What size SD card do you use?

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions
vanfred
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
What size SD card do you use?
Apr 7, 2012

I don't mean about 30mm by 22mm

Just wondering what capacity SD card most people have in their camera now.

16 and 32GB SD class 10 cards are now quite cheap but in the past I was happy enough with 4GB.

Gravi
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188Gear list
Like?
Re: What size SD card do you use?
In reply to vanfred, Apr 7, 2012

2x 16GB, one class 6 (GF1) one class 10 (G3). Both are more than fast enough. But with shooting stills RAW + JPG and video I still manage to fill the cards when travelling. So I always have a netbook with me when I travel to empty the cards!

vanfred wrote:

16 and 32GB SD class 10 cards are now quite cheap but in the past I was happy enough with 4GB.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

Gravi's gear list:Gravi's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ayt
ayt
Contributing MemberPosts: 698Gear list
Like?
usually 8 ~ 16GB

but recently got a 64GB SDXC.

ayt's gear list:ayt's gear list
Sigma DP2 Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 +37 more
vanfred
Like?
In reply to Gravi, Apr 7, 2012

Gravi wrote:

2x 16GB, one class 6 (GF1) one class 10 (G3). Both are more than fast enough. But with shooting stills RAW + JPG and video I still manage to fill the cards when travelling. So I always have a netbook with me when I travel to empty the cards!

vanfred wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gravi

It was the thought of traveling that stimulated the thought. Normally I download to a netbook, but this time I want to travel lighter, so I am thinking of multiple

vanfred
Like?
Re: usually 8 ~ 16GB
In reply to ayt, Apr 7, 2012

ayt wrote:

I would be interested to know which camera you use. Does the 64GB work well?

neillmac
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?

I think the prevailing opinion is don't put all your eggs in one basket ie. use several smaller cards if you are going for a large shoot, so if one fails, gets lost etc you'll still have shots on the others.

However, I laugh in the face of popular opinion and use 32GB cards and will get a 64GB when I (ever?) receive my EM-5, as I believe bigger is always better, but then I'm probably just over compensating for something.

They are getting cheaper all the time and reliability is very good; picked up a class 10 32GB on Amazon for under £20 couple of weeks back.

vanfred
Like?
In reply to neillmac, Apr 7, 2012

neillmac wrote:

I think the prevailing opinion is don't put all your eggs in one basket ie. use several smaller cards if you are going for a large shoot, so if one fails, gets lost etc you'll still have shots on the others.

However, I laugh in the face of popular opinion and use 32GB cards and will get a 64GB when I (ever?) receive my EM-5, as I believe bigger is always better, but then I'm probably just over compensating for something.

They are getting cheaper all the time and reliability is very good; picked up a class 10 32GB on Amazon for under £20 couple of weeks back.

Yes Amazon are selling a 16gb class 10 card, with very good reviews for £8 and a 32GB class 10 for £20. It hardly seems worth buying anything smaller

ayt
ayt
Contributing MemberPosts: 698Gear list
Like?

vanfred wrote:

ayt wrote:

I would be interested to know which camera you use. Does the 64GB work well?

I got it for my E-M5 two days ago. haven't used it yet though, other than to confirm that it works and I can shoot 3500 raw images or 6.5 hours of 1080p fine video before the card gets full.

ayt's gear list:ayt's gear list
Sigma DP2 Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 +37 more
neillmac
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
In reply to ayt, Apr 7, 2012

"I can shoot 3500 raw images or 6.5 hours of 1080p fine video before the card gets full."

That will do

And gz on getting your EM-5!

Banger
Contributing MemberPosts: 575Gear list
Like?

I shoot SF jpeg + raw and use a 32GB class 10 card in the E-P3, and may use it for HD video as well,.......so plenty of storage is desirable, and it's cheap these days !

In the E30 I use 4GB CF and always carry 2 spares, but the E30 doesn't have video capability.

Rgds, Rob

Banger's gear list:Banger's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus E-M1
Yaroha
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?

I go for speed first, just got me 16gb UHS-1 card 95mb read 90mb write, but 64gb was very tempting, I figured I can get the second card later.

RickPick
Contributing MemberPosts: 777Gear list
Like?
2 x 16Gb Transcend Class 10

DP Review asked me to enter "a sensible message". This is it.

RickPick's gear list:RickPick's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
Chris_in_Osaka
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,799Gear list
Like?
Transcend 64 GB SDXC (nt)
-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus E-PL3, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

Chris_in_Osaka's gear list:Chris_in_Osaka's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,248Gear list
Like?
Usually 8 GB size

Enough size (for non-video purposes) that I don't need to change it mid-shoot.

spacenegroes
Regular MemberPosts: 135
Like?

two 8GB cards.

battery runs out long before you fill even one. i went on a weeklong trip and didnt fill them.

momoklick
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
In reply to spacenegroes, Apr 7, 2012

2 x 16gb Sandisk 45mb/s

1 is mainly for backup tho.

400trix
Regular MemberPosts: 145Gear list
Like?

The E-M5 is going to be my first camera that actually uses SD (I'm a late adopter ;-)), but I'm going for the many smaller cards, rather than one big one, so I'm using 8GB SanDisk Extreme Pro cards, in spite of the ridiculous name. I figure 4 cards and I'll feel reasonably safe for any situation I'm likely to encounter.

-- hide signature --

God loves the noise just as much as the signal.

400trix's gear list:400trix's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,184Gear list
Like?
Re:multiple 4's

I've got a bunch of Transcend class 10 4gb. I've had cards go bad...so all eggs not in one crate. I've known people who almost use their large cards (say 32GB) as hard drives, and keep a months+ worth of shots on them without transfer. Although it's personal preference, I find it's a better practice to transfer to multiple hard drives as soon as possible. So limiting myself to 4GB forces me to, even if I feel lazy...4 GB also fits handily on a DVD disk.
--
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
http://barriolson.aminus3.com/

Like the Joker said: Why so serious?

A photo may be worth a thousand words but it takes up a lot more space on your hard drive.

Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,387
Like?
In reply to neillmac, Apr 7, 2012

Yes, I think it's nuts. I have never lost shots through a failed card, but I have lost them by losing the blasted cards!

32GB here.

For a D800 I'd a use a 64GB, but the GH2 can't even fill a 16GB before the battery runs out...

neillmac wrote:

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,132Gear list
Like?

4 Gb Kingston. Camera does not have movie mode, capacity of the card suffice me.
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads