>>>> Street Photography eXchange #9 <<<<

Started Apr 6, 2012 | Discussions
Peter Dumont
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,135
Like?
Re: Muybridge was right
In reply to fad, Apr 19, 2012

fad wrote:

That is one wonderful gallop - well caught, frank !
Best,

http://www.pbase.com/peter_dumont

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,147Gear list
Like?
thanks frank, al, ihtisham
In reply to xtoph, Apr 19, 2012

i initially thought this would surely be a color shot, given the blue sky, black leather, and neon plastic gun.

but it really works better in bw. (i might be able to do another better color edit once i get my computer repaired, though.) funny how often pictures with a riveting bright color focus actually work better without it. color is treacherous. but i still prefer to use it when possible.

frank, i didn't know what that was, but he shot a disk-thing off into the water, so it must be something like the vertex gun. it appears to be different colors than the nerf product, though, so maybe a knockoff copy of the nerf original. they look like a hoot.

albobkin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,791
Like?
magenta twins
In reply to fad, Apr 20, 2012

-- hide signature --

al

ihtisham
Senior MemberPosts: 1,911
Like?
Re: Muybridge was right
In reply to fad, Apr 20, 2012

Pretty funny, Frank!

Ihtisham

ihtisham
Like?
Re: baby dolls market
In reply to albobkin, Apr 20, 2012

This one is almost surreal, Alexander. Good catch.

Ihtisham

ihtisham
Like?
Re: magenta twins
In reply to albobkin, Apr 20, 2012

Alexander, you have caught them in a thoughtful moment. The magenta and white

colors stand out. I think this is different than other twin photos that i have seen in
the sense that the photo (to me) is really not about their twin-ness.

Ihtisham

fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 11,818Gear list
Like?
Re: magenta twins
In reply to ihtisham, Apr 20, 2012

ihtisham wrote:

Alexander, you have caught them in a thoughtful moment. The magenta and white

colors stand out. I think this is different than other twin photos that i have seen in
the sense that the photo (to me) is really not about their twin-ness.

Ihtisham

No, it is about making them seem weird and disassociated instead of cute,
--
Frank

All photos shot in downtown Manhattan unless otherwise noted.
Thanks in advance for the kindness of your comments or critiques.

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
fad
fad
Like?
Figure skate
In reply to fad, Apr 21, 2012

Rockefeller Center

-- hide signature --

Frank

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
dagith
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
some cute kid shots
In reply to fad, Apr 21, 2012

Sony Nex-5n, I think these were all taken with the olympus pen f 40mm 1.4 (at least 2/3)

_zedagive
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
On the Street (Guatemala and Columbia)
In reply to fad, Apr 22, 2012

-- hide signature --

zedagive
D5000 (Nikon refurbished)

fad
fad
Like?
How Autofocus (Often) Works

Informative article:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2010/07/how-autofocus-often-works

Personally, I've re-examined my AF settings, once again. I've decided to totally throw over all the advice I've read in recent years from excellent photographers, and to AF like a complete amateur.

AF point selection - big distraction, often wrong, maddening when switching from horizontal to vertical. I now save this for special occasions on static subjects.

AFS v. AFC - I leave it on AFC, except for special occasions. On AFS, the camera will refuse to focus on subjects moving toward me. Subjects are constantly moving toward me on the street. Even though AFS is slightly faster, it loses shots completely every time I shoot street.

AF area [single point, sports, auto] Proficient photographers use single point to put it where they want, or sports to keep moving figures in focus. I use auto. The reason is that it gives me one less thing to think about. And Nikon claims it can "distinguish human subjects," ie, some form of face detection. --On the D4 and D800 this entire system will have been improved, both in hardware and software. --I have failed in a lot of fast moving photos to get the face in focus. So now I let the camera do this for me. Sometimes it fails, it chooses a high contrast shirt over a baby's face, or selects a face in a group I would not pick. But, as a practical matter, I have a higher proportion of subjects in complex situations where the face is acceptably in focus. Every day I am losing shots where the camera guesses wrong, and different shots from those I messed up on my own, but I am losing far fewer shots. By not pretending to be, or even aspiring to be, a better technical photographer than I am, I get better pictures.

Similarly, even I could use AE adjustments based on experience and get more accurate exposures sometimes. By relying on raw latitude, I just have less to think about when I am after subjects and situations. When I have time, I can think and chimp. But that's unusual for me. LR 4, and PS, can let me recover from suboptimal focus nearly all the time.

AF-ON v. Shutter release. Separating exposure from shutter release is so elegant and precise and professional I've been doing it for years, on Canon, Fuji X-100 and Nikon. But once I decided to let the camera select AF, it became pointless. So last week I switched to allowing the shutter release to do AF. Marvelous. I can shoot faster and I can now shoot with one hand when I want to. I was so busy being elegant and professional, I never noticed that my thumb is a little short to reach the AF button on the D3s and had to do a slight stretch.

Another thing I am doing is reducing my aperture about a stop or so. My printing teacher at ICP pointed out the obvious, that this increases the area that seems in focus, especially with the tele FL's that I prefer.

Self-knowledge is a wonderful thing for an artists. I feel much more professional now that I am willing to use amateur settings just because they work better for my style of shooting. And it makes me feel like a rich man --to have worked so hard to acquire advanced knowledge of photography, and to just throw it away.

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad
fad
Like?
Re: On the Street (Guatemala and Columbia)
In reply to _zedagive, Apr 22, 2012

zedagive wrote:

-- hide signature --

zedagive

Beautiful shots. You've treated your subjects with such respect that they look mythical.

In 1, the hat that seems to large make the man seem like a dwarf. Perspective, focus and texture work well together.

In 2, the colors are very moving.

-- hide signature --

Frank

_zedagive
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
Re: On the Street (Guatemala and Columbia)

Thanks so much for the comment. Here's one more from Guatemala (Lake Atitlan Region)

-- hide signature --

zedagive

fad
fad
Like?
Waffle Truck
In reply to fad, Apr 23, 2012

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad
fad
Like?
Emergency

-- hide signature --

Frank

albobkin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,791
Like?
dutch cheese

28mm (eq.)
--
al

xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,147Gear list
Like?
bus stop

Zubu Barunda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,071Gear list
Like?
Re: Suspicious of the photographers
In reply to ihtisham, Apr 23, 2012

ihtisham wrote:

Zubu, Great expression on his face. Looks like he is engaging, though, not being suspicious?

You are right, Ihtisham. He is just playing being suspicious.

Ihtisham

Zubu Barunda
Like?
Re: Suspicious of the photographers
In reply to xtoph, Apr 23, 2012

xtoph wrote:

suspicious of a man with a leica?!? surely not. must be your nikon causing the agitation.

i like this one better than the princesses. the expression is really lively, and it draws you in to wonder and to explore.

How on earth anyone could be suspicious of Leica?!?!

It could be my Nikon, because I took a few shots of him earlier. Being slightly tipsy made him a photogenic target for SP.

Zubu Barunda
Like?
Re: Emergency

This is the best of the best in SP. It is a stunning shot. I cannot take my eyes off it.

fad wrote:

-- hide signature --

Frank

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads