A100- Such A Pleasure

Started Apr 8, 2012 | Discussions
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,278Gear list
Like?
A100- Such A Pleasure
Apr 8, 2012

6 years after I bought my A100, it still brings me quite a lot of pleasure not only with it's image quality- but with how it operates, meters, and focuses.

In the middle of doing a lens review currently, I had to use the A100 as my backup to complete the review because the A580 and lens I'm using simply do not want to communicate well (backfocusing). I've not had that issue on my A580 before (guess I've been lucky), and I'm glad I have the A100 around to complete the review with.

Glad I'm "forced" to use the A100 with this lens, the little A100 doesn't get used that much anymore but I still keep the engine fired up enough to justify it's existence around the house.

Something about that CCD though, when reviewing images that really continues to shine. There's a contrast and overall pleasant sharpness to the images that does stand out from other Alpha DSLRS I've used over the years.

The handling is just icing on the cake, it's nearly perfect.

Carl

http://photographic-central.blogspot.com/

Ironic Misquote: "Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude; nothing can help the man with wrong one."
-Thomas Jefferson

Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,036Gear list
Like?
Re: A100- Such A Pleasure
In reply to cgarrard, Apr 8, 2012

Yes Carl, there is something special about the CCD sensor, I have noticed that too. It seems to be perfect for 'good light' landscape photography. The colors appear very natural.

-- hide signature --

Sony SLT-A77 / Rokinon 8mm / Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6 / Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3 / Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS / Minolta 70-210 f4.0 / Minolta 50 f1.7 / Kenko MC4 AF 1.4 / Sony HVL- F56AM flash Karl Scharf

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
k-aus
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
In reply to Karl Scharf, Apr 8, 2012

yes i still have mine X2 of it. keeping them in the humidifying cabinet.
--
k-aus
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78539872@N00/

k-aus's gear list:k-aus's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 +8 more
g wild
Regular MemberPosts: 145
Like?
In reply to k-aus, Apr 8, 2012

Count me in as another fan of the A100. While I use my A55 most now the 100 still produces good images---better than a lot of my Nican friends get with much more expensive gear.

JusLookN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,985Gear list
Like?
In reply to g wild, Apr 8, 2012

Still got mine also!
--
Glenn

I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

JusLookN's gear list:JusLookN's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 +1 more
yakky
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?

The A100 has a certain magic about it. Much like the D40, just a camera that won't die.

yakky's gear list:yakky's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8
digititus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,206
Like?
Reminds me of my Miinolta 5d.....
In reply to yakky, Apr 8, 2012

..it just had colors and contrast that my A65 can't duplicate! Oh, and neither could my A200 or A700!

ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,809Gear list
Like?
In reply to JusLookN, Apr 8, 2012

The A100 was essentially the last of the Minoltas with the first of Sony's great APS-C sensors. Using Rokkors on my NEX-5 and especially my NEX-7 invokes a very similar feeling....

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,064Gear list
Like?
Question about CCD colors

Could describe the different colors given by CCDs, perhaps with comparison pictures? I've only had one CCD camera before, but that was a really old Canon G1 with a CYMG filter pattern (instead of the standard bayer GRGB). The colors seem better out of my a580.

Also, how hard is it to process a CMOS raw file to get the CCD colors?

Something about that CCD though, when reviewing images that really continues to shine. There's a contrast and overall pleasant sharpness to the images that does stand out from other Alpha DSLRS I've used over the years.

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
mike_2008
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,635Gear list
Like?

Welcome to the Luddite thread, enjoy!
--
There are none so blind as those who will not see

mike_2008's gear list:mike_2008's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Ralf B
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,134Gear list
Like?
May I gently disagree?
In reply to ProfHankD, Apr 8, 2012

ProfHankD wrote:

The A100 was essentially the last of the Minoltas with the first of Sony's great APS-C sensors. Using Rokkors on my NEX-5 and especially my NEX-7 invokes a very similar feeling....

While I can see where you are coming from, in my irrelevant opinion the a900 was the last Minolta DSLR. All the great colors, a user interface as good as it gets and a stills photography workhorse down to its bones.

Cheers,
Ralf

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +12 more
dennismullen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,681
Like?
Re: May I gently disagree?
In reply to Ralf B, Apr 8, 2012

But everyone keeps saying the A77 is way better than the A900!

Cheers,
--

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.
You can see larger versions of my pictures at http://www.dennismullen.com .

Ralf B
Like?

Should I find a used a100 in good shape at a good price, i might just add it to my luddite gear collection (Dynax 9, KM5D, a700, a900 OVF die hard stuff plus the a55 1st gen EVF with no real WYSIWYG to speak of) out of curiosity on its IQ specifics at low ISOs.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +12 more
Ralf B
Like?
Re: May I gently disagree?
In reply to dennismullen, Apr 8, 2012

Don't say everyone....

mike_2008
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,635Gear list
Like?

Ralf Bliesener wrote:

Should I find a used a100 in good shape at a good price, i might just add it to my luddite gear collection (Dynax 9, KM5D, a700, a900 OVF die hard stuff plus the a55 1st gen EVF with no real WYSIWYG to speak of) out of curiosity on its IQ specifics at low ISOs.

Nearly ready to open a museum.
--
There are none so blind as those who will not see

mike_2008's gear list:mike_2008's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Ralf B
Like?
In reply to mike_2008, Apr 8, 2012

mike_2008 wrote:

Ralf Bliesener wrote:

Nearly ready to open a museum.

With the Dynax 9 being the prominent exception, it is quite an active 'museum', with the KM5D in the hands of my nieces and the a700, a900 and a55 in active use as photography tools - each with its own pro's and con's.

dennismullen
Like?

But they don't have Auto Portrait Mode!

Cheers,
--

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin.

Ralf B
Like?
@ Dennis

Portrait mode - some, if not all of my collector's items do have it - but I never used it so far. Time to reconsider my approach, maybe. Or maybe, not.

dennismullen
Like?
Re: @ Dennis

New on the A57...

"Simply photograph a person and Auto Portrait Framing will save an additional, optimally framed image in portrait or landscape orientation. Combining Face Detection and By Pixel Super Resolution technologies with rule of thirds, Auto Portrait Framing provides beautifully composed and appealingly balanced full resolution portraits. "
--

Ralf B
Like?
Wow!

dennismullen wrote:

New on the A57...

"Simply photograph a person and Auto Portrait Framing will save an additional, optimally framed image in portrait or landscape orientation. Combining Face Detection and By Pixel Super Resolution technologies with rule of thirds, Auto Portrait Framing provides beautifully composed and appealingly balanced full resolution portraits. "

Wow? Does the a77 have this, too? Or not, rendering it almost a collectible item? If the latter is the case, another Sony firmware update (up-grade) seems to be of urgence.

What cam did Ben use - and which auto modes of the respective cam made him come to the above quoted conclusion?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads