Anyone used the Cyber-shot DSC-TX200V under water?

Started Apr 8, 2012 | Discussions
Macist
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
Apr 8, 2012

If so, how tough is it really, and what is the quality of the photos underwater?

ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 31,863Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone used the Cyber-shot DSC-TX200V under water?
In reply to Macist, Apr 8, 2012

Stephen has that camera, he might know
--
Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 6D +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Macist
Like?
In reply to ASR45, Apr 8, 2012

I'd love to hear about it

Some of the reports are that the waterproofing may not be up to par (for instance, on Amazon there is a note about a flimsy battery door hinge which may be prone to leak).

Also, I am curious if the GPS can be left on while the camera is off? The poor GPS implementation in my HX100V has been the biggest gripe I've had about the camera.

Otherwise, the DSC-TX200V is the only waterproof compact of passable design. I don't know what some like Pentax are thinking when they design stuff....

ASR45
Like?
In reply to Macist, Apr 9, 2012

Macist wrote:

I'd love to hear about it

Some of the reports are that the waterproofing may not be up to par (for instance, on Amazon there is a note about a flimsy battery door hinge which may be prone to leak).

Also, I am curious if the GPS can be left on while the camera is off? The poor GPS implementation in my HX100V has been the biggest gripe I've had about the camera.

Otherwise, the DSC-TX200V is the only waterproof compact of passable design. I don't know what some like Pentax are thinking when they design stuff....

I need one, but reading the waterproof tests, it seems the Panasonic omes out best

-- hide signature --

Alan.

Macist
Like?
In reply to ASR45, Apr 9, 2012

Yeah, both the Panasonic and the Nikon look to be more rugged, but both are thicker and rather uglier.

I am looking to have a compact camera to fit in my pocket when traveling, when I don't want to lug even the superzoom.

I currently have a Panasonic DMC-ZS7, which is a great camera, with perfectly functioning GPS and very decent image quality, but I'd love to be able to use something when in wet conditions, or snorkeling.

Ruggedness per se in not the highest priority, but good waterproofing and GPS tagging are a must.

That's why I would love to hear from someone who has dunked the TX200V in water, hopefully salty one.

ASR45
Like?
In reply to Macist, Apr 10, 2012

see Stephen macdonald he has just got one i believe
--
Alan.

Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,406
Like?
I Don't Have a TX200V
In reply to ASR45, Apr 12, 2012

ASR45 wrote:

see Stephen McDonald he has just got one i believe
--

I have the TX100V, which is not waterproof.
--
Steve McDonald
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22121562@N00/
http://www.vimeo.com/user458315/videos

ASR45
Like?
Re: I Don't Have a TX200V
In reply to Stephen McDonald, Apr 12, 2012

Sorry stephen, got you mixed up with someone else

Stephen McDonald wrote:

ASR45 wrote:

see Stephen McDonald he has just got one i believe
--

I have the TX100V, which is not waterproof.
--
Steve McDonald
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22121562@N00/
http://www.vimeo.com/user458315/videos

-- hide signature --

Alan.

Macist
Like?
In reply to ASR45, Apr 13, 2012

The TX200 is one rare camera, it seems

ASR45
Like?
In reply to Macist, Apr 13, 2012

Yes my mistake i was thinking of the WS one

Macist wrote:

The TX200 is one rare camera, it seems

-- hide signature --

Alan.

Joe Grass
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
I have one, here are photos!
In reply to ASR45, Apr 16, 2012

I have a TX200V, and just returned from using it snorkeling in Maui.

It performed flawlessly on multiple immersions in ocean water, I've attached some photos. Not the most amazing photography (I forgot to turn on the flash, and it was a bit murky). But my boys were thrilled!

One note, I also took along a TX10, supposedly waterproof also, but water seeped into the battery/flash card compartment, shorting out/corroding one of the battery contacts inside the camera, and doing who knows what other damage. I'm not optimistic Sony will do anything about this.

The TX200 compartment compared to the TX10 seems better designed - one compartment instead of 2, and the seal looks more substantial.

This camera is awesome!

-Joe

ASR45
Like?
Re: I have one, here are photos!
In reply to Joe Grass, Apr 17, 2012

Thats a colorful fish
--
Alan.

MC16
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Just received mine in the mail
In reply to ASR45, Apr 18, 2012

Hey everyone! I've been following this and a few other threads while waiting for my tx200v to ship. It arrived today as I was heading out to work.

First impressions:
-Light compared to older cybershots I've owned (tx7 and t100)

-The side feels like smooth plastic. Could be a con to some people, but I like it

-Zoom rocker is a bit stiff - will probably loosen over time

-Battery door seems solid itself, but the two tabs that hold it close seem too thin

-I always have a screen protector on all of my cameras/phones - this will be my first camera to not have one (going underwater with a screen protector would most likely ruin the adhesive.) I am a bit worried about scratching the screen putting it in and out of my pocket

-Interface is similar to the tx10, although I don't think the tx10 has the creative shooting mode

-While the glass front is a fingerprint magnet, I'm avoid touching the lens area naturally, so that part of the front stays clean (which is all that matters)

I don't have any pools near me that are open yet. All I have is my bathtub and sink, so I can't test underwater shooting until next Wednesday (hopefully). I plan to do a full video review over the weekend, but for now I can take sample photos or look at certain functions/settings if requested.

Macist
Like?
In reply to Joe Grass, Apr 29, 2012

Thanks, Joe.

It looks like a fun trip.

So, it doesn't sound like the camera would leak on the second dunking, as some on Amazon imply?

I think I'll order one

urmurbile
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to Joe Grass, Jun 4, 2012

Hey Joe,

Thanks for posting your account with the TX200V. I'm wondering if you can confirm whether or not the touch screen controls work underwater. If not, what do you need to do to use them after surfacing (ie. can you just shake it off or do you need to dry with a towel first)?

Thanks!

ASR45
Like?
In reply to Macist, Jun 5, 2012

I might try buying >
--
Alan.

urmurbile
Like?
In reply to urmurbile, Jun 19, 2012

I ended up buying the TX200V, and just wanted to post for anyone that finds this forum that the touch screen does NOT work under water due to being a capacitive touch screen, though the camera does have the ability to take photos while shooting video.

darrenberk
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to Macist, Jun 22, 2012

I think it's pretty tough. Haven't seen the quality of the photos and videos underwater but it's got very similar specs as the TX20 so maybe you could say the results will also be similar. If you're interested, there are some sample shots posted at

http://www.squidoo.com/sony-tx200v

patrick mansfield
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?
A brief review
In reply to ASR45, Jul 4, 2012

ASR45 wrote:

I might try buying >
--
Alan.

I have the camera.

It takes great pictures and video ... but:

In addition (as noted by the person that dropped the camera from knee height and broke it) to not being shockproof, the front screen is easily scratched. That combined with wanting to use it near sand (i.e. in the ocean) is unfortunate. I've got several scratches on the front of the camera, fortunately none across the lense area itself.

The battery life is rather short, the battery is listed as having only 630mAh (a typical AA battery has about 2000mAh).

I bought it with 2 batteries, but not the charger - you really need the external charger if you have two batteries - otherwise you must charge the batteries using the camera.

The controls are non-intuitive.

The sensor is too dense given the optical quality (the megapixel count is too high), you can shoot at about 50% size with no visible reduction in image quality.

The microSDHC is difficult to handle, and like the battery, can be inserted upside down.

There are some unfortunate quirks too - AFAICT, you cannot disable the touchscreen "start recording a video" icon, you will take videos of your pocket, and someday you'll have an unfortunate waiter record video of you rather than take a picture

It does appear to allow continuous recording of a GPS track, but you have to disable the power save (leave the monitor on). I'm about to try this out, given the short battery life ... well I'll just have to see.

The "expanded features of Playmemories" software has recently become available, but I still can't use it to import GPS tracks, nor to upload GPS assist data.

You can copy all files (images, GPS tracks, and movies) from the camera using a card reader. Movies are in the PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM folder, with a suffix of "MTS". GPS track logs are under PRIVATE/SONY/GPS, with a suffix of "LOG".

-- hide signature --

Patrick Mansfield

trstvk
Like?
In reply to Macist, Jul 26, 2012

I must say that I use google translator. so, I bought a camera Cyber-shot DSC-TX200V in late April for a trip to the Maldives. Plunged to her four times, and it is exposed to water. I think that this is not sea water, and water condensation. The camera is charged in an open state in the bungalow, and when her endure the outside, where 30 C, the formation of condensation inside the battery box. This is my version, because it did everything according to the rules (in the package was a statement in my native language). In a repair shop Sony said that it is not a warranty case. Fortunately the road insurance in my country compensates for such losses.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads