iMac memory upgrade

Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions
Jim Inverso
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
iMac memory upgrade
Apr 5, 2012

Do any iMac users have experience with memory upgrade. I just got the iMac 27-in 3.4Ghz with 4GB ram. (long time PC user). Tried to install Mushkin 16GB but would not boot. Reinstalled a few times with aid to tech support -- no luck. Reinstalled original 4GB and machine runs fine.

What 3rd party memory upgrade does anyone suggest. Also, can I use all 4 slots with 8GB sticks for a total of 32GB or is there a limit?

Thanks, Jim

Jim Inverso's gear list:Jim Inverso's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +9 more
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,106
Like?
Re: iMac memory upgrade
In reply to Jim Inverso, Apr 5, 2012

Most of the time, the 'preferred' vendors for compatible memory are crucial.com or macsales.com

Both have long history w/ Macs vs. some generic 'maybe it'll work' RAM.

Modern Macs can take to 32G

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steven VW
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?

I replaced the 4GB in my MacBook Pro by 16GB 'macmemory' from Corsair. No problem whatsoever. Paid €109 for it. I then put the 4GB that I took out of it in my iMac, and that's running fine too!

I thought my MacBook would only go to 16GB (Apple even states only 8GB in the specifications, but that is due to the fact that there were no 8GB modules available at the time of publishing)

dbbarron
Regular MemberPosts: 293
Like?
In reply to Steven VW, Apr 5, 2012

I upgrade my 27" iMac from 4Gb to 16Gb with a kit from macsales.com. So did my dad. Both worked flawlessly. I have no affiliation with macsales.com other than as a customer.

db

Peter Rongsted
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Apr 5, 2012

Howard Moftich wrote:

Most of the time, the 'preferred' vendors for compatible memory are crucial.com or macsales.com

crucial.com has a hardware scanner that will show exactly what modules will fit your iMac

Both have long history w/ Macs vs. some generic 'maybe it'll work' RAM.

And both are good vendors. Go with the one thats cheapest

Peter

Peter Rongsted's gear list:Peter Rongsted's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-500 Nikon D700 +35 more
dccymbor
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?

Used this kit on two different macs (2009 models). Both run flawlessly

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PS9UKW/ref=wms_ohs_product

Gazphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 140
Like?
In reply to dccymbor, Apr 6, 2012

Order two of these which will give you four cards of 4GB each card for a total of 16GB. The guy at the Apple store told me about this and saved me a lot of money over buying the Apple memory upgrade.

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=CEB1ACF0A5CA7304

johnny_r
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?
In reply to Jim Inverso, Apr 6, 2012

I purchased my iMac ram from new egg.

They are an exceptional company to deal with.

Regards,
John

Farmerjack
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
In reply to Jim Inverso, Apr 6, 2012

Make sure the RAM is pushed all the way in. You need to push hard to insert it all the way. Its best if you lay a towel down and put the I-Mac upside down and against a wall so it does not move when you push the RAM in. Worth a try.

Bob

M Colyer
Regular MemberPosts: 261Gear list
Like?
Re: iMac memory upgrade - worked a treat.
In reply to Farmerjack, May 14, 2012

Just upgraded my 4Gig memory on my 21.5" 2010 iMac to 12Gig with Crucial.com memory. Worked a treat. Simply installed the new memory in the 2 primary slots and put the old memory in the secondary slots. No longer get the dramatic speed reduction associated with high RAM use when using iPhoto, LR etc. Still uses a lot of RAM but now have some spare RAM left over.

Can empty RAM periodically by using Terminal. Simply type in "purge" (without the commas), and press Enter. Not a lot of people know that!!

M Colyer's gear list:M Colyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Hughineugene
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
In reply to Jim Inverso, May 14, 2012

I added memory for two iMacs and have to echo what was said previously about trying again with the memory you have. I almost gave up, and both times I had a tough time getting things to work until I pushed as hard as I could, heard an odd sound, then tried it, and that was what worked.
I made sure I had it all aligned..

iMacdaddy
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to dccymbor, May 15, 2012

I second that. I just ( last week ) updated my iMac with the same RAM. Worked without a issue.

gaussian blur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,767
Like?
Re: iMac memory upgrade - worked a treat.
In reply to M Colyer, May 15, 2012

M Colyer wrote:

Can empty RAM periodically by using Terminal. Simply type in "purge" (without the commas), and press Enter. Not a lot of people know that!!

Which is is a good thing since doing that for no reason is a really bad idea. All it does is empty the disk cache, which means that anything that was in the cache will need to be reread from the disk, and that is going to be a whole lot slower.

Jen Yates
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328
Like?
In reply to Jim Inverso, May 15, 2012

What's the config of your 16GB kit? Can you install it as a 2x4GB to see if some of it's dead?

Check what you ordered, see if the spec is EXACTLY what you need in your iMac.

Check what they delivered, make sure it's what you ordered.

If you have no luck, then I'm a +1 for Crucial. I've been buying direct RAM from them for many a year and have never ever had an issue (I've even returned stuff ordered and not needed).

EricWN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,270
Like?
In reply to Farmerjack, May 15, 2012

Farmerjack wrote:

Make sure the RAM is pushed all the way in. You need to push hard to insert it all the way. Its best if you lay a towel down and put the I-Mac upside down and against a wall so it does not move when you push the RAM in. Worth a try.

Bob

I think he knows how to upgrade RAM since the post says the original RAM was put back in the machine and works.

Hughineugene
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
In reply to EricWN, May 15, 2012

And I knew how to replace the original ram, but was lacking in confidence to retry. I was encouraged to do so on a Mac site, and am just relaying that advice, that worked well for me.

The original ram goes in and out like it was greased, but both times I put in iMac ram I really had to push like heck. Something that is normally not a good idea in electronics, but in both my previous Macs had to be done. It was almost as if the added spaces for ram were slightly different than for the original ram, or third party ram is a tiny bit wider.

Hugh

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads