GXR + S10 first attempts

Started Apr 4, 2012 | Discussions
BG_CX3_DPREVIEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,741Gear list
Like?
GXR + S10 first attempts
Apr 4, 2012

I finally bought a GXR, i long thought about a GRD III, but myebay mishaps made me look at GXR.

As i have a CX3, the P10 would be double up, and the GR lenses are simply too expensive at the moment.

I hoped a GX300 would ever come alive, but since there are absolutely no rumors about this, and the Nikon J1, Canon G12 both failed my personnal criteria, i went for the long wanted GXR with S10.

The menues are as pleasing as the CX3, and they most of the time have one or two extra levels deeper (i have seen some even 4 levels deeper), but the real challange will be mastering all those key combinations to focus, set apertye, speed, etc), first impression is that this set is absolutely nothing for a non Ricoh user, unless serious dslr knowledge is available.

So stepping up from CX to GXR for a non educated photographer will really keep me seriously busy for a while.

What interests me off course the most in this combo; is IQ better than the IQ of the CX3.

Unfortunatly, i cannot tell this yet, i have only had time to try a few things, but the full manual control is extremely addictive, that is exactly what a CX misses, although a CX already has lots more controls than other PxS.

Enough said and done, i will post compairisson pics cx3/s10 later, here is my first shot.

a close up of a plastic watercontainer and its crop.

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list:BG_CX3_DPREVIEW's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 Ricoh CX6 HTC Windows Phone 8X
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon 1 J1 Ricoh CX3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
spiegellos
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: GXR + S10 first attempts
In reply to BG_CX3_DPREVIEW, Apr 4, 2012

Congrats to your new camera. I am sure this wont be the last lensor from Ricoh. The fun is beginning with the GR 50 and 28. The m-mount is a never ending story.
--
http://spiegellos.de

spiegellos's gear list:spiegellos's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rube39
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,475Gear list
Like?
In reply to spiegellos, Apr 4, 2012

Good job, and good luck with the new S10.
--
Rube
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71881102@N00/

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW
Like?
In reply to rube39, Apr 4, 2012

Hi all,

thanks for encouraging me.

I need to really study the GXR,

stupid thing, but with the cx i can set the flashmode very easy, it must be possible with th egxr too, but at the moment, i cannot modify the flashtype.(no flash, always, bulb, neon,...)

And so many screens; the cx has 3 for shooting, the gxr 5, and than sublevels.

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,126Gear list
Like?
In reply to BG_CX3_DPREVIEW, Apr 4, 2012

Enjoy you new camera, you will love it. The S10 is very nice and it is a great way to appreciate the handling of the GXR.

anthony mazzeri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,632
Like?
In reply to BG_CX3_DPREVIEW, Apr 5, 2012

Congrats on finally coming over to the GXR side. The S10 is a very good camera, you'll find actually better than the CX, even more so in low light. Just like all the enthusiast compacts such as the LX5, G12, P7100, it's a step up in image quality as well as controls and settings. Even the ability to shoot in RAW for even more control and quality.

FFF
FFF
Regular MemberPosts: 338
Like?

BG_CX3_DPREVIEW wrote:

stupid thing, but with the cx i can set the flashmode very easy, it must be possible with th egxr too, but at the moment, i cannot modify the flashtype.(no flash, always, bulb, neon,...)

simple repress the "Open" button of the flash- or use the "Direct" Button to access the most settings very fast...

Karl

reelacks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,641Gear list
Like?
In reply to FFF, Apr 5, 2012

Congrats on the new GXR machine BG,that will keep the grey matter buzzing for a while. . Tony.

PGR streetshooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 970Gear list
Like?

Ya got a great camera there my friend. I'll admit this to you and you alone....

I'm a closet S10 shooter. On the street, it does it all. Ya got IS, macro, a nice range of Focal lengths and step zoom... Oh my...step zoom!

I use it mainly for a grit machine. This way the noise in the higher ISO works visually with the image. I do love the 28 & 50 but the S10 has its place.
Congrats, there ain't a whole lot better out there....
Shooter
--
http://www.streetshooter.us

PGR streetshooter's gear list:PGR streetshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1
BG_CX3_DPREVIEW
Like?
In reply to PGR streetshooter, Apr 5, 2012

Hi all,

thanks for the warm comments on my new set.

Indeed it will keep me busy for a long time, djesus how lucky i am to have one.

Step zoom was one of the first settings i did set actually, i have this also on my CX set, not using the step zoom is far too fuzzy for me,

what is new is the 24 mm, the CX goes to 28 only, and i noticed these 4 mm make a whole difference in some situations.

Oh and i tried the digital zoom, quality of digital zoom is far better than CX, but the CX goes up to 300 optical, which is only usable on a tripod.

Also noticed the shutterspeed is 2 to 3 times faster on the GXR than on the CX, in the same conditions off course.

I was trying MF, noticed i got an extra DOF indicator on the bottom left, nice feature, but on a 1/1.7 sensor i think everything is within focus, still i want to know if i can shoot with bokeh with this small sensor.

And the MY setting, now 3 in stead of 2, plus 6 boxes to store others, great, i already will program the 2 ones i have in my CX, and i guess i'll make some boxes for streetshooting, others for portrait, indoor, omg, possibilites are endless with the GXR.

I wonder how long it will take to grow the settings automatically in my fingers, with the CX is manage to switch settings one hand without looking at the display...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads