D300 - A "pretty" large pano.. - Maroon Bells (pic)

Started Apr 6, 2012 | Discussions
Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,573Gear list
Like?
D300 - A "pretty" large pano.. - Maroon Bells (pic)
Apr 6, 2012

As part of while we wait thread..
Here is a very very large pano's that i took last fall (one of many)

The redboxes are basically images shown below

Just rough jpg samples.. but the image is humongous and majestic to say the least!

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,755
Like?
Re: D300 - A "pretty" large pano.. - Maroon Bells (pic)
In reply to Devendra, Apr 6, 2012

Veeerrry nice! What software did you use and how many pics? Thanks loads ~

Ernie Misner

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,801
Like?

Nice pano and light
--
Dez

http://dezsantana.com

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Lovely..question

Lovely,

I guess the answer is what works best '-) but which type of lens is best for a pano.

I saw one guy here recommend a 60mm macro, I guess for definition and clarity. Thus, all blended make one sharp picture, is that correct?

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......'Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.”

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Devendra
Like?
thanks! :) - answers

I used 5x11 frames made up of 2136x3216 sized (medium) jpgs, with about 30% overlapping on each side using gigapan. I used Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-5.6 lens @85mm/f9

I used Microsoft ICE (free software) which can automatically take care of the merging the images if they are setup correctly. It works fine for handheld as well, as long as you are consciously overlapping as you move from side to side. handheld multiple rowsxcolumns are challenging, but you can still have fairly good results.

Here is a handheld single row shot of 5 vertical jpg images (resized):

As you can see the software did a pretty decent job of merging the sides.

Now in terms of the lens, one can use whatever demands for the situation. 35mm on DX is about 50mm which can give decent distortion free images. So, I use that as a baseline and go up depending on the area and shot I am taking. Also, the sharper the lens the better, but not a requirement when the pano size goes up. turn off autowb and shoot in manual focus @f9 or whatever works to get a sharp shot.

I have taken an image that was shot at 200mm@f13. It was about 7x23 images, super wide but very detailed!

I use jpg for very large images, since the detail is already very high when shrunk! But using RAW and then batching it up to generate quality jpgs is another option.

One last thing - photoshop can only handle up to 29999x29999 pixel images. JPG limitation is 79999x79999 which gimp can handle. Most i7QM or higher processors can easily handle very large images.

Enjoy experimenting around, and share away some samples

Devendra wrote:

As part of while we wait thread..
Here is a very very large pano's that i took last fall (one of many)

The redboxes are basically images shown below

Just rough jpg samples.. but the image is humongous and majestic to say the least!

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,234Gear list
Like?

Very nice. Brings back a fond memory of the famous spot on the way to Snowmass Mtn, straddling the Continental Divide, the view forever in any direction.

Devendra
Like?
seems like you hit one essence about photography
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Apr 7, 2012

good to know that it brought back wonderful memories. Sometimes thats what photography is about.

I completely agree how majestic this place looks in real. No photograph can beat the experience of being there. Did you happen to take the hike from Crested Butte area into Maroon Bells, or took the hike up to the lakes on the top?

Here is a shot from the continental divide, looking back into the trail from crested butte:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Very nice. Brings back a fond memory of the famous spot on the way to Snowmass Mtn, straddling the Continental Divide, the view forever in any direction.

matt_nnn
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
Re: seems like you hit one essence about photography
In reply to Devendra, Apr 9, 2012

That looks tempting as well
Did you only use a polarizer or is that an infrared shot?

Best regards,
Matt

matt_nnn's gear list:matt_nnn's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +4 more
Devendra
Like?
Re: seems like you hit one essence about photography
In reply to matt_nnn, Apr 9, 2012

The original was a color shot without polarizer or any filters. Basically I exported same image but variously exposed from nx2, and then processed them in photoshop. Basically was a blend of various b&w images within photoshop.

I darkened the sky using red filter, then the rocks were red, so i used blue filter. I blended multiple shots at various areas to get the right texture.

Having clouds always helps as they always enhance the drama. Here is quick n dirty version by just using Silver efex pro 2.

matt_nnn wrote:

That looks tempting as well
Did you only use a polarizer or is that an infrared shot?

Best regards,
Matt

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads