light leakage reported for 5D MkIII

Started Apr 6, 2012 | Discussions
cyk
cyk
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
light leakage reported for 5D MkIII
Apr 6, 2012

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=newproduct&page=1&divpage=7&ss=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=37367

About 10 users have confirmed the same problem.
Basically, outside light is reaching the sensor through the top LCD panel area.
The original poster recommends the following test:

Remove lens and place the body cap.
Put on the eye-piece cover.
This should theoretically block any light from entering the camera.
Set ISO to 800 and set shutter mode to Av.
You should see a shutter speed of around 10 sec.

Now either shine a flashlight near the top LCD panel area or simply turn on the backlighting of the top LCD panel.

This will cause the shutter speed to fluctulate between 5-8 seconds, indicating light leakage.

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,257
Like?
Re: light leakage reported for 5D MkIII
In reply to cyk, Apr 7, 2012

cyk wrote:

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=newproduct&page=1&divpage=7&ss=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=37367

Now either shine a flashlight near the top LCD panel area or simply turn on the backlighting of the top LCD panel.

This will cause the shutter speed to fluctulate between 5-8 seconds, indicating light leakage.

Not happening with mine (thankfully).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IceAero
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?

Hmm, seems to be affecting mine.

20" with the LCD off and drops to 10 seconds when I turn on the LCD backlight....

IceAero's gear list:IceAero's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L II
Drew Saur
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?

Interesting, and I can confirm the difference in my Mk III as described.

But the light is not hitting the sensor; rather, it would be hitting the metering system, which is housed alongside the prism (which is why all cameras come with eyepiece covers), and I almost have to imagine that this happens with other cameras as well, and I would presume that there is compensation for this, or that it falls within tolerances.

If I had other cameras with me right now I would try to confirm. I am sure others will as this gets out there.

Drew

cyk wrote:

Canochrome
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
In reply to Drew Saur, Apr 7, 2012

Drew Saur wrote:

Interesting, and I can confirm the difference in my Mk III as described.

But the light is not hitting the sensor; rather, it would be hitting the metering system, which is housed alongside the prism (which is why all cameras come with eyepiece covers), and I almost have to imagine that this happens with other cameras as well, and I would presume that there is compensation for this, or that it falls within tolerances.

I haven't checked and I don't intend to, but I suspect that you're right - that the light is leaking slightly into the metering area. I would say that the simple cure is to not shoot in dark situations with the top LCD lit.

-- hide signature --

Tom

IceAero
New MemberPosts: 7Gear list
Like?
In reply to Canochrome, Apr 7, 2012

What about sunlight hitting the LCD and causing underexposure?

IceAero's gear list:IceAero's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L II
5DMk3 user Kings
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

I can confirm that with my 5d mark3.

What a stupid...

Canochrome
Regular MemberPosts: 105
Like?
In reply to IceAero, Apr 7, 2012

Considering how much light might actually be hitting the metering sensors through this path - I don't see a problem. I mean it's barely noticeable when metering with the lens cap on. More light enters the pentaprism through the viewfinder when those of us wear glasses operate the camera.

I've already been shooting in direct afternoon sunlight and haven't experienced any metering issues. If anything, this body meters better than my Mk II.

Maybe someone should try this test on an older, proven body and see what happens.

-- hide signature --

Tom

WalterSrChat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128Gear list
Like?
Avoid The Test for light leakage for 5D MkIII as shown

cyk wrote:

On your test, you did not remove the eye cup and cover the eye piece with black tape after closing the eye piece cover.

Following the above instructions may damage your camera because you have removed your lens that communicates with your camera and the paths that the electronics is expecting to fond will not be present, so strange results can be expected from the electronics, including circuit failure, due to stress and overheating, caused by partially completed circuits.

There is a science to correctly testing things, and it takes lots of practice to become a proficient tester, so my suggestion is to leave testing to a proficient tester.

Walter Sr
--
I am out to take the perfect picture, if it exits!

WalterSrChat's gear list:WalterSrChat's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +3 more
NikonForever
Forum MemberPosts: 78Gear list
Like?
In reply to Canochrome, Apr 7, 2012

from my posting name, you might think I am standing on nikon side, but I did buy canon 5d iii and got the same problem of leakage. Then I tested it on nikon d7000, it turns out no such leakage. that makes me double if I should return canon back as it cost me a fortune? however, I agree that it shouldn't cause a problem since the leakage is minor, only occurs while long exposure, that enlarges the leak significantly. in reality, like me, seldom do 10 sec such long exposure shooting, it should not be a problem in 99 % of my shoots, if I do need long exposure, I will cover the top LCD in this case.

NikonForever's gear list:NikonForever's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +8 more
mkson
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

Another Korean user posted comparing 60D and 5DIII regarding leakage of lighteng test.

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=newproduct&page=1&divpage=7&ss=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=37378

Youtube video clip shows that once 5D MKII turns LCD light on shutter speed is changed, but 60D doesn't.

NikonForever
Like?

by the way, there is no leak at all while shooting live view since the prism is up, no reflection to the sensor.

Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +8 more
DotCom Editor
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,588Gear list
Like?
What if I'm actually photographing a flashlight? (nt)

What then?

mkson
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

Another video clip shows that light is leaking under day light. Shutter speed is changed as shaded LCD area.

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=newproduct&page=1&divpage=7&ss=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=37387

cyk
cyk
Like?
In reply to mkson, Apr 7, 2012

This is a serious hardware flaw. I am going to cancel my order.

Drew Saur
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?

You're making the assumption that this isn't accounted for somewhere in the design.

I'm not saying that there is definitely nothing wrong, but I have already taken hundreds of photos with my allegedly defective camera and haven't seen anything noticeably wrong with the exposure system. So have many others.

Most notably, in further testing I did not see this happen with the lens cap off - even taken pictures in a dimly lit room with a seriously bright LED flashlight pointing at the LCD, which would presumably be the way most people would take pictures.

So not considering that this isn't accounted for in the design is potentially presumptuous. That's all!

Drew

OpieSF
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?

Pure FUD.

I cannot replicate this with or without a lens on the camera. And praytell, why would you worry about exposure jumps WITHOUT a lens on the body?

dcormier0
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
There's a relavent note in the manual...

From page 114 of the Canon 5D Mk III manual (and, coincidentally, page 86 of the Mk II manual):

"If you will not look through the viewfinder when you press the shutter button, attach the eyepiece cover (p.185). If stray light enters the viewfinder when the picture is taken, it may throw off the exposure."

The 1D Mk IV manual has almost identical language on page 102 of its manual, but it refers to the built-in eyepiece shutter rather than the separate eyepiece cover used on lower-end cameras.

Canon is quite aware of it. That's why they give us tools to combat it.

cyk
cyk
Like?
In reply to Drew Saur, Apr 7, 2012

I agree with what you said. But at the same time I don't feel comfortable plunking down $3500 knowing this potentially serious issue. I'll wait and see how this develops.

NikonForever
Like?
Re: There's a relavent note in the manual...
In reply to dcormier0, Apr 7, 2012

The question is the leak through top LCD panel that we don't use eye to cover it during shooting. I do consider to return it back.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads