Hoping for an Olympus equivalent to the Panny 20mm lens

Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions
SammyToronto
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Hoping for an Olympus equivalent to the Panny 20mm lens
Apr 5, 2012

I've been shooting the epm1 + the panny 20mm lens for several months now and have found this combination capable of producing a stellar image quality. However, I've recently tried to shoot pics of my nephew and niece and found the slow focus of the panny to be a true problem when trying to keep up with kids indoors. I've never had such a hard time shooting kids with my Canon XT + Tamron 17-50; a combination not exactly renowned for lightening-quick focus yet it easily kept up with the kids producing in-focus pics 90% of the time (my gallery has a couple of those pics).

It's even worse when trying to take a video indoors where focusing REALLY struggles, even it very good light. It's a shame because, when in focus, the video captured is to die for and better than any camcorder I've owned.

I love the panny's focal length since it's great for taking indoor pics/videos of people, which is what I mostly do, so I hope Olympus produces an equivalent version with the MSC focusing mechanism and image quality of the phenomenal 45mm (which I'll probably also get). It doesn't even have to be a pancake lens; something the size of the 45mm would do nicely. Olympus, are you listening?

SammyToronto's gear list:SammyToronto's gear list
Canon EOS 350D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PL5
Olympus PEN E-PM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,485Gear list
Like?
Re: Hoping for an Olympus equivalent to the Panny 20mm lens
In reply to SammyToronto, Apr 5, 2012

If you are going to ask Oly that, you may as well ask Panny to just release an updated 20mm with modern AF... unless there is some reason you want Oly and not Panny to release it..

SammyToronto wrote:

I've been shooting the epm1 + the panny 20mm lens for several months now and have found this combination capable of producing a stellar image quality. However, I've recently tried to shoot pics of my nephew and niece and found the slow focus of the panny to be a true problem when trying to keep up with kids indoors. I've never had such a hard time shooting kids with my Canon XT + Tamron 17-50; a combination not exactly renowned for lightening-quick focus yet it easily kept up with the kids producing in-focus pics 90% of the time (my gallery has a couple of those pics).

It's even worse when trying to take a video indoors where focusing REALLY struggles, even it very good light. It's a shame because, when in focus, the video captured is to die for and better than any camcorder I've owned.

I love the panny's focal length since it's great for taking indoor pics/videos of people, which is what I mostly do, so I hope Olympus produces an equivalent version with the MSC focusing mechanism and image quality of the phenomenal 45mm (which I'll probably also get). It doesn't even have to be a pancake lens; something the size of the 45mm would do nicely. Olympus, are you listening?

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My cameras: GF1, TZ3, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky and my wife's old K110D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,323Gear list
Like?

SammyToronto wrote:

You should be manual focusing in the first place (for video). AF is fine for small sensor camcorders, but, a mess for large sensors.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
SammyToronto
Like?
In reply to Jogger, Apr 5, 2012

Jogger wrote:

SammyToronto wrote:

You should be manual focusing in the first place (for video). AF is fine for small sensor camcorders, but, a mess for large sensors.

I did and I'm not sure it's an entirely practical proposition, especially with a 'focus by wire' (and tiny) lens like the panny 20mm. If you can do it, good for you, but it certainly doesn't work for me.

SammyToronto
Like?
In reply to peppermonkey, Apr 5, 2012

I do prefer that the lens be from Olympus for the reasons I already mentioned (the focus speed/stellar image quality of Olympus's latest lenses), plus aesthetics (the larger circumference of the panny 20mm looks odd on the smaller epm1 lens flange). Having said that, if Panasonic built a lens that's exactly the same as the current panny 20mm but with a vastly improved focus mechanism I wouldn't be complaining too much since focus speed is my main concern with the current lens.

peppermonkey wrote:

If you are going to ask Oly that, you may as well ask Panny to just release an updated 20mm with modern AF... unless there is some reason you want Oly and not Panny to release it..

SammyToronto wrote:

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My cameras: GF1, TZ3, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky and my wife's old K110D

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,550Gear list
Like?

SammyToronto wrote:

Nothing wrong with the AF speed of that lens. See here:

http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/2011/7/5/olympus-e-p3-af-speed-and-responsiveness.html

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +18 more
bryanbrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 567
Like?

http://www.lenstip.com/335.4-Lens_review-Sigma_30_mm_f_2.8_EX_DN__Image_resolution.html

You might take a look at the Sigma 30mm. It is marginally sharper than the Panny 20mm in the center, the bokeh is better and the AF is faster.

It is larger and slower at 2.8, but it only costs $200.00.

tobias2003
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
Just get the Sigma 19mm lens, it has the AF speed of the most recent Oly lenses

Just get the Sigma 19mm lens, it has the AF speed of the most recent Oly lenses.

It is really good and quiet.

tobias2003's gear list:tobias2003's gear list
Samsung NX300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7 Olympus E-M1 Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +60 more
Kevdog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354Gear list
Like?
Pany 25mm

Yes, different focal length, but the focus is much faster, it's 1/2 brighter and just has that "something" that makes you love it. Great for kid photos!

Kevdog's gear list:Kevdog's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
peppermonkey
Like?
In reply to SammyToronto, Apr 6, 2012

Err...Aesthetics I can certainly understand but everything else? Just because it's an Oly wouldn't make anything Panny produce to be any less slower or have lesser optical qualities... The 20mm was one of the first lenses to come out for m43, and as such the AF is slow, just like Oly kit lenses were 'Slow', but in general, Panny doesn't bring out lenses that have poor optical qualities and as a whole I would think Panny still has the upper hand (albeit slight) on better optics (though Oly certainly is stepping up with wonderful lenses that are affordable as well). The modern lenses on either camps aren't slow so really there isn't a reason to pick one side over the other over AF speed.

As for size...well, if size is a problem, the Panny 14mm is still the smallest lens in the m43 camp while being a better lens than the Oly 17mm, the second smallest lens. Then again, the 17mm, just like the 20mm is an old lens and hence being slow.

Whatever the case, just because it's an Oly wouldn't make the lens smaller either.

Basically, these days, other than aesthetics (and if you want OIS or not) there really shouldn't be a reason why you would want a lens from one side or the other. Neither companies make slow autofocusing lenses these days, nor do they in general make lenses that are significantly better optically than the other, at least in the same price range.

SammyToronto wrote:

I do prefer that the lens be from Olympus for the reasons I already mentioned (the focus speed/stellar image quality of Olympus's latest lenses), plus aesthetics (the larger circumference of the panny 20mm looks odd on the smaller epm1 lens flange). Having said that, if Panasonic built a lens that's exactly the same as the current panny 20mm but with a vastly improved focus mechanism I wouldn't be complaining too much since focus speed is my main concern with the current lens.

-- hide signature --

Hubert

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +1 more
peppermonkey
Like?
Re: Pany 25mm
In reply to Kevdog, Apr 6, 2012

Oh, how I would love to get this lens...it does seem to have that special something that makes the photos pop...

Kevdog wrote:

Yes, different focal length, but the focus is much faster, it's 1/2 brighter and just has that "something" that makes you love it. Great for kid photos!

-- hide signature --

Hubert

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: Pany 25mm
In reply to Kevdog, Apr 6, 2012

Yes it is a good choice

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
ChrisDM
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,095
Like?
Olympus is lacking here for sure

I agree, I'm just moving over to M43 for my personal stuff (I am a professional photographer). And a camera like the EM5 just begs for a trifecta of fast primes, the most important one to me being the middle one. And it is the middle one Olympus is missing! Something around 20mm, with an aperture AT LEAST 1.8 or faster, with the build/performance/look of the 12 & the 45. That would be the dream set, but it looks like it is strangely just a dream at this point.

FYI I do own the Panny 20 as I just sold my GX1 to fund the EM-5. It will get me by until Olympus does the right thing. What a hole they have between 12 & 45. And with the way the EM-5 is selling it would seem they could sell a fast normal wide prime by the shiploads!

SammyToronto wrote:

-- hide signature --
Anders W
Like?
Re: Olympus is lacking here for sure
In reply to ChrisDM, Apr 6, 2012

ChrisDM wrote:

I agree, I'm just moving over to M43 for my personal stuff (I am a professional photographer). And a camera like the EM5 just begs for a trifecta of fast primes, the most important one to me being the middle one. And it is the middle one Olympus is missing! Something around 20mm, with an aperture AT LEAST 1.8 or faster, with the build/performance/look of the 12 & the 45. That would be the dream set, but it looks like it is strangely just a dream at this point.

FYI I do own the Panny 20 as I just sold my GX1 to fund the EM-5. It will get me by until Olympus does the right thing. What a hole they have between 12 & 45. And with the way the EM-5 is selling it would seem they could sell a fast normal wide prime by the shiploads!

And precisely what is wrong with the Panasonic 20/1.7? As shown here,

http://www.pekkapotka.com/journal/2011/7/5/olympus-e-p3-af-speed-and-responsiveness.html

its AF speed is roughly on a par with that of other MFT lenses, such as the recent 14-42 II R and the earlier 40-150. And, when mounted on a reasonably recent MFT body, it is faster than for example a Nikkor 85/1.4 D on a Nikon D3X.

It doesn't do AF-C (which is rarely be needed for a lens like this) and it makes a marginal sound when focusing (which only the photographer can hear and only if the surroundings are completely quiet). But that's about it.

I personally have no trouble whatsoever with mine, although I currently use it on a body with slower AF (the G1) than more recent MFT cameras.

SammyToronto wrote:

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +18 more
TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,185
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 6, 2012

I love all the people who are latecomers to m4/3 who diss the 20mm lens

Makes me laugh.

Having started with m4/3 since the start it is just one of those lenses I can't imagine not having in my bag.
--
terry
http://www.terrybanet.com

Anders W
Like?
In reply to TEBnewyork, Apr 6, 2012

TEBnewyork wrote:

Makes me laugh.

Having started with m4/3 since the start it is just one of those lenses I can't imagine not having in my bag.

Personally, I am uncertain of whether laughing or crying is the proper reaction. But we are certainly in agreement about the quality of this lens. The availability of this gem was one of the pertinent facts that made me take the plunge and switch from DSLR to MFT.

nxp3
Regular MemberPosts: 365
Like?

Yeah the 20mm is slow (i mean slow to focus), hard to take pictures of my kid cause he's very fast. Hope it's quicker on the em5 when I get the camera.
--
-bokehmokehshmokeh-

ChrisDM
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,095
Like?
In reply to TEBnewyork, Apr 6, 2012

If you're referring to me, and you read my post carefully, you'll notice I didn't "dis" the 20. In fact I said I own it, and I believe I said something to the fat that "it will do" until Oly completes the trifecta prime set. The Panasonic 20 is a very good lens for the money, but it is simply not on the same level as the fast Olympus primes. That, plus the fact that it would simply be nice to have an "all Olympus" set to run on the EM-5.

TEBnewyork wrote:

Makes me laugh.

--
terry

-- hide signature --
Anders W
Like?
In reply to ChrisDM, Apr 6, 2012

ChrisDM wrote:

If you're referring to me, and you read my post carefully, you'll notice I didn't "dis" the 20. In fact I said I own it, and I believe I said something to the fat that "it will do" until Oly completes the trifecta prime set. The Panasonic 20 is a very good lens for the money, but it is simply not on the same level as the fast Olympus primes. That, plus the fact that it would simply be nice to have an "all Olympus" set to run on the EM-5.

OK. So in precisely what sense is it not on the same level as the fast Olympus primes?

TEBnewyork wrote:

Makes me laugh.

--
terry

-- hide signature --
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 6, 2012

Anders W wrote:

TEBnewyork wrote:

Makes me laugh.

Personally, I am uncertain of whether laughing or crying is the proper reaction. But we are certainly in agreement about the quality of this lens. The availability of this gem was one of the pertinent facts that made me take the plunge and switch from DSLR to MFT.

. . . It was the 20/1.7 and 14-45 that made me choose the GF1 over the E-P2 back in 2010.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads