Like?
Nikon D800: incredible detail - Photomatix Pro HDR processed and CS5 enhanced
Apr 5, 2012

-- hide signature --

Michel Bricteux

Michel Bricteux's gear list:Michel Bricteux's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon D3X +2 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
u007
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678
Like?
Re: Nikon D800: incredible detail - Photomatix Pro HDR processed and CS5 enhanced
In reply to Michel Bricteux, Apr 5, 2012

It might be detailed, but this HDR is kinda gross :-/

What's with the sky? Part is grey and weird with lines and scratches. The rest is white.

Masses of haloing purple fringes in the trees on the right.. yuck

And it's full of artifacts - like that weird line next to the bag held by the guy in the brown jacket. The pavement is weird and smudgy too, and more artifacts on the signs on the left.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LMCasey
Regular MemberPosts: 464Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D800: incredible detail - Photomatix Pro HDR processed and CS5 enhanced

Sorry, not my cup of tea either. I like realism.

LMCasey's gear list:LMCasey's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 350D Nikon D800 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +14 more
Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
In reply to u007, Apr 5, 2012

It seems that the left side of the building is kind of a wall painting... This photograph doesn't reveal anything particular about the D800 unfortunately.

u007 wrote:

What's with the sky? Part is grey and weird with lines and scratches. The rest is white.

And it's full of artifacts - like that weird line next to the bag held by the guy in the brown jacket. The pavement is weird and smudgy too, and more artifacts on the signs on the left.

Julian Vrieslander
Contributing MemberPosts: 919
Like?

OK, at this size it does not really demonstrate much about the D800. But I like the shot. Very cool wall painting. Thanks for sharing.

bbbinohio
Contributing MemberPosts: 961Gear list
Like?
Re:Bull-CRAP, IT'S GORGEOUS!!
In reply to Deleted-pending, Apr 5, 2012

It's an Absolutely GORGEOUS shot. (Some people just don't have an artistic eye, that's all.)

GREAT Work!!!

Thanks for posting and thanks for sharing!!!

WONDERFUL!!!

Bob from Ohio

bbbinohio's gear list:bbbinohio's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A +4 more
Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
In reply to bbbinohio, Apr 5, 2012

So, applying a heavy tone mapping filter makes any shot gorgeous ? I must have missed something in my artistic carrier...

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=clown+puke+HDR&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1920&bih=891&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&authuser=0&ei=4Sp-T_nJLpHJiQKHv_XyDQ

bbbinohio wrote:

It's an Absolutely GORGEOUS shot. (Some people just don't have an artistic eye, that's all.)

GREAT Work!!!

WONDERFUL!!!

Bob from Ohio

joecan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,432
Like?
oh boy...

Over processed image, the sky is suddenly turns white from blue at the edge of the building...
yuk...
Nice try, but try again...
Joe
http://joecan.smugmug.com/

arnolfibuss
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Re: oh boy...
In reply to joecan, Apr 5, 2012

The wall is painted, so is the sky... We call this "tromp l'oeil" in France.
I'm even not sure that the OP did so much tone mapping...

mrpevets
Regular MemberPosts: 162
Like?
I just think this photo is
In reply to arnolfibuss, Apr 6, 2012

Awesome

I absolutely love it!

I wish I could do something as interesting as it and print it on my new Epson 4900

Tell me

what are the steps to process this shot like the results we see here?

eternal camper

mac
mac
Regular MemberPosts: 376
Like?
Re: I just think this photo is
In reply to mrpevets, Apr 6, 2012

great photo of an amazing mural!

Derouyag
Contributing MemberPosts: 803Gear list
Like?
In reply to Deleted-pending, Apr 6, 2012

You have an artistic carrier... can you take a picture of the carrier for us? I had a carrier on my bike when i was a little boy, it was one of those little blue ones. Mom would have me carry the milk home from the store in it. i would love to see what an artistic one looks like. I am thinking rainbow colors... so cool.

FTH wrote:

So, applying a heavy tone mapping filter makes any shot gorgeous ? I must have missed something in my artistic carrier...

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=clown+puke+HDR&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1920&bih=891&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&authuser=0&ei=4Sp-T_nJLpHJiQKHv_XyDQ

bbbinohio wrote:

GREAT Work!!!

WONDERFUL!!!

Bob from Ohio

Derouyag's gear list:Derouyag's gear list
Nikon D200 Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +3 more
SkyDreamer
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
In reply to Derouyag, Apr 6, 2012

I wouldn't use the word "artistic", to avoid flames and other pointless discussions, but I like your picture, bravo. I don't like it for the detail but for the atmosphere.

DaiG
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?
In reply to SkyDreamer, Apr 6, 2012

I hadn't realise photomatix had included the capability for the D800 NEFs yet; was this a TIF you tone-mapped?

TITCHY
Senior MemberPosts: 1,005Gear list
Like?
technically ,not that good .
In reply to SkyDreamer, Apr 6, 2012

not wishing to insult the OP or the D800 ,that I concider to be a phenomenal camera ,I find the ghosting in the greenery on the extreme right to be distracting, to the point of it ruining the picture .

I have seen pictures of this scene before ,and i conclude that with the D800s capability (DR) this shot does not require HDR to pull it off, the sky was not apparently so bright and the rest of the scene was no where neer requiring HDR.

its a surreal and wonderful scene in its own right ,and allways look impressive .

I agree with a few of the above ,that it does nothing to showcase what the D800 is capeable of.

I would suggest taking the metered shot ,and create two files from it ,one pushed up a stop and one down , creating (with the original) 3 files, you should be able to get better results "HDR" by using the 3 or maybe just 2 of these files to create your new HDR, without the ghosting of the leaves . and elliminate any other possible motion ghosting in the picture too .
congrats on your new camera .

faterikcartman
Contributing MemberPosts: 506
Like?
What this guy said:
In reply to Deleted-pending, Apr 6, 2012

FTH wrote:

It seems that the left side of the building is kind of a wall painting... This photograph doesn't reveal anything particular about the D800 unfortunately.

u007 wrote:

SUPERHOKIE
Contributing MemberPosts: 961
Like?
depends on what you are trying to get
In reply to faterikcartman, Apr 6, 2012

I love the composition, but hate the effects.

If you were intentionally trying to make it look like a painting, then it's good.

Markymark1
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Re: when a photo becomes a painting
In reply to faterikcartman, Apr 6, 2012

Sorry but hdr used to that extent looks very unrealistic & it definitely looks like a painting !.......but thats just my view & I think that if you like it, then really, thats all that matters in the end......photography is a craft, an art & definitely in the eye of the beholder !......

5tve
Contributing MemberPosts: 638Gear list
Like?
Re: when a photo becomes a painting
In reply to Markymark1, Apr 6, 2012

Love the picture but it needs some work done on the right hand side another 10 minutes post processing the sky & the fringing on the leaves would make it look great.

5tve's gear list:5tve's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D7000
Peter Damroth
Contributing MemberPosts: 527Gear list
Like?
I like it!
In reply to bbbinohio, Apr 6, 2012

I like your shot very much...I'm also responding because so many people want to complain about things....this is depressing to read. Gang, try constructive criticism when you want to pass on a comment........Think GRACE.
--
Peter Damroth Photography

Peter Damroth's gear list:Peter Damroth's gear list
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n Nikon D300 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads