Quantum flash as replacement for speedlights?

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions
Telefoto
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
Quantum flash as replacement for speedlights?
Apr 7, 2012

I've run hard into the SB 900 overheating problem. Use flash for macro (on bracket), wildlife (on bracket), and people/action (on camera). The SB 900 can't do the job I need, over heats within an hour or 2 of what I think of as modest use (couple hundred images, not the thousands I see wedding shooters taking in a day). I like to shoot fast, as action is my main interest, but not long bursts, lots of small bursts, and the SB 900 just can't do it.

Been reading up on quantum flash like the trio. Loving the claims of never overheating, higher power, better quality more even light, lighter unit (battery not inside), etc. But, lots of money at stake, and I can't quite get a fix on how well these units integrate with standard Nikon flash tech like the SC-28 and SC-17 flash cords, full nikon TTL functionality, etc. If I buy these units, will they slide right into my existing set up easily, or will there be a lot of things they can't do without manual control, and will there be a steep learning curve? Any comments welcome.

Telefoto's gear list:Telefoto's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +6 more
UKphotographers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,904
Like?
Re: Quantum flash as replacement for speedlights?
In reply to Telefoto, Apr 7, 2012

Telefoto wrote:

Been reading up on quantum flash like the trio. Loving the claims of never overheating,

Nope.

higher power,

yes, but not as efficient reflector, same GN probably, but that provides the answer to your next Q.

better quality more even light,

yes,

lighter unit (battery not inside),

yes, but needs an external battery

etc.

yes.

But, lots of money at stake, and I can't quite get a fix on how well these units integrate with standard Nikon flash tech like the SC-28 and SC-17 flash cords,

works with them and thre SC-29 I use.

full nikon TTL functionality, etc.

I've never had a problem with this..

If I buy these units, will they slide right into my existing set up easily,

should do.. but they won't 'do' CLS if using a Trio, but a T5d-R or X5d-R will with a Qnexus.

or will there be a lot of things they can't do without manual control, and will there be a steep learning curve?

Plug and play, pretty much.

-- hide signature --

Ian.

http://www.commercialphotographer.co.uk

Theres only one sun. Why do I need more than one light to get a natural result?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
UKphotographers
Like?
In reply to UKphotographers, Apr 7, 2012

They don't overheat. btw.

-- hide signature --

Ian.

Telefoto
Like?
In reply to UKphotographers, Apr 8, 2012

UKphotographers wrote:

Telefoto wrote:

If I buy these units, will they slide right into my existing set up easily,

should do.. but they won't 'do' CLS if using a Trio, but a T5d-R or X5d-R will with a Qnexus.

Can you expand on that a bit? I'm interested in on camera and "near off camera/on bracket" flash in the field (as opposed to studio flash sitting on flash stands, etc), which seems to point to the trio rather than those others (hard to tell from quantum's site, they don't do the best job in the world marketing their stuff, but that's the gist I gather from their videos, the 5ds are more specialized for stand work though they can be used on camera in a pinch?). So, what aspects of CLS won't they do?

Thanks for all the other helpful feedback.

Nikon D3X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +6 more
UKphotographers
Like?
In reply to Telefoto, Apr 8, 2012

The Nikon 'CLS' uses IR to signal off camera flash. The Trio can't receive this so won't act as a remote.

The 5D's can have an accessory called a Qnexus fitted which receives the Nikon (or Canon) IR signals and makes the flash operate as a remote Nikon or Canon device.

The Trio will work using your SC- extension cables as it has a hotshoe to fit them. The 5D's won't, as they don't have a hotshoe at all. What they do have is a hotshoe adapter (D-adapter) which fits between your camera and the flash (like the SC- cable) which has a TTL compensation device fitted so that you can add or reduce TTL compensation on the camera hotshoe (D-adapter) rather than doing it on the flash unit itself.

For Nikon you need the D22w-R D-adapter if using the T5's or X5's.. http://www.qtm.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=162&Itemid=285

You can use any of the Quantums as an 'on-camera' or 'on-bracket' flash, but only the Trio can be used actually fitted in the hotshoe.

-- hide signature --

Ian.

Telefoto
Like?
In reply to Telefoto, Apr 11, 2012

Anyone else with any input on this?

Quantum Help
Senior MemberPosts: 1,666Gear list
Like?
In reply to Telefoto, Apr 11, 2012

Using a Quantum Trio (QF08N) either in the hot shoe of the camera, or on a bracket using the Nikon SC-17, SC-28 or the SC-29 is a very doable thing

The Trio works in QTTL, Auto-Fill and manual modes. It gets the information for TTL directly from the camera. It gets the ISO and f/stop from the camera when using AUto-Fill Mode (Nikon's AA mode). It can do FP high speed sync in TTL and Manual modes.

It has the same power output as the SB900. It does not overheat or shut down on you. It has a much better quality of light because of the parabolic reflector. Also a full line of other reflectors and soft boxes as well as support from major soft box manufacturers.

You can shoot it in bursts, short or long, depending on how you have the unit set up.

Just a quick example -- IS0 400, f/5.6, subject distance 7.5 feet, normal reflector -- you should be able to get a burst of around 30 shots. Something like this can be refined to make the camera work faster. Set the camera to manual mode, set the shutter speed, set the f/stop, set the camera to manual focus and set the Trio to manual mode 1/32 power. Since the camera is is manual focus and the flash is in manual mode also, the camera does not lose any time due to auto-focus or pre-flash.

Quantum Help's gear list:Quantum Help's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
MBoatner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,339
Like?
In reply to Telefoto, Jul 10, 2012

Purchased the Co-Pilot - so now using the Trio, have a two light setup.

Owned Trio since it first came out - still on original bulb (I do have a spare)
Turbo 2x2 battery - you can shoot for a long time.

X5d-R - 400 watt setup - nice and easy portable - also can change out a module and have plug in power. One huge umbrella - single light setup for the private school / pet rescue fundraisers.

-- hide signature --

Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads