Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions
kristoffel
Regular MemberPosts: 347
Like?
55-210 or 18-200 or tamron 18-200 ?
Apr 5, 2012

So, if money is not the biggest issue
what would you buy ?
sony 55-210, sony 18-200 or tamron 18-200 ?

Is the sony 18-200 the best lens?

I plan on using it for city photography and some slight telezooming and trips to the zoo etc...

The tamron doesn't cost much less and does it have any advantages over the sony actually ?

HappyBABA
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Or LA-EA2 w/ A mount
In reply to kristoffel, Apr 5, 2012
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
Re: 55-210 or 18-200 or tamron 18-200 ?

kristoffel wrote:

So, if money is not the biggest issue
what would you buy ?
sony 55-210, sony 18-200 or tamron 18-200 ?

Is the sony 18-200 the best lens?

I plan on using it for city photography and some slight telezooming and trips to the zoo etc...

The tamron doesn't cost much less and does it have any advantages over the sony actually ?

I have the 55-210 and like it because of its size. From most everything I have read the Sony 18-200 is the way to go, but it is bigger than the Tamron and the price just went up $100.00 as of April the first.

I have a few 18mm to 200 lenses for my Pentax and like them as a one lens carry option.

As far as the NEX is concerned, I'm kinda waiting to see what some other third party lens manufactures come out with as well as what Sony have planned.

Being the NEX system has caught on so well I would not be surprised if we don't start seeing much more e-series lenses in the very near future.

wll

Quantic
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
In reply to wll, Apr 5, 2012

I bought a 55-210 and replaced it 2 weeks later with a 18-200, I much prefer this setup. The 18-200 is bigger but because of it being wider and not longer I found the 55-210 and 18-55 to be more of a hassle to carry and swap.

I have been surprised by the lack of lenses available, this isn't a whine or a moan, I am actually very happy with my setup and doubt i would even buy more lenses, its more of a "I'm surprised more lens companies are not wanting to jump on this popularity of these cameras and make money.."

Kind of makes me wonder if it is more difficult to engineer a lens for the nex compared to producing them for other camera's, can't believe we have not seen a flood of third party lenses.

Frag
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219
Like?
In reply to Quantic, Apr 5, 2012

I originally had the Tamron 18-200 and sold it in favor of the SEL18-200. While I did prefer the size of the Tamron the zoom was so stiff there was no way to zoom while looking through the viewfinder.

kristoffel
Regular MemberPosts: 347
Like?
In reply to Frag, Apr 5, 2012

Frag wrote:

I originally had the Tamron 18-200 and sold it in favor of the SEL18-200. While I did prefer the size of the Tamron the zoom was so stiff there was no way to zoom while looking through the viewfinder.

were you using it with a nex 7 ?

SandyKHo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,503Gear list
Like?
I was in the same quandary

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the same quandary. I ended up choosing the Tamron 18-200. Below is a link to the great feedback I received that helped me to make a decision:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&message=40884172

-- hide signature --

God gave us an incredible world. See it, hear it, Touch it, taste it, smell it, PHOTOGRAPH IT!

SandyKHo's gear list:SandyKHo's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO +12 more
dbose
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?

I went with the 55-210 thinking/hoping/praying that sony or someone will come out with an 18-250 or 270 in the near future. It was this way with the a-mount 18-200 first 18-250 couple years later. Hard to know without any real roadmap
Dave

wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?

Quantic wrote:

I bought a 55-210 and replaced it 2 weeks later with a 18-200, I much prefer this setup. The 18-200 is bigger but because of it being wider and not longer I found the 55-210 and 18-55 to be more of a hassle to carry and swap.

I have been surprised by the lack of lenses available, this isn't a whine or a moan, I am actually very happy with my setup and doubt i would even buy more lenses, its more of a "I'm surprised more lens companies are not wanting to jump on this popularity of these cameras and make money.."

Kind of makes me wonder if it is more difficult to engineer a lens for the nex compared to producing them for other camera's, can't believe we have not seen a flood of third party lenses.

QuNTIC,

I think third party lens manufactures are hard at work on E lenses. The NEX system is very popular and is getting more so day by day. There are two or three Sony movie cameras that use this mount and Carl Zeiss just today announces cine lenses for the E-mount.

I think we will see a host of lenses in the very near future. Sigma's 19mm and 30mm according to what I've seen on this forum are in major demand and are top quality, especially at their price point !

wll

adi9
Contributing MemberPosts: 836
Like?

If you chose 55-210 you need to have 2 lenses with you.55 is much to tele for normal use.

Between Sony and Tamron:

First Sony increased officially the price by $100 starting Aprol 1 on all markets. This is not a temporary increase, which makes Tamron $100 more atractive than it was

Sony lens is bigger but has an active stabilization mode in video (for photos does not make difference). From what I read PQ and everything else is very close between Sony and Tamron lens.

Also Tamron lens had a glitch in pano mode which is now fixed in firmware (but lenses already in retail most likely do not have the fix as is to minor to triger a recall).

adi9
Contributing MemberPosts: 836
Like?
In reply to dbose, Apr 5, 2012

I don't think there is a new superzoom in the near future (2-3 years at least) from Sony. There is a G zoom coming but this will be in the current kit zoom range or maybe up to 80 but no more.

However somebody else may jump in, maybe Sigma (Tamron will not come soon with another superzoom).

mswlogo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
Re: I was in the same quandary
In reply to SandyKHo, Apr 5, 2012

SandyKHo wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, I was in the same quandary. I ended up choosing the Tamron 18-200. Below is a link to the great feedback I received that helped me to make a decision:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&message=40884172

-- hide signature --

God gave us an incredible world. See it, hear it, Touch it, taste it, smell it, PHOTOGRAPH IT!

I'm curious what in that thread made you lean towards the Tamron. It seems to lean towards the Sony SEL18200.

I just ordered the Tamron 18-200 myself and should have it tomorrow. I won't have the sony SEL18200 to compare though.

The Panorama issue is not a big deal. Panorama is cool, but it's only JPEG and low resoultion. If I wanted a seriouly good Panorama I'd do it in raw and stitch them in post.

Panorama's don't work well on places like Flickr either. And need special handling for printing as well.

I don't do that much Video but it sure would be nice to have that Steady Shot mode of the Sony in teh Tamron. But not at the cost of the weight, size and cost.

With the 16mm the Nex-7 is still a "Jacket Pocket" camera.

With the 18-55mm the Nex-7 is a lightweight fanny pack camera (Won't bog you down on say a hike)

With the Sony SEL18-200mm the Nex-7 is back in DSLR land and hard to convince myself why I gave up a big DSLR for it. It's a nice option have when you need it.
With the Tamron 18-200mm the Nex-7 stays a light weight fanny pack camera.

With the Tamron you get 80% of what the Sony would give you. But it stays a "smallish" camera.

I also read a bunch of reviews on Amazon and BH on the Tamron. Lots of great reviews even with couple that owned the Sony SEL18200.

Most reviews say IQ is the same on stills.

The dust issue raised on Tamron and the quality control concerns me.

We'll see.

gfrensen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,627
Like?

Quantic wrote:

First Nex lenses have to be sdesigned from the bottum up. Due to the short flange distanc there is no way you can easely adapt a dslr lens and not have a lens with build in adapter, the lens has to be optimized for CDAQF too. Then Sony just give free the E-mount specs for lens builders a year ago, it takes time to design lenses.

And don't forget that the mirrorlesscameras are just comming, way more DSLRs are sold and in the hands of photographers then mirrorless are. So to make profit it is harder with mirrorless cameras.

Don't forget that there mirrorless cameras are mostly sold to P&S upgraders, who don't need or want a lot of lenses, just good pictures... Unlike pros and advanced amatures, they seldombuy a lensfor their camera.

SandyKHo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,503Gear list
Like?
In reply to mswlogo, Apr 6, 2012

To mswlogo:

My original quandary was whether to get the 55-210 or an 18-200. When I decided I didn't want to change lenses all the time and 55mm was not wide enough, I made up my mind to get an 18-200. There were three things that tipped the scale in favor of the Tamron for me over the Sony. #1, I already own a 62mm polarizer and UV filter, so I wouldn't need to buy a larger size. #2, the Tamron is slightly smaller and more compact, and #3 the price difference.

I guess I just thought that "Steady Shot" was Sony's term for stabilization, like Tamron's "Vibration Control", so I didn't know the Tamron was missing anything in that department.

-- hide signature --

SandyKHo's gear list:SandyKHo's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO +12 more
Stflbn
Contributing MemberPosts: 977Gear list
Like?
In reply to kristoffel, Apr 6, 2012

My quandary is that Ive had a 55210 and and wanted a bit more quality. So went to an 18200. Then realize that I prefer primes for smaller lenses, and just sold the 18200.

I have a oly 100, Minolta 135, kiron 100 macro, and Minolta 300 just because I like them better than zooms and don't want to go to a ea1/2 adapter.

I really wish there were better long options past 50mm in e-mount. 85, 100, 135, 200.

I'

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony SLT-A58 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +14 more
Senaca
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?
In reply to kristoffel, Apr 6, 2012

For an all-rounder (city etc), the 18-200 is pretty convenient, from what I understand.

It depends on your own values, though... Personally, I have the 18-55 and 55-210, and carry both in a pretty small case. I don't use the tele very often, as I find it doesn't suit my needs in the city or landscape. I'll use it for snapping shots of animals, or for portraits. Otherwise, I tend to stick to the kit lens.

If you think you'll use the tele portion a lot, and more importantly, mixed in with wide/normal angle shots, then then 18-200s are great. They are bigger and heavier, but it beats switching them (or not getting the shots you want because you're tired of switching lenses every few minutes!).

I find city shots don't tend to go over 55mm as often as I thought they would. I'm glad I went with the 55210 as it is much cheaper and easy to pick a lens for a certain shoot (or bring both and swap if a shot is worthwhile). It's considerably less cumbersome on my little 5N, as well.

So you see, there's no right or wrong answer... simply what will work best for you. Hope my experience adds some insight for your consideration.

mswlogo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
In reply to SandyKHo, Apr 7, 2012

SandyKHo wrote:

To mswlogo:

My original quandary was whether to get the 55-210 or an 18-200. When I decided I didn't want to change lenses all the time and 55mm was not wide enough, I made up my mind to get an 18-200. There were three things that tipped the scale in favor of the Tamron for me over the Sony. #1, I already own a 62mm polarizer and UV filter, so I wouldn't need to buy a larger size. #2, the Tamron is slightly smaller and more compact, and #3 the price difference.

I guess I just thought that "Steady Shot" was Sony's term for stabilization, like Tamron's "Vibration Control", so I didn't know the Tamron was missing anything in that department.

-- hide signature --

It's my understanding that the SEL18200 has two forms of Steady Shot in that lens. One mode optimized for stills and another mode optimized for video.

I just got the Tamron. So far so good. I might have to buy the Sony to compare.

To me the Tamron does not look plastic or cheap. I'd swear some of it is metal.

I don't find any of the quirks mentioned in various threads. Although I have not had it long.

Focusing seems quiet.

Focus ring is nice and smooth, Much like the Sony Kit Lens.

Zoom ring does not seem stiff or loose. I can zoom fine while looking through view finder on Nex-7.

The zoom lock seems a bit weird. It moves very little only adds some resistance.

A couple times it didn't want to auto focus when I thought it should.

Here is photo for size comparison with 18-55. A little more than a "few mm" longer when collapsed, I'd say.

Jury is still out on sharpness.

EDIT: I just figured out the zoom lock. It has to be fully collapsed and in has a nice click and turns red and the zoom won't budge. It's not made for locking partial zoom.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads