What makes you shoot?

Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions
OngBak
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
What makes you shoot?
Apr 10, 2012

How often do you guys actually pick up the camera and take some shots? Do some experimenting or practicing?

And more importantly perhaps, what makes you do that? Where do you get the kind of inspiration/motivation that prompts to action. Or do you just come up with your ideas by yoruself?

Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 11,662Gear list
Like?
Re: What makes you shoot?
In reply to OngBak, Apr 10, 2012

OngBak wrote:

How often do you guys actually pick up the camera and take some shots? Do some experimenting or practicing?

And more importantly perhaps, what makes you do that? Where do you get the kind of inspiration/motivation that prompts to action. Or do you just come up with your ideas by yoruself?

My camera is at arm's length at home, and comes with me for everything except watering the garden.

I don't really think in terms of inspiration.ut when this little critter visited for a couple of days, it had me shooting for hours -

http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner/image/142532679

Henry

-- hide signature --

Henry Falkner - SZ-30MR, SP-570UZ, Stylus 9010
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SZ-30MR Olympus SH-50
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leslinfoot
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to OngBak, Apr 12, 2012

OngBak wrote:

OngBak;

I have to first admit that I'm probably not the typical guy on this forum. I'm not a photographer. I'm a painter that photographs things. I have always used a camera as a note taking device, a substitute for sketching. I have also tried to make "serious photographs". In fact, I got into art school (actually a university art department) in the early 70s by wowing the committee with my B&W prints shot with a Russian Zenit-B SLR and a hand-held selenium meter and printed in my bathroom/darkroom with a Beseler B-22 enlarger. If I remember correctly I favoured Kodak Tri-X or Ilford 400 film and printed almost exclusively on Ilford papers.

Recently I have begun to take pix that are more than notes.

And this has caused me some sort of mental anguish. You see, I want to take pictures; I just don't want to take the same pictures everyone else is taking. So I get out one or two days per week and I try desperately to avoid taking the same pictures I am seeing on sites like Flickr or SmugMug or Piccasa.

So when I find myself on a stream with a small waterfall, I have to ask myself, "How do I shoot this without turning in the 'foamy water shot'?"

When I am out at night I ask myself, "How do I avoid those annoying 'star trail shots'?"

In the market in Guadalajara/Lima/Cairo/Istanbul, I avoid the weathered old man/woman with the colourful headgear and look for something that nobody has photographed before.

I fail more often than I succeed, but the few successes feel really good.

Jaysun
Regular MemberPosts: 328
Like?

I pick up my camera several times a week. In fact, as I type this, it's on a tripod outside, shooting star trails. (TAKE THAT, LESLINFOOT!)

I'm fairly new to the game, though, and my interest is sure to taper off (it certainly has before).

I find inspiration in several places. One of which is the challenges on this website. Seeing what can be accomplished (especially with limited gear) drives me to see if I can compete with the great photographers on this site. Sometimes I do well, others not so much, but learning new things make any shoot worth it, regardless of the resulting shots.

To be honest, though, the primary reason I shoot is so I can eventually be good enough to capture the imporant moments in the lives of my family and friends and make them look good. Not just some fool with a good camera good... but photos that you want to frame and that accurately represent the event, be it a graduation, birthday party, a fishing trip, etc. When I look at really good wedding photos, taken by a pro, they seem larger than life. I want to replicate that feeling with every photo I take. That's my goal.

leslinfoot
Like?
In reply to Jaysun, Apr 12, 2012

Jaysun wrote:

I pick up my camera several times a week. In fact, as I type this, it's on a tripod outside, shooting star trails. (TAKE THAT, LESLINFOOT!)

Taken. But I think I'm still going to avoid shooting stars.

Kris in CT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,312Gear list
Like?

Well, my story is strange, I won't bore anyone with all the details, but I shoot and pick up my camera to replace alcohol. I've been sober for a year and a half now because of health reasons even though I'm a young 38. I've been around cameras my entire life but never really cared about them. In the past year I found this new strange addiction called photography. I can't get enough. I'm a chef by trade so I work long hard hours often 6, if not 7 days a week.

Inspiration, many things like this forum / challenges, a new piece of gear, bugs etc. I found a camera has opened my eyes to different perspectives in the world. If I want to learn about a flash, I will setup a flower or something and take like 100 pictures of it changing flash angle, aperture, shutter etc.

So strangely my camera is somehow my safety net and I can often forget about all the drama in my life. Yup, I am truly a strange one..... Cheers

Kris in CT's gear list:Kris in CT's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 2,850Gear list
Like?

I try to get out with my camera at least once a week. As to why I shoot, I shoot what interests me. I try to shoot the kind of pictures that I like to look at, the pictures that interest me.

I think everyone needs to express oneself. Some write. Some paint. Some play music or sing. Some take photographs.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM | C
GodSpeaks
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,724Gear list
Like?

Whenever I travel, my camera goes with me. I enjoy traveling and seeing new places and want to capture the scenes.

My other photographic passion is... (wait for it)... beautiful women. I love photographing women. I have been doing this for years, and now have a long list of women ready and willing to pose for me.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'

• Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,921
Like?
In reply to Kris in CT, Apr 12, 2012

Kris in CT wrote:

Well, my story is strange, I won't bore anyone with all the details, but I shoot and pick up my camera to replace alcohol. I've been sober for a year and a half now because of health reasons even though I'm a young 38.

Congratulations and good luck keep on shooting, nice Egret

I've been around cameras my entire life but never really cared about them. In the past year I found this new strange addiction called photography. I can't get enough. I'm a chef by trade so I work long hard hours often 6, if not 7 days a week.

Inspiration, many things like this forum / challenges, a new piece of gear, bugs etc. I found a camera has opened my eyes to different perspectives in the world. If I want to learn about a flash, I will setup a flower or something and take like 100 pictures of it changing flash angle, aperture, shutter etc.

So strangely my camera is somehow my safety net and I can often forget about all the drama in my life. Yup, I am truly a strange one..... Cheers

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,648
Like?

OngBak wrote:

Every day unless there is something really wrong.

Been looking at pictures as art since I was 5, drawing as art since 8 and shooting since I was roughly 14. Basically it is all habit. If I dry up behind the camera then I draw, dry up drawing then sculpt or paint etc.. They feed into each other and I rarely need to go outside the loop for ideas. You can shoot every day though and even if those aren't the best or most inspired I am still doing other things to keep the rut frustration away. It all comes back around again.

-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

torame
Like?

I shooting just for the purpose of being happy when the pictures are came out to be masterpiece IMO, or some day i can gain back the time when is far away from me, but it really exist in my heart.
--
smart man!

facedodge
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?

I shoot because of all the women, fame and money.... sarc.

facedodge's gear list:facedodge's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
Aloeignut
Contributing MemberPosts: 546
Like?
In reply to OngBak, Apr 13, 2012

I shoot pictures because I can't not shoot pictures. The inspiration is whatever catches my eye.

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
The Voices make me do it :-) (nt)
In reply to OngBak, Apr 13, 2012
-- hide signature --

StephenG

Ed Rizk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,398
Like?
In reply to OngBak, Apr 15, 2012

OngBak wrote:

I take pictures several times a week, depending on my schedule, the weather, etc. I try something new or to improve my results on a newly attempted technique several times a month.

I shoot half the time for work. I sell and lease real estate. Since I go to each property every week, often several times, I have the advantage over those who used to do my photos and flyers before. They have to get it right in one or two visits to the site. I have dozens.

The other half of my shooting time is split between family/friend photos and artistic attempts at local landmarks, landscapes, flowers, animals, or whatever I find interesting at the time. I get some ideas from looking at others' work, mostly for new styles and techniques. Most of my ideas for specific photos are a result of my desire to capture a certain look of a scene in life that interests me. Occasionally I will photograph a subject suggested by a friend.

-- hide signature --

Ed Rizk

jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,778
Like?

I carry my Olympus XZ-1 in a shirt pocket all the time. I like to take pictures and digital lets me take them for free, no developing costs. I love light and color. Like yesterday -- it rained heavily and when I drove over to the beach the sun came out and there were these beautiful clouds. How could anyone NOT like photography!

MaxIso
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?

i like the idea of being able to freeze a moment in time. i like the idea of being able to show somebody else what my eyes were seeing. it is a preservation system and u can preserve anything your eyes can see, to me this is priceless.

StephanSwiss
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?

...be careful here.... I was reprimanded for raising a similar off-gear topic. This is a site about GEAR.
--
Stephan
http://www.stephan-sulser.ch

jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,778
Like?
In reply to StephanSwiss, Apr 15, 2012

Well, I don't know... there's absolutely zero market for the gear if our aging group of camera guys lose their enthusiasm and move to smartphones! Who's Fuji going to sell that X100 to, my grandchildren? They don't even know what a camera is.

Gear's fine. Very interesting. But so is why we are all here, what our stories are, and why we want to keep spending large amounts of money on products that are wonderfully obsolescent. The future is obviously good-enough cameras built into smartphones and tablets. If I were DPreview -- and the camera manufacturers -- I would try to do everything I could to encourage amateur enthusiasm before the remaining market is overwhelmed by millions of aperture-illiterate new consumers.

Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,352Gear list
Like?

I shoot perhaps 1-3 times a week. Lately I’ve been more interesting in writing, as well as clearing up my backlog of RAW photos that need processing. As it so happens, we’ve had a period of rain here making me want to stay indoors.

But springtime is a great time for shooting, and I disappoint myself if I don’t often head off to the forest or botanical gardens with their floral finery.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Rokinon 85mm F1.4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads