Drunk driving causing death

Started Apr 8, 2012 | Discussions
Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
Drunk driving causing death
Apr 8, 2012

What justice would you put on a drunk driver involved and causing the death of other people?

KEVZPHOTOS
Forum ProPosts: 17,197
Like?
Re: Drunk driving causing death
In reply to Ubilam, Apr 8, 2012

Ubilam wrote:

What justice would you put on a drunk driver involved and causing the death of other people?

I asked my wife Krissoula this question as I read it.

WE both agreed.

A minumum of 10 years in the slammer...plus, never being allowed to drive ever again.

KEV

"It is a small gesture, but one that can be very effective - especially in a large crowd. So fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Benjamin Franklin 'The Dream' 1751)

http://kvincentphotography.ca/stackedimages
http://kvincentphotography.ca/designerflorals
http://kvincentphotography.ca/macro

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
In reply to KEVZPHOTOS, Apr 8, 2012

I think you and your wife are being too lenient. 25 years - no parole for each death I'd adjudicate.

Thanks.

KEVZPHOTOS wrote:

Ubilam wrote:

I asked my wife Krissoula this question as I read it.

WE both agreed.

A minumum of 10 years in the slammer...plus, never being allowed to drive ever again.

KEV

"It is a small gesture, but one that can be very effective - especially in a large crowd. So fart, and if you must, fart often. But always fart without apology. Fart for freedom, fart for liberty, and fart proudly" (Benjamin Franklin 'The Dream' 1751)

bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 13,459Gear list
Like?

Traffic law for vehicular deaths is very lenient. Drunk or not. I don't agree with this at all, since many people who kill while driving are let off way too easy.

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:
Visible, Predictable, Alert, Assertive and Courteous

They also use the five layers of protection available.
Layer 1: Control your bike (Don't fall or collide with others)
Layer 2: Follow the rules (Don't be the cause of traffic crashes)
Layer 3: Use Lane position (Discourage other drivers mistakes)
Layer 4: Hazard Avoidance (Avoid other drivers mistakes and road hazards)
Layer 5: Utilize passive protection (Use protection when all else fails)

Chris, Broussard, LA

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
Alekko
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,687Gear list
Like?

If someone’s driving while intoxicated (drunk of drugs) and kills someone, to me it’s the same as if he/her killed someone with the gun/knife.

Driving drunk is a weapon, no different to other weapons.

Put him/her in the jail and forget where’s the key of the cell.

Alekko's gear list:Alekko's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +1 more
95_9C1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,429
Like?
In reply to Alekko, Apr 8, 2012

a public stoning ...

... to death

KEVZPHOTOS
Forum ProPosts: 17,197
Like?

Ubilam wrote:

I think you and your wife are being too lenient. 25 years - no parole for each death I'd adjudicate.

Here is Canada life in prison is essentually 25 years for pre-meditated murder.

Whilst killing someone when driving drunk is both wreckless and totally irresponsible...it's isn't actually murder at all (but manslaughter) and it's not pre meditated either.

So hence our 10 year sentence suggestion.

KEV

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 32,163
Like?

This happens all the time and the punishment is met out by a court and judges in line with the laws of the country concerned and the fixed penalties allowed.
What is the point of asking a bunch of camera heads this question?
Jules

Ubilam wrote:

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter

carl english
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,761Gear list
Like?
In reply to JulesJ, Apr 8, 2012

JulesJ wrote:

Jules

Some Camera heads may be Judges/Lawyers/Solicitors etc. There is no doubt that many driving offences in UK are dealt with far to leniently, very often those who are banned from driving did not hold a licence anyway so why should they care.

carl english's gear list:carl english's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
Mentor_1
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,773Gear list
Like?

Manslaughter with minimum 10 years jail term and a lifetime driving ban plus forfeiture of assets to help compensate victims family.
--
May the light be with you
Stop global whining
Stupid should hurt

Gear: My Lab Lara, cameras, lens, tripod, monopod, cars, MH, motorcycles (yah bought another), helmet, yacht, etc. too much stuff.

Bill Randall
Forum ProPosts: 14,171Gear list
Like?
Multiple DUI Convictions .....

Often the news reports someone arrested for DUI. It seems more and more it is not their first DUI arrest. The most arrests for DUI that I have read about is for a total of 13. To me, this illustrates poor legislators, judges and voters.

Bill Randall's gear list:Bill Randall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom Nikon D200 Nikon D5200
bikinchris
Forum ProPosts: 13,459Gear list
Like?
Re: Multiple DUI Convictions .....
In reply to Bill Randall, Apr 9, 2012

There was a famous case of a guy with 40 DUI arrests who had been driving without license for years who ran over a family crossing the street somewhere in New York (I think).

Bill Randall wrote:

Often the news reports someone arrested for DUI. It seems more and more it is not their first DUI arrest. The most arrests for DUI that I have read about is for a total of 13. To me, this illustrates poor legislators, judges and voters.

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:

Chris, Broussard, LA

bikinchris's gear list:bikinchris's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR +1 more
Bill Randall
Like?
Re: Multiple DUI Convictions .....
In reply to bikinchris, Apr 9, 2012

40 DUI arrests! No excuse for this what-so-ever.
Disgusting.

bikinchris wrote:

There was a famous case of a guy with 40 DUI arrests who had been driving without license for years who ran over a family crossing the street somewhere in New York (I think).

Bill Randall wrote:

-- hide signature --

Good cyclists are:

Chris, Broussard, LA

-- hide signature --

WSSA Member #281 on 04-23-09

JulesJ
Like?
In reply to Mentor_1, Apr 9, 2012

Mentor_1 wrote:

Manslaughter with minimum 10 years jail term and a lifetime driving ban plus forfeiture of assets to help compensate victims family.

There's the easy right wing solution. Why not add in a good beating too Mental?

-- hide signature --

Stop global whining
Stupid should hurt

Gear: My Lab Lara, cameras, lens, tripod, monopod, cars, MH, motorcycles (yah bought another), helmet, yacht, etc. too much stuff.

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter

JulesJ
Like?
In reply to carl english, Apr 9, 2012

carl english wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

Jules

Some Camera heads may be Judges/Lawyers/Solicitors etc. There is no doubt that many driving offences in UK are dealt with far to leniently, very often those who are banned from driving did not hold a licence anyway so why should they care.

This is true, nor insurance. These people seem difficult to deal with.
--
Julesarnia on twitter

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,608Gear list
Like?
I was agreeng with you Chris, then you said something...
In reply to bikinchris, Apr 9, 2012

…with an implication I totally disagree with.

You said "drunk or not" -- the usual implication is that being drunk somehow lessens the responsibility of the person. As far as I am concerned, if someone gets themselves drunk they have taken the decision to make themselves dangerous and they must bear full responsibility for that decision .

Drunk Driver has an "accident". In fact, it is less of an accident than Sober Driver, because Drunk Driver has chosen to take a drug that makes him/her less capable as a driver and therefore more likely to have an "accident".

To my mind, there's an element of premeditation in Drunk Driver's decision to get drunk.

bikinchris wrote:

Traffic law for vehicular deaths is very lenient. Drunk or not. I don't agree with this at all, since many people who kill while driving are let off way too easy.

The exact number of years? I don’t know. But I am very interested in the notion that driving should not be regarded as a right, but rather as a privilege.

I have a strong feeling that we should be bringing in heavy punishments a long time before someone kills someone in a road incident. Rip their licenses off them for life for seriously reckless driving, impound and sell their cars.

And driving without a license? Serious jail time.

No warnings.

Regarding fines and stuff -- the Finns, I believe, have things worked out a lot better than we do in Australia. They have a graduated scale adjusted to the vehicle. You drive a luxury car and break the law? You have to pay a luxury level fine!

I like that!

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Bill Randall
Like?
Re: I was agreeng with you Chris, then you said something...
In reply to Hen3ry, Apr 9, 2012

Hen3ry wrote:

…with an implication I totally disagree with.

You said "drunk or not" -- the usual implication is that being drunk somehow lessens the responsibility of the person. As far as I am concerned, if someone gets themselves drunk they have taken the decision to make themselves dangerous and they must bear full responsibility for that decision .

Agreed.

Drunk Driver has an "accident". In fact, it is less of an accident than Sober Driver, because Drunk Driver has chosen to take a drug that makes him/her less capable as a driver and therefore more likely to have an "accident".

To my mind, there's an element of premeditation in Drunk Driver's decision to get drunk.

Agreed.

bikinchris wrote:

The exact number of years? I don’t know. But I am very interested in the notion that driving should not be regarded as a right, but rather as a privilege.

If it was a right you would not need a drivers license and have to take a test. It is a privilege. Each adult has a right to apply for a drivers license.

I have a strong feeling that we should be bringing in heavy punishments a long time before someone kills someone in a road incident. Rip their licenses off them for life for seriously reckless driving, impound and sell their cars.

And driving without a license? Serious jail time.

Agreed.

No warnings.

Regarding fines and stuff -- the Finns, I believe, have things worked out a lot better than we do in Australia. They have a graduated scale adjusted to the vehicle. You drive a luxury car and break the law? You have to pay a luxury level fine!

I think it is a fair law. I wish we had it.

I like that!

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

-- hide signature --

WSSA Member #281 on 04-23-09

Bill Randall
Like?
In reply to JulesJ, Apr 9, 2012

JulesJ wrote:

Mentor_1 wrote:

What if Mentor's suggestion was implemented? What do you think the impact would be: More or less violations?

It seems to me your remark indicates part of the problem. Current penalties (in the USA) are not getting the message across to potential violators. It seems to me this is not rocket science - the penalty needs to be more severe. Perhaps not as severe as Mentor stated, but more severe than they currently are.

Mentor_1
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,773Gear list
Like?
In reply to JulesJ, Apr 9, 2012

JulesJ wrote:

Mentor_1 wrote:

I'll be in your country noon Wed Jules, shall I bring you a good old fashioned Canadian drubbing, are you up to it, just a sampler for you and your pigeons. Perhaps it is you the Luton Muslims are protesting.

-- hide signature --

Stop global whining
Stupid should hurt

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter

-- hide signature --

Stop global whining
Stupid should hurt

gail
Forum ProPosts: 13,367Gear list
Like?
Lock 'em up, throw away the key
In reply to Ubilam, Apr 10, 2012

If you had a loved one killed instantly by a habitually reckless driver who had been drinking* (but fled the scene, as did others in his car, so no blood tests could be taken in a timely manner), some of you would have a much different view. The individual who killed someone dear to us got a 25 year sentence but only served 18 months. About a decade later, he killed another woman in a reckless boating crash where, we were told, drinking was involved.

These folks should be locked up and the key thrown away. Dump the gain time and other pathetic legal leniencies.

btw, members of MADD (Mothers Against Driving Drunk) know these situations are not "accidents." They are crashes. Hopefully you will respect the pain these surviving family members suffer and use the correct term, and ask your local media to do the same.

( * ) testimony of the bartender who served him in the bar
--
My S100 Galleries ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb/canon_s100
My Canon S100 Blog: http://www.digicamhelp.com/topics/camera-logs/canon-s100/

gail's gear list:gail's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS M
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads