ISO on 1Dx Compared to 1Ds MKII

Started Apr 4, 2012 | Discussions
anthhope
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?
ISO on 1Dx Compared to 1Ds MKII
Apr 4, 2012

Hi,

My current camera is a 1Ds MKII and I'm thinking of upgrading to the 1Dx, for its higher ISO range and improved niise performance, although the 1Ds is no slouch, but its max ISO is 3200.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the noise at ISO 3200 on the 1Dx will be equal to on the 1Ds MKII?

I'm thinking it'll be some where between 400-800 on the 1Ds. What do you think?

-- hide signature --
 anthhope's gear list:anthhope's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 +1 more
Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
chrismosk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,776Gear list
Like?
Re: ISO on 1Dx Compared to 1Ds MKII
In reply to anthhope, Apr 4, 2012

would probably say that is a safe range. the 1d mk III and IV are better than what you have and the 1dx is supposedly insane. Hell if it is better than the 5d mk III which they claim, I can't imagine what it will be like.
--

-T h a n k s C C M

chrismosk's gear list:chrismosk's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
swancake
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Re: ISO on 1Dx Compared to 1Ds MKII - Don't sell your Mk2
In reply to anthhope, Apr 4, 2012

I can't comment on the ISO performance between these models (although the 1dx appears to be in a totally different league) but what I can say is that I sold my 1ds 2 in preparation for the delivery of my 1dx, and I really regret it.

If you can put up with a screen that is from another era, keep the 1ds2, it's a truly great camera that has such an amazing feel to the images. You might get people who would argue the specification difference between new 1 series models and the mk2, but in my mind it is one of the best full frames cameras ever to be produced.

Everything from the sound of the shutter to the quality of the images is superb. You probably already know this, just don't make the mistake I made, if you can afford it, a mk2 alongside a 1dx would be an awesome set up.

PaulWa
Regular MemberPosts: 183
Like?
In reply to anthhope, Apr 5, 2012

From seeing shots from a pre-production model, ISO 4000 on a 1D X looks as good, if not better, than ISO 400 on a 1D MkIV, which would be better than your 1Ds MKII.

It is stunningly impressive at high ISO.

anthhope wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the noise at ISO 3200 on the 1Dx will be equal to on the 1Ds MKII?

-- hide signature --

Irish Freelance Sports Photographer
http://www.photography.paul-walsh.net/

jhal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
In reply to PaulWa, Apr 5, 2012

I was shooting at a rugby match last Saturday and one of the photographers had the 1Dx on test. At ISO 4000 the files were almost noiseless. I'd say the 1Dx ISO4000 looked like ISO 800 on my 1D MKIII. Very impressive and very expensive!!

The camera feels heavier and very robust. If I won the lotto I'd put my name on the waiting list

PaulWa wrote:

From seeing shots from a pre-production model, ISO 4000 on a 1D X looks as good, if not better, than ISO 400 on a 1D MkIV, which would be better than your 1Ds MKII.

It is stunningly impressive at high ISO.

anthhope wrote:

-- hide signature --

Irish Freelance Sports Photographer
http://www.photography.paul-walsh.net/

jhal's gear list:jhal's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
Michael Thomas Mitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,474
Like?

New high end cameras in general offer improved high ISO performance compared to our older models. I would have no problem believing even sight unseen that the 1Dx is going to be significantly better that our beloved 1DsII in this department.

The real question is whether you need higher ISO performance enough to warrant the expense. The 1Dx is going to be VERY pricey. Of course, you're going to be getting a lot more improvements, too, from the LCD to AF to fps and buffer, micro focus adjustment, and so forth, to say nothing of the video. Most of these more modern improvements hold very little value to me (especially the video, which adds significantly to the over all cost, I'm sure). And while I would appreciate even a small boost in high ISO performance over the 1DsII, I'm quite satisfied with 1600 on my current camera. What I can't do, however, is justify paying out so many thousands to replace something I already have and which works well for me. I'd have to charge clients a whole lot more to provide them with a difference which they may never notice.

Technologically speaking, the decision is s no brainer. But technology isn't free. Your decision is a FINANCIAL one.

anthhope wrote:

Hi,

My current camera is a 1Ds MKII and I'm thinking of upgrading to the 1Dx, for its higher ISO range and improved niise performance, although the 1Ds is no slouch, but its max ISO is 3200.

-- hide signature --
anthhope
Like?
Re: ISO on 1Dx Compared to 1Ds MKII - Don't sell your Mk2
In reply to swancake, Apr 5, 2012

Hi Swancake,

I wish I could afford to keep both, but if I do decide to get a 1Dx, I'll have to sell my MKII to help fund the purchase. I won't need to sell it though until the dealer has my 1Dx in stock.

I couldn't agree more with you about the MKII, its a fantastic camera and that's without considering its age. I would like a quieter shutter though, the one on the MKII is very loud and scares the wildlife away

Cheers

Anthony

swancake wrote:

I can't comment on the ISO performance between these models (although the 1dx appears to be in a totally different league) but what I can say is that I sold my 1ds 2 in preparation for the delivery of my 1dx, and I really regret it.

If you can put up with a screen that is from another era, keep the 1ds2, it's a truly great camera that has such an amazing feel to the images. You might get people who would argue the specification difference between new 1 series models and the mk2, but in my mind it is one of the best full frames cameras ever to be produced.

Everything from the sound of the shutter to the quality of the images is superb. You probably already know this, just don't make the mistake I made, if you can afford it, a mk2 alongside a 1dx would be an awesome set up.

-- hide signature --
Nikon 1 V2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 +1 more
anthhope
Like?
In reply to Michael Thomas Mitchell, Apr 5, 2012

Hi Michael,

Yes, totally agree. The 1Dx is very expensive, my thinking is that it will last me at least 10 years, so £5000 over 10 years is not a bad deal. Although £5000 is still to payout and its a hell of a lot of money, especially for a camera.

Cheers

Anthony

Michael Thomas Mitchell wrote:

New high end cameras in general offer improved high ISO performance compared to our older models. I would have no problem believing even sight unseen that the 1Dx is going to be significantly better that our beloved 1DsII in this department.

The real question is whether you need higher ISO performance enough to warrant the expense. The 1Dx is going to be VERY pricey. Of course, you're going to be getting a lot more improvements, too, from the LCD to AF to fps and buffer, micro focus adjustment, and so forth, to say nothing of the video. Most of these more modern improvements hold very little value to me (especially the video, which adds significantly to the over all cost, I'm sure). And while I would appreciate even a small boost in high ISO performance over the 1DsII, I'm quite satisfied with 1600 on my current camera. What I can't do, however, is justify paying out so many thousands to replace something I already have and which works well for me. I'd have to charge clients a whole lot more to provide them with a difference which they may never notice.

Technologically speaking, the decision is s no brainer. But technology isn't free. Your decision is a FINANCIAL one.

anthhope wrote:

Hi,

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
jhal
Like?

Hi Anthony,

I had a look at your web site ( very nice landscapes by the way). Why not the 5D MKIII? and spend the rest in lenses...

John

anthhope wrote:
Hi Michael,

Yes, totally agree. The 1Dx is very expensive, my thinking is that it will last me at least 10 years, so £5000 over 10 years is not a bad deal. Although £5000 is still to payout and its a hell of a lot of money, especially for a camera.

Cheers

Anthony

anthhope wrote:

Hi,

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +9 more
anthhope
Like?
In reply to jhal, Apr 5, 2012

Hi John,

Ah, thank you. I've moved away from landscape images. I just never have the time for them sadly.

Funny you should mention that about the MKIII, I've been trying to decide between either a 1DX or a fast tele lens and your suggestion means I could get both a F2.8 tele lens and a MKIII body. Its just I very much prefer the pro bodies.

Cheers

Anthony

jhal wrote:
Hi Anthony,

I had a look at your web site ( very nice landscapes by the way). Why not the 5D MKIII? and spend the rest in lenses...

John

anthhope wrote:
Hi Michael,

Cheers

Anthony

anthhope wrote:

Hi,

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
jhal
Like?

I hear you, once you get used to a pro body it's hard to go back...what 2.8 tele you have in mind and for what use?

Sounds like you are moving to sports photography or wildlife ( but 2.8 is not essential)

John

anthhope wrote:
Hi John,

Ah, thank you. I've moved away from landscape images. I just never have the time for them sadly.

Funny you should mention that about the MKIII, I've been trying to decide between either a 1DX or a fast tele lens and your suggestion means I could get both a F2.8 tele lens and a MKIII body. Its just I very much prefer the pro bodies.

Cheers

Anthony

jhal wrote:
Hi Anthony,

John

anthhope wrote:
Hi Michael,

Cheers

Anthony

anthhope wrote:

Hi,

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
andrewsf
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?
In reply to jhal, Apr 6, 2012

I'd just like to add that it's really refreshing to read a civilized thread like this. You've all restored my faith in the DPR forums!
--
http://www.andrewfordphoto.com/
http://flickr.com/photos/andrew_ford

andrewsf's gear list:andrewsf's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
David Cheok Photography
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
In reply to anthhope, Apr 6, 2012

http://www.davidcheok.com/wp/

I have actual performance results on it blogged from a demo unit. It blows everything else out of the water. There are images processed in LR from ISO3200-12800.

Bear in mind I dont review cameras for a living.. so sorry if its not a professional review.. just some thoughts.

David Cheok Photography's gear list:David Cheok Photography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +16 more
anthhope
Like?
In reply to jhal, Apr 6, 2012

Hi John,

Yes, I've started to try my hand at taking wildlife images. I'm currently using a 100-400mm, which is a bit slow at F5.6 when the light gets low, but to be honest, when the light is that low, the images are never going to be great any way and the 100-400mm is very portable and produces great images.

I've been looking at the two Sigma 300mm F2.8's the 120-300mm OS and the 300mm F2.8 prime. The Canon 300mm F2.8 MKII is too expensive for the amount of times it would be used.

I hope the above makes sense

Cheers

Anthony

jhal wrote:

I hear you, once you get used to a pro body it's hard to go back...what 2.8 tele you have in mind and for what use?

Sounds like you are moving to sports photography or wildlife ( but 2.8 is not essential)

John

anthhope wrote:
Hi John,

Cheers

Anthony

jhal wrote:
Hi Anthony,

John

anthhope wrote:
Hi Michael,

Cheers

Anthony

anthhope wrote:

Hi,

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
Per Inge Oestmoen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,650
Like?

anthhope wrote:

Hi John,

Yes, I've started to try my hand at taking wildlife images. I'm currently using a 100-400mm, which is a bit slow at F5.6 when the light gets low, but to be honest, when the light is that low, the images are never going to be great any way and the 100-400mm is very portable and produces great images.

I've been looking at the two Sigma 300mm F2.8's the 120-300mm OS and the 300mm F2.8 prime. The Canon 300mm F2.8 MKII is too expensive for the amount of times it would be used.

What about the very portable, and very good, EF 300mm 4.0 IS?

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway

Primus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144
Like?
In reply to David Cheok Photography, Apr 6, 2012

From what I've seen of the samples posted by David, the 1DX blows away anything else from Canon certainly. I just sold my 5D2 in anticipation of a delivery later this month of the 1DX. My 1DIV also does not come anywhere near it.

As for the 7D, forget about it. More noise than any of the other APS-C cameras I've had so far.

Exciting times for those of us who need good High ISO pics without the hang up of flash/strobes.

Pradeep

David Cheok Photography
Forum MemberPosts: 61Gear list
Like?
In reply to Primus, Apr 6, 2012

Doubt you would regret it. There are lots of other features on that camera other than its ISO performance that you get for that price. The AF tracking and area selection is a great addition. I'm waiting for my local distributor to bring in my own unit but that won't be for another one or two months

David Cheok Photography's gear list:David Cheok Photography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +16 more
petermk
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?

I could not agree more. Once you've shot for a while with a pro body, it's really hard to go back. I bought my 1D Mark III in 2007 and haven't really used any other cameras ever since. 5 years later, however, a $600 Rebel outperforms it as far as ISO goes. So, I figured it was time for an upgrade. First, I thought of selling my camera and getting a 1Dx, but then after handling the 5D Mark III at B&H I decided to keep what I have and just get the new 5D. I didn't like the small bodies of prosumer DSLRs, but the new 5D felt just right. My 1D Mark III is still good enough to shoot sports, while the new 5D will be used for everything else.

petermk's gear list:petermk's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 20D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
anthhope
Like?
In reply to David Cheok Photography, Apr 6, 2012

Hi David,
Has your distributor said when they expect their first delivery?

Jessops in the UK are expecting stock at the end of April.

Cheers

Anthony

David Cheok Photography wrote:

Doubt you would regret it. There are lots of other features on that camera other than its ISO performance that you get for that price. The AF tracking and area selection is a great addition. I'm waiting for my local distributor to bring in my own unit but that won't be for another one or two months

-- hide signature --
anthhope
Like?
In reply to petermk, Apr 6, 2012

Hi Peter,

How are you finding the 5d MKIII, compared to the 1d and is the 5 as responsive as the 1?

Cheers

Anthony

petermk wrote:

I could not agree more. Once you've shot for a while with a pro body, it's really hard to go back. I bought my 1D Mark III in 2007 and haven't really used any other cameras ever since. 5 years later, however, a $600 Rebel outperforms it as far as ISO goes. So, I figured it was time for an upgrade. First, I thought of selling my camera and getting a 1Dx, but then after handling the 5D Mark III at B&H I decided to keep what I have and just get the new 5D. I didn't like the small bodies of prosumer DSLRs, but the new 5D felt just right. My 1D Mark III is still good enough to shoot sports, while the new 5D will be used for everything else.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads