What software do you use to orgaize your pictures?

Started Apr 4, 2012 | Discussions
dick707
Senior MemberPosts: 2,735Gear list
Like?
What software do you use to orgaize your pictures?
Apr 4, 2012

I have thousands of pictures in hundreds of folders - what do you use to organize them on your PC?

Thanks
Dick
http://www.pbase.com/dick707

dick707's gear list:dick707's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Apple iPhone 4S +2 more
NBDR
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?
Good read "Thousands of Images, Now What?"
In reply to dick707, Apr 4, 2012

A good read - just came out March 2012: Mike Hagan's Thousands of Images, Now What: Painlessly Organize, Save, and Back Up Your Digital Photos

http://www.amazon.com/Thousands-Images-Now-What-Painlessly/dp/0470582081

Describes various organizational approaches, file naming schemes, software alternatives, pros & cons, keywording to simplify 'finding' images, backup alternatives including "to the cloud," recovery, etc. Practical/useful info. Check out "Look inside" at Amazon for more content info.

Based on my own needs, workflow, preferences I am going to give Photo Mechanic a long look.
--
'Live for today, but plan for tomorrow.'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,767
Like?
Re: What software do you use to orgaize your pictures?

I use Lightroom.

You may want to read "The DAM Book" by Peter Krogh. He goes over strategies for managing and backing up huge libraries of images.
http://www.thedambook.com/

dj_paige
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
In reply to graybalanced, Apr 4, 2012

Another positive recommendation for Lightroom, and for "The DAM Book"

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

JudyN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,835Gear list
Like?

Lightroom.

-- hide signature --
 JudyN's gear list:JudyN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,785Gear list
Like?
Lightroom

I've around 56,000 pictures in 700 folders, and Lightroom makes it very fast and easy to find things. However, there are cheaper solutions unless you also want the other features of Lightroom
--
Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,469
Like?
For me, Lightroom. . .

Although I'm very impressed with ACDSee Pro, I'll probably stick with Lr. I really like the ability to avoid the sidecar files by using dng.
--
I'm so bright, my father calls me son.

Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.jpgmag.com/people/glenbarrington/photos

Jim B (MSP)
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,601
Like?
Media Pro and, to a lesser extent, LR
In reply to dick707, Apr 5, 2012

I am running Media Pro and Lightroom 4 in parallel, as I wanted to give Lightroom 4 a good shakedown. I use Capture One for 75% of my raw conversions, with LR picking up the rest. Media Pro integrates very well with CO.

In my opinion, while LR runs quite well, I prefer the interface and the overall speed of Media Pro. I seem to be able to find a photo faster and easier in MP vs LR; though LR is generally adequate.

In my case, I am starting out in MP, save the keywords et al to side car files, then sync with LR. Everything but the color labels comes in nicely. This is not a lot of work to be able to use each for its strengths.

-- hide signature --

Jim

graybalanced
Like?
Re: Media Pro and, to a lesser extent, LR
In reply to Jim B (MSP), Apr 5, 2012

I switched form iView Media Pro to Lightroom because of Media Pro's continued inability to do things Lightroom easily could, like report a proper metadata sync status and sort order. That was just the beginning, I just got fed up after a while.

Although I used Media Pro for years, Lightroom simply proved to be more efficient and powerful overall. I still use Media Pro here and there, mostly when I have a small project that doesn't need the catalog overhead that Lightroom needs, but Media Pro has not kept up well with modern needs, after following the software through Microsoft and Capture One. This is a sad thing to say since I had a lot of respect for Media Pro.

Jim B (MSP)
Like?
In reply to graybalanced, Apr 5, 2012

graybalanced wrote:

I switched form iView Media Pro to Lightroom ....

Although I used Media Pro for years, .... but Media Pro has not kept up well with modern needs, after following the software through Microsoft and Capture One.

As you know, the new Media Pro has been out for only a year. Before that, it was Expression Media, and before that iView.

I never used iView, but I did use Expression Media. I now use the latest CO release of Media Pro. Is it perfect? No. It needs some work to keep the users happy.
Is LR perfect? I'd say no; though it is quite decent.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I prefer Media Pro, and I also prefer Capture One. They also integrate fairly well.

-- hide signature --

Jim

dick707
Senior MemberPosts: 2,735Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the input - Looks like Lightroom and Media Pro are popular

Dick

dick707's gear list:dick707's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Apple iPhone 4S +2 more
Sue2404
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?

Having used iView for years then been less than enchanted with Expression Media and thoroughly disgruntled with Media Pro (SOOOOOOO slow - rendering of NEF files was ridiculous) I made the move to Lightroom. It's proving a steep learning curve in some respects but ultimately I think I'm going to be happy. There is much I like better in MP but the speed - or lack of - made it unusable for me. (Too long a story to go into but I have 2 iMac's in 2 locations - one running Leopard and the other Snow Leopard.)
--
Sue

Sue2404's gear list:Sue2404's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200
Jim B (MSP)
Like?
In reply to Sue2404, Apr 5, 2012

Sue2404 wrote:

...Media Pro (SOOOOOOO slow - rendering of NEF files was ridiculous).... I have 2 iMac's in 2 locations - one running Leopard and the other Snow Leopard.)
--

Yes, from what I have read from other users, rendering of NEFs is very slow.
I shoot a Canon, and the rendering of my raws is quite decent, comparable to LR.

Also, from what I can tell from the user boards, those that use a Mac have many more problems than those of us on Windows. This may be related to the Microsoft history.

-- hide signature --

Jim

rponiarski
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?

I was using the Organizer in PS Elements, but have recently started using Aftershot Pro from Corel (basically the new Bibble) and am very pleased so far. It is very similar to Lightroom, but less expensive and maybe a bit quicker (at least on my 3 year old system). You can get a free trial on Corel's website and see if it appeals to you.
--
Richard M. Poniarski
Not a speaker for anyone but myself.
"Everyone is entitled to the reality of their own choice"

rponiarski's gear list:rponiarski's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
fuego6
Senior MemberPosts: 1,663
Like?

The one..t he only.. IDimager!

fuego6
Like?
In reply to dj_paige, Apr 5, 2012

dj_paige wrote:

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

That book is way out of date now... better to just read the forums here and learn.

fuego6
Like?
Re: Good read "Thousands of Images, Now What?"
In reply to NBDR, Apr 5, 2012

Photo mechanic is not a true DAM - no catalog.. so searching your images is not available - just tagging them really well. Much better off with a DAM product such as Idiamger or Lightroom...

graybalanced
Like?

Jim B (MSP) wrote:

As you know, the new Media Pro has been out for only a year. Before that, it was Expression Media, and before that iView.

I never used iView, but I did use Expression Media. I now use the latest CO release of Media Pro. Is it perfect? No. It needs some work to keep the users happy.

Not sure where that line of reasoning is leading. What you're describing is the entire reason so many of us were disgruntled. "...out for only a year..." But we waited a couple years while iView Multimedia failed to keep it up to date. Then we waited another couple of years while Microsoft bought it, rebranded it, and let it sink into un-maintained obscurity. Then we waited another year after Phase One bought it, with the hope that finally, a photography-oriented company was going to do something with it, but all we got were some extremely disappointed users in the Phase One forums. I held out a while before exercising my long-time-user iView discount to upgrade to the current Media Pro, because up to that point, the last (2007) edition of iView still worked better. And I was stunned when the current Media Pro would actually have a visible redraw delay while building previews of simple, web-resolution JPEGs. Five years...and this is what we get? Saying it's been "...out for only a year..." is to completely not recognize the half-decade-long tragedy of (formerly) loyal users waiting for Media Pro.

fuego6 wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

That book is way out of date now... better to just read the forums here and learn.

Are you saying even the latest edition of the book is out of date? I still think there is much more big-picture information in there than most forum posters will supply. Backup, organizational, and archiving concepts that are not tied to any specific software, and therefore never go out of date.

dj_paige
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
In reply to graybalanced, Apr 6, 2012

graybalanced wrote:

fuego6 wrote:

dj_paige wrote:

Are you saying even the latest edition of the book is out of date? I still think there is much more big-picture information in there than most forum posters will supply. Backup, organizational, and archiving concepts that are not tied to any specific software, and therefore never go out of date.

Smart words, graybalanced. Well said!

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

Deji
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?
Lightroom 4.0
In reply to dick707, Apr 6, 2012
-- hide signature --

Deji

Deji's gear list:Deji's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads