D4/800 green LCD cast: who does NOT have the problem?

Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions
DMT
DMT
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?
D4/800 green LCD cast: who does NOT have the problem?
Apr 5, 2012

I'm trying to get more info on whether this is a hardware component defect or something else, as well as a sense of how limited (or pervasive) the issue is. I have a D4 with the problem, and the dealer is seeing it with their other D4 and D800 units; currently waiting for a replacement with correct LCD color (with help from NPS). Very pleased with the dealer and NPS's service, but am hoping this thread can generate some USEFUL info for Nikon.

If you are familiar with the problem, please confirm if you have it or not by comparing to a D3-series, D700 or other Nikon body (the D7000 may be affected too, so older models are better). You can also compare NEFs on your camera LCDs vs your color-managed monitors. If someone has two D4s or D800s that are displaying color differently that would be a clincher.

Not all users will notice the issue initially, and then not all of those that recognize it will particularly care. But for some it is a major issue when mixing light sources and trying to balance the WB properly on camera (when tethering is not available, like at events); I am in that category, and have a 30-year background in color.

If we can confirm that multiple bodies (a majority?) are indeed rendering images properly on the LCD, then that would confirm that there is a bad component batch from a supplier (which means there will NOT be a firmware fix). Hopefully the defect is limited to a small percentage.

As an aside, other than this issue, it is far and away the best camera I have ever used and I'll happily get another once this is fully resolved. I'm comparing my D4 to a total pool of eight D3/S/X bodies (mine, my assistant's and another pro friend); only the D4 renders inaccurate color. The files themselves are gorgeous ; it's just the LCD,

Thanks in advance for your info and for (hopefully) keeping the thread focussed and on track. I intend to forward this to my contacts at Nikon if it's useful in order to help all of us.

DMT's gear list:DMT's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +12 more
Nikon D3 Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,099
Like?
Re: D4/800 green LCD cast: who does NOT have the problem?
In reply to DMT, Apr 5, 2012

D4 and D800 both work fine here.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DMT
DMT
Like?
In reply to Luke Kaven, Apr 5, 2012

And you are comparing directly to another pro body, same scene shot side-by-side? You will not really see the issue if you are not doing a direct comparison (and both your D4 and D800 might be matching each other because they have the same defect)...even the dealer (which has my body at the moment) said they "could not replicate the problem" compared to another D4...only when they compared to a D3 did they have a "oh...now I see it" reaction. Comparison of the LCD to a calibrated monitor also reveals it.

Extensive discussion about the problem is here and elsewhere on the web (with picture samples): http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=41049725

Nikon D4s Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +12 more
DMT
DMT
Like?

To be more clear:

I'm trying to gather rock-solid owner verifications in this thread of D4/D800 bodies that do NOT have the problem when compared directly to D3 or D700 series bodies (all settings and scene identical).

And an owner that has two new bodies that do NOT match each other would be a real clincher in demonstrating that there is a hardware defect.

Thanks.

gonzalu
Forum ProPosts: 10,339Gear list
Like?
My D800 actually has a yellow/warm cast on the LCD

especially when brightness level is set to auto. If set manually to +1 or +2 it is much improved but not perfect. My D3 is a lot cooler and more accurate to my eyes!
--
Manny
http://www.pbase.com/gonzalu/
http://www.thrustimages.com/
FCAS Member - http://fcasmembers.com/

gonzalu's gear list:gonzalu's gear list
RX100 III Nikon D3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,099
Like?

DMT wrote:

And you are comparing directly to another pro body, same scene shot side-by-side? You will not really see the issue if you are not doing a direct comparison (and both your D4 and D800 might be matching each other because they have the same defect)...even the dealer (which has my body at the moment) said they "could not replicate the problem" compared to another D4...only when they compared to a D3 did they have a "oh...now I see it" reaction. Comparison of the LCD to a calibrated monitor also reveals it.

Extensive discussion about the problem is here and elsewhere on the web (with picture samples): http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=41049725

My rear LCDs match my calibrated display in color. Only the D4 is calibrated. The uncalibrated D800 is a bit too bright. But the colors are accurate and there is no color cast.

DMT
DMT
Like?
In reply to Luke Kaven, Apr 5, 2012

Very good!

Anyone out there have matching D3 and D4 (or D700 and D800) LCDs side-by-side? Anyone with multiple new bodies that don't match each other?

jeminijoseph
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,725Gear list
Like?
I do have the issue on D4

and I know my friend's D800 have issue too..

LCD is not accurate. Pictures are generally yellowish and sometimes it's beautiful. But when you download the picture, it's not the same. This s obvious when I take picture early morning with warm light..

DMT wrote:

I'm trying to get more info on whether this is a hardware component defect or something else, as well as a sense of how limited (or pervasive) the issue is. I have a D4 with the problem, and the dealer is seeing it with their other D4 and D800 units; currently waiting for a replacement with correct LCD color (with help from NPS). Very pleased with the dealer and NPS's service, but am hoping this thread can generate some USEFUL info for Nikon.

If you are familiar with the problem, please confirm if you have it or not by comparing to a D3-series, D700 or other Nikon body (the D7000 may be affected too, so older models are better). You can also compare NEFs on your camera LCDs vs your color-managed monitors. If someone has two D4s or D800s that are displaying color differently that would be a clincher.

Not all users will notice the issue initially, and then not all of those that recognize it will particularly care. But for some it is a major issue when mixing light sources and trying to balance the WB properly on camera (when tethering is not available, like at events); I am in that category, and have a 30-year background in color.

If we can confirm that multiple bodies (a majority?) are indeed rendering images properly on the LCD, then that would confirm that there is a bad component batch from a supplier (which means there will NOT be a firmware fix). Hopefully the defect is limited to a small percentage.

As an aside, other than this issue, it is far and away the best camera I have ever used and I'll happily get another once this is fully resolved. I'm comparing my D4 to a total pool of eight D3/S/X bodies (mine, my assistant's and another pro friend); only the D4 renders inaccurate color. The files themselves are gorgeous ; it's just the LCD,

Thanks in advance for your info and for (hopefully) keeping the thread focussed and on track. I intend to forward this to my contacts at Nikon if it's useful in order to help all of us.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Jemini Joseph

http://www.wildbirdimages.com

Ayrshirephotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 360
Like?
Ambient light sensor?
In reply to jeminijoseph, Apr 5, 2012

Is this issue perhaps to do with a fault in the ambient light sensor for the LCD? If it is, ain't no amount of firmware is gonna fix it...Could be more set backs for Nikon?

-- hide signature --

"I come to this forum because it sucks less than the others."

russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,083Gear list
Like?

I have a UK D700 and my D800 came from Amazon Germany, serial number starts with a 6. To my eye side by side I don't see any colour cast on the LCD of the D800 next to my D700....

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
DvD5
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?
No problem here...

No color cast on my d800 LCD screen.

Don
--
http://www.dvd5.zenfolio.com

DMT
DMT
Like?
Re: No problem here...
In reply to DvD5, Apr 5, 2012

Russ, that's the direct side-by-side comparison that I'm hoping for. It confirms that it's a hardware defect.

More first-hand accounts like this (with specifics) appreciated, thanks.

Dave Courtenay
Contributing MemberPosts: 696Gear list
Like?
Re: No problem here...

My D800 has a green cast in daylight images but those taken at night with multi flash or those taken in my studio using studio lighting look fine so to me its not the screen but something to do when shooting in daylight, So i am hoping for a firmware upgrade
--
http://www.wildlifeinfocus.com

Dave Courtenay's gear list:Dave Courtenay's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR +9 more
johnlabbe
Regular MemberPosts: 312
Like?

Yes I have it, shot a job in the middle east and was showing the client, a bride the images from a d3 and d800 (same WB) at the event on the camera's LCD's, even she, the bride noticed her wedding dress color was off on the d800 pics, I had to explain and reassure her that the color was correct in the files, that it was a new camera and just an issue with the screen, but its something I shouldn't have to explain to a client.

I called nikon and reported the problem, they are aware of the issue, but please if you have the same issue call them, the more the calls the faster this might be corrected, hopefully its just a firmware fix

beside that, love this camera!

Cheers

DMT
DMT
Like?
In reply to johnlabbe, Apr 5, 2012

Yes, again that's very helpful info. Contacting Nikon is a good idea. My hope is that this thread is valuable enough that I can forward it to my contact at a high level...and it's shaping up that way.

Seems very unlikely that firmware is the solution, I'm afraid...more reports in this thread can corroborate that (some cameras are definitively fine compared directly to other Nikon bodies, others not).

I noticed that it did seem to be somewhat variable in how pronounced it was; might be worse with flash, not sure. Won't have my (defective) body back until next week (need it for jobs while this is sorted out).

Resul83
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
Yes - on 2x D800s

My D800 (3002xxx) and my friends D800 (3002xxx) both have greenish tint (as compared to the same shot from D90 LCD).

The files look fine in Lightroom.

Neutral Profile
Active-D OFF
NEF Lossy Compressed 12 Bit

Resul83's gear list:Resul83's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED
pacojdp
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?

The LCD of my D800 (6002xxx) had a greenish tint, as compared to the same shot from D300 LCD.

I returned the camera to the dealer. They had another D800 there. I copied some files to a different CompactFlash and reviewed the same pictures in both D800s side by side. They looked IDENTICAL to me, same green cast. Note that the serial numbers were very close. We took some pictures with a D800 and a D700 under not very controlled conditions (ie, Auto WB), and the D800 LCD kept showing green tint compared to the D700.

Currently waiting for a replacement.

I contacted Nikon Support Europe. They asked me to forward my query to Nikon Spain, which I did. No answer so far.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the camera the brief time I had it with me.

pacojdp's gear list:pacojdp's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +3 more
Bruce Bracken
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?
D4 - Yes, greenish tint

Hadn't noticed it before, but prompted by this thread, I took picture of same subject, with same in-camera settings, using Neutral picture control, and D-Lighting off.

Comparing the LCD on both my D4 and D700, the D4 does have a slight greenish hue to it.

I then loaded the image to my computer, and opened in both NX2 and Lightroom, and looking at image on calibrated monitor, compared to image on D4 LCD, and again, the greenish tint was seen on the D4 LCD but not computer LCD.

It's very subtle, but it's there - and now I can't trust judging color reproduction by the D4's LCD, which is a little disappointing on a $6500 camera.

I hope they can do a firmware or settings fix, because I don't want to have to send my 4 day old camera to the Nikon shop.

PS - My camera's serial number starts with a 2.

2wheel
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?

D4 and the screen is perfect.

-- hide signature --
EssexAsh
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?

ive seen it on mine but it seems to go away when i do a custom light balance with a grey card. D800.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads