Fuji X Pro1 + Voigtlander 15mm

Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions
chekist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,381Gear list
Like?
Fuji X Pro1 + Voigtlander 15mm
Apr 5, 2012

One of the main reasons why I got X Pro was the fact that I can use it with a wider range of M-mount glass than NEX-7. And by that I mean that one was supposed to be able to use it with wide angle lenses. One of the best examples of such lens is Voigtlander 15mm - it is optically excellent and has very good contrast.

Today I finally got my X Pro and had a chance to try it out with Voigtlander via Kipon adapter. No great shots to show off, but I did test for color cast - which was extreme with NEX-7. I would say that from my experience it is about as good as NEX-5, but not nearly as good as Ricoh GXR. So at first glance it appears that it is a descent camera for RF lenses, but not anything special.

And of course white paper shot... Not quite white since did not attach a flash. Even though in the shot below color cast is clearly seen, in field use this would not be a huge factor for me, as can be seen in the image above. But probably I would not go as far as Voigtlander 12mm - this would be too much.

More testing tomorrow...

-- hide signature --
 chekist's gear list:chekist's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Sony RX100 II Olympus PEN E-PL1 +2 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Shin Matsunaga
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Re: Fuji X Pro1 + Voigtlander 15mm
In reply to chekist, Apr 5, 2012

The 12mm is less prone to color cast than the 15.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
chekist
Like?
In reply to Shin Matsunaga, Apr 5, 2012

My impression was that it was more. But I never have done head-to-head test, so perhaps you are correct. This site also seem to indicate that 12 has more:

http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?p=78
--
--
Eugene
http://fratkinphoto.com

Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Sony RX100 II Olympus PEN E-PL1 +2 more
oistar
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?

I think we will have to wait for the official Fujifilm M adapter. I doubt they spend 6 months researching and engineering an adapter which kipon released after a few days. It will probably have some magic in it.

SeeRoy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,475Gear list
Like?
In reply to oistar, Apr 5, 2012

On the FM site the performance of the camera with this lens mounted seems to be the only thing anyone's interested in. Bizarre.
Roy

Milkman
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?

I have the 15mm Voigtlander and the Ricoh GXR. It does perform better on the Ricoh. Much sharper especially on the edges. When I look at the photos side-by-side I'm a little disappointed in the performance with the M-Mount.

I myself am hoping for some engineering magic when Fuji releases the "official" M-Mount adapter, but from what little I know of engineering and optics I don't think that we will see much difference. Hopefully I am wrong.
http://www.mielkephoto.com

chekist
Like?
In reply to oistar, Apr 6, 2012

I do not see what magic can there be. It is purely a mechanical attachment. I would not make too much from the fact that it comes with delays. Clearly release of the camera was the main focus.
--
--
Eugene
http://fratkinphoto.com

chekist
Like?
In reply to Milkman, Apr 6, 2012

I do not think there is a way to produce some magic. Usually expensive adapters are expensive because they are smoother to operate and have smaller tolerances. But optical performance does not depend on that, except for focusing to infinity.

-- hide signature --
LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,568Gear list
Like?
In reply to oistar, Apr 6, 2012

What magic can it have, it is a ring. I don't think it will have any glass inside, it would be huge.

oistar wrote:

I think we will have to wait for the official Fujifilm M adapter. I doubt they spend 6 months researching and engineering an adapter which kipon released after a few days. It will probably have some magic in it.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
oistar
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?
In reply to LaFonte, Apr 8, 2012

It could for example have a rangefinder coupling which instead of using it for standard rangefinder optics could send data to the camera which in return can project anything on the OVF including a rangefinder like overlay.

All technically possible with this camera and it's unique VF.

LaFonte wrote:

What magic can it have, it is a ring. I don't think it will have any glass inside, it would be huge.

oistar wrote:

xjuanx
Junior MemberPosts: 28Gear list
Like?
In reply to chekist, Apr 9, 2012

Have the same setup as you and loving it. Also have the 35mm Voigtalnder Nokton (50mm equivalent) Still getting use to the camera.

xjuanx's gear list:xjuanx's gear list
Pentax Q Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Voigtlander 40mm F2 Ultron SL II Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads