sigma 10-20 might be the best option. I have the 8-16. I think tokina makes a nice wideangle.

Don't be afraid of M42, once you get used to it, it's great.

Good luck!
--
-----------------------------------------------
Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
Col K10d
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,198Gear list
Like?

Just be careful the 44M7 does require a little surgery on the Auto pin.
--

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
Roland Karlsson
Like?
In reply to Col K10d, Apr 10, 2012

Col K10d wrote:

You mean to keep it in?

Because there is no A/M switch?

Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,685Gear list
Like?
Best bang/buck
In reply to SenorBeef, Apr 11, 2012

SenorBeef wrote:

I'm looking to get some used primes (I can't afford the freshly more expensive new lenses at the moment), and I'm wondering which ones are considered the best bang for the buck. They can range anywhere from $20 to $200+, but which ones are worth it? Autofocus is preferred when possible but I'll learn to shoot manually too.

I may bump up to the top of your $200+ price ceiling, but...

F/FA 50 1.7 ($175 - $250) - one of the best 'cheap' fast-50's ever made, probably the best.

M 100 f/2.8 ($75 - $150) - very small, sharp, green button makes this a fantastic little telephoto.

M 85 f/2 ($180 - $280) - My favorite MF prime. Small, solid, wonderful sharpness even wide-open, sweet bokeh. Equal IMO to my FA 77ltd in IQ.

M/A 50 f/1.7 ($40 - $80) - MF version of the best 'cheap' 50.

M 28 f/2.8 ($40 - $60) - I love the colors and sharpness - a great walkabout hyperfocal choice.

K 55 f/1.8 ($35 - $75) - Beautiful, soulful rendering, interesting and artful bokeh.

... but if there's a good zoom or two, I'll grab those too.

The Pentax 16-45 f/4 ($200 - $250) is an incredible bargain, if you ask me - very sharp, that incredible DA contrast, a nice wide FL range and constant aperture. There are those who haunt this forum who liken it to an 18-55 kit lens - it's not. It's actually closer to the DA 15ltd in spirit and performance, IMO.

Have fun! despite the recent price hikes, pentax can still be a used equipment gold mine and bring a lot of fun to someone who's willing to learn the craft with these older gems.

--
Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 24,852
Like?
See Stan's...
In reply to SenorBeef, Apr 11, 2012

You can glean a lot of information from the following two links:

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Col K10d
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,198Gear list
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Apr 11, 2012

Exactly that.

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Col K10d wrote:

You mean to keep it in?

Because there is no A/M switch?

-- hide signature --

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
Roland Karlsson
Like?
In reply to Col K10d, Apr 11, 2012

Col K10d wrote:

Exactly that.

Ouch! Seems like only old ones has an AM switch. Not optimal image quality.

Hmmm ... then 44K-4 is probably the best choice. K-mount.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads