My friends D800 Exploded

Started Apr 6, 2012 | Discussions
Mssimo
Contributing MemberPosts: 863Gear list
Like?
My friends D800 Exploded
Apr 6, 2012

Someone please fill my in on what happened. We did not notice any noise just a dark spot on the view finder and check out the damage. This camera was S/N30004XX (xx is the final two numbers)

-- hide signature --

Mássimo

Mssimo's gear list:Mssimo's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +3 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ssmumich00
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?
Re: My friends D800 Exploded
In reply to Mssimo, Apr 7, 2012

Did it come like this? A few users have reported these random spots in their D800's already.

Or did it literally explode when your were shooting?

That's Sony sensors for you!
--
(w): http://www.neilphotos.com
(p): http://www.suneil.net

ssmumich00's gear list:ssmumich00's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mssimo
Like?
In reply to ssmumich00, Apr 7, 2012

No, I think we got around 1500 clicks on it. I noticed the dark spot on the view finder. It still works and pictures still look good. Not sure what failed on it. I mailed it back to nikon. They told me 7-10 days.
--
Mássimo

Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye +3 more
reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
In reply to ssmumich00, Apr 7, 2012

Early adoption woes. Warranty should cover this, no?

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,405
Like?
Stress fracture?

Looks like a stress fracture in the viewfinder screen. Could have been some foreign object wedged between the frame and the screen. Not sure what the shiny spill is next to the screen.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

Mssimo
Like?
Re: Stress fracture?
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 7, 2012

I think that is melted plastic. Seems like the focus screen and mirror also melted.
--
Mássimo

BJN
BJN
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,753
Like?
A short burning some of the metal coating?

Looks to me like the pitted metal and missing black coating got vaporized and that's the dark comet shadow on the focusing screen.

-- hide signature --

BJ Nicholls
SLC, UT

ukat123
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?

Wow. You need to ask a new one.

I fear there will be quality issues for early adopters as Nikon was not ready to launch this camera and the high number of orders is going to put stress on their production lines.

ukat123
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?

Wow. You need to ask a new one.

I fear there will be quality issues for early adopters as Nikon was not ready to launch this camera and the high number of orders is going to put stress on their production lines.

Mssimo
Like?
Re: A short burning some of the metal coating?
In reply to BJN, Apr 7, 2012

Looks like plastic to me. How do you think it would get vaporized?
--
Mássimo

Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,370Gear list
Like?
Component Infant Mortality

Mssimo wrote:

Someone please fill my in on what happened. We did not notice any noise just a dark spot on the view finder and check out the damage.

Manufacturers attempt to screen out components with hidden defects before shipping product, but inevitably, a few manage to get out the door.

This could have been a capacitor, such as a bypass capacitor connected across the power supply, or perhaps an active component, which failed dramatically. Sometimes assembly errors such as installing a polarized capacitor with the wrong orientation, or an incorrect part type, will not cause immediate failures but then will produce a failure later in the field.

Looks like it came from a small board in the viewfinder area and partially impacted against the upper surface of the viewfinder screen as it moved downward at high speed.
It's a good example of the reasons why we want warranties on new gear.

chris maytag
Regular MemberPosts: 264
Like?
In reply to reginalddwight, Apr 7, 2012

reginalddwight wrote:

Early adoption woes. Warranty should cover this, no?

I had one of the early D200's with the infamous "banding". It's a risk we take. Nikon will surely cover it, as they did back then.

Still a hassle.

John Brewton
Contributing MemberPosts: 710
Like?
DvD5
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?

Was your friend taking photos with the sun on the edge of the frame? I seem to remember a photo of a D200 that looked like this after sitting on a tripod for a few minutes with the sun shining in the lens. Or, could be a component failure as others suggested.

Don
--
http://www.dvd5.zenfolio.com

Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,370Gear list
Like?
You can look above the viewscreen

Mssimo wrote:

Someone please fill my in on what happened. We did not notice any noise just a dark spot on the view finder and check out the damage.

At the center of the front (towards the lens) edge of the viewscreen, is a metal tab that you can pull forward to release the viewscreen, then you can see what's above it. Might be interesting.

reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Re: Component Infant Mortality
In reply to Marianne Oelund, Apr 7, 2012

Interesting theory, Marianne. You could be onto something.

Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,014
Like?
In reply to Marianne Oelund, Apr 7, 2012

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Mssimo wrote:

Manufacturers attempt to screen out components with hidden defects before shipping product, but inevitably, a few manage to get out the door.

This could have been a capacitor, such as a bypass capacitor connected across the power supply, or perhaps an active component, which failed dramatically. Sometimes assembly errors such as installing a polarized capacitor with the wrong orientation, or an incorrect part type, will not cause immediate failures but then will produce a failure later in the field.

Looks like it came from a small board in the viewfinder area and partially impacted against the upper surface of the viewfinder screen as it moved downward at high speed.
It's a good example of the reasons why we want warranties on new gear.

If that's the case there should be something rattling inside the body, unless it got wedged somewhere.

Stevequad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,270Gear list
Like?
In reply to Horshack, Apr 7, 2012

Which lens was in use? Did it the mirror contact the back of the lens? Look there also, unless the damage is on the hinged side of the mirror.
Non Ai lens?
--
Have Fun!
Steve

Stevequad's gear list:Stevequad's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon Coolpix S51c Nikon D100 Nikon D300 Nikon D3S +21 more
Mssimo
Like?
At the time I believe it was the 85mm f1.4D
In reply to Stevequad, Apr 7, 2012

At the time I believe it was the 85mm f1.4D.

Only other lenses he has is the 14-24mm and 50mm f1.8g
--
Mássimo

10-75
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?

Was your friend shooting into the sun or was the camera inadvertently aimed into the sun?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads