Mini Tripod

Started Apr 5, 2012 | Discussions
tlong3234
Senior MemberPosts: 2,441Gear list
Like?
Mini Tripod
Apr 5, 2012

I have an epm-1 and would like to get a tiny tripod for hiking. A little pocketable one would be ideal. Do you have any recommendations for something heavy duty enough?
--
Tracey

tlong3234's gear list:tlong3234's gear list
Nikon D700
John.Laninga
Senior MemberPosts: 1,727Gear list
Like?
Re: Mini Tripod
In reply to tlong3234, Apr 5, 2012

I bought a Gorillapod, the smallest they make. Really can't use it though, so flimsy that the camera bounces when it should be stable. I think that for hiking I'll second a monopod that can double as a walking stick.

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm XF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,188Gear list
Like?
In reply to John.Laninga, Apr 5, 2012

Gorilla pod SLR
Or Benro Travel Angel CF. I use it as a walking stick.
--
Like others here, I suffer from chronic GAS.
Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
a few hundred nautical miles SW : 17º 52S, 149º 56W

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +4 more
ADSinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,704Gear list
Like?
UltraPods
In reply to John.Laninga, Apr 5, 2012

Look at the Ultra Pods. there are three sizes ranging from tiny to small, They are light, quite sturdy, very adaptable, and all are pocketable. I have the two larger ones and use them frequently. The largest will support an SLR with a short zoom.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=ultrapod&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Alan.
--
http://www.MotoEuro.org

ADSinger's gear list:ADSinger's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2
anthonyhnj
Regular MemberPosts: 247
Like?

Do you have any max/min height requirements? I have been using the Manfrotto MKC3-P01 Compact Tripod when I hike with my ep3 for long exposures. It works fairly well and folds down to 14in and weighs 2lbs or so. I sometimes also carry a t-Pod made by Trek-Tech, it's very very small and light and has a max height of 18in or so. It's ok and gets the job done if you are using a small camera.. Hope this helps.

Anthony
--
Somewhere, Someday, I'll get it right
http://www.onedumbphoto.com

BBbuilder467
Regular MemberPosts: 485
Like?
Re: UltraPods
In reply to ADSinger, Apr 5, 2012

I have an Ultra Pod II that I've used with my G1. It is "tiny", but there always seems to be a way to use it outdoors. The G1 with a 45-200 is about it's limit, but I've gotten by with some care. But that's a bulky, heavy lens for an m4/3.

Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,950
Like?

tlong3234 wrote:

I have an epm-1 and would like to get a tiny tripod for hiking. A little pocketable one would be ideal. Do you have any recommendations for something heavy duty enough?

I like my Slik Mini Pro III with ball-head. Jacket-pocketable. Less than $30. I prefer it to the Slik Mini Pro V (which has a somewhat ackward pan/tilt lever). Many retailers are currently back-ordered for the Slik Mini Pro III - but I see that Archer Electronics still has it in stock. At the Slik site, it looks like the Mini Pro III may be discontinued. The Slik Mini Pro DQ with quick-release looks good, too:

http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/compact_series.html

The Slik Mini Pro DQ looks to be much like the Mini Pro III in all respects other than quick release.

RSColo
Contributing MemberPosts: 608Gear list
Like?
In reply to Detail Man, Apr 5, 2012

I use this one with my GH1. I changed the head though. It even has a sack underneath to put rocks in for extra support if you need it. It's less than 3 lbs and folds to less than 18 inches, and is about $60.
--
Reid Shay
http://www.sawatchpub.com

RSColo's gear list:RSColo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +2 more
drtmw
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
In reply to BBbuilder467, Apr 5, 2012

+on ultra pods . The larger one is very serviceable for a m4/3

Tom

drtmw's gear list:drtmw's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS
Simon Zeev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,502Gear list
Like?
Not Tripod

There are places where is not allowed to put something on the floor, but something like this is OK:

I made it from a Photosniper set and a remote cable for my E-PL2.

W A R N I N G : don't use this close to security sensible areas!!! LOL

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Zeev
Simon = family name so... call me Zeev!
http://public.fotki.com/zeev-simon/
http://picasaweb.google.com/zeev.simon

Simon Zeev's gear list:Simon Zeev's gear list
Canon PowerShot S1 IS Ricoh Caplio GX100 Olympus E-500 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +3 more
Detail Man
Like?

I find when shooting in the wilds that it is often not practical or advisable or dry or stable (or a desirable shooting perspective, either) to have to place a tiny tripod on the ground - and having to get down on all fours close to the ground just to set up and shoot is no fun at all for my bones ...

Though they collapse to less than 8 Inches, the Slik mini-tripods can extend to a bit more than 11 Inches total - and can thus be used as a chest (or bended knee, etc.) pod. Very handy options

Optical1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,017Gear list
Like?

Detail Man wrote:

I see that Archer Electronics still has it in stock.

BEWARE!!! Archer Electronics is a scam. They currently have many configurations of the E-M5 in stock...for less than MSRP...while no other US retailer has the camera...

I wouldn't order anything from them!

Optical1's gear list:Optical1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Olympus PEN E-PM1 +17 more
Detail Man
Like?
In reply to Optical1, Apr 5, 2012

Optical1 wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

I see that Archer Electronics still has it in stock.

BEWARE!!! Archer Electronics is a scam. They currently have many configurations of the E-M5 in stock...for less than MSRP...while no other US retailer has the camera...

I wouldn't order anything from them!

Thanks for the input. I noticed that none of the major retailers (Amazon, B&H, Adorama, Buy.com, etc.) showed stock - so it did seem perhaps odd ...

I also think that I had a look at the Slik site a while back - and did not see the Slik Mini Pro III then, either. Looks like the Slick Mini Pro DQ (with the quick release setup) is the newer replacement item to look for. Amazon has them now. B&H a bit cheaper (but they are presently back-ordered).

ginsbu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,420Gear list
Like?
In reply to ADSinger, Apr 5, 2012

+1. I have an ultrapod II and it works very well.

ginsbu's gear list:ginsbu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +12 more
Detail Man
Like?

Detail Man wrote:

I find when shooting in the wilds that it is often not practical or advisable or dry or stable (or a desirable shooting perspective, either) to have to place a tiny tripod on the ground - and having to get down on all fours close to the ground just to set up and shoot is no fun at all for my bones ...

Though they collapse to less than 8 Inches, the Slik mini-tripods can extend to a bit more than 11 Inches total - and can thus be used as a chest (or bended knee, etc.) pod. Very handy options

Without attempting to turn this into a fanboy festival over a mini-tripod (LOL), note that the OP seeks a tripod that would be usable when hiking. That means all kinds of not flat and not level surfaces - or surfaces that cannot practically even be used (not dry, not stable, etc.). The UltraPods are tiny, all right, but they do not have legs that can be adjusted in length relative to each other, and they cannot be used as chest-pods, etc. In short, of limited actual practical utility:

http://www.industrialrev.com/ultrapod-ii.html
http://www.pedcopods.com/instru02.htm
The "ball-head" adjustment mechanism looks really cheapo.

http://www.industrialrev.com/ultrapod-ii-digital.html
The "non-ball-head" adjustment mechanism looks super cheapo.

GorillaPods ? Pretty much a joke unless one can find a nearby tree branch from which to then (as a result) limit their shooting perspective from. Miniature may be cute, but what counts is usablility

The Slik Mini Pros collapse to 8.1 Inches height, and will fit into a moderately deep jacket pocket. Why spend nearly as much $$$ on a tiny item that likely is of very limited usefulness when hiking?

Nocturnal Adventures
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?

Despite what some of the naysayers might tell you, the GorillaPod is great for hiking and performs well.

I have the SLR-Zoom model with the optional head (highly recommend the head) and find it works as advertised and I get satisfactory results with my GH1 using a 14-140mm zoom. It's definitely not as good as a $400 tripod and it has it's limitations but it gets the job done without having to lug a bulky tripod around (I use mine a lot when I'm riding around on my bicycle). It also has the ability to attach to things and work in places where a tripod won't.

Here's a link to a photo that I took using the GorillaPod - it held the camera steady enough for this 10 second exposure. I think the image speaks adequately towards the usefulness of the product.

http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=594725

The UltraPod looks pretty good too.

mfj197
Contributing MemberPosts: 525
Like?

I use the new Gorillapod Hybrid - it replaced the Gorillapod SLR (not the SLR zoom) and includes a ball head. It's light and remains attached to the outside of the camera bag wherever I go. It's also very sturdy indeed. Here's an example:

I need something lighter than my big old Manfrotto with tilt/pan head for full tripod duties though, so will look at some of the pods linked to above.

Michael

Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,799Gear list
Like?
Depends on your definition of /tiny/

Sirui, an innovative Chinese brand offers a sort of "on-your-knees" style tripod - about 4ft, fully extended that folds up quite neatly. It comes with its own little bag.

Pro Sirui T2005x - don't be fooled by the 'pro' bit, it's not meant for bulky DSLRs with bazooka-sized lenses, but it could be perfect for Pen Mini with kit zoom.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-SIRUI-T2005X-camera-Tripod-G20-Ball-Head-bag-/170586545556?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item27b7c01d94#ht_9041wt_944

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
alan49
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?

+1 on ultrapod,

u can use the velcro for a monopod use.

i also use it with 3 stakes dynema cord and cordlock for a better than nothing tripod when i need to be higher than by its own

alan49's gear list:alan49's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1
alan49
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
In reply to alan49, Apr 5, 2012

alan49's gear list:alan49's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1
Keyboard shortcuts: