Enough with the D800 supply rants

Started Apr 6, 2012 | Discussions
Cheema
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
Enough with the D800 supply rants
Apr 6, 2012

Like many others I have ordered the camera and have not yet received it. But I am not blaming Nikon for it. Or anybody else. There is a lot of demand and not enough supply. As simple as that.

I do not understand what people expect Nikon to do. Other than make them as fast as they can. Which they probably already are doing. Communicate more? About what exactly? What is there to communicate that is not already well understood? Apologize? For making a good camera that many people want to buy?

I am just baffled at the craziness of impatient people. People are making YouTube videos about D800 supply problems. Come on people, we all want our camera as soon as possible or sooner. Just keep your wits about

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tankahn
Regular MemberPosts: 280
Like?
Re: Enough with the D800 supply rants
In reply to Cheema, Apr 6, 2012

In Singapore, shops we usually bought our Nikon stuffs are given a few pieces. Am told that they have to include in their orders $150k+ of slow moving coolpixs in order to qualify. Loyal fans found out their pre-orders are all in vain, their only hope is to call all the lesser known dealers including small towns in neighboring Malaysia. Dealers soon wise up and sold them at 20% over full retail price. On the other hand, Canon shooters were happy that their 5DMIII were immediately available for those who want one. This kind of frustration and negative feelings amongst its loyal fans is not going to help Nikon I am sure.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Apollo18
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089Gear list
Like?

I do not understand what people expect Nikon to do.

I invite you to read the many threads on this, in which many people state what they think Nikon should do.

Communicate more?

Yes, why not?

About what exactly?

Come on, isn't that obvious?

Apologize? For making a good camera that many people want to buy?

Very obviously not this.

There is a lot of demand and not enough supply. As simple as that.

The main point made in most of the threads on this subject is exactly that it is not as simple as that.

The complaints are legitimate. But you are right, you tube videos are a bit much.

Apollo18's gear list:Apollo18's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +6 more
lanef
Forum ProPosts: 10,317
Like?
In reply to tankahn, Apr 6, 2012

tankahn wrote:

In Singapore, shops we usually bought our Nikon stuffs are given a few pieces. Am told that they have to include in their orders $150k+ of slow moving coolpixs in order to qualify. Loyal fans found out their pre-orders are all in vain, their only hope is to call all the lesser known dealers including small towns in neighboring Malaysia. Dealers soon wise up and sold them at 20% over full retail price. On the other hand, Canon shooters were happy that their 5DMIII were immediately available for those who want one. This kind of frustration and negative feelings amongst its loyal fans is not going to help Nikon I am sure.

Same here in Western Australia, some dealers have not received a single one yet, some can't even quote a price, on their website, Price:TBA.
Compare that to some posters from Europe who could buy one in Duty Free shops.
Not available or not seen yet, really? but hey the grey market is getting them.

Price is going up everywhere. Nikon distribution is left to be desired, the right hand does not know what the left is doing. Some posters wearing Nikon blinkers or some who got their copy already now want to preach, to pontificate to the crowd, give me a break.

pyzon
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?

enough complaining about the complainers..get it through your thick skull that YOU DO NOT HAVE TO READ THEM!!! if you get the jist of the post and it's a complaint then what is the problem...just close it and MOVE ON..this is a forum for complaints/opinions. reviews/comments...you're allowed have your opinion but others are not allowed have theirs??? SHADDAPAYAFACE...and move to the next thread..

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to Apollo18, Apr 6, 2012

Apollo18 wrote:

I invite you to read the many threads on this, in which many people state what they think Nikon should do.

Communicate more?

Yes, why not?

About what exactly?

Very obviously not this.

The main point made in most of the threads on this subject is exactly that it is not as simple as that.

The complaints are legitimate. But you are right, you tube videos are a bit much.

But it is as simple as that. Demand has exceeded supply. All the minutiae that people are complaining about like why did one store get more D800s than another simple byproducts of a high demand in short supply.

But people with intense GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) in many cases owning multiple cameras are wanting their new toy so much that when it's not coming fast enough, they are ranting, and assigning blame to anyone and everyone who they feel is responsible for their camera not being in their hands exactly when they want it.

I want my D800 just as much as everyone else but I would never sit around hatching conspiracy theories about missed paperwork and loss of faith in Nikon.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Michael Firstlight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,898Gear list
Like?

Isn't this an oxymoron and a rant about supply rants?

Just sayin'

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +12 more
ofior
Contributing MemberPosts: 561Gear list
Like?

The only issue that I bothers me is that neither Nikon nor the retailers can give you a clue as to when you will get the product. And yes, we can and we should complain about that. My customers complain to me unless I tell them when they will get their stuff. Is that too much to ask?

ofior's gear list:ofior's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +12 more
davesee
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?

At this point I'm kind of wishing the D800 had it's own forum, if even for a little while until things calm down just to keep things organized. Then the people who are interested in the wall-to-wall coverage of the D800 can just go there. This forum is being dominated by those threads and it's frankly getting kind of tiresome.

Apollo18
Senior MemberPosts: 1,089Gear list
Like?
In reply to marike6, Apr 6, 2012

It's valid to wonder why supply is too low to meet demand, and not dismiss those reasons as minutiae.

Not everyone just has NAS by the way. Personally I'd just like to have a product I ordered months ago to appear on my doorstep some time soon. Alternatively, if the product is going to be late, I'd like to given some clue as to when I might expect to receive it.

I don't think it's too much to ask - it's completely normal for consumers to get annoyed when they are dicked around.

marike6 wrote:

Apollo18 wrote:

Communicate more?

Yes, why not?

About what exactly?

Very obviously not this.

But it is as simple as that. Demand has exceeded supply. All the minutiae that people are complaining about like why did one store get more D800s than another simple byproducts of a high demand in short supply.

But people with intense GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) in many cases owning multiple cameras are wanting their new toy so much that when it's not coming fast enough, they are ranting, and assigning blame to anyone and everyone who they feel is responsible for their camera not being in their hands exactly when they want it.

I want my D800 just as much as everyone else but I would never sit around hatching conspiracy theories about missed paperwork and loss of faith in Nikon.

Apollo18's gear list:Apollo18's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +6 more
aechester
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cheema, Apr 7, 2012

OP, I feel you man. What is it about all these obsessed people as of late? I've got a camera on order too, but I don't expect it, I don't demand it, and if it gets here in May, June, or November, it's fine with me. I have other things to do if there are unanticipated delays. Things like that are part of life. Get used to it people! In other words, Grow Up.

I swear some people are so obsessed and impatient, they are just like drug junkies with pinpointed pupils who can't see or remember a darn thing! Here's a couple facts to be reminded of. Remember that Nikon was very strongly affected logistically and financially by the flood situation in Thailand? Remember that some Nikon plants or employees in Japan were also affected severely by the Tsunami and Earthquakes in Japan within the last two years (there's still lingering radiation problems). When the D3 and D700 generation cameras were being launched, these type factors were not weighing down on Japan or Nikon's production capability - were they?!. Nobody seems to remember that even though Nikon did launch the D800, that real world factors could still affect production. But, before it was actually announced, all anyone could post about was when is it going to be announced.

It doesn't matter where the D800 is made. Major things that have happened to Nikon like those in the past two years, affect all of Nikon in some way or another.

So, if you remember all these things and are well aware of Nikon's real-world situations, what other planet's Nikon division are you expecting to miraculously take up the slack?

We all should be thankful that it was announced as soon as it was, and not delayed even further. But now, I actually wished Nikon had of waited (for 6 months to 1 year longer!). With the performance and new standards set by the D800, it likely could still compete fine if released a year later anyway! Is anyone here on life support that is being fueled by Nikon D800s? Some people seriously need shocked into finding something else to do, with getting a wider perspective emotionally with life and not just through a lens. A lot of people are looking at this situation while emotionally stopping themselves down to F50, with so much emotional diffraction they can't see anything objectively at all.

Seriously, if anyone is this impatient, coupled with the careful technique required to get good results from a D800 (don't say Nikon didn't warn you, they did put out the Technical Guide quite early), then how can they be relied upon to carefully read the instructions and know their camera, instead of impulsively blowing up on this forum if some little something doesn't go quite right?

If you're that impatient now with one of life's trivial dealings, is the arrival of your D800 going to suddenly make you a mature, calm and thoroughly composed individual? If one is that impatient, how can they be trusted to even read the instructions thoroughly? Here's a thought, the instructions are already available, download them, discuss them, and help each other become experts while you're waiting for the arrival of your D800.

I wish DP Review would enforce a separate forum for those people who have cameras on order, and are dealing with their own life, dealer, or manufacturer issues in getting them shipped and received. These are logistical and purchase issues, not photography or gear issues.

Nikon does not deserve this short sighted bantering, after they have designed and tooled up to make one of the best photographic tools in the world. Remember they are just a fraction the size of Canon, so when they do get hit by the real world setbacks like those recently, they can't be expected to absorb them instantly in a single day. Many are acting like Nikon has not had a single setback at all recently, and all Nikon employees are just basking in a surplus of technology and good luck. Not so, and all this selfish negative sentiment is no better than kicking someone when they are down and trying to get back on their feet.

I really do wish all these logistical/personal problem posts would get moved to a separate forum. It would be much better for the rest of us.

aechester's gear list:aechester's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +2 more
allenns
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
In reply to aechester, Apr 7, 2012

I agree with last post indeed i have to wait and grit my teeth. It is unacceptable though but little we can do about it. I am sure Nikon have taken the point by now but their early release was very premature and it stinks of problems and issues. No doubt even if it is freely available by this summer or later we will buy it and who profits Nikon and E-bay while we stick our D700/7000's for sale. Anyway, would be laughable if in the meantime Sony or Canon guzump Nikon with competitors!!

mlewan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099Gear list
Like?
In reply to allenns, Apr 7, 2012

allenns wrote:

I am sure Nikon have taken the point by now but their early release was very premature and it stinks of problems and issues.

I am actually grateful that they release the cameras slowly. Imagine the risk for them making a huge number of cameras which not enough people buy or which has some undiscovered unacceptable hardware issues. It could have been a huge cost for them to sit on unsold cameras or, even worse, to have to recall a huge number of cameras. That cost they would have to pass on to their consumers, i.e. me, and I'm glad they don't.

That said, personally, I'm of course disappointed that I still do not have my camera with Easter holiday and everything.

Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,927Gear list
Like?
Re: "Anybody" can get a D800 - in 3-4 weeks!

"Anybody" can get a D800 - in 3-4 weeks!

All "anybody" has to do is to be a good enough pro photographer to to qualified for Nikon NPS service.
If you are not that good you are in a queue.

If you pre-order without checking first how many are in the queue at the store you pre order from you could be in a very long queue.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd

Photography could be easier - if cameras and lenses came with an increase in skill button.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +18 more
Sylvain Larive
Forum MemberPosts: 88
Like?
In reply to mlewan, Apr 7, 2012

mlewan wrote:

I am actually grateful that they release the cameras slowly. Imagine the risk for them making a huge number of cameras which not enough people buy or which has some undiscovered unacceptable hardware issues.

If Nikon, afer so many years in the camera business can't release a product without proper testing (alpha, beta, pre-prod cycles or whatever they internally call these design cycles) then their R&D department must live in the 1950's. They're not coming in with a substantially new design like say, a light field camera, its basically improved features and a new sensor. Not saying its an easy task, but when that's what you do as a company, you have to be confident enough when you release a product, not back into it because you're afraid R&D scr*wed things up. If they can't RISK releasing such a product without trickling it to the market and wait for feedback, I think they're in the wrong business...

In fact, it would be TROUBLING for the D800 not to be ready, considering many of the Pro photographers associated Nikon (Like Joe McNally) have said openly that he camera has been in their hands for over a year and a half and that he camera was ready for release a year ago before the Tsunami changed their plans.

Funny thing is, in the end I'm with you. I don't NEED a D800 and so I can wait. There will be small issues and stuff to improve on so I'll wait this out. Just saying this is, like many Nikon releases, a failed launch as far as manufacturing, distribution and communication goes. Nikon is leaving a lot of money on the table by not being able to keep up the slightest bit with demand.

Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,093Gear list
Like?
It is no different than previous Nikon introductions

Most of these whiners have not been around long enough to have seen this before. Anyone that has, knows that this is par for the course.

Consider it entertainment.

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
winter1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,640Gear list
Like?
Re: It is no different than previous Nikon introductions
In reply to Greg Gebhardt, Apr 7, 2012

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

Most of these whiners have not been around long enough to have seen this before. Anyone that has, knows that this is par for the course.

Consider it entertainment.

-- hide signature --

Greg Gebhardt in
Jacksonville, Florida

Then I guess it would be right to assume, having messed up before they might have got it right this time!

Whilst availability or lack of is a forgone conclusion, the total lack of information to their dealers is appaling. Add to this the c@ck up with pricing in the UK and you have a launch that could not have gone any worse? In fact I don't think the word "Launch" can realistically be used!! Quite pathetic and a complete shambles is what I would call it.

This is my op, it may not agree with yours and that's just fine.

winter1's gear list:winter1's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
BobYIL
Contributing MemberPosts: 887
Like?
In reply to Sylvain Larive, Apr 7, 2012

Sylvain Larive wrote:

Just saying this is, like many Nikon releases, a failed launch as far as manufacturing, distribution and communication goes. Nikon is leaving a lot of money on the table by not being able to keep up the slightest bit with demand.

Production is able to turn out 30.000 pcs a month; 30K is equivalent of what Leica was able to produce the M9s since the end of 2009 or probably more than what the D3x sold since its introduction. It's the first time in the history of high-end DSLRs a model is facing with such a demand exceeding a substantial manufacturing capacity. I doubt the D7000 has met such a demand.

Another reason: Only 10% of this production has been assigned to the D800E, i.e. 3.000 units/month however the preorders indicated, as they say, some 40% of the total. Most probably Sendai now divided the capacity into two to cope up with this unexpected situation (remember the warning messages from B&H to the ones pre-ordered the D800E's.)

And the third: Most certainly 90% of the first party of shipments to the States had ended in the hands of NPS members and probably they still keep on delivering to them.

What we do not know how much of this worldwide quota has been assigned to the States market.. IMHO, this might be the real question..
--
BobYIL

mlewan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,099Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sylvain Larive, Apr 7, 2012

Sylvain Larive wrote:

If Nikon, afer so many years in the camera business can't release a product without proper testing (alpha, beta, pre-prod cycles or whatever they internally call these design cycles) then their R&D department must live in the 1950's. They're not coming in with a substantially new design like say, a light field camera, its basically improved features and a new sensor. Not saying its an easy task, but when that's what you do as a company, you have to be confident enough when you release a product, not back into it because you're afraid R&D scr*wed things up. If they can't RISK releasing such a product without trickling it to the market and wait for feedback, I think they're in the wrong business...

In fact, it would be TROUBLING for the D800 not to be ready, considering many of the Pro photographers associated Nikon (Like Joe McNally) have said openly that he camera has been in their hands for over a year and a half and that he camera was ready for release a year ago before the Tsunami changed their plans.

There is nothing called "proper testing" if by "proper" you mean "perfect". Every single product has flaws - the challenge is to limit them as much as possible.

I did not know that Joe McNally had used the D800 for a year, but I'm not that surprised. However, he cannot possibly have used all the functionality on the camera. No one does. Each of us pick our own favourites and leave the rest to others.

He clearly does not use AF like this poster does: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=41066194 so that bug slipped through to the production version.

Likewise, I bet he had a unit without the green cast LCD issue or the left side AF point issues:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=41133868
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=41128645

And I bet Joe's camera did not explode:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=41145852

As a limited number of cameras are out there, Nikon has an opportunity to improve the quality by fixing the bug and making sure that the issues do not repeat in future production units - hopefully including mine whenever it comes.

pyzon
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?
In reply to aechester, Apr 7, 2012

the people who whine, whine, the people who whine about whiners write essays...wtf..opened the post, saw it was 200 lines long and skipped it...why can't the whiners about the whiners just do that...who is going to read 200 lines of crap..how much time did it actually take to write that.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads