5D3 Registering AF point in AI Servo & 61pt auto selection AF

Started Apr 4, 2012 | Discussions
Olgierd
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?
5D3 Registering AF point in AI Servo & 61pt auto selection AF
Apr 4, 2012

I'm trying to customize my 5D3 to use registered AF point.

Following manual (page 324), having camera AF in AI Servo, I'm able to configure AF-ON button to switch to registered AF point when AF is set to Single-point AF, Single-point Spot AF, AF expansion but not when 61-point automatic selection is used.

According to the manual it is possible. Camera lets me select AF point of my choice and register it. However, after I select different point and then push AF-ON it never switches back to registered point.

Am I doing something wrong here?

-- hide signature --

Olgierd

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good or bad I'm guy with a big lens.

Olgierd's gear list:Olgierd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
M Mason
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D3 Registering AF point in AI Servo & 61pt auto selection AF
In reply to Olgierd, Apr 4, 2012
 M Mason's gear list:M Mason's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Olgierd
Like?
In reply to M Mason, Apr 4, 2012

Still, can't find answer to my question. Nice set of tutorials. Especially one expanding manual on Servo AF cases.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Olgierd

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,381Gear list
Like?
In reply to Olgierd, Apr 4, 2012

Olgierd wrote:

Following manual (page 324), having camera AF in AI Servo, I'm able to configure AF-ON button to switch to registered AF point when AF is set to Single-point AF, Single-point Spot AF, AF expansion but not when 61-point automatic selection is used.

According to the manual it is possible. Camera lets me select AF point of my choice and register it. However, after I select different point and then push AF-ON it never switches back to registered point.

Have you configured the AF-ON button, or any other button, to "switch to registered AF point?" This is a little tricky. This function can be assigned to any of the same buttons that AF and metering on can be assigned to. But during the assignment, you need to press INFO to get additional options. This allows you to select between AF with the selected point and AF with the registered point. In my case, I kept AF with the selected point assigned to my AF-ON button, and assigned AF with the registered point to my * button.

Hope this helps.

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Olgierd
Like?
In reply to bhollis, Apr 4, 2012

Thanks for reply. Yes, I have AF-ON set to switch to registered AF point. As I've said it works when single, single spot or expanded is selected but not when 61pt auto AF is.

This is interesting to have AF-ON to go to registered and * to go to selected AF point. I like this idea and will certainly try it.

bhollis wrote:

Olgierd wrote:

Have you configured the AF-ON button, or any other button, to "switch to registered AF point?" This is a little tricky. This function can be assigned to any of the same buttons that AF and metering on can be assigned to. But during the assignment, you need to press INFO to get additional options. This allows you to select between AF with the selected point and AF with the registered point. In my case, I kept AF with the selected point assigned to my AF-ON button, and assigned AF with the registered point to my * button.

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Olgierd

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads