5DIII and AF @f8 works great

Started Apr 4, 2012 | Discussions
ArminH
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
5DIII and AF @f8 works great
Apr 4, 2012

Today I tried my 100-400 and the Kenko Teleplus MC4 (1.4x converter).

400mm = f8 and the 5DIII focus is still very fast and spot on even when using the outer points.
Much better than the 1DsIII - there only worked the central point.

... now waiting for better weather

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Birdman7
Contributing MemberPosts: 912Gear list
Like?
Re: without taped pins?
In reply to ArminH, Apr 4, 2012

Have u tried it on the canon ef400l F5.6 with the kenko or canon 1.4?
--
http://birdphototours.wordpress.com/

Birdman7's gear list:Birdman7's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ArminH
Like?
In reply to Birdman7, Apr 4, 2012

I used the Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6 L and the Kenko 1.4.

The 100-400 is only 5.6 at 400mm so both together are f8

I expected that the AF would not work at all since they wrote it will work only up to f5.6. My old 1DsIII was able to AF but only when I use the central point - and AF was not very fast.

Because we have very cloudy weather here I shoot @ ISO1600 and ISO3200 and the AF was very fast on all AF points.

(these are NO great shoots only some tests in the garden)

-- hide signature --
ronm2008
Regular MemberPosts: 457
Like?

I thought I read that for autofocus on lenses with a range of maximum apertures, you use the largest aperture no matter what the zoom is at. Either way, 4.5 x 1.4 is still more than 5.6, so it is surprising that autofocus worked.

I wonder if the Kenko somehow confused the camera. The autofocus is not just aperture dependent, but also seems to depend on the actual lens.

Its great news that autofocus worked so well

ArminH
Like?
In reply to ronm2008, Apr 4, 2012

Yes, the 100-400 has max aperture of 4.5 @100mm.
In case it's used @400mm than the max aperture is only 5.6.

the 1.4 add's a stop to both.

... and yes, all without taped pins
--
http://www.naturepixel.de

bradleyg5
Regular MemberPosts: 397
Like?

Wow F8 ISO 3200 and only 1/250 shutter. That's very dim, impressive it can do that at all nevermind well.

Olgierd
Regular MemberPosts: 390Gear list
Like?
In reply to Birdman7, Apr 4, 2012

I'll tape my x1.4 and try it on 100-400. I'm very curious now.

-- hide signature --

Olgierd

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good or bad I'm guy with a big lens.

Olgierd's gear list:Olgierd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
ArminH
Like?
In reply to bradleyg5, Apr 4, 2012

Yes, as long as the bird don't move - the IS of the 100-400 works quite nice.
--

ArminH
Like?

btw. this are 100% crops - the birds are not this close
--

Victor Engel
Forum ProPosts: 15,394Gear list
Like?

Are those out of focus roof tiles in the background of the first shot? Otherwise, it looks like the diagonal bokeh you get sometimes with a filter mounted in front of the lens.
--

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
kevindar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,735Gear list
Like?
Just tried it

and you are right. works surprisingly well. better than my 5d2, and definitely better than 7d. Using a taped pin kenko pro 1.4x
iso 1250, f 10

100% crop

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 +23 more
ArminH
Like?
In reply to Victor Engel, Apr 4, 2012

Yes, these are roof tiles from the neighbors hours - I shoot out of the windows (first floor) and the birds were in my garden.
--

GatanoII
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?
yes kenko DGX will AF at F8 without tape on pins

ArminH wrote:

I used the Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6 L and the Kenko 1.4.

The 100-400 is only 5.6 at 400mm so both together are f8

I expected that the AF would not work at all since they wrote it will work only up to f5.6. My old 1DsIII was able to AF but only when I use the central point - and AF was not very fast.

I have both 2.0X and 1.4X kenko DGX and in the paper with the extenders it's written that it will enable AF with glass that is faster than F5.6 for the 1.4X extender (and F4 for the 2X)

I can confirm that with good light F8 aperture glass combination can be used with AF, even staking the two extenders

so the kenko digital circuit on purpose allows AF at apertures that canon instead will disable (i.e. F8), what it's interesting is that the 5DIII AF will work on all points at F8 even with relatively low light

ArminH
Like?
Re: yes kenko DGX will AF at F8 without tape on pins
In reply to GatanoII, Apr 4, 2012

Yes, while switching from the 1DsIII to the 5DIII I was afraid about this f8 AF - but now it even works better than before - great camera!

-- hide signature --
Taikonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 2,513
Like?
Re: 5DIII and AF @f8 works great

This is great news. One of the alleged limitation of the 5DIII and most likely 1DX has been overcame and possibly improved on. Even less reason to jump ship. More test is needed though.

GatanoII
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?
In reply to Taikonaut, Apr 4, 2012

Taikonaut wrote:

This is great news. One of the alleged limitation of the 5DIII and most likely 1DX has been overcame and possibly improved on. Even less reason to jump ship. More test is needed though.

If canon did had some F8 points in the 5DIII and 1DX with a kenko extender it could eventually AF on F11 glass combo, but F11 is extreme and we can all be happy that the new AF module works well with kenko extenders also at F8

now let's hope that canon recognize this and will enable AF also with their own extenders, i.e. upgrade the firmware and with a custom function enable/disable AF with F8 glass, sure kenko extenders are almost as good as canon for a fraction of the price, but are not sealed ...

obviously the reason to eventually jump ship (not me) is not the AF, but resolution and DR (and to some extent video), hopefully next canon camera will address this limits (soon!!!) that can't be solved that easy like using third party extenders, but at least AF is not something that will be worrying anymore

Olgierd
Regular MemberPosts: 390Gear list
Like?
Works (nt)
In reply to Olgierd, Apr 6, 2012

nt

-- hide signature --

Olgierd

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good or bad I'm guy with a big lens.

Olgierd's gear list:Olgierd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
Taikonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 2,513
Like?
In reply to GatanoII, Apr 6, 2012

I wouldnt jump ship because of the video. Clean HDMI out on D4/D800 is joke and it is moire ridden. Unfortunately nearly all Nikon lens cannot resolve 36mp properly.

GatanoII wrote:

Taikonaut wrote:

If canon did had some F8 points in the 5DIII and 1DX with a kenko extender it could eventually AF on F11 glass combo, but F11 is extreme and we can all be happy that the new AF module works well with kenko extenders also at F8

now let's hope that canon recognize this and will enable AF also with their own extenders, i.e. upgrade the firmware and with a custom function enable/disable AF with F8 glass, sure kenko extenders are almost as good as canon for a fraction of the price, but are not sealed ...

obviously the reason to eventually jump ship (not me) is not the AF, but resolution and DR (and to some extent video), hopefully next canon camera will address this limits (soon!!!) that can't be solved that easy like using third party extenders, but at least AF is not something that will be worrying anymore

ArminH
Like?
In reply to Taikonaut, Apr 7, 2012

Now with a little bit more light it works even better - waiting for the sun!

-- hide signature --
GordonAtWork
Regular MemberPosts: 451Gear list
Like?
Re: 5DIII and AF @f8 works great How is it on tracking though ? nt
In reply to ArminH, Apr 7, 2012
-- hide signature --

Moderator wannabe !

GordonAtWork's gear list:GordonAtWork's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS D60 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads