A sudden unexpected goodbye to my 5D2.

Started Apr 6, 2012 | Discussions
John Zeman
Regular MemberPosts: 312
Like?
A sudden unexpected goodbye to my 5D2.
Apr 6, 2012

Farewell my 5D Mark II. You served me well for over three years but today when I was wading across a stream to shoot a waterfall my feet went out from under me on the slippery solid rock river bottom and down and under water I went holding you and my 1D4. The 1D4 is fine but my 5D2 is a paperweight now. Fortunately I have my gear insured with a replacement if lost, stolen, or destroyed policy so I'll come out of this fine, but what a way to upgrade!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mike K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,491Gear list
Like?
Re: A sudden unexpected goodbye to my 5D2.
In reply to John Zeman, Apr 6, 2012

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Was the lens on it ok?

Mike K's gear list:Mike K's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kent Christian
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?

Ooh bummer got a question should like you have some great insurance, do you mind telling us what company you use

Kent Christian's gear list:Kent Christian's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
John Zeman
Like?
In reply to Mike K, Apr 6, 2012

It appears to be ok. I had my 17-40 lens on it and it still works however when I put it on my 1D4 it the outer element fogged over on the inside, but an hour later it had cleared. To be sure I'll check it again before I turn in my insurance claim next week when we get home again and if there's any doubt in my mind then I'll put in a claim for a new lens too

John Zeman
Like?
In reply to Kent Christian, Apr 6, 2012

Kent I can't answer that right now. I just went to my local insurance provider who works with several insurance companies and had them pick out the best company for me. I'll soon find out if that was a wise choice.

AlCrawford
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?

I would recommend sending your lens into Canon for a cleaning. Even if it seems OK if water got in there it could cause it to corrode fairly soon.

filmluvr
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,093
Like?
Homeowner's

John Zeman wrote:

Kent I can't answer that right now. I just went to my local insurance provider who works with several insurance companies and had them pick out the best company for me. I'll soon find out if that was a wise choice.

My homeowner's policy (State Farm) can attach an inexpensive one-year rider that covers all loss or damage to my photo gear when I travel. I buy this coverage prior to every trip to Asia.

Ryanide
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
TCP&Co. Insurance for Photographers

http://www.tcpinsurance.com/photographer.html

I had a policy with them years ago and just signed up again. They have no-fault, worldwide coverage at replacement value. It previously was a Zero-deductible, but now is $500. That's still fine when dealing with expensive equipment and especially the thought of someone snatching a full bag of gear that could easily be over $10K.

You can get a quick quote online and they got my policy set up in one day. Also covers all your computer equipment and your laptop (everywhere) as well as your basic business coverage and liability.

You do not have to provide any business documentation or earn any income from photography to qualify. They only ask for a URL for reference and I gave them my Zenfolio website with a few galleries of images.

Highly recommended.

Ryanide's gear list:Ryanide's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +6 more
Phil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,580Gear list
Like?

How long before you kicked the battery out and emersed the 5DMKII in deionized water?

-- hide signature --

Phil Agur

5DMKII - 7D Dual Body Bag - Go 'L' and don't look back!

Got 7D? See http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3167

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Chris Giles
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
In reply to Phil, Apr 6, 2012

Don't worry about the water, make sure the battery is out and it sits in a sealed container full of rice for a month.

The fiance washed her ipod nano for an hour and bag of rich took all the water out.

Salt is only an issue if it has a reagent, such as moisture. Remove that, remove the risk. The biggest damage will occur with the battery in place so remove that, sit for a month, try it then.

If the water can get in as a liquid it will easily come out as a vapour. Warm place, sealed container, covered in rice.

hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,079
Like?
Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Well, that's one way to upgrade!

Phil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,580Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris Giles, Apr 6, 2012

Chris,

You have it mostly right, speaking as a reliability engineer.

Certainly it's battery out as fast as you can. In seconds, not minutes, or hours later the battery can cause some real damage.

Common sources of water all contain ionic contamination which is what makes water conduct. Take away the ions and it’s a fantastic insulator. If these contaminates are allowed to dry on the electronics they can short something out now or fuel galvanic corrosion later with just normal room humidity.

The best approach is rinsing the camera in de-ionized water. In the world before permanent press shirts, besides being common in industry, de-ionized water was sold for steam irons. Distilled water should be de-ionized by the nature of how it’s created but de-ionized water is confirmed to be ion free.

I think everyone should find a source in their town as a precaution now instead of letting something happen and then go looking.

When de-ionized water evaporates it leaves no residue or water spots (minerals left behind) so now you’re ready for the rice.

In my case, I keep on hand a large box of silica gel about the size of a brick that has moisture indicators on the box. Silica gel works better than rice and is reusable. I can bake the brick at a low temperature and dry it out then use it in a zip lock with the camera. If the indicators show the moisture in the bag has come back up you can dry the silica gel and go again. Once the indicators stop changing you're done.

Chris Giles wrote:

Don't worry about the water, make sure the battery is out and it sits in a sealed container full of rice for a month.

The fiance washed her ipod nano for an hour and bag of rich took all the water out.

Salt is only an issue if it has a reagent, such as moisture. Remove that, remove the risk. The biggest damage will occur with the battery in place so remove that, sit for a month, try it then.

If the water can get in as a liquid it will easily come out as a vapour. Warm place, sealed container, covered in rice.

-- hide signature --

Phil Agur

5DMKII - 7D Dual Body Bag - Go 'L' and don't look back!

Got 7D? See http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3167

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
wskb
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
Re: Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
In reply to hotdog321, Apr 6, 2012

Just what I was thinking. All nicely suspicious and well timed for the 5D III release!! Good work!

hotdog321 wrote:

Safesphere
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?
Not an upgrade - a bit too early...

hotdog321 wrote:

It is not an upgrade, because Mark II is still sold by Canon and would be used by the insurance company as the exact replacement. He should have waited just a little longer...

carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,783Gear list
Like?
Re: Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Hope his wife bought the story.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads