Canon FD 50mm f1.4 on Canon DSLR with Reverse Mount Adapter

Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions
Safelight
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Canon FD 50mm f1.4 on Canon DSLR with Reverse Mount Adapter
Apr 5, 2012

I recently got a Reverse Mount Adapter for my old Canon FD 50mm lens to use with my Canon DSLR camera. Works fine but I can't figure out how to change the aperture. Trying everything from 1.4 to 16 seems to always keep the aperture wide open. Makes it very tricky to keep focus. I'm guessing there's some pin that needs to be pushed for the aperture to actually change. Any ideas?

Thanks!

photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,098
Like?
Re: Canon FD 50mm f1.4 on Canon DSLR with Reverse Mount Adapter
In reply to Safelight, Apr 5, 2012

Safelight wrote:

I recently got a Reverse Mount Adapter for my old Canon FD 50mm lens to use with my Canon DSLR camera. Works fine but I can't figure out how to change the aperture. Trying everything from 1.4 to 16 seems to always keep the aperture wide open. Makes it very tricky to keep focus. I'm guessing there's some pin that needs to be pushed for the aperture to actually change. Any ideas?

Thanks!

FD lenses have to be "mounted" to stop down.

For some reason, the mount ring is couple to the aperture ring, probably to ensure that the aperture is full open when mounting so as to get the right settings for the automatic exposure control.

So, what you have to do is trigger the mount. There is a small lever that gets pushed when you mount the lens. You can trigger it with something small, and then rotate the mount ring completely. (depends which FD version you have, either the silver ring that turns, or the whole lens turns). Further, you need to lock the lever that closes the aperture when you take a picture into the closed position. This sort of rectangular lever that sticks out a bit can normally be locked in the closed down position by hand.

With the lens then in manual aperture position, the aperture should now close and open, as you turn the aperture ring. If you turn the mount, you will see that aperture also open/close, so the two are linked.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Safelight
Like?
In reply to photonius, Apr 5, 2012

Great. Will give it a go. Thanks very much!

meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,329
Like?

Other than the manual method previously described the 'official' way at the time FD lenses were manufactured was to either use a Canon Macro Hood, or the Canon Manual Diaphragm Adapter.

The former was essentially an FD rear lens cap with the back cut out of it and the manual diaphragm adapter was a small piece of plastic with a slot in it to hold the FAD pin across and allow the lens to close to the selected aperture. I doubt either are available now although a google or eBay search might throw up something if you are very lucky.

However if you can get an old FD rear lens cap you could modify that yourself which would make rotating the FD lens mount easier and protect the vulnerable rear element of the lens when you are working close to the subject.

Safelight
Like?

Thanks again! I was able to get it to work with your instructions.

Safelight
Like?
In reply to meland, Apr 5, 2012

Thanks very much. I was able to get it to work the manual way but I can see how a DIY rear lens cap would be much easier. And I'll keep an eye out for the FD macro hood.

photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,098
Like?

Safelight wrote:

Thanks very much. I was able to get it to work the manual way but I can see how a DIY rear lens cap would be much easier. And I'll keep an eye out for the FD macro hood.

one thing you easily can find on ebay, which will do a similar job, is a FD to EOS macro adapter ( without glass). You can then use the lens also the other way, but without infinity focus, it's like a short extension tube.

-- hide signature --

Life is short, time to zoom in ©

Peter Kwok
Senior MemberPosts: 2,144Gear list
Like?
Did you say "Reverse Mount"?

Did you say "Reverse Mount", as putting the front of the lens towards the camera body and point its rear towards the subject? Some people do this to get very close focus, beyond 1:1 magnification ratio.

In this case, all the mechanical levers on the rear of the lens are exposed. One of them would close the diaphragm. The problem is holding it close while you shoot.
--
Peter Kwok
http://www.pbase.com/peterkwok
WYSIWYG - If you don't like what you get, try to see differently.

Peter Kwok's gear list:Peter Kwok's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Safelight
Like?
Re: Did you say "Reverse Mount"?
In reply to Peter Kwok, Apr 5, 2012

Peter Kwok wrote:

Some people do this to get very close focus, beyond 1:1 magnification ratio.

Yes, that's why I'm using it this way.

In this case, all the mechanical levers on the rear of the lens are exposed. One of them would close the diaphragm.

Yes but there some additional manual trickery involved for the FD lenses to allow changing the aperture.

Safelight
Like?

photonius wrote:

one thing you easily can find on ebay, which will do a similar job, is a FD to EOS macro adapter ( without glass). You can then use the lens also the other way, but without infinity focus, it's like a short extension tube.

I see. Makes sense as it'll give me the manual aperture control. Thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads