Buy or wait for K5

Started Apr 9, 2012 | Discussions
saralecaire
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
Buy or wait for K5
Apr 9, 2012

Would it buy a K5 now or wait for the replacement this year? I was almost gonna buy one then though they might be releasing a replacement to follow the K-01. I already have a K-7 so there's no rush or anything like that.

Any thoughts?

Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Infrabasse
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?
Re: Buy or wait for K5
In reply to saralecaire, Apr 9, 2012

Are you prepared to pay $1600+ for a K-5 replacement?

Infrabasse's gear list:Infrabasse's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,965Gear list
Like?

I'm getting my K5 now. So I want you to get yours now too!

But seriously if you are enjoying using your present K7, then just keep it and wait. The main of the K5 over the K7 is the improvements are increased dynamic range, and Lowlight performance, so if you are finding these things lacking in your K7 then upgrade.

The main point is if money is an issue then the K5 is available at a very competitive price now. It's replacement will likely be around 30% more expensive for at least the first year after release.

Brent
--
Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +3 more
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,478Gear list
Like?

Every digital camera I've owned has not delivered what I need.

Therefore each improved model has been upgraded to.

The K5 has bucked that trend it delivers everything I need.

So I feel I'm in a position to upgrade on wants and have the luxury of picking my moment.

I very much doubt Pentax or anyone else can produce and APS-c camera that will tempt me.

FF cameras are still out of my league and if Pentax made one I'm sure it would be to.

So I'm sat very happy with my K5 I'll probably skip 2 maybe 3 generations.

If your K7 is close to perfect then the k5 will probably suit you as it does me.
--
My PPG
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/andrewwaldram
My Photo Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/awaldram/
1x.com
http://1x.com/artist/awaldram/wall

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
saralecaire
Like?
In reply to awaldram, Apr 9, 2012

One question about the K5.

Can it shoot bracketed sequence of 3 images with the timed delay at the same time?

For example, select bracketed shooting, then used the 2 second timer to trigger the sequence?

Cos I know on the K-r you can't which means we have to hold down the shutter which might cause blurring for longer exposures.

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,796
Like?

saralecaire wrote:

Can it shoot bracketed sequence of 3 images with the timed delay at the same time?

Yes, there is a 2 second delay option. It isn't available with the IR remote however. You'll have to hit the shutter or use a wired remote.

I really like the camera for stills, but even for the little I have tried to use it for video, and I have never done video before, I've come up against its limitations. I think GordenBGood was the one I read that posted this, the thought was that the next camera would only be about improvements in video. If video is anything you want to try, I think waiting for the next camera is probably the smart move. I do think though that the next camera won't lose 3/8 its introductory price, and this will be the last body to have be a really good deal.

My opinion about the next body will be as Gorden posted about video improvements, but I also think there will be an improvement in the CPU such that the overall performance of the camera is improved. It is just a guess on my part though, so don't hold me to it.

Thank you
Russell

Infrabasse
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?

saralecaire wrote:

For example, select bracketed shooting, then used the 2 second timer to trigger the sequence?

Cos I know on the K-r you can't which means we have to hold down the shutter which might cause blurring for longer exposures.

There is a "one push bracketing" setting allowing you to press once and forget; the camera then takes the whole sequence with your finger off the trigger.

There is indeed a delayed bracketing where there is a 2 second or so pause before each exposure. There is also remote triggered bracketing.

Infrabasse's gear list:Infrabasse's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +10 more
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,478Gear list
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Apr 9, 2012

I agree with Russell.

Video will be addressed for consumer use (AF during video).

I faster CPU and more fast cache will improve performance especially predictive AF

True SDXC will improve write speeds and cache clearance times.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,225
Like?

saralecaire wrote:

Would it buy a K5 now or wait for the replacement this year? I was almost gonna buy one then though they might be releasing a replacement to follow the K-01. I already have a K-7 so there's no rush or anything like that.

What makes you consider a replacement? If you want to use your camera for video then the K-01 beats current Pentax bodies and the K-5 replacement is likely to match the K-01.

If it's improved IQ you want I don't see any earth-shattering improvements on the way. The Sony 24MP sensor has more resolution but bigger file sizes; nothing offers DR wider than what the K-5 has.

Most of the time you wouldn't see any difference between what your K-7 produces and what a K-5 produces and I don't expect you'd notice a difference with the K-5 successor either. But consider "most of the time". The K-5's extra DR (or high-ISO) gives a clear benefit in tricky lighting.

It depends what you shoot and the sort of conditions: I reckon on something between 5 and 10% of things I can't do with my K-7 I can do with my K-5. For a lot of lighting where my K-7 can deliver the goods if I'm very careful with exposure my K-5 makes things very easy: perhaps another 10% or more of the time.

I hardly ever used TAv on my K-7 because it quickly got to being too noisy; with my K-5 I use it quite a lot.

My first DSLR was a DS when, frankly, I knew so little about digital I didn't really know what I was letting myself in for. There were things about it that frustrated me so I progressed through K10, K20 and K-7: and found frustrations with every one of them. I've been using my K-5 for 16 months and it never frustrates me: for the first time I'm not looking ahead to the new, improved model.

If you are considering an upgrade because the K-7 frustrates you I'd say that the current low price of the K-5 makes this a good time to get one. If you aren't frustrated, just stick with what you have.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

First camera 1953, first Pentax 1985, first DSLR 2006
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne

saralecaire
Like?
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Apr 9, 2012

I thought the K-5 uses the same sensor as some of the Sony DSLRs? How come the DR on the K-5 is so much better?

snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?

Hardware. The sensor isn't always everything. It's how the cam processes it.

saralecaire wrote:

I thought the K-5 uses the same sensor as some of the Sony DSLRs? How come the DR on the K-5 is so much better?

Gerry Winterbourne
Like?

saralecaire wrote:

DR is the range from brightest, which is governed by the sensor full well capacity and therefore the same whoever uses it; and noise floor. Noise is partly from the sensor itself, partly from the processing chain. It seems that Pentax engineers squeeze a bit less noise than Sony, perhaps about 1/2 stop.

Then there's the fixed mirror in the Sony SLTs. It is said to take about 1/3 or 1/2 stop of light. Put these two things together and the Sony DR would be about 1 stop less than the K-5, and that's more or less what DxOMark measures.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,227Gear list
Like?

I've got a K10D... yes 6 years old and I am waiting to see what will replace the K5 THEN make the business case to establish if the added capabilities of the K5 replacement is worth the extra $700 or not, because, this will be it for another 10 years after that !

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
saralecaire
Like?
In reply to rogerstpierre, Apr 11, 2012

After considering all the specs I thought I'd get the K-5... BUT then just happened to come across an article which mentioned some shutter slap which causes blur around 1/80. Which is bad for me cos I'm most comfortable shooting at 1/60 most of the time.

Any advice?

Should I just go for the cheaper K-01 first?

snake_b
Senior MemberPosts: 4,680
Like?
In reply to saralecaire, Apr 11, 2012

Interesting, as I shoot in that range from time to time on APS cams.

I have no idea if there's a mirror lockup mode if you're going to shoot in that range, or if live view mirror lockup is an option. I've also heard of such things in other cams.

As far as the pricing goes, I'm still waiting because in the Eurozone, prices are dropping.

saralecaire wrote:

After considering all the specs I thought I'd get the K-5... BUT then just happened to come across an article which mentioned some shutter slap which causes blur around 1/80. Which is bad for me cos I'm most comfortable shooting at 1/60 most of the time.

Any advice?

Should I just go for the cheaper K-01 first?

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,796
Like?

saralecaire wrote:

Any advice?

I think this is an individual unit issue, and I haven't seen many posts about it lately. The one person I know that had the issue on one body, exchanged it for a second and that body didn't have the issue. I think his first body had the stain issue, but I can't remember. Just verify your unit doesn't have any issues and start shooting. The camera is worth dealing with the trouble of individual issues as far as shooting with Pentax goes, IMO.

Thank you
Russell

saralecaire
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Apr 11, 2012

once I get the k-5 in, what would be the best way to test it right away for this?

Oh sorry btw it's mirror slap not shutter slap, in case that makes any difference... my bad

saralecaire
Like?

I was looking at this picture:

How come the image is sharp with the 2 second delay, what does this 2 second delay do to stop the mirror slap blur? Or should I ask, what is the physical cause behind the mirror slap blur?

Gerry Winterbourne
Like?

The 2s delay raises the mirror and then waits 2s before the shutter is released. This means that any vibrations caused by the mirror movement have 2s in which to die away. Every camera, not just the K-5, suffers some amount of vibration from the mirror: the amount can vary from model to model but also from individual unit to unit.

Pentax cameras automatically turn SR off (if it is switched on) when you set the 2s timer. This is because the timer is most often used with the camera on a tripod and SR shouldn't be used when the camera is rigidly supported.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads