Which camera to choose , GX1 or NEX 5 N

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions
Jiskefet
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?
Which camera to choose , GX1 or NEX 5 N
Apr 9, 2012

I did read a lot about a new camera and i did narrowed it down tot he Panasonic GX1 and the Sony NEX5N , i will use the camera mostly on my holidays , will also shoot video with the camera .

GX1 + for me

Easy and quick access controls , menu .
Better grip
Lens size’s smaller

NEX 5N + for me

Tilting screen
Full HD video
Beter high ISO
Cheaper – about 200 Euro’s

What about the Panasonic PZ 14-42mm lens , are there still problems with blurry pictures ?

Hope you can help me which camera to choose , thx , sorry for my Englisch if not 100% correct .

Jiskefet's gear list:Jiskefet's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 15,109Gear list
Like?
Re: Which camera to choose , GX1 or NEX 5 N
In reply to Jiskefet, Apr 9, 2012

Jiskefet wrote:

I did read a lot about a new camera and i did narrowed it down tot he Panasonic GX1 and the Sony NEX5N , i will use the camera mostly on my holidays , will also shoot video with the camera .

GX1 + for me

Better grip
Lens size’s smaller

NEX 5N + for me

Tilting screen
Full HD video
Beter high ISO

What about the Panasonic PZ 14-42mm lens , are there still problems with blurry pictures ?

Hope you can help me which camera to choose , thx , sorry for my Englisch if not 100% correct .

I'm sorry to say that what spoils it for me a little is that you do seem certainly to have a big importance on using it for Vids.. personally I've never felt that ANY stills camera can truly meet the needs as well as a dedicated Camcorder...but if folk want that on a stills then you have to accept the limitations..

I know nothing whatever of the NEX cameras..just don't like them and I don't think it is such a good system as the lens choices I think are limited as compared to others..and the style doesn't fit my thoughts..but that's another thing..if YOU feel them a possibility.

But the GX1 is a fine camera indeed..I have one.. although I'm getting more swayed to the G3 body which is effectively just the same ...BUT it has a built-in EVF and articulated LCD..which are nice extras to have. Vids though I believe are still with problems.. focussing and/or auto-focus in shooting Vids I believe is not too good. If Vids really is one of your strong wishes..I do feel that this just has to lead you to the GH2 which IS a model made FAR more for Vids..very excellent indeed it can be when shooting Vids and most all Reviews and comments will tend to support that..for general use.. it is literally exactly the same engine and everything as the GX1/G3...but FAR better for Vids..so that one DOES give you all.. but you pay the price of a little more bulky camera..

Define your absolute needs..THEN you can make a better decision... and it seems that Vids may be an important element. A job 'half-done' is not a good job at all...

-- hide signature --

eric
Staffordshire, UK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dp88
Regular MemberPosts: 330
Like?
size of the lenses

For me, it comes down to the size of the lenses. I can't fit any of these mirrorless cameras into my pocket. I can fit my m43 camera, five lenses, an umbrella, a table top tripod, and a sandwich in a small messenger bag. I'm not sure if I could do that with a Sony. Those Sony lenses are huge. It doesn't matter if the camera is smaller than a m43 when the lenses are three times as large.

aodi
Contributing MemberPosts: 741
Like?
Re: size of the lenses
In reply to dp88, Apr 9, 2012

Three time as large????

FYI

Oly 17mm 22mm 71g
Sony 16mm 23mm 74g

Pana 14-45 60mm 195g
Sony 18-55 60mm 194g

Oly 45mm 46mm 116
Sony 50mm 62mm 202 but has IS

Sigma 19mm and 30mm available for both

etc etc
--
Anatoli

Dr Hal
Contributing MemberPosts: 781Gear list
Like?

I agonized for weeks back and forth over my decision between the NEX 5n, N

EX 7 and the GX1. I finally decided on the GX1 because it has a better system, many more lenses and the lenses are much smaller. I love the GX1 and am not sorry for a minute that I bought itl. My son has a G3 which is also a very nice camera.

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
Winston Loo
Contributing MemberPosts: 681Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dr Hal, Apr 9, 2012

GX has full HD Video 1080i 60/50

Winston Loo's gear list:Winston Loo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +6 more
YeoHoon Bae
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?
In reply to aodi, Apr 9, 2012

aodi wrote:

Three time as large????

FYI

Oly 17mm 22mm 71g
Sony 16mm 23mm 74g

There's also:
Pany 14mm 20.5mm 55g

Pana 14-45 60mm 195g
Sony 18-55 60mm 194g

Pany 14-42 60mm 165g
Oly 14-42 II R 50mm 113g

Oly 45mm 46mm 116

etc etc

Ok, so OP's 3 times smaller is an exaggeration, but I'm one of those who originally bought the NEX system (NEX 5) due to the size/weight issues with DSLR system, then switched once again to m43 due to NEX lens size and selection issues.

YeoHoon Bae's gear list:YeoHoon Bae's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,490Gear list
Like?

Go for the GX1, image quality is great, the Micro Four Thirds is a mature system, and you have a lot of very good lenses to choose (and smaller), also the built quality is better

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
GingerBread
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?

Both are very good cameras. M4/3 has a much better lens selection and that will likely continue to be the case for a at least a few more years. The lenses are smaller as well, especially when you get into telephoto and comparing similar fields of view. And the GX1 has better auto focus than the NEX. EVF is less expensive for the GX1, although a little lower spec'd, but still very good. If you shoot much outdoors in bright light, the EVF is a nice accessory to have.

The NEX has a more capable sensor, although you might not see any difference in much of what you shoot. The 5N has better specs for video, but if you will shoot long videos, you should read up on the overheating issue. The NEX also has focus peaking to help confirm AF or to use as in aid when manually focusing legacy lenses. It is not perfect, but it is very helpful much of the time and I sure wish my GX1 had it. The NEX also has some neat tricks in its software that really do work (panorama, HDR, hand held twilight...). The software tricks have some limitations and don't do anything you can't do in post-processing, but I like those tricks.

Both are very good. I use both systems. Right now, I use the NEX for manual focus legacy lenses and mid range AF shots, and I go to M4/3 for the Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye, Oly 9-18 and the Pany 100-300.
--
Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +2 more
Jiskefet
Like?
In reply to Winston Loo, Apr 9, 2012

Are you sure , i thougt that only 10800P was full HD

dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,528Gear list
Like?
Simple...

Sony has a better sensor, Panny has lots of lenses, and better lenses. If you find the image quality of the Panny good enough (I certainly do...) go for the GX1.
--
-------------------------------------------------
No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,831Gear list
Like?
A pleasant dilemma

Look at the systems as a whole. What lenses, flash, tripods etc... do you see yourself buying in the next 18 months or so? What would you spend the extra €200 Euros on with the Nex system?

If possible, go to a shop and compare the two bodies and get a look at any lenses you might be interested in. Pick the cameras up, see how they feel to you. Both cameras will take fantastic photos in the right hands, but whatever you choose will involve a compromise.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
JoeSchmoe
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,145
Like?

I had the 5N for a few weeks. AF was slow, particularly in low light. The AF of the GX1 is much faster and more reliable in my experience.

Furthermore, there's no comparison at the moment in terms of lens system. I love my 12mm, 20mm, and 45mm primes. Small, fast, superb quality. Nothing comparable in size, price, and quality on the NEX side (the 24mm Zeiss checks the quality box, but not size or price).

The NEX sensors may be better in theory, but paired with lenses, I think micro four-thirds is superior.

Jiskefet
Like?
In reply to JoeSchmoe, Apr 9, 2012

Because i will use the camera and lenses manly on my holidays i will pick out just 2 lenses , 1 wide angel zoom and 1 zoom up to 150 -200.
I will not use a tripod , have a monopod that ok for me .

I did hold the 2 camera's and when holding them i like the GX1 more , the space between lens and grip from the NEX 5 is a little narrow .

Can't i just build 1 camera out of these 2 models ...;-)

ntsan
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?

Zeiss 24mm F1.8 63*65.5mm $1099
Pana 20mm F1.7 63*25.5mm $349

nearly 3 times the size and price for similar focal length

aodi wrote:

Three time as large????

ntsan's gear list:ntsan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +2 more
dp88
Regular MemberPosts: 330
Like?
Size is not measured in grams (nt)

aodi wrote:

Three time as large????

FYI

Oly 17mm 22mm 71g
Sony 16mm 23mm 74g

Pana 14-45 60mm 195g
Sony 18-55 60mm 194g

Oly 45mm 46mm 116

etc etc
--
Anatoli

Bilgy_no1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,880
Like?
In reply to Jiskefet, Apr 10, 2012

Let's see what I can add; hopefully it helps...

Jiskefet wrote:

GX1 + for me

Better grip
Lens size’s smaller

I believe the GX1 also does full HD, just at different framerates. You might want to look at video controls on both cameras for differences.

Another thing to look at is what kind of lenses you might want to use down the line. The lineup for m4/3 is now quite comprehensive with good, compact and bright lenses between Panasonic and Olympus.

That said, I think a camera like these models really shines with a pancake prime. The 20mm f/1.7 is a really good and versatile choice in m4/3. There's no comparison to it in NEX, where you only have the 16mm f/2.8 pancake. The 20mm is also 1.5EV brighter, which negates the high ISO advantage of the NEX.

NEX 5N + for me

Tilting screen
Full HD video
Beter high ISO

Not sure about that price difference. Judging by your user name, I guess you're from Holland (...). Looking at fotobooms.nl, the difference for a kit is around €80. The 14-42mm pancake zoom is more expensive though. In that case it is €200, but you pay for the compact lens.

The best thing to do is to go down to a store and have a handle on both cameras. See which suits you best: ergonomics, controls, speed, and most of all: how intuitively you can use them.

Both are fantastic cameras, and can give great results. It depends a lot on how you want to use them and the lenses.

-- hide signature --
Bilgy_no1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,880
Like?
In reply to Jiskefet, Apr 10, 2012

Jiskefet wrote:

Because i will use the camera and lenses manly on my holidays i will pick out just 2 lenses , 1 wide angel zoom and 1 zoom up to 150 -200.

Really look into getting a pancake prime lens. It will allow you to bring the camera into a lot more situations without needing a camera bag. Especially on holiday, strolling through a little town at night after a nice dinner, it's so nice to have a good camera without the bulk of a camera bag...

I will not use a tripod , have a monopod that ok for me .

I did hold the 2 camera's and when holding them i like the GX1 more , the space between lens and grip from the NEX 5 is a little narrow .

I only read this after posting below, but these considerations are more important than the sensor differences. IMHO

Can't i just build 1 camera out of these 2 models ...;-)

If you can somehow fit the NEX sensor in the GX1, a lot of people will want to buy it...
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bilgy_no1

"Keep a beginner's mind"

Jiskefet
Like?
In reply to Jiskefet, Apr 11, 2012

Thx for all the input .

I will choose a Panasonic , the NEX is no longer a contender.

For me it will be the Panasonic G3 or the GX1.

Now i have to make a choise which lenses to buy with the new camera .

Is there still a blury problem with the 14-42 power zoom ?

Thx

MadsR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,235Gear list
Like?
Lenses
In reply to Jiskefet, Apr 11, 2012

Currently of these two, the GX1 (m43) is the only one with lenses to shoot through.

You might be dazzled by the fab sensor that DxO (Sony) praises so highly, however since it is only part of the image making process, you will be disapointed by the system itself.

First and most importantly, there are no lenses for the system, so if you want fully functional lenses, you are out of luck. Going with old legacy lenses only you can get by though (You can use these lenses on m43 also, but already have a large and growing selection of fully functional lenses)

Secondly the handling is worse, the camera is smaller but all the lenses are twice as large, so it will be worse in actual use.

Also, if you do choose the native lenses for NEX you will find AF much slower than the GX1 (or any modern m43 camera)

And lastly, the processing is worse in the Sony, but that can be replaced by using LR or similar raw convertion to actually get pictures from the fab sensor.

MadsR's gear list:MadsR's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads