Panasonic 12-35/2.8 - available end of June, £1,000

Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions
mfbernstein
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,518
Like?
Panasonic 12-35/2.8 - available end of June, £1,000
Apr 5, 2012

via 43rumors from Amateur Photographer (who has since removed the comments about the 12-35mm).

The good news is that we've only got a few more months to wait. The bad news is that the prices are going to be a step up compared to the 'high grade' line of 4/3 lenses. Heck, Canon's 24-70/2.8 is about the same price.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

'Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit.' - Ed Abbey

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic 12-35/2.8 - available end of June, £1,000
In reply to mfbernstein, Apr 5, 2012

mfbernstein wrote:

via 43rumors from Amateur Photographer (who has since removed the comments about the 12-35mm).

The good news is that we've only got a few more months to wait. The bad news is that the prices are going to be a step up compared to the 'high grade' line of 4/3 lenses. Heck, Canon's 24-70/2.8 is about the same price.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

But the other lenses are bigger

And what about the 35-100mm f/2.8 ?

I think they appear both at the same time

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?

mfbernstein wrote:

The proper comparison would be something like the Nikon 24-120/f4 or Canon 24-105.. even that will have a huge advantage in DOF.

For a direct comparison, the Panasonic's would have to be f1.4 constant aperture.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Xellz
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?
In reply to Jogger, Apr 5, 2012

It won't be proper comparison, canon f2.8 24-70 is right. This and olympus 60mm macro lens what i really want, but probably won't buy right away, when released. Both of them are rather high class and pricey.

Jogger wrote:

mfbernstein wrote:

The proper comparison would be something like the Nikon 24-120/f4 or Canon 24-105.. even that will have a huge advantage in DOF.

For a direct comparison, the Panasonic's would have to be f1.4 constant aperture.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to Xellz, Apr 5, 2012

Or with the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8

Xellz wrote:

It won't be proper comparison, canon f2.8 24-70 is right. This and olympus 60mm macro lens what i really want, but probably won't buy right away, when released. Both of them are rather high class and pricey.

Jogger wrote:

mfbernstein wrote:

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 5, 2012

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

I guess if you stop it down to f5.6.. who does that?

Xellz wrote:

Jogger wrote:

mfbernstein wrote:

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

-- hide signature --

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,031Gear list
Like?
Not everyone is so DOF obsessed

It's one factor amongst many. For everything other than shallow DOF, F2.8=F2.8.

Shallow DOF is expensive to match on 4/3, true... though not as expensive as buying a FF setup...

TrapperJohn's gear list:TrapperJohn's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?
Awesome, can't wait!

Will either/both have OIS? I hope not, but expect so.

Cheers

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Gregm61
Forum ProPosts: 13,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Not everyone is so DOF obsessed
In reply to TrapperJohn, Apr 5, 2012

The only thing Jogger is obsessed with is point out the error of our ways....constantly. Best just ignored.

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +11 more
mfbernstein
Like?

TrapperJohn wrote:

Shallow DOF is expensive to match on 4/3, true... though not as expensive as buying a FF setup...

Wrong. DoF can't be matched on 4/3. Even allowing a 1 stop difference, a 28-70/2.8 and FF camera can be had for significantly less than the price of a 14-35/2 lens.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

mfbernstein
Like?

Jogger wrote:

mfbernstein wrote:

It is what it is. There will never be f/1.4 (or even f/2.0) zooms for m4/3. I (and most others) are okay with that. Would be nice if they didn't charge FF prices, though I seriously doubt the initially price-points will hold.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

Jeremy_T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?

mfbernstein wrote:

Yeah, this pricing is very disappointing and honestly surprising to me. The Four Thirds 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 mk ii is f/2.8 throughout this range and costs half as much - ugh.

For this price I'd expect f/2. What a stinker.

Jeremy_T's gear list:Jeremy_T's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II
GarageBoy
Contributing MemberPosts: 854
Like?

I want the lens cause of the near 2 stops it has over the hit lens

When you're wide open (F4.something in the middle of the range), braced on a not so solid lamp post/parking sign post, ISO3200, wishing you had a tripod, every stop counts

Plus, low light video rocks

This took about 6 tries

No way an F2 and faster zoom is going to happen without a steep price tag

mfbernstein
Like?
In reply to Jeremy_T, Apr 5, 2012

Jeremy_T wrote:

mfbernstein wrote:

Yeah, this pricing is very disappointing and honestly surprising to me. The Four Thirds 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 mk ii is f/2.8 throughout this range and costs half as much - ugh.

Actually, I think the 14-54II hits f/3.2 around 35mm, so it's 1/3 stop slower. Still, point well taken.

The real limitation with the 14-54II is that the sluggish AF.

I was hoping for something in the $700-800 range. My guess would be that the prices will drift down over time from their initial states. But probably not enough to reach those levels.

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

Michael Kaufman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,447Gear list
Like?

mfbernstein wrote:

Wrong. DoF can't be matched on 4/3. Even allowing a 1 stop difference, a 28-70/2.8 and FF camera can be had for significantly less than the price of a 14-35/2 lens.

Maybe, but I'm guessing that the FF camera + 28-70/2.8 will be a much larger package then the MFT one.

Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Xellz
Regular MemberPosts: 371
Like?

Sigh, not everyone cares so much about eq. of FF dof or is a razor thin dof maniac. I'm not interested when only some parts of face are in focus. Like when you focus on eyes and nose is already getting out of focus. F2.8 is F2.8, it gathers same amount of light and will be good alternative to primes for not so good lighting conditions with adequate dof control.

p.s. maybe this idea is new to you, but people do stop to f5.6 and even more. There are plenty of photography situations that requires as much as possible dof or at least when it's necessary to stop down.

Jogger wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

I guess if you stop it down to f5.6.. who does that?

Xellz wrote:

Jogger wrote:

mfbernstein wrote:

-- hide signature --

MFBernstein

-- hide signature --

DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031Gear list
Like?

Unless it got some amazing sharp contrasty optics seems overpriced to me.

DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Aleo Veuliah
Like?

TrapperJohn wrote:

I am one of them, I am not DOF obsessed, in fact I prefer the DOF we get with Micro 4/3 with any focal

-- hide signature --

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Awesome, can't wait!
In reply to Brian Mosley, Apr 5, 2012

You can always turn it off

Brian Mosley wrote:

Will either/both have OIS? I hope not, but expect so.

Cheers

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

-- hide signature --

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to Jeremy_T, Apr 5, 2012

Jeremy_T wrote:

mfbernstein wrote:

The price is natural on this kind of lenses, I was not surprised

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads