The lens I would love? An Oly f3.5 or f4 9mm or 10mm pancake

Started Apr 8, 2012 | Discussions
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 7,846Gear list
Like?
The lens I would love? An Oly f3.5 or f4 9mm or 10mm pancake
Apr 8, 2012

I need that width for professional reasons and simply because I love it, but I don’t need it all the time.

As it is, I've had to buy the 9-18 zoom -- just to get a 9mm focal length. I certainly don’t use it much at other than 9mm. My "standard" lens is the Panny f2.5 14mm, so the 9mm or 10mm would come in nicely under that.

Oh, and further, I would like Oly to think seriously about getting some filter and hood standardization into its lens line-up. Back in the day, Oly was brilliant at this. Now it seems to be all over the shop.

So make that f3.5 9mm pancake with a 46mm filter thread and the bayonet lens hood. The f2 12mm already takes the 46mm filter, the Panny 14 takes the 46mm filter, and the Oly 45 should take the 46mm. Bigger lenses shojdl standardize on 52mm -- like the 40-150 which has a totally unnecessary flare at the end of the lens to take a 58mm filter.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,248Gear list
Like?
Re: The lens I would love? An Oly f3.5 or f4 9mm or 10mm pancake
In reply to Hen3ry, Apr 8, 2012

This might be stupid, but I'm wondering how well something like the Samyang 7.5 mm f/3.5 would perform when you "correct" it to become rectilinear? I imagine that's going to be close to 9 mm angle of view?

Hen3ry wrote:

Oh, and further, I would like Oly to think seriously about getting some filter and hood standardization into its lens line-up. Back in the day, Oly was brilliant at this. Now it seems to be all over the shop.

Aye, that would be nice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 7,846Gear list
Like?
In reply to Macx, Apr 8, 2012

Hi Mac

it would be pretty lose to the 9mm, I suppose -- but I don’t want to be relying on correcting such a lens in PP. I’m not that good t it…

But I'm sure you;ll agree -- the 9-10mm focal length is a hole in the range.

back in the day, with my 2 x OM1 bodies, I had the 21mm, 28mm, 85mm, and 200mm a my outfit (the 50mm standard stayed in the cupboard; I used the f2 28mm, a true jewel of a lens, as my standard). That little 21mm was brilliant. Today, though, I would lke to go a little wider.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Optical1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,005Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hen3ry, Apr 10, 2012

Hen3ry wrote:

Hi Mac

it would be pretty lose to the 9mm, I suppose -- but I don’t want to be relying on correcting such a lens in PP. I’m not that good t it…

But I'm sure you;ll agree -- the 9-10mm focal length is a hole in the range.

back in the day, with my 2 x OM1 bodies, I had the 21mm, 28mm, 85mm, and 200mm a my outfit (the 50mm standard stayed in the cupboard; I used the f2 28mm, a true jewel of a lens, as my standard). That little 21mm was brilliant. Today, though, I would lke to go a little wider.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard

I'd like it if they took it one step further and fab'd a 7mm prime. But hell, I'd buy a 7mm F4 prime, and a 9mm fast prime any day of the week!

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 +17 more
mfj197
Contributing MemberPosts: 525
Like?
In reply to Macx, Apr 10, 2012

When the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye is defished to rectilinear it corresponds to a 5.4mm field of view, as detailed in kenw's post below (kenw has produced some lightroom lens profiles to do exactly that):
http://forums.dpreview.com/...forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=40693543

It is an interesting way to get an ultrawide though.

Michael

Macx wrote:

This might be stupid, but I'm wondering how well something like the Samyang 7.5 mm f/3.5 would perform when you "correct" it to become rectilinear? I imagine that's going to be close to 9 mm angle of view?

Hen3ry wrote:

Aye, that would be nice.

tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 2,746Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hen3ry, Apr 10, 2012

If you don't need to use filters and hood at the same time, adapters are extremely cheap.

M4/3 is very bad with filters in any case as the reflective sensor detests a flat surface in the optical chain. I found this out through costly errors. When I read "protective UV filter" in the context of M3/4 I wince...

Hen3ry wrote:

I need that width for professional reasons and simply because I love it, but I don’t need it all the time.

As it is, I've had to buy the 9-18 zoom -- just to get a 9mm focal length. I certainly don’t use it much at other than 9mm. My "standard" lens is the Panny f2.5 14mm, so the 9mm or 10mm would come in nicely under that.

So make that f3.5 9mm pancake with a 46mm filter thread and the bayonet lens hood. The f2 12mm already takes the 46mm filter, the Panny 14 takes the 46mm filter, and the Oly 45 should take the 46mm. Bigger lenses shojdl standardize on 52mm -- like the 40-150 which has a totally unnecessary flare at the end of the lens to take a 58mm filter.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads