SU800 vrs SB900

Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions
Jord
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
SU800 vrs SB900
Apr 5, 2012

Is the any advantage of using the SU800 to trigger remote flash as opposed to just using an SB900 as the trigger?

I normally run with pocket wizards but they are not working with the D4 very well and until they are updates was just thinking of the best work around. I already have several SB900 but would need to buy a SU800 - but if it is a lot better it may be worth it.

Also when using the SB900 as a controller the flash still fires - does anyone know if the is a way of turning this off? I'm presuming no!

Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
garyb1985
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Re: SU800 vrs SB900
In reply to Jord, Apr 5, 2012

The flash has to fire to set of the IR pulse to trigger other flashes.

Therefore the downside is if you have a 'blinker' for a subject you run the risk of many shots with closed eyes :/

Upside is you can use the on board 900 for a bit of fill-in if you so wish

-- hide signature --

Light is Light, its what you do with it that counts

http://www.gbmultimedia.co.uk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chas P
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?

Turn the onboard flash to "--" in the commander menu to remove it's contribution (except at very close range or High ISO where it's noticeable) or use FP Sync and shutter speeds over 1/320th if you need to eliminate it altogether.

Firing flashes in manual mode or using fv/lock will reduce the possibility of getting the aforementioned blinkers. TTL seems to be the worst culprit there.
I never tried an SU800 so can't comment.

Oh - you may find that using a piece of exposed film to gel the onboard will reduce it's contribution and still allow IR communication.. It's something I've read about but not tried myself.
--
Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8189967@N04/

Chas P's gear list:Chas P's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +2 more
directo
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?

It's lighter - and well, cheaper than another "real' flash unit.

When I want to use all my other flashes off camera, I use the SU. When I don't need all the other ones, it's handy to use an SB to trigger.

Jord
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
In reply to directo, Apr 5, 2012

So by the sound of it the is no increase in effective range by using the SU800.

I'll just save the money and use a SB900 until pocket wizard sorts the firmware.

Thank you everyone.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads