Sigma manual focus 400mm f5.6 lens.

Started Apr 10, 2012 | Discussions
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,866
Like?
Sigma manual focus 400mm f5.6 lens.
Apr 10, 2012

If anyone has an interest there is an E- Condition Sigma manual focus 400mm f5.6 (72mm filter) at Adorama for US $99

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KentG
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,618
Like?
Re: Sigma manual focus 400mm f5.6 lens.
In reply to brandrx, Apr 10, 2012

Maybe the manual lens has some value but the AF version of that lens is a known POS and was for something like 20 years. That was the #1 lens I used as an example of the reverse Peter Principle of lens buying I talked about on the old PentaxDiscuss factory forum for decades. The principle is "It would keep getting sold till it got in the hands of someone who could not tell it was bad". What gives it away is the 72mm filter ring. It had a big brother also, the 500/7.2. These lenses are the ones you don't sell to anyone you want to keep as a friend.
Kent Gittings

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,748Gear list
Like?
In reply to brandrx, Apr 10, 2012

The POS can create quite respectable images.

For a £200 (in its day) it has similar IQ to modern 50-200 or the 55-300.

Don't point it at high contrast though as it lack of Apochromatic lens and substandard (for today) coatings will show it heritage.

This from the AF variant.

Don't for a second think it'll compete with a modern DA*300 (£1000) or even the 400 Telemacro(£2500 in its day) , But for what it is its a good lens.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
awaldram
Like?
In reply to awaldram, Apr 10, 2012

This is what happens on high contrast edges

Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
awaldram
Like?
In reply to awaldram, Apr 10, 2012

It'll look like the one at the bottom but may be in Grey or White.
--
My PPG
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/andrewwaldram
My Photo Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/awaldram/
1x.com
http://1x.com/artist/awaldram/wall

wjwncpro_Ds
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,983
Like?
Re:Don't forget the green one...
In reply to awaldram, Apr 11, 2012

I use the wrist bands to hold the lens hood in place and to add a little friction to the focus ring...

brandrx
Like?
Don't forget the WHITE one...
In reply to wjwncpro_Ds, Apr 11, 2012

KEH is showing a white one (gray?) as a BGN for $245. Dang! That's way too high IMO.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

awaldram
Like?
Re:Don't forget the green one...
In reply to wjwncpro_Ds, Apr 11, 2012

Show off

That one looks in nice condition, I keep looking for a white one just so I can play the the cannon gang

awaldram
Like?
Re: Don't forget the WHITE one...
In reply to brandrx, Apr 11, 2012

brandrx wrote:

KEH is showing a white one (gray?) as a BGN for $245. Dang! That's way too high IMO.

If the description is correct and it is the APO variant then the price is quite keen.

If it the no APO then yes overpriced, my opinion for ok prices is

1 non apo £100
2 Apo 72mm £170-£200
3 Telemacro (77mm) £500-£600

But knowing what I do about the optical qualities of the Telemacro I'd pay more with warranty.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

brandrx
Like?
awaldram...

awaldram wrote:

brandrx wrote:

If the description is correct and it is the APO variant then the price is quite keen.

1 non apo £100
2 Apo 72mm £170-£200

But knowing what I do about the optical qualities of the Telemacro I'd pay more with warranty.

I ordered one from KEH back in 2004 or 2005 that showed the exact same image as is shown in my link. I received a gray one and it sure as heck was not APO. I finally came to the conclusion (probably wrong) that the white APO version did not come in Pentax mount. Therefore, I gave up looking until I finally came across my Sigma 400/5.6 Tele-Macro.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

awaldram
Like?
Re: awaldram...

brandrx wrote:

awaldram wrote:

brandrx wrote:

1 non apo £100
2 Apo 72mm £170-£200

I ordered one from KEH back in 2004 or 2005 that showed the exact same image as is shown in my link. I received a gray one and it sure as heck was not APO. I finally came to the conclusion (probably wrong) that the white APO version did not come in Pentax mount. Therefore, I gave up looking until I finally came across my Sigma 400/5.6 Tele-Macro.

Don't know about white but the original spec sheet says it available in PK.

Afain

72mm is available MF and AF non APO
72mm Is available MF only, APO

77mm is available in black and white in two liveries as above with short foot and with the knobbly grip and large foot (like the 70-200)

Here enjoy blast from the past

http://www.sigmauser.co.uk/images/stories/museum/APReview40056AF.pdf

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

awaldram
Like?

And one more juist to confirm what we already know (feel good factor)

The Sigma 1995 Catalogue

http://www.sigmauser.co.uk/images/stories/museum/LensCatalogue1995.pdf

The Telemacro 300 and 400 pick up best lens of the year awards

brandrx
Like?
Thanks...

awaldram wrote:

The Sigma 1995 Catalogue

Good find. Thanks.

I finally found another 300 TM after the one I had went bad on me and couldn't be fixed. Dang! I just love these Sig 300 and 400 TM's. I wonder why Sigma quit making these two wonderful lenses?

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

awaldram
Like?
Re: Thanks...

brandrx wrote:

awaldram wrote:

The Sigma 1995 Catalogue

Good find. Thanks.

I finally found another 300 TM

Oooh I'm jealous was on the lookout for one for many years Now have the DA* so can't justify (wife)

after the one I had went bad on me and couldn't be fixed.

Di it slip the gears , the mechanism was designed by someone smoking dope I'm sure of it Gear chain on a large stanchion with press fit joints there's only going to be one outcome in many cases

Totally jarring with the build and finish of the package.

Dang! I just love these Sig 300 and 400 TM's. I wonder why Sigma quit making these two wonderful lenses?

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

brandrx
Like?

awaldram wrote:

I finally found another 300 TM

Oooh I'm jealous was on the lookout for one for many years Now have the DA* so can't justify (wife)

I've only seen two of them since 2005 and I bought them both.

after the one I had went bad on me and couldn't be fixed.

Di it slip the gears , the mechanism was designed by someone smoking dope I'm sure of it Gear chain on a large stanchion with press fit joints there's only going to be one outcome in many cases

It was like a separation of the elements or something like that. If I pointed the lens to something like 20 degrees up it was totally out of focus in the viewfinder and the image taken. Point it back down or level and the viewfinder and the image is completely sharp. I sent it in for repair and it was sent back to me saying it could not be repaired. I finally gave it to UtahManSir (Lloyd) and told him it was not for shooting at birds in the trees. Shooting it at anything down, level, or 10 degrees up is OK.

Totally jarring with the build and finish of the package.

-- hide signature --

UtahManSir
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,579
Like?

brandrx wrote:

It was like a separation of the elements or something like that. If I pointed the lens to something like 20 degrees up it was totally out of focus in the viewfinder and the image taken. Point it back down or level and the viewfinder and the image is completely sharp. I sent it in for repair and it was sent back to me saying it could not be repaired. I finally gave it to UtahManSir (Lloyd) and told him it was not for shooting at birds in the trees. Shooting it at anything down, level, or 10 degrees up is OK.

Forsters in Salt Lake has it right now... I am mulling their $150 repair (+ any parts over $15...... they will call me about......)

Gotta think about it....

L
--

“For every problem there is a solution which is simple, clean and wrong.” Henry Louis Mencken

http://lloydshell.blogspot.com/
http://lloydshell.zenfolio.com/
WSSA #354

brandrx
Like?
Lloyd...
In reply to UtahManSir, Apr 12, 2012

UtahManSir wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Forsters in Salt Lake has it right now... I am mulling their $150 repair (+ any parts over $15...... they will call me about......)

Gotta think about it....

Hi Lloyd,

That would be so cool if they can fix it. However, my impression from CRIS was that parts are no longer available for this lens. Perhaps if it is some kind of lens seperation it could be glued back together. I hope you can get it fixed. it really is a great lens IMO.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

KentG
Like?
In reply to awaldram, Apr 12, 2012

Yeah but I can get better images from an old manual Vivitar 400/5.6 TX mount lens. Main reason I kept the Vivitar for 20 years so far. Of course some of its major faults are not seen when used on a crop sensor camera, mainly the weak edges. There was a reason that it only got a Photodo MTF rating of 1.7 which was just about the lowest I can remember for a prime lens in the film era. Heck the Sigma AF 135-400/4.5-5.6 at 400mm is close to the same. But you can do a lot with software these days.
Kent Gittings

KentG
Like?

That one looks at least part Akita.
Kent Gittings

KentG
Like?

Out of that catalog I have owned several lenses. During my Minolta Maxxum 9 days I owned these 3:
70-210/2.8 APO
300/2.8 APO
1000/8 APO
The lens I really wanted once upon a time was the 180/2.8 Macro
Kent Gittings

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads