60D or 7D?

Started Apr 6, 2012 | Discussions
friharbor
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
60D or 7D?
Apr 6, 2012

Hi all,

Upgrading from a Rebel XT camera. I am going back and forth between the 60D and 7D. Most of my pictures are landscape and family/vacation photos. I was able to handle a 60D today for a bit, but wondering from those who are more experienced than I, is the price difference of a 7D over a 60D worth it? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
AK

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
friharbor
Like?
Re: 60D or 7D?
In reply to friharbor, Apr 6, 2012

Also, would it be smart to buy the kit lens (EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Standard Zoom Lens), or just get the body and hand pick the lenses? I want a very good zoom lens for wildlife, and and good walkabout lens.
Thanks,
AK

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Calliope
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?

Both are great cameras. The reason I chose the 7D over the 60D was because my main goal was birds in flight and I wanted the higher frame rate and AF system. The 60D is also very capable of any kind of photography. The cheaper price will allow you to invest in some better lenses. The EF-S 15-85 is a wonderful and lightweight all purpose lens. I think you would be happy with either choice.

Calliope's gear list:Calliope's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
rickreyn
Contributing MemberPosts: 653Gear list
Like?

I have had much success with the 60D. You will be very happy with it, especially if you get the 15-85 lens. Check out hundreds of photos with a 60d and the 15-85mm on my website http://www.gloriography.com

I chose the 60d because I like the swivel screen and the fact that I didn't have to get Compact Flash cards. The 7d was also bigger, heavier and more expensive. But I would like one someday to do more sports photography.

Image quality is about the same in the 7D, 60d and T2i. Going from the Rebel you'll love the upgrades. I particularly like the level to get you horizon right. Just look at the photos. Nevertheless, I might have gotten a 7d looking back on it. But I have gotten some cool shots using the articulated screen.

rickreyn's gear list:rickreyn's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +6 more
Dinsy
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?
In reply to rickreyn, Apr 6, 2012

I chose the 60D over the 7D for the articulated screen, and it's been very useful for low and high angled shots. I'm able to set the camera up on my tripod, tilt the screen towards me, and fire away with my Hahnel remote, without getting into awkward squats and such.

I also hand-picked the lenses I wanted: the 15-85mm, 100mm macro IS, and 50mm f1.8. Very happy with them all. The 15-85 is excellent for landscapes.

Of course, the 7D doesn't have the articulated screen, but it has better autofocus, weatherproofing (that would be very useful for me, I quite often find myself in the rain!) and a faster frame rate, amongst other things.

friharbor
Like?
In reply to Dinsy, Apr 7, 2012

Thanks for the replies. Leaning towards the 7D with the EF-S 15-85 lens for my walkabout lens. However, I am still open to the 60D just because of the price. My last question is....I do love wildlife photography, but it is usually from a distance that I have to take those pics, such as of a grizzly in Glacier Nat'l Park, etc. What, in your opinion, is the best zoom lens for wildlife photography? Thanks in advance for your replies!

AK

steinr98
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
In reply to friharbor, Apr 7, 2012

One lens to consider as a walk around lens, is the 24-105(if you can afford it). It is one Sharp lens. It is heavier than the 15-85 but super sharp(depending on your personal goals). The 24 mm is a bit on the short side, however I have never found it to be a problem. In any event, I have shot 2 photos and stitched them together for a perfect wide scene. I rarely have done this tho- I shoot landscapes mostly.Unfortunately, the cost is almost as much as the camera itself but again- one super sharp lens!!
--
Steinr98

steinr98's gear list:steinr98's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +4 more
MI6gunny
Contributing MemberPosts: 518Gear list
Like?

18-200 is a nice focal length, it would serve your application fairly decently, but I would also advise something quick. Perhaps that EF 50mm f/1.8 II as a mid telephoto?
--
D. Fortune

MI6gunny's gear list:MI6gunny's gear list
Nikon D5000 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +3 more
MI6gunny
Contributing MemberPosts: 518Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dinsy, Apr 7, 2012

I chose the 60D over the 7D because I wanted a bit more resources to throw at getting lenses and it had most of the same features i.e. wireless flash commander mode, 5.3 fps, ISO 6400 capable, internal alluminum chassis. I also hand picked my lenses. I enjoy shooting shows so I chose the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 VC, the EF 50mm f/1.8 II (A must have if you shoot canon I think, for the money I have yet to see a lens beat it), and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM II. If I could have a rerun of that lens selection I would have bought the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 OS and went with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM mk. I and I think I would have added a macro lens or a set of exstension tubes to use the 70-200 as a macro lens. I do love the tilty swivelly screen. Like an earlier poster said, it does lend itself for some really cool shots. I think the 60D is a better option then the 7D as a travel camera as it is lighter but just about as quick. My friend has a 7D and I've played around with it. I don't think its worth the extra for me though I do shoot sports. I however tend to shoot almost like the old film cameras, 2-3 shots at the peak of the action and life is good.
--
D. Fortune

MI6gunny's gear list:MI6gunny's gear list
Nikon D5000 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +3 more
Rakumi
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,151
Like?

Not for what you use it for. The 60d is a great all around camera and with the difference you save, you could get a nice 17-50mm 2.8 OS by Sigma.
--

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

Rakumi
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,151
Like?

Best bang for buck lens for super reach with pretty decent results is the sigma 150-500mm OS lens. I would still suggest the 60d for the price. I do not think in your shooting style the 7d will make any difference other than in the pocket.
--

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

See-the-Light
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?

60d + 15-85 IS to start

friharbor wrote:

Hi all,

Upgrading from a Rebel XT camera. I am going back and forth between the 60D and 7D. Most of my pictures are landscape and family/vacation photos. I was able to handle a 60D today for a bit, but wondering from those who are more experienced than I, is the price difference of a 7D over a 60D worth it? Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
AK

kward
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?

friharbor wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Leaning towards the 7D with the EF-S 15-85 lens for my walkabout lens. However, I am still open to the 60D just because of the price. My last question is....I do love wildlife photography, but it is usually from a distance that I have to take those pics, such as of a grizzly in Glacier Nat'l Park, etc. What, in your opinion, is the best zoom lens for wildlife photography? Thanks in advance for your replies!

AK

I'd stick with the 60D unless you really needed the frame rate and autofocus of the 7D (high speed sports or birds in flight). The lower cost will let you get a better tele lens.

for a zoom lens, the 100-400L gets very good comments as does the 70-300L. I have the 70-300 IS non-L, which I think is a good value, but is less quality than the Ls (for a significantly lower price). If you don't want a zoom, the 400 5.6L is a good long reach prime (though I see you want a zoom).

If you don't need more than 200mm, the 70-200 f4L is a great low cost L, it really depends on how much you want to spend, and how much max reach you need. Do you want to spend $1500 for a lens, or more line $500-700 for a lens?

nick101
Contributing MemberPosts: 615Gear list
Like?
In reply to steinr98, Apr 7, 2012

steinr98 wrote:

One lens to consider as a walk around lens, is the 24-105(if you can afford it). It is one Sharp lens. It is heavier than the 15-85 but super sharp(depending on your personal goals). The 24 mm is a bit on the short side, however I have never found it to be a problem. In any event, I have shot 2 photos and stitched them together for a perfect wide scene. I rarely have done this tho- I shoot landscapes mostly.Unfortunately, the cost is almost as much as the camera itself but again- one super sharp lens!!
--
Steinr98

Great lens, but on a crop sensor, it equates to 38.5 - 163, which might be a bit long for walkaround.

nick101's gear list:nick101's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
friharbor
Like?
In reply to kward, Apr 7, 2012

Thanks for asking...my goal is to get 2 very good lenses along with the camera. For what I enjoy, on my last camera I had a walkabout lens and a solid zoom lens. I would prefer to stay between 800 and 1000 for each lens, plus the camera. That would fit in my budget. So I need to find out what the 2 "best" lenses would be that fit my shooting style and my budget.

AK

Calliope
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?

AK, Check out the 100-400L. I rented one and enjoyed having all that range in one lens. Unfortunately, it was just too big for me. I love my 70-300L for it's size and lighter weight. I can comfortably carry it all day. I just added a used 400mm 5.6 for days I really need that extra reach. I primarily use it on a monopod. I would suggest finding a place that rents lenses and check them out before you buy. It is a great way to get a true feel for the balance and weight and see the image quality they provide before making such a big investment. If there aren't any rentals in your area check out Samy's camera. http://www.samys.com/

I started out with the 15-85 and 70-300L and am very happy with having all that range in just two lenses. Both are very sharp and the IS is awesome.

Calliope's gear list:Calliope's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,686Gear list
Like?
Sounds like good advice. What about 3 lenses?
In reply to Calliope, Apr 7, 2012

The 70-300 L sounds like the best choice for that range and you could get a Tamron 17-50 as your walkaround lens. The 100-400 sounds like a bit of a hassle to be carrying around on hikes and the like.

There's no question the 7D is a great camera but you have to be honest with yourself and see if you really need the better AF and FPS.

If 200mm (320mm equivalent) were enough you could even be talking about a great three lens setup with the 70-200 f4, the 17-50 and the 10-22 for landscapes...

Have fun!

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads